[tw] Request for Input: BibTeX to Tiddler conversion method
Tierney Coren
2015-09-07 23:11:16 UTC
Hello!

I've taken on some work using tiddlywiki. One of the components of it is to
convert BibTeX documents into tiddlers.

I'm thinking I can do this via a npm module, but I'd like to know if
there's a more simple way to do the conversion in TW5, without relying on
an external source (Node). I'm not afraid of using Node in any capacity, so
if there are modules I could build upon, I'd love to hear about them.

In regards to the actual conversion, would converting it to JSON be enough
to import the BibTeX as tiddlers with tags, names, and content?

Thanks,
Tierney C.
Tierney Coren
Evolena
2015-09-08 06:40:45 UTC
You can easily import tiddlers stored in json files in Tiddlywiki. Try to
export (Advanced Search, "Filters" tab) a selection of tiddlers in JSON, to
look at how it is structured.
BJ
2015-09-08 12:46:13 UTC
Hi Tierney,
I have used this parser:
https://github.com/mikolalysenko/bibtex-parser. (mit license)

Which I have used to make a simple action widget to convert a single bibtex
entry, the code (what little there is!) is here:
https://github.com/buggyj/tw5-plugins/blob/master/bibtek/BibTex.js
I don't plan on adding to this in the near future.

I think Felix's idea of importing is good, but i would suggest you to write
an upgrader module - these are run when stuff is imported.
all the best

BJ
Jeremy Ruston
2015-09-08 16:58:25 UTC
Post by BJ
I think Felix's idea of importing is good, but i would suggest you to
write an upgrader module - these are run when stuff is imported.
Better still would be to add a deserialiser. Deserialisers are invoked to
extract tiddlers from files identified by their extension and/or MIME type.
Here are the built-in deserialisers:

https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/blob/master/boot/boot.js#L1211-L1281
https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/blob/master/core/modules/deserializers.js

Best wishes

Jeremy.
Post by BJ
all the best
BJ
Post by Tierney Coren
Hello!
I've taken on some work using tiddlywiki. One of the components of it is
to convert BibTeX documents into tiddlers.
I'm thinking I can do this via a npm module, but I'd like to know if
there's a more simple way to do the conversion in TW5, without relying on
an external source (Node). I'm not afraid of using Node in any capacity, so
if there are modules I could build upon, I'd love to hear about them.
In regards to the actual conversion, would converting it to JSON be
enough to import the BibTeX as tiddlers with tags, names, and content?
Thanks,
Tierney C.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/bdc71fc8-5eb9-4505-8107-3be70ca071dc%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/bdc71fc8-5eb9-4505-8107-3be70ca071dc%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.
Jeremy Ruston
mailto:***@gmail.com
Tierney Coren
2015-09-08 23:12:57 UTC
How hard is it to create one? They don't look too complicated - is there
any documentation on writing a deserialiser?
Post by Jeremy Ruston
Post by BJ
I think Felix's idea of importing is good, but i would suggest you to
write an upgrader module - these are run when stuff is imported.
Better still would be to add a deserialiser. Deserialisers are invoked to
extract tiddlers from files identified by their extension and/or MIME type.
https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/blob/master/boot/boot.js#L1211-L1281
https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/blob/master/core/modules/deserializers.js
Best wishes
Jeremy.
Post by BJ
all the best
BJ
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/CAPKKYJZ7VhXN_K7SVyfkxX-L%3DfKyVBGjcJ4Wtsagp%3DWHA6-1cg%40mail.gmail.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/CAPKKYJZ7VhXN_K7SVyfkxX-L%3DfKyVBGjcJ4Wtsagp%3DWHA6-1cg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.
BJ
2015-09-09 07:23:04 UTC
I don't think that there is anyway to add a deserialiser as a plugin - they
are part of the boot, so you would need to convince Jeremy to accept a pull
request
Also you would need to define the mime-type.
Post by Jeremy Ruston
Post by BJ
I think Felix's idea of importing is good, but i would suggest you to
write an upgrader module - these are run when stuff is imported.
Better still would be to add a deserialiser. Deserialisers are invoked to
extract tiddlers from files identified by their extension and/or MIME type.
https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/blob/master/boot/boot.js#L1211-L1281
https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/blob/master/core/modules/deserializers.js
Best wishes
Jeremy.
Post by BJ
all the best
BJ
Post by Tierney Coren
Hello!
I've taken on some work using tiddlywiki. One of the components of it
is to convert BibTeX documents into tiddlers.
I'm thinking I can do this via a npm module, but I'd like to know if
there's a more simple way to do the conversion in TW5, without relying on
an external source (Node). I'm not afraid of using Node in any capacity, so
if there are modules I could build upon, I'd love to hear about them.
In regards to the actual conversion, would converting it to JSON be
enough to import the BibTeX as tiddlers with tags, names, and content?
Thanks,
Tierney C.
<javascript:>.
Alex Hough
2015-09-09 07:57:11 UTC
Dear All

