[tw] Re: [TW5] Is there a way to import multiple tiddlers from a single file?
Neil Griffin
2014-10-18 14:15:08 UTC
Just resurrecting this old thread...

I am trying to do something very similar to Arkady: in my case convert a
list of items from an excel file to one tiddler for each row in the list
(ultimately with the aim of making a searchable database). I can write a
python script to make a suitably formatted file to import into TW, but
while JSON works fine with standard fields, it doesn't work with my
non-standard fields. The only other format described in
http://tiddlywiki.com/#TiddlerFiles that appears to support multiple
tiddlers in a single file is a 'TiddlyWiki HTML file'. Does this mean an
entire TW file, or is there some reduced format with not much more than a
collection of <div>'s that TW will recognise it as a collection of tiddlers
to import?

Thanks,

Neil.
Hi Arkady
The "browse" button in TiddlyWiki5 should let you select multiple files -
what browser are you using?
The easiest way to import a bunch of tiddlers at once is to use a .json
[
{"title":"Tiddler1","text":"Text of tiddler},
{"title":"Tiddler2","text":"Text of tiddler}
]
You can import a JSON file with drag and drop in the browser, or via the
--load command under node.js.
Can Perl conveniently create JSON files?
Best wishes
Jeremy.
Found a workaround. Copied all tiddlers in "editions/mytw5/tiddlers"
directory, copied tiddlywiki.info from editions/tw5.com and ran bld.sh
after adding to it a section to create "mytw5.html" file. Whew... Learned
something in the process. But still, would like to see an easier way.
2014-10-18 16:43:07 UTC
Hi Neil

Post by Neil Griffin
list of items from an excel file to one tiddler for each row in the list
(ultimately with the aim of making a searchable database). I can write a
python script to make a suitably formatted file to import into TW, but
while JSON works fine with standard fields, it doesn't work with my
non-standard fields. The only other format described in
http://tiddlywiki.com/#TiddlerFiles that appears to support multiple
tiddlers in a single file is a 'TiddlyWiki HTML file'. Does this mean an
entire TW file, or is there some reduced format with not much more than a
collection of <div>'s that TW will recognise it as a collection of tiddlers
to import?
The minimal requirement for an HTML file to be recognised as an unencrypted
TW file is that it has a <div id="storeArea"> immediately preceding the
tiddler DIVs, which must be followed by a </div>. For example:

tags="Examples" title="A tiddler title">
<pre>HTML encoded text of tiddler
</pre>
[[Three with Space]]" title="Another title" customfield="field value">
<pre>Text of this tiddler
</pre>

I've updated the docs to include this information:

https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/commit/9a36dc61ec3ed48e069e55b5dced53846a841521

Best wishes

Jeremy.
mailto:***@gmail.com
Neil Griffin
2014-10-18 18:47:34 UTC
Thanks. That did the trick (once I added type="text/vnd.tiddlywiki" to
prevent the tiddlers being mistaken for TW classic format).

N.
Hi Neil
Post by Neil Griffin
[...]
Two [[Three with Space]]" title="Another title" customfield="field value">
<pre>Text of this tiddler
</pre>
stevesuny
2015-04-24 13:41:54 UTC
Resurrecting an old thread, yet again...I have the same challenge (a
spreadsheet file where each line becomes a tiddler, with separate column
for title, text, tags, etc.. I need to help students import a large number
of tiddlers (5 to 200 or more) that they create through spreadsheet
manipulation. In TWClassic on tiddlyspace, we use the Tiddlytools plugin
http://tiddlytools.com/#CreateTiddlersFromCSV
<(http://tiddlytools.com/#CreateTiddlersFromCSV>.

As I contemplate moving classes from TWClassic to TW5, I need to replicate
that functionality, for non-technical users. The responses above reference
scripts etc. that are beyond my expertise, and certainly that of my
students.

How do to this in TW5. Maybe I just don't know how to run the load-file
command?

Thanks!

//steve.
I have a text file where each line is a list item. I would like to import
this file in my TW5 and create a separate tiddler for each line. I also
would like to specify tags and some fields for each tiddler.
.tid files do not allow multiple tiddlers in one file.
I thought, HTML would work with something like this
priority="5">Tiddler 1 text</div>
priority="6">Tiddler 2 text</div>
etc.
But it did not work. I get one tiddler with type="text/html" with file
name as a title and this HTML code inside.
I could, of course, create a Perl or an awk script to produce one .tid
file per line, but it seems like too much effort.
Any suggestions?
Måns
2015-04-24 13:53:43 UTC
+1

My workflow has been to import csv file to TWc via Eric's
CreateTiddlersFromCsv and then drop the TWc on a TW5 to import all tiddlers
at once.
The tedious part is then to click/accept to convert every imported tiddler
from TW classic format to a TW5 format.
It is tedious when you have 300+ tiddlers to convert. I guess it should be
ok with a few tiddlers...

