[tw] TW5 - Suggestions for truly long term use?
RickL
2015-08-01 21:30:18 UTC
I love TiddlyWiki and have used it daily for almost a year. I began in
January to make my journal and notebook digital instead of a paper
notebook. I love the flexibility and the linking of topics. The closest
thing I have found that works.

My concern is with true longevity. Though I have several TiddlyWikis, my
main notebook (Common-place book, Zettelkasten, call it what you will -
that's how I use it) is 2.7 GB and I have started noticing a lag in saving
and loading, particularly on my phone (I use AndTidWiki and Dropbox with my
Android phone). At this rate of growth I worry about how useful it will be
in 3 years. I use it with Chrome and Arlen's TiddlyChrome.

There is the option to split the TiddlyWiki into two or more, but that
takes away a lot of the functionality with no way to link between files.

Every release amazes me with the new tools available. I know this product
is just out of beta and under constant development so I hope there can be a
way to address this. Maybe the solution is already out there and I don't
know about it.

Keep up the great work!

Thanks
Rick
'Mark S.' via TiddlyWiki
2015-08-01 22:23:28 UTC
Are you sure that it's 2.7 GB? Not maybe 2.7 Mb? that's an astounding
amount of information. It's hard to imagine that you're experiencing only a
little lag saving/loading. I can't think how you could have acquired that
much data -- unless you're loading it up with images. If so, then the
solution is to make the images external to the actual TW.

There's no relational database behind TW. Indexed or relational databases
are usually necessary for dealing with large amounts of data. That means
that TW will always hit an impasse based primarily on the power of the
hardware that supports it.

Mark
RickL
2015-08-01 22:55:25 UTC
Yes, of course it is 2.7 MB - sorry for that...don't know what I was
thinking.
I have read a bit more on the forums and see there are others with much
larger TW than that which seem to function OK...
Jed Carty
2015-08-01 23:48:53 UTC
Unless we can make some sort of tiddler based database inside an html file you may have to have separate archive wikis you move old things into to keep the size of your main wiki down. Or maybe we could make a plugin that can archive tiddlers by bundling them into a disabled plugin. That way you could enable the plugin to search through old content but it shouldn't affect your normal use.

Does anyone know of a way we could make a database part of tiddlywiki? I don't know what the limits are for javascript and html.
'Mark S.' via TiddlyWiki
2015-08-02 02:19:49 UTC
It's supposed to be possible to use HTML5 to link with sqlite. I imagine it
would take a bit of a re-write to get tw to use an entirely different
approach to storing tiddlers.

With the old TW someone had written a plugin that would allow you to bring
a separate TW online into the current TW with a click. (the tiddlers
brought online were read-only). This meant that you could, for instance,
toggle records for different years. So usually you would just look for the
current year, but you could extend your search and add other years.

I'm not sure that putting things into a disabled plugin would help, since
the plugin still has to be loaded into memory.

Another idea is to create a master index TW that contains all the key terms
in a set of TW's. Then you can click through to what you want in a couple
steps without having to load one monster TW.

Mark
Jeremy Ruston
2015-08-07 16:36:12 UTC
Hi Mark

On Sun, Aug 2, 2015 at 3:19 AM, 'Mark S.' via TiddlyWiki <
Post by 'Mark S.' via TiddlyWiki
It's supposed to be possible to use HTML5 to link with sqlite. I imagine
it would take a bit of a re-write to get tw to use an entirely different
approach to storing tiddlers.
It would be possible to write a sync adaptor that synced changes to HTML5
WebSQL or IndexedDB - there's an example of the latter linked from tw.com:

http://tiddlywiki.com/#IndexedDB%20Plugin%20by%20Andreas%20Abeck

However, personally, I'm not much of a fan of storing content within the
browser. The trouble is that (a) the browser places pretty low storage
limits - often just a handful of megabytes and (b) the data is rather
inaccessible to the end user. You can't easily verify that the data is
intact, nor back it up, nor move it to a different browser or different
computer.
Post by 'Mark S.' via TiddlyWiki
With the old TW someone had written a plugin that would allow you to bring
a separate TW online into the current TW with a click. (the tiddlers
brought online were read-only). This meant that you could, for instance,
toggle records for different years. So usually you would just look for the
current year, but you could extend your search and add other years.
The same thing is possible with TW5 - it's actually how the plugin library
works; the plan is to adapt it to retrieve tiddlers from other tiddlywiki
files.