My 2€ : I think it would be a good strategic development...

Alex
Post by Jeremy Ruston
Post by BJ
I think Felix's idea of importing is good, but i would suggest you to
write an upgrader module - these are run when stuff is imported.
Better still would be to add a deserialiser. Deserialisers are invoked
to extract tiddlers from files identified by their extension and/or MIME
https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/blob/master/boot/boot.js#L1211-L1281
https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/blob/master/core/modules/deserializers.js
Best wishes
Jeremy.
Post by BJ
all the best
BJ
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/cb76f480-5a12-4841-b40c-a8e5c50b54ec%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/cb76f480-5a12-4841-b40c-a8e5c50b54ec%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.
Jeremy Ruston
2015-09-09 08:00:41 UTC
Hi BJ
Post by BJ
I don't think that there is anyway to add a deserialiser as a plugin -
they are part of the boot, so you would need to convince Jeremy to accept a
pull request
The current limitation is just that any deserialisers in plugins will not
be available during the loading of the main wiki folder under Node.js. It's
possible to have a deserialiser in a plugin that is available for
interactive imports.
Post by BJ
Also you would need to define the mime-type.
That's correct, thanks for picking it up,

Best wishes

Jeremy.
Post by Jeremy Ruston
Post by BJ
I think Felix's idea of importing is good, but i would suggest you to
write an upgrader module - these are run when stuff is imported.
Better still would be to add a deserialiser. Deserialisers are invoked
to extract tiddlers from files identified by their extension and/or MIME
https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/blob/master/boot/boot.js#L1211-L1281
https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/blob/master/core/modules/deserializers.js
Best wishes
Jeremy.
Post by BJ
all the best
BJ
Tierney Coren
2015-09-10 13:45:35 UTC
Jeremy,

So we've been able to drag and drop a bibfile into TW5, and it imports the
text contents into a tiddler via the import tool. Is there documentation or
a way I can hook into that and parse it to insert the contents into a new
tiddler? We're looking for the simplest possible way to do this.

BJ,

Is this what your interpreter does?

Thanks,
Tierney C.
Post by Jeremy Ruston
Hi BJ
Post by Jeremy Ruston
Post by BJ
I think Felix's idea of importing is good, but i would suggest you to
write an upgrader module - these are run when stuff is imported.
Better still would be to add a deserialiser. Deserialisers are invoked
to extract tiddlers from files identified by their extension and/or MIME
https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/blob/master/boot/boot.js#L1211-L1281
https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/blob/master/core/modules/deserializers.js
Best wishes
Jeremy.
Post by BJ
all the best
BJ
Jeremy Ruston
2015-09-10 13:58:57 UTC
Hi Tierney

Post by Tierney Coren
text contents into a tiddler via the import tool. Is there documentation or
a way I can hook into that and parse it to insert the contents into a new
tiddler? We're looking for the simplest possible way to do this.
That's exactly what you can accomplish by creating a new deserialiser
module; see the references above for examples of existing ones. As BJ
noted, you'll also need to register the MIME type and file extension.

