[tw] [TW5] Core drag-and-drop improvements
2017-03-19 19:51:10 UTC
I’m very happy to announce much better core support for drag-and-drop in 5.1.14, with quite a few new features for end users:

* drag and drop the entries in the “open” sidebar list to rearrange the ordering of the open tiddlers
* drag tiddler titles into the “open” sidebar list to open those tiddlers at a chosen position in the story river
* drag and drop the entries in a tag dropdown to rearrange the ordering of the tagged items
* drag tiddler titles into the open tag dropdown to add that tag to those tiddlers
* drag a tag pill to drag all of the tiddlers that carry that tag. This feature can be used to drag multiple tiddlers between wikis in separate windows, or to drag multiple items in the scenarios above

I’ve posted a prerelease so that you can try the new functionality; I’d welcome any feedback:

http://tiddlywiki.com/prerelease

I’ve yet to add any documentation for the components that make up these new features:

* <$draggable> widget
* <$droppable> widget
* insertbefore filter operator

You can see the detailed changes in the commit log:

https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/commit/eba1c3c160c63ac3dfc15f55df086971a832d657

Drag-and-drop has been on the todo list for a long time. BJ released an enhancement of the list widget that supported drag and drop a year or two ago, and it had been my itntention to engineer it into the core. As it has turned out, the eventual implementation is more granular, adding a handful of new primitives that can be combined together and with existing components to produce various effects.

Best wishes

Jeremy.
2017-03-19 20:48:45 UTC
Yes! Yes! Yes!!! Thank you Jeremy and BJ!!!

...and...
Post by Jeremy Ruston
drag a tag pill to drag all of the tiddlers that carry that tag. This
feature can be used to drag multiple tiddlers between wikis in separate
windows, or to drag multiple items in the scenarios above

KA-BOOOOM! Suddenly *anyone* can make "unpackaged plugins" ! This is HUGE!

A quick first testing in Chrome and FF, including some attempts to break
it, looks great.

<:-D
Jan
2017-03-19 20:53:52 UTC
Hi Jeremy,
this is great (though it makes obsolete my rearranger-workarround in
slidesnstories.tiddlyspot.com)

Does this mean that BJÂŽs taglist and Mklauber's dropaction-Tagpill
features are now part of the core and I can replace them with a
widget-based syntax.

Thanks a lot Jan
2017-03-19 21:33:14 UTC
A discovery; When dropping into an edit field, the titles appear without
[[space capturing brackets]] .

Again... let me express how happy I am with this addition. I think it is
super cool as it is and I expect super cool things to evolve from it.

2017-04-05 12:49:18 UTC
Post by Mat
A discovery; When dropping into an edit field, the titles appear without
[[space capturing brackets]] .
Again... let me express how happy I am with this addition. I think it is
super cool as it is and I expect super cool things to evolve from it.
<:-)
THanks for the heads-up, I had been planning to ask for this feature, but
one must be patient, I suppose.
Alex Hough
2017-04-18 08:32:40 UTC
Ive been playing with drag and drop... and I for me it opens up a new way
of working.

Lists have been overshadowed by tags for two long!

*Set titles to links drag to pills*

*​*

*When titles are links they can be dragged into TagPills*

​
The drag and dropped Tiddler is tagged by the TagPill and goes onto the
tags list

The titles of the tag tiddler can change, so lists can be made without
really knowing what you want to call that list

​
Delaying the classification of a list until after it is formed and played
about with fits with the way I behave in the physical world. A tiddler is
another word for a "thingy", a provisional name for something. Names can
come later, its capturing the thought that's important.

In some ways a list in more is a more basic method of organising things
than linking.

The drag and drop capability brings super-fast list making to TiddlyWiki.
Dragging and dropping links in lists

*Easy draggable lists *

There's two new macros for creating draggable lists.

