[tw] [TW5] New icon for "save changes"
2014-11-12 17:23:57 UTC
The addition of the new "export" button has made it clear that the
resemblance with the "save changes" icon causes confusion.

Following a suggestion from Mat, I'm exploring different options for the
"save changes" icon.

[image: Inline image 2]

The rationale for using the tick for "save changes" is that saving makes
your changes safe (the tick will be red if there are unsaved changes).

The export icon now looks like this:

[image: Inline image 3]

I've also updated several of the icons to a more consistent style, with
consistent line widths.

What do you think? Does the new icon work for you?

There's a preview at http://tiddlywiki.com/prerelease/

Best wishes

Jeremy.
mailto:***@gmail.com
Ton Gerner
2014-11-12 17:48:45 UTC
Hi Jeremy,

*If* you want to change the save icon why reinventing the wheel?
AFAIK The 'floppy' icon is the accepted standard for save (at least in
windows).

Cheers,

Ton
2014-11-12 18:01:31 UTC
Hi Ton

Post by Ton Gerner
AFAIK The 'floppy' icon is the accepted standard for save (at least in
windows).
The floppy disk icon is the top hit when you do a Google image search for
"save icon".

But I think it is pretty Windows-centric, and it's not something you see
much on the web. I'm not a huge fan because it's an archaic visual metaphor
that is pretty meaningless for most users. Many people would struggle to
describe it in words - "Click the icon that looks like a big blocky A with
a dot under it". Where as "Click the icon of a tick in a circle" is pretty
unambiguous.

Best wishes

Jeremy
Post by Ton Gerner
Cheers,
Ton
Danielo Rodríguez
2014-11-12 18:06:58 UTC
I was going to say exactly that. Floppy is the standard in 99% of programs. I have to admit that it looks very old fashioned. Maybe we should look into other web-notebooks as one note, Evernote or even Google Drive.
Alberto Molina
2014-11-12 18:30:33 UTC
Hi,

Seems weird prima face, but I think the "tick in a circle" for saving changes is consistent with the tick for tiddlers changes in edit mode and the tick for done tasks.
Just my two cents.

Alberto
2014-11-12 21:36:58 UTC
Post by Ton Gerner
*If* you want to change the save icon why reinventing the wheel?
AFAIK The 'floppy' icon is the accepted standard for save (at least in
windows).
-1
Birthe C
2014-11-12 18:41:57 UTC
Hi Jeremy
I like the tick in a circle. Tick for saving tiddler after editing and tick
in circle for saving/download TiddlyWiki. Logic I think. Also I like pure
and simple icons.

Birthe
Sylvain Naudin
2014-11-12 19:56:20 UTC
Hi,

I'm not fan of new ControlPanel icons :/ The previous version looks more
like mechanism. The new one look like sun (if we see the icon bigger, it's
better, but prefer the older).

For save, indeed we could use floppy, but yes it's from the last century,
and TW5 is for the next 25 years ;)

It's me or some circle icons are not really circle ? Like search or new
save ? It seems a little crop.

Sylvain

http://tiddlywiki.com/prerelease/#ImageGallery%20Example

Danielo Rodríguez
2014-11-12 21:14:09 UTC
I have to say that don't like the new configuration button neither ,I prefer the old gear icon. The new looks like a sun
Alberto Molina
2014-11-12 22:24:05 UTC
Post by Danielo Rodríguez
I have to say that don't like the new configuration button neither ,I
prefer the old gear icon. The new looks like a sun
+1

2014-11-12 22:46:40 UTC
Hi Sylvain

Post by Sylvain Naudin
like mechanism. The new one look like sun (if we see the icon bigger, it's
better, but prefer the older).
Agreed, I've reworked it a little to this:

[image: Inline image 2]

Here's the previous one for comparison

[image: Inline image 3]

I've uploaded a new prerelease to http://tiddlywiki.com/prerelease
Post by Sylvain Naudin
It's me or some circle icons are not really circle ? Like search or new
save ? It seems a little crop.

They do look bad - what browser and OS are you using?