Best wishes

Jeremy.
Post by Tierney Coren
BJ,
Is this what your interpreter does?
Thanks,
Tierney C.
Post by Jeremy Ruston
Hi BJ
Post by Jeremy Ruston
Post by BJ
I think Felix's idea of importing is good, but i would suggest you to
write an upgrader module - these are run when stuff is imported.
Better still would be to add a deserialiser. Deserialisers are invoked
to extract tiddlers from files identified by their extension and/or MIME
https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/blob/master/boot/boot.js#L1211-L1281
https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/blob/master/core/modules/deserializers.js
Best wishes
Jeremy.
Post by BJ
all the best
BJ
--
Jeremy Ruston
mailto:***@gmail.com
BJ
2015-09-10 15:48:25 UTC
Hi Tierney,
when you drop a file onto the tiddlywiki it is handled here:
DropZoneWidget.prototype.handleDropEvent

In this function there is a call to
this.wiki.readFiles

That function looks at the file extension of the file that was drop and
calls the deserialiser for that type of file. So in your deserialiser you
would call the bibtex parser to do the conversion.

Once the deserialiser has run, the resultant tiddlers are imported.

so you only need to write the deserialiser and register the file extension.

In my widget the text of the bibtex would need to be entered into the
widget (I would add a text input to make it easer)

<$button>
<$action-bibtex source="""@article{yesilada201526, title={112226 th ACM
International Conference on Hypertext and Social Media}, author={Yesilada,
Yeliz and Celik, Ilknur and Farzan, Rosta and Houben, Geert-Jan},
journal={ACM SIGWEB Newsletter}, number={Winter}, pages={1}, year={2015},
publisher={ACM} }"""/>
convert me!
</$button>

cheers

BJ
Post by Tierney Coren
Jeremy,
So we've been able to drag and drop a bibfile into TW5, and it imports the
text contents into a tiddler via the import tool. Is there documentation or
a way I can hook into that and parse it to insert the contents into a new
tiddler? We're looking for the simplest possible way to do this.
BJ,
Is this what your interpreter does?
Thanks,
Tierney C.
Post by Jeremy Ruston
Hi BJ
Post by Jeremy Ruston
Post by BJ
I think Felix's idea of importing is good, but i would suggest you to
write an upgrader module - these are run when stuff is imported.
Better still would be to add a deserialiser. Deserialisers are invoked
to extract tiddlers from files identified by their extension and/or MIME
https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/blob/master/boot/boot.js#L1211-L1281
https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/blob/master/core/modules/deserializers.js
Best wishes
Jeremy.
Post by BJ
all the best
BJ
BJ
BJ
2015-09-08 08:58:40 UTC
Hi Tierney,

I have written a bibtex plugin, but have not got round to publishing it
yet. It converts bibtext to json, within the tiddlywiki - then converts to
a tiddler. I was going to put in an option to convert to application/json
tiddler as well.
It would also be possible to leave the original bibtex format as it is
within the body of a tiddler and just use the bibtex title as the tiddler
title of the tiddler - it would depend upon the application - search is
generally better support on tiddler fields.

Importing a bibtex entity into a tiddlywiki would involve creating a
tiddler with the title of the bibtex title and the bibtex entity into the
body of the tiddlywiki. At this point either convert to files of *.tid
format or use the wiki.files (a tiddlywiki configuration file) to instruct
tiddlywiki how to do it automatically, but each file must have it own entry
(no wild cards). I have some shell scripts that automatically create the
wiki.files for a number of source files, which enables large numbers of
files to be automatically inserted into a tiddlywiki.

I'll publish the plugin today.

cheer

BJ
Felix Küppers
2015-09-08 11:34:18 UTC
Hi Tierney,

I use Zotero to export literature as a biblatex/bibtex library with many
items in a .bib file. What would be nice is to have to drop a .bib file
into tiddlywiki and after clicking import, a startup module that runs in
the background reacts and parses the bibtex and saves the output as
tiddlers using the bibtext keys as tiddler titles and the fields as
tiddler fields. They text in the bibtex keyword field could be stored as
tags in tiddlywiki. Bibtext is very easy to parse so you could write
your own parser and put it as a library module into your plugin...

Not sure if you want to achieve this, but that would be my usecase :)
and would make a great addition to use tiddlywiki for literature and zotero.

-Felix