Best wishes

Jeremy.

Mark
Post by Jed Carty
Unless we can make some sort of tiddler based database inside an html
file you may have to have separate archive wikis you move old things into
to keep the size of your main wiki down. Or maybe we could make a plugin
that can archive tiddlers by bundling them into a disabled plugin. That way
you could enable the plugin to search through old content but it shouldn't
affect your normal use.
Does anyone know of a way we could make a database part of tiddlywiki? I
don't know what the limits are for javascript and html.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/581f5ede-d10c-4a60-9cae-fae0c5097312%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/581f5ede-d10c-4a60-9cae-fae0c5097312%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.
Jeremy Ruston
mailto:***@gmail.com
G.J.Robert
2015-08-19 15:51:32 UTC
Thank God it's 2.7MB, not 2.7GB. I just thought my 22MB TiddlySpace space
was so easily out-sized.
Big TWC files do function okay, but save and load slowly. Hopefully someday
TW5 can save them.

RickLæ–Œ 2015幎8月2日星期日 UTC+8䞊午6時55分25秒寫道
Mal
2015-08-20 07:35:31 UTC
I thought I would add a couple of points to this discussion:

1. I understand that Dropbox breaks files up into blocks of about 4MB and
only synchronises blocks that have changed. This should mean that the sync
time will not get much worse after the 4MB file size is reached.

2. I set up a note-taking tiddlywiki for a medical student and it grew to
about 35MB. This was synchronised with Dropbox across a laptop, an iPad
and a phone and, surprisingly, worked quite well on all devices, although
most editing was carried out on the laptop. This gives me some comfort
that my own TW journal will be usable for some time to come.

Regards,

Mal
David Myers
2016-04-16 08:12:59 UTC
Just want to say a few words about nremote saving.

I use a number of TW files locally, and have them all running into an
external repo for sharig between devices, and on the move editing.

I have noticed that pushing the modifications to GitLab (my personal
private space) is much quicker that pushing pushing to ourteams JIRA /
BitBucket space. The differnce is noticable, almost time for a coffee
notible.

Don't know why though, but it shows that somje services are certainly not
doing the same thing underneath.

David
iain
2015-08-02 20:57:02 UTC
Rick,

My largest TW is 14.5 kb and was started in 2008 based on a theme by Morris
Gray's who modified No Brainer notes.

I think the greatest problem is not size but technical obsolescence my
version is TW classic and I haven't been successfully been able to update
past 2.7.1 because all the next version wrecked all the formatting and
macros and I had no idea how to fix them and they didn't seem to be there
in the post classic version TW 5.

Iain
Danielo Rodríguez
2015-08-20 07:57:29 UTC
I know that I mentioned it several times, but, anyway: I am working on a
plugin for TW that uses pouchdb as a store for tiddlers. This means an
in-browser database with the possibility to synchronize to an external
couch database. The plugin will also provide a way to save the DB as
regular tiddlers and also as a bunch of tiddlers in form of BIG JSON
tiddler.

Sadly, I don't have much time this month to work on this (I have some Linux
exams). Expect a first release after 31st of august.

Regards
Atul Grover
2015-08-20 12:06:59 UTC
Dear All,

Time and again TW5 + xAPI for mobile learning comes up as a long term use
of TW5.

Here is how EPUB3 and xAPI have come together for Mobile Learning

A pinterest type story-river is another idea that recurs for elearning on
TW5.

Regards
Danielo Rodríguez
2015-08-20 15:17:08 UTC
http://youtu.be/IZ7KEz3-N5s
A pinterest type story-river is another idea that recurs for elearning on
TW5.
https://archive.org/details/image
Regards
Atul
I really want to understand what the XApi is or can do, but I fail every
time I try. Could you simplify it to absurd?
Arlen Beiler
2015-08-20 17:21:05 UTC
Nobody mentioned it yet, I don't think, but for TiddlyWiki5 there is a
NodeJS edition that syncs changes to the file system live. It has a little
webserver which serves the save all template to the browser, and then the
browser syncs its changes with the server. It's not quite realtime, but
it's very close, and it could be with Socket.IO, I think.