Best wishes

Jeremy
<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-axCTqtOzmNM/VGO62z6s75I/AAAAAAAAaAQ/DpLJMMoVWv4/s1600/Capture%2Bd%E2%80%99e%CC%81cran%2B2014-11-12%2Ba%CC%80%2B20.53.35.png>
mailto:***@gmail.com
Sylvain Naudin
2014-11-12 22:56:55 UTC
Hi Sylvain
Post by Sylvain Naudin
like mechanism. The new one look like sun (if we see the icon bigger, it's
better, but prefer the older).
[image: Inline image 2]
Well it's better :) I like it.
Thanks.
Post by Jeremy Ruston
They do look bad - what browser and OS are you using?
Firefox 33.1 on OSx 10.6.8. I think I've seen similar issues on my Fedora
and Firefox.

With Google Chrome it's OK.
Alberto Molina
2014-11-12 23:00:28 UTC
Post by Sylvain Naudin
Post by Jeremy Ruston
[image: Inline image 2]
Well it's better :) I like it.
Thanks.
+1
Danielo Rodríguez
2014-11-13 07:24:02 UTC
Post by Jeremy Ruston
[image: Inline image 2]
Here's the previous one for comparison
[image: Inline image 3]
What's wrong with the old one?
I've uploaded a new prerelease to http://tiddlywiki.com/prerelease
On my ipad, ios 7 crhome browser the color picker does not work.
Post by Sylvain Naudin
It's me or some circle icons are not really circle ? Like search or new
save ? It seems a little crop.
They do look bad - what browser and OS are you using?
Same for me, ipad ios7 chrome
2014-11-13 08:20:43 UTC
Tobias Beer
2014-11-13 09:01:08 UTC
Post by Jeremy Ruston
[image: Inline image 2]
<javascript:>
...like 'em both, control-gears and save-tick *√*
Tobias Beer
2014-11-15 16:11:21 UTC
preferred the round one :-)

Best wishes, Tobias.
Danielo Rodríguez
2014-11-15 17:07:22 UTC
I prefer the new one

Maybe we should do two separate editions? :-P
Post by Tobias Beer
preferred the round one :-)
<https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-e7fZezZfggc/VGd7BpEoWUI/AAAAAAAABpE/sb-QbHxzt8c/s1600/square.jpg>
Best wishes, Tobias.
Tobias Beer
2014-11-16 13:59:41 UTC
Wait a few more minutes and mysterious Tsoukalos memes begin sprouting. ^^
2014-11-12 21:40:40 UTC
'Stephen Kimmel' via TiddlyWiki
2014-11-13 22:16:15 UTC
The new Zoomin icon looks enough like the Save.Png icon that I can see it
being confusing.

I think the new home button is creepy looking. I'm changing that one back
as soon as I can. And if anyone cares, the target symbol ... Close Others?
... doesn't say anything to me.

Stephen
2014-11-13 22:40:46 UTC
Hi Stephen
Post by 'Stephen Kimmel' via TiddlyWiki
The new Zoomin icon looks enough like the Save.Png icon that I can see it
being confusing.

I hadn't seen that.
Post by 'Stephen Kimmel' via TiddlyWiki
I think the new home button is creepy looking
Yes, I don't think it was quite working:

[image: Inline image 1]

I've tweaked it and simplified it:

[image: Inline image 2]

You can play with it at:

http://tiddlywiki.com/prerelease
Post by 'Stephen Kimmel' via TiddlyWiki
And if anyone cares, the target symbol ... Close Others? ... doesn't say
anything to me.

The "close others" button has been around for a while. With such a
conceptually complex operation I don't think the icon should necessarily
try to literally depict the operation; the icon itself just has to be
learnable (via tooltips) and easily recognisable. The double circle is
intended to evoke an old-fashioned target with the idea of focusing in on a
tiddler.

Best wishes

Jeremy

On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 10:16 PM, 'Stephen Kimmel' via TiddlyWiki <
Tobias Beer
2014-11-14 01:00:44 UTC
I like the simplified home button.

As for the close-all button, perhaps combine the crosshair and the X to
something like...

So, you still see something X'ed out but a little more than just that.

Best wishes, Tobias.
Danielo Rodríguez
2014-11-14 06:25:09 UTC
I love tiddlywiki ad I love it's icons, so stop changing things !! In my opinion the close all widget is clear enough. There are many x thar represents closing many things
2014-11-14 10:59:51 UTC
There's a problem with the (i)nfo icon in the prerelease.
-m
2014-11-15 08:52:37 UTC
Hi Mario

There's a problem with the (i)nfo icon in the prerelease.
Firefox? Can you provide a screenshot?

Many thanks

Jeremy
-m