[tw] [TW5] edit-text widget with popup
FrD
2015-10-24 13:06:06 UTC

I've read in the doc (http://tiddlywiki.com/#EditTextWidget) that the
edit-text widget can trigger a popup with the option
focusPopup="PopupStateTiddler".

I've tried to use this construct but with no results. My goal was to have a
popup appear with buttons to give a value to the field (via
action-setfield) and a button to close the popup.

As there is no documentation or exemple in the doc, can anybody explain how
to make this work ?

Thanks in advance.

FrD
Jed Carty
2015-10-24 14:21:56 UTC
I had never noticed that before. The popup mechanism is the same as with
the button widget, you can use something like:

<$edit-text tiddler='foo' popupFocus='bar'/>

<$reveal type='popup' state='bar'>
Something here
</$reveal>

although nothing has been staying visible for more than just a second.

I will poke it a bit more and see what I can do. Unfortunately the popup
mechanism doesn't have very good documentation either.
FrD
2015-10-24 14:29:14 UTC
Hi Jed,

Thank you for looking at this.
I've posted just after you and didn't see your text. In fact I did try what
you propose. It works (not as good as I thought) in Chrome but does not
work in firefox; at least for me (firefow 41.0.2, windows 8.1)

FrD
FrD
2015-10-24 14:22:28 UTC

I managed to have it working. The code looks like :

<$edit-text tiddler="AuxTest" field="inputfield" focusPopup="PopupState"/>
<$reveal type="popup" state="PopupState" class="tc-popup-keep">

{{PopupTiddler}}

With a <$reveal> after the <$edit-text> it works; at least if you keep the
mouse button down until you reach the popup !
PopupTiddler is displayed inside a popup. This tiddler has a button to
close the popup by deleting the state tiddler as shown by Eric Shulman (
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tiddlywiki/Ggm1-oblWP8/ys4OZyYaEAAJ)

FrD
Hi,
Jeremy Ruston
2015-10-24 14:29:07 UTC
Here’s a very simple example of a dropdown using focusPopup:

—

Editing TargetTiddler.

<$edit-text tiddler="TargetTiddler" tag="input" default="" focusPopup="$:/state/demo" class="tc-popup-handle"/>
<$reveal state="$:/state/demo" type="nomatch" text="" default="">
<$linkcatcher to="TargetTiddler">
[[A value to set]]
[[Another value]]
[[These links could be generated]]
[[by a list widget, too]]
</$linkcatcher>
</$reveal>

—

I’d welcome a documentation contribution on this.

Best wishes

Jeremy.
Post by FrD
Hi,
<$edit-text tiddler="AuxTest" field="inputfield" focusPopup="PopupState"/>
<$reveal type="popup" state="PopupState" class="tc-popup-keep">
{{PopupTiddler}}
With a <$reveal> after the <$edit-text> it works; at least if you keep the mouse button down until you reach the popup !
PopupTiddler is displayed inside a popup. This tiddler has a button to close the popup by deleting the state tiddler as shown by Eric Shulman (https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tiddlywiki/Ggm1-oblWP8/ys4OZyYaEAAJ <https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tiddlywiki/Ggm1-oblWP8/ys4OZyYaEAAJ>)
FrD
Hi,
I've read in the doc (http://tiddlywiki.com/#EditTextWidget <http://tiddlywiki.com/#EditTextWidget>) that the edit-text widget can trigger a popup with the option focusPopup="PopupStateTiddler".
FrD
2015-10-24 14:36:21 UTC
Hi Jeremy,

Thank you for your answer. Your example works well.

The difference with the code I wrote is the class attribute of the
edit-text widget.
I rewrote my use case with this class attribute in the edit-text widget and
removed the class attribute of the reveal (which was "tc-popup-keep").
Now it's all good.

FrD
Post by Jeremy Ruston
—
[...]
Post by FrD
Hi,
I've read in the doc (http://tiddlywiki.com/#EditTextWidget) that the
edit-text widget can trigger a popup with the option
focusPopup="PopupStateTiddler".
I've tried to use this construct but with no results. My goal was to have
a popup appear with buttons to give a value to the field (via
action-setfield) and a button to close the popup.
As there is no documentation or exemple in the doc, can anybody explain
how to make this work ?
Thanks in advance.
FrD
<javascript:>.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/22ffdfb8-9a08-44ad-a0b0-48628ea3409e%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/22ffdfb8-9a08-44ad-a0b0-48628ea3409e%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.
FrD
2015-10-30 20:40:36 UTC
Hi Jeremy,

I'm back on this topic.

How would I modify the code in order to set a field in the TargetTiddler (different from the text field) ?
The only way I found was to use buttons in the dropdown with <$action-setField ...>.
I was wondering if there is somethin much simpler like the use of the <$link> and <$linkcatcher> widgets.