There is an online csv to JSON converter here:
http://www.convertcsv.com/csv-to-json.htm I haven't tried it out yet...

If you drag a correctly formated JSON file on to a TW5 it should generate
tiddlers.... - again I haven't tried it out.

Good luck - and please tell how it goes.

Cheers MÃ¥ns MÃ¥rtensson
stevesuny
2015-04-24 14:01:21 UTC
Of course, writing out the problems leads to its solution (at least
partially).

I've discovered that, as promised above, a properly formatted json file, as:

[
{"title":"Tiddler1","text":"This is the text of tiddler 1","tags":"Tag1
Tag2 [[Tag 3]]"},
{"title":"Tiddler2","text":"This is the text of tiddler 2, with a link
to [[Tiddler1]]","tags":"Tag1 Tag4"}
]

saved as, for example, tiddlers.json

can then be imported using the "native" import in TW5, and then click on
import, and all tiddlers get created.

I'm now working on generating json files from spreadsheet. Here is a link
for a script for google sheets:

http://blog.pamelafox.org/2013/06/exporting-google-spreadsheet-as-json.html

It looks reasonable, and I'll work on it today.

As always, once discovered, it seems straightforward. Thanks, Jeremy, for
the file structure that you put in a few years ago which got me headed in
the right direction.

//steve.
2015-04-24 15:15:11 UTC
Hi Steve

You'll probably have seen the current built-in support for CSV files in
TW5: dragging or importing a file results in a single tiddler containing
the entire CSV file. There's a special parser for text/csv tiddlers so that
the content gets displayed as a nicely formatted HTML table.

The approach I favour for making the CSV importing more flexible is
actually to add facilities for accessing and manipulating the content of
CSV tiddlers, rather than extending the import process itself. I like the
idea of maintaining CSV as a native format, not just an import format - we
could integrate a JavaScript spreadsheet engine like SocialCalc (see
http://tiddlywiki.com/rboue's%20plugins%20for%20TiddlyWiki)/

Adding basic support for referencing rows and cells in CSV tiddlers would
be fairly straightforward - it would largely mirror the existing
implementation for access to property indexes within data tiddlers (aka
JSON tiddlers). I'd be happy to guide anyone interested in working on a
pull request.

Best wishes

Jeremy.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/54ca5c29-ef5f-40b7-91f2-e749e6bf9078%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/54ca5c29-ef5f-40b7-91f2-e749e6bf9078%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
mailto:***@gmail.com
stevesuny
2015-07-09 15:18:49 UTC
Reviving an old thread. Am again interested in importing CSV as separate
tiddlers.

I use google sheets to generate CSV.

I'd like to use http://www.convertcsv.com/csv-to-json.htm to create json,
but none of the output formats work - when I use the import, the json file
doesn't return any tiddlers available for import.

Anyone have suggestions or experience with this? Or, alternatives?

Thanks,

//steve.
2015-07-09 15:32:21 UTC
Hi Steve

Funnily enough, I've been working with some CSV files in my dayjob. I've
got a very noddy little Node.js script that converts CSV files into JSON
files. It's not very polished - eg one has to edit the JS source to tell it
which columns to use.

But, if you're comfortable with Node.js it might make a good starting
point. If you're interested I can post it to GitHub.

Best wishes

Jeremy.
stevesuny
2015-07-09 16:56:35 UTC
Thanks, Jermey. I'm not quite to node.js yet. I installed but don't really
get it. I don't do much at command line.

As for CSV, the tool I'm trying to use
(http://www.convertcsv.com/csv-to-json.htm) offers these options:

Use this tool to convert CSV data to JSON. There are 4 types of JSON
conversions:

- CSV to JSON - array of JSON structures matching your CSV
- CSV to Keyed JSON - Structure of JSON with the specified key field as
the key value to a structure of the remaining fields
- CSV to JSON Array - An array of CSV values where the CSV values are in
an array, or [image: New] a structure with column names and data as an
array
- CSV to JSON Column Array - An array of CSV values where each column of
values are in an array

Which of these would be best to use to import JSON file?

Thanks!

//steve.
Andrew Sanchez

2015-07-18 08:50:33 UTC
Marc J. Cawood
2016-10-13 13:14:40 UTC
There's a special parser for text/csv tiddlers so that the content gets
displayed as a nicely formatted HTML table.
When I import a csv I just get a text/plain tiddler.
Is the parser part of the core?

test.csv:
"Name","Length"
"dir.op.json","118480"
"file.list.cmdlet","294"
2016-10-13 13:16:29 UTC
Hi Marc
Post by Marc J. Cawood
When I import a csv I just get a text/plain tiddler.
Is the parser part of the core?
Try setting the type of the tiddler to "text/csv”. Does you CSV file have a ‘.csv’ extension?

Best wishes

Jeremy
Post by Marc J. Cawood
"Name","Length"