[tw] Context Search plugin in sidebar
Bob Flandard
2015-09-20 21:25:38 UTC
Hello,

I've been fiddling with TW5 variations and have managed to get one
particular TW with the context search plugin
http://braintest.tiddlyspot.com/#Context%20Plugin that gives results in the
sidebar rather than the main story river. The sidebar has two tabs "List"
and "Context", the "List" tab just gives a list of tiddlers and the
"Context" tab gives the context with search term highlighted in yellow.

Trouble is I don't know how this configuration came about (it's not the
default) and I'd like to know how to reproduce it in what will become my
main working TW.

Any clues as to how to achieve this set-up?

Thanks, Bob
Danielo Rodríguez
2015-09-20 22:58:29 UTC
Hello Bob, glad you are giving my plugin good use.

What do you expect exactly to be the default behavior? To display the highlighted results when searching instead of the list?
Bob Flandard
2015-09-21 09:12:42 UTC
Hello Danielo,

Thanks for the very useful plugin.

If I add your plugin to an empty TW5, the default behavior is that when
clicking on the "advanced search" icon in the sidebar, a tiddler called $:/AdvancedSearch
appears in the main story river, which has a tab called "Context search"
containing the results from your plugin.

With the non-standard TW (source unknown), I just type a search term
directly into the search box in the sidebar and after typing a single
character, the usual tabs (Open Contents Recent Tools More) disappear and
are replaced by two tabs "List" and "Context". The "List" tab has the
results that would be given by a TW without your plugin installed and the
"Context" tab (after typing a total of four or more characters) has the
highlighted context results. I like this behavior and would like to
reproduce it in other TWs.

I don't know how this non-standard behavior was achieved. I've tried using
in a tiddler that configures the sidebar, but it's only in the
plugins\danielo515\... tiddlers (which are common to both TWs). I'm not yet
sufficiently fluent in TW5 to be able to interrogate the "non-standard" and
"standard" TWs and find their differences relating to the sidebar setup.

I don't think tb's link below is quite what I was looking for (thanks tb)
or more likely I haven't understood it (for me, TW is a hard nut to crack).

Thanks, Bob
Danielo Rodríguez
2015-09-21 10:44:23 UTC
Hello Bob,

Now I understand what you mean. The behavior you describe is not part of my plugin, is another plugin that allows any search engine to appear under a search tab on the sidebar. There is a pull request to include this in the core, but seems that Jeremy does not likes it.

I don't remember the name of the plugin, but you can open the plugins tab of the configuration tiddler on the wiki that has the behavior you want to export.

Regards.
Danielo Rodríguez
2015-09-21 11:07:53 UTC
Hello,

This is the github issue I was talking about :
https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/issues/1066
Bob Flandard
2015-09-21 11:30:44 UTC
Hello Danielo,

Thank you for the link. Maybe Ton Gerner's Breadcumbs plugin (or his blue
theme) was the original source of the sidebar search box functionality. I
disabled all plugins except "Context Search" and "Core" and all themes
except basic, but the sidebar search functionality persists. I'll
experiment some more, but probably just ignore it and move on.

Thanks for your help (and your plugin!), Bob
Danielo Rodríguez
2015-09-21 11:46:19 UTC
Hello Bob,

The plugin is called EnhancedSearchResults, the link should be available on the github ticket I have linked.

Bob Flandard
2015-09-21 16:58:25 UTC
Hello Danielo,

Thanks for the link http://felixhayashi.github.io/TW5-EnhancedSearchResults/
That would be do nicely but the plugin doesn't work on my TW-5.1.9. I'll
wait for an update.

All the best, Bob
Birthe C
2015-09-21 17:40:23 UTC
Hi Bob

Try http://spangenhelm.github.io/TW5-EnhancedSearchResults/, and remember
you need Danielo's Context Search plugin also. Initially I had the same
problem you described, not able to see the list and context tabs in the
sidebar. I found out that I must have been using an older version of
Danielo's plugin without the visualiser.

I cannot believe I nearly missed out on this wonderful plugin combination.
That is the way to search.

Birthe
Danielo Rodríguez
2015-09-21 18:05:13 UTC
I cannot believe I nearly missed out on this wonderful plugin combination. That is the way to search.
That is the main handicap of TW5,it's hard to get news about what cool plugins are out there. Thank you for pointing to the latest version of the search plugin. Felix created the first version, but spanglem has continued the work.

My latest plugin should be available on it's own demo wiki, if I can find it!
Birthe C
2015-09-21 18:15:08 UTC
Hi Danielo,

http://contextplugin.tiddlyspot.com/, isn't it?
<http://contextplugin.tiddlyspot.com/>

Birthe

Bob Flandard
2015-09-21 18:49:07 UTC
Hello Birthe,

Thanks for the links. That's solved the mystery! I had initially found the
http://contextplugin.tiddlyspot.com/
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fcontextplugin.tiddlyspot.com%2F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNGxzEmfuHC6efTT_arAzZ0HCJBmUg>
link, and subsequently was using the http://braintest.tiddlyspot.com/ .

The http://spangenhelm.github.io/TW5-EnhancedSearchResults/
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fspangenhelm.github.io%2FTW5-EnhancedSearchResults%2F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNE6H5NfZtF2rWwmXVEnfITDXGeVog>
is a bonus and as you say, with those two plugins "that is the way to
search".

Now where can I keep a record of these small packets of information with a
suitable retrieval mechanism? Of course, MS Word :)

All the best, Bob
Danielo Rodríguez
2015-09-21 11:46:36 UTC

Danielo Rodríguez
2015-09-21 11:46:56 UTC

Tobias Beer
2015-09-21 13:10:31 UTC
Hi again Bob,
Post by Bob Flandard
I don't think tb's link below is quite what I was looking for (thanks tb)
or more likely I haven't understood it (for me, TW is a hard nut to crack).

I think it <http://tobibeer.github.io/tb5/#Custom%20Search%20Tab%20Exact>
is. Where did you get stuck?

Best wishes,

— tb
Bob Flandard
2015-09-21 17:04:38 UTC
Hello tb,

Thanks for the link. I had a look, but the sidebar tabs "List" "Exact" and
"Keywords" didn't have highlighted context search results, so I assumed
that the instructions were generic and required me to modify your code to
include the Context Search plugin from Danielo (probably a step too far at
the moment as I'm wrestling with the TW syntax and it's winning).

All the best, Bob
Tobias Beer
2015-09-21 19:21:33 UTC
Hi Bob,
I had a look, but the sidebar tabs "List" "Exact" and "Keywords" didn't
have highlighted context search results, so I assumed that the instructions
were generic and required me to modify your code to include the Context
Search plugin from Danielo (probably a step too far at the moment as I'm
wrestling with the TW syntax and it's winning).
I understand, that was indeed the missing link.
I'll see if I can't add that to that tiddler
or create a variant of it for ContextPlugin.

Best wishes,

— tb
Danielo Rodríguez
2015-09-21 22:07:38 UTC
Hello Birthe,
Thank you for helping me finding my own links :P

I have updated braintest.tiddlyspot.com to point to the newest location.

Many regards.
Tobias Beer
2015-09-21 05:47:14 UTC
Hi Bob,

Similar to this one:

Custom Search Tab "Exact" @ tb5
<http://tobibeer.github.io/tb5/#Custom%20Search%20Tab%20Exact>

...you could create one that is called "context".

Best wishes,

— tb