[tw5] Some Bob Editions cause the WS-Server to disconnect.
a***@yandex.com
2018-10-17 22:58:49 UTC
Hello,

I am *very* new to TW5 and have just found the single executable Bob server
[which is *so* much better to use than the usual node server]. Since I've
seen Bob referenced here, I really didn't know if this was the appropriate
place to ask my questions, or if I should do so at the Bob github repo. If
this is not the right place, please advise, and I will move this to the
github repo!

My problem is as follows ...

I am able to create some of the Editions under the Bob Settings in the
Control Panel [see list below], but other Editions disconnect the Bob
server. Specifically, the TW5.com, TW5.com Docs and Introduction. I have
repeatedly tried these Editions, both via the Control Panel, as well as
manually editing via both the Control Panel as well as the settings.json
file. All attempts to create these child wikis result in disconnecting the
root wiki.

Since I have been successful in creating several other child wikis, I am
guessing I must be doing *something* right, but at this point, I'm *really*
confused. Also, in case it makes a difference, I was only trying to access
the root wiki, and only 1 child wiki at at time. I also tested to see if I
could still access the successful child wikis once I restarted Bob. I
would open each one successfully, but every time I tried to open one of the
above referenced child wikis, the server disconnect occurs.

I've been successful creating wikis using the following Editions thus far

- Bob
- Dev
- Empty
- Full
- Highlight Demo
- Markdown Demo
- PreRelease
- Test

I haven't really tried some of the others yet.

Thank you very much for creating both TW5 as well as the Bob server! These
are both such awesome applications, and I have *so* many ideas on how I
might be able to use them to make life a whole lot easier.
2018-10-18 01:09:40 UTC
Jed is likely to have the best answer. But what about creating an empty
wiki (by any other name) and importing all the tiddlers from a saving of
the tw.com or other wiki?

Post by a***@yandex.com
[...]
EDIT: In case it matters - I'm using the linux version of Bob - Manjaro
Stable with XFCE desktop environment.
2018-10-18 07:31:16 UTC
@TonyM,

Thanks for the suggestion! I tried this ...

I created a new empty child wiki - worked fine.
Created a child Introduction Edition wiki - as expected, it shut down the
Bob server
C&P the tiddler and theme folders from Introduction Edition into the empty
child wiki - again the Bob server was shut down.

Very strange.
2018-10-18 11:34:54 UTC
My suggestion was to download the edition you want, create an empty bob wiki and use the in wiki import to import all the tiddlers in the edition you want. Save and reload and see if that breaks bob server.

This may or may not get arround the problem jed is aware of.

2018-10-18 12:48:16 UTC
@TonyM

OH - I like that suggestion too!!!! Sorry I misunderstood! Thank you
again for your input! Very much appreciated ... it helps give me options
that I wouldn't normally come up with on my own!

@Jed Carty

NOT a problem! I am just relieved to discover it isn't something I'm doing
causing the issues. I'll play around with @TonyM's ideas ... I have read
ALL of the TW documentation and have spent days looking at all the various
examples ... most of which were totally way over my comprehension level at
first, but the more I use TW and become familiar with it, I am hoping my
comprehension level will rise proportionately. I have been saving lots of
people's online wikis as demos, too.

Right now, the one I found last is the one I am most interested in
experimenting with now that I have my base Wiki set up under Bob, i.e. the
W3.CSSFramework edition. I just wanted to experiment with the other
Editions first. Each one starts giving me a whole new list of options and
ways of using TW5 that I hadn't thought of already.

Thank you again for even creating these applications! Very much
appreciated!
2018-10-18 09:35:39 UTC
I am glad that you like Bob and this isn't caused by you doing anything
wrong, it is a known bug. I am just bad at keeping the issues on GitHub up
to date.

Some editions have other wikis included in them and this breaks things for
Bob. Although I thought I had fixed the part where it would cause problems
other than a terminal message at the output.

So far I know that the various tw.com versions break but I don't know which
others. The list of available editions is generated automatically from what
is available on the computer so they are included in the list. Eventually I
will get around to filtering the list to something more useful but I
haven't yet.