Thanks

FrD
Matabele
2015-10-31 08:57:51 UTC
Hi

Not sure exactly what you're looking for, but try something like this:

<$edit-text tiddler="$:/temp/input" tag="input" default=""
focusPopup="$:/state/demo" class="tc-popup-handle"/>
<$reveal state="$:/state/demo" type="nomatch" text="" default="">
<$linkcatcher to="TargetTiddler!!myfield">
[[A value to set]]
[[Another value]]
[[These links could be generated]]
[[by a list widget, too]]
</$linkcatcher>
</$reveal>

Note: All I have changed is the TextReference of the 'to=' attribute of the
$linkcatcher widget -- now points to a field

regards
FrD
2015-10-31 11:22:25 UTC
Hi Matabele,

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a lot. I should have tried that but believed that the "to" attribute had to be a tiddler.

FrD
Tobias Beer
2016-01-10 12:05:58 UTC
Hi Matabele,

Not sure exactly what you're looking for, but try something like this:
I tried to add the class tc-popup-keep
<http://tiddlywiki.com/#PopupMechanism> to the reveal, but the popup won't
be sticky.
Any ideas how to make a reveal given focus by an edit-text-widget not close
when clicking inside?

Best wishes,

Tobias.
Tobias Beer
2016-01-10 13:18:01 UTC
Hi Matabele,
Post by Tobias Beer
I tried to add the class tc-popup-keep
<http://tiddlywiki.com/#PopupMechanism> to the reveal, but the popup
won't be sticky.
Any ideas how to make a reveal given focus by an edit-text-widget not
close when clicking inside?
I figured it out. It needs both classes *tc-popup* AND *tc-popup-keep*.

Best wishes,

Tobias.
William Jackson
2016-01-10 14:36:09 UTC
Hi Tobias

OK thanks — I’ll give this a try.

regards

On 10 January 2016 at 3:18:17 PM, Tobias Beer (***@gmail.com) wrote:

Hi Matabele,

I tried to add the class tc-popup-keep to the reveal, but the popup won't be sticky.

Matabele
2016-01-11 17:21:10 UTC
Hi

Another simple mechanism to get a sticky popup for editing (the second
reveal widget isn't necessary):

<$checkbox field="state" checked="edit" unchecked="hide"/>
<$reveal state="!!state" type="match" text="edit">
<$edit-text tiddler="target" field="text"/>
</$reveal>
<$reveal state="!!state" type="match" text="hide">
Click to Edit
</$reveal>

regards
Post by FrD
Hi Matabele,
Tobias Beer
2016-01-12 06:57:08 UTC
Hi Matabele,

Nice tip, here's a slightly pimped up version:

\define qualifyState() <<qualify $:/temp/check-edit/$(currentTiddler)$

<$vars currentTiddler="HelloThere">
<$vars state=<<qualifyState>>>
<$checkbox tiddler=<<state>> field="text" checked="edit" unchecked="" class=
"check-edit">{{$:/core/images/edit-button}}</$checkbox> <$link><$view field=
"title"/></$link>
<$reveal state=<<state>> type="match" text="edit">
<$edit-text tiddler=<<target>> field="text" class="tc-edit-texteditor"
minHeight="200px" autoHeight="yes"/>
</$reveal>
</$vars>
</$vars>
.check-edit input{display:none;}
.check-edit svg{fill:grey;height:1em;width:1em;curser:pointer;}
.check-edit:hover svg{fill:black;}

Best wishes,

Tobias.
Matabele
2016-01-12 07:16:13 UTC
Hi Tobias

Nice -- I have a couple of applications for this version.

regards
Post by FrD
Hi Matabele,
Tobias Beer
2016-01-12 16:38:31 UTC
Hi Matabele,
Post by Matabele
Nice -- I have a couple of applications for this version.
One thing I am not sure about with this is:
There is no "click to save" or "cancel" here.
So, this feels quite unsafe as an editor.

I'll see if I can't have tobibeer/inc
<http://tobibeer.github.io/tw5-plugins/#inc> (alternatively) use an inline
ui
...with the appropriate buttons save and cancel buttons.

Best wishes,

Tobias.
Matabele
2016-01-12 18:03:28 UTC
Hi Tobias

The application I had in mind is for entering data, beginning with a blank
form. I prefer pop-up type edit-text boxes, as I have several different
sections of the form into which to enter data. I 're-use' the same
edit-text box to enter data into each section of the form -- by simply
switching the target field. I want quick and efficient -- click to save and
cancel aren't therefore an issue.

regards
Tobias Beer
2016-01-12 18:21:17 UTC
Hi Matabele,
Post by Matabele
The application I had in mind is for entering data, beginning with a blank
form. I prefer pop-up type edit-text boxes, as I have several different
sections of the form into which to enter data...
Be so kind as to post an example at some point,
for us to have a look at how your overall editing process works.

Best wishes,

Tobias.
Alex Hough
2016-01-13 22:40:43 UTC
a possible use case would be to edit an image in situ. I've tried the code
with a png drawn in TW, but it gets opened as data no the image

I drew a picture and used it to create a thumbnail using the thumbnail
macro. It would be nice to update a image without opening it and for that
image to propagate though to the thumbnail.

best wishes

Alex
Post by FrD
Hi Matabele,
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/c467c512-546b-4393-8005-f1aa1e431d5b%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/c467c512-546b-4393-8005-f1aa1e431d5b%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.
Jed Carty
2015-10-24 16:58:06 UTC
This will be helpful for giving instructions instead of some of the other
buttons I have been using.