Also, you can run that in Node Webkit with some very slight modification
and it will actually save changes directly to the file system. I think
mainly all I had to do was make a custom tiddlywiki.js file.

Not sure on the performance improvements over the browser, except for
saving time, of course, because each tiddler is in its own file and only
what needs to be saved gets written.
-Arlen
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/b975c277-fd54-4163-99e5-100ba0e92639%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/b975c277-fd54-4163-99e5-100ba0e92639%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.
RichardWilliamSmith
2015-08-20 22:06:40 UTC
Post by Danielo Rodríguez
I really want to understand what the XApi is or can do, but I fail every
time I try. Could you simplify it to absurd?
xAPI is a really simple api for recording student progress on an arbitrary
curriculum - all we basically do is send messages that say "S/he did this"
- ie; "Danielo passed his Linux exams".

The message is split into 3 parts - an identifier for the individual:
usually just an email address, a verb from the approved vocabulary
("passed") and a specifier for the task ("Linux exams").

The identifier is supposed to be universal, the verbs and specifiers come
from approved lists where they already exist but can also be created to
meet your needs.

Because it's so simple in principle, there are lots of decisions to make in
implementing the standard - which events will trigger a message, which
verbs will we use, which set of specifiers will we use.

For example, if I have built an interactive ebook for a cohort of 100
students and each copy will report back to my 'teacher server', what will
they send and when? "John read for 20 minutes" or "John read 5 pages" or
"John read page 11"/"John read page 12" etc. Do we want to record the fact
that John *tried* to answer some questions but got them wrong? If John has
a question about his work, do we send that to the xAPI server, or somewhere
else?

So, you see, the implementation is quite simple - a client/server
connection for exchanging and validating simple, 3-part statements - but to
make a useful implementation requires us to agree on the allowed verbs and
how the tasks will be broken up and reported: so quite a lot of design is
necessary to make a useful system.
Regards,
Richard
Atul Grover
2015-08-21 11:51:44 UTC
Hi Danielo,

Check out this video...

https://vimeo.com/102949934

the demos are available at

http://z2.vc/r/

The LRS is not working but yo'll get the idea.

Regards
RickL
2015-09-13 21:30:41 UTC
In the past few weeks, my TW5 file has grown from 2.4MB to just over 3MB.

This has resulted in a noticeable slow down of the file. Making changes to
any tiddler now takes between 3 and 4 seconds - every time! Also, saving
the file a full 7 seconds. That seems like an eternity in computer time.
I am currenty using the TiddlyChrome plugin

I am running Windows 8.1 on an Intel i5 ultrabook with a TWC broadband
connection.

Is this the performance I should expect?

Thanks
Evolena
2015-09-13 21:52:07 UTC
See Performance <http://tiddlywiki.com/#Performance>

If your current sidebar tab contains a long list (e.g. the Recent tab), it
slows down TW. As if you've opened tiddlers with a lot of lists.
As an example, my 4,5 Mb TW saves in ~4s if I'm on the Recent tab, and less
than 2s if I'm on "Open" with only a couple of opened tiddlers.
RickL
Mat
2015-09-14 04:42:07 UTC
Post by RickL
from 2.4MB to just over 3MB.
This has resulted in a noticeable slow down
The relatively small size change here can hardly be the reason for this
slow down.

Could it be that you've added tiddlers containing code that are permanently
taking system power? For instance some code that is in the viewtemplates or
pagetemplate and that has a lot of list filters, particularly multi-layered
list-filters?

<:-)
'Mark S.' via TiddlyWiki
2015-09-14 05:05:09 UTC
TW5 doesn't use any special indexing like real databases. So the
performance is going to be tied to your hardware. You don't mention how
many Ghz your ultrabook runs at. My desktop I3 3.6Ghz desktop machine can
save a tiddler and then save a 3.5mb TW in under one second.

I guess the main thing to take from this is to try to arrange things so
that you are capturing and saving information on the fastest machine
available.

In my case, the saved TW is then transferred to a tablet, which is used to
read the information previously captured on the desktop.

Mark