Here I cut and paste the example and change it. The new tiddler now has a
draggable and droppable list

*​*

*Drag from the sidebar onto the list in the new tiddler*

reorder if you want

Look out for captions!

the list macro uses the caption field of a tiddler (if it has one) in the
list (see "droppable" and "draggable" below)

*​*

*Draggable Open*

Re-order the StoryRiver by drag and droppging titles in the open tag
* fold tiddlers comes in more useful

​

*Drag to action*

The DraggableWidget tiddler has two demos which could signal the way
towards more drag and drop features. A tiddler is dragged onto an icon,
that icon is added to the tiddler. The tiddler is dragged onto a colour,
the tiddlers color field is set to that colour.

It's not hard to imagine similar behaviours using different ActionWidgets

- drag a tiddler only a tag
- drag tiddler onto a list
- drag an icon onto a tiddler to tag it
- drag a list icon of a particular colour onto a tiddler to add that
tiddler to a coloured list.
- drag to a bin icon: remove tiddler from a particular list

that's all for now

Alex
Post by j***@gmail.com
Post by Mat
A discovery; When dropping into an edit field, the titles appear without
[[space capturing brackets]] .
Again... let me express how happy I am with this addition. I think it is
super cool as it is and I expect super cool things to evolve from it.
<:-)
THanks for the heads-up, I had been planning to ask for this feature, but
one must be patient, I suppose.
msgid/tiddlywiki/ec1f759f-19ce-48cf-b67d-95156bbdcc8c%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/ec1f759f-19ce-48cf-b67d-95156bbdcc8c%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
Jeff Vance
2017-04-18 16:48:35 UTC
Thanks for pointing these out Alex. I didn't realize so many new
possibilities were opening up with this feature. I completely agree with
your point on the ability to change the name of the tag tiddler. I run into
this problem all the time. I start collecting and grouping things, only
later changing how I want to classify them. Up until now I relied heavily
on the RenameTags tiddler that was previously posted in the community.
2017-04-18 17:04:46 UTC
AlexHough wrote:

*When titles are links they can be dragged into TagPills*
Hah! That's really cool!!!! Thanks for reporting Alex!

BTW, I *always* set "titles as links". I can't see why one would not want
this - other than having blue titles which is a styling matter and not a
functionality matter.

Jeff Vance
2017-03-19 21:48:06 UTC
I'm very excited to use these new features. One odd thing I noticed: I
just experimented with dragging the entries in a tag drop down list. I
noticed that it isn't possible to drag a title directly to the end of the
list. You have to instead drag it to be 2nd to last, then drag the last
entry up. Not really a big deal, but I'm assuming maybe that wasn't
intended.

Cheers!
Jeff
2017-03-19 21:57:24 UTC
It keeps getting better!

I think I need this one explained:

drag tiddler titles into the open tag dropdown to add that tag to those
tiddlers

I could drag a tiddler into the dropdown tiddler box and the title would
appear -- but I still have to press "add" to add it. When dragging foreign
language titles they would show up with the square brackets in the tag
name.

Thanks!
Mark
2017-03-19 22:01:45 UTC
Never mind -- I get it now.

Thanks!
Mark
It keeps getting better!
BJ
Handoko Suwono
2017-03-20 08:23:35 UTC
I asked once about drag and drop, so I am reposting to following the
updates.

"A friend asked. Is there any chance to use TW with the drop and drag
functions or I don't know how? I think it's about anything related to drop
and drag' and possibly related to work with tiddly desktop or the new
beaker browser on OSx."

Thanks.

handoko -
Matthew Lauber

Alex Hough
2017-03-20 16:45:18 UTC
Excellent!
Well done Jeremy and BJ!

Alex
Post by Jeremy Ruston
[...]
msgid/tiddlywiki/79d19861-4023-4382-b673-3749f4e85694%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/79d19861-4023-4382-b673-3749f4e85694%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
2017-03-20 22:53:59 UTC
Many thanks for the feedback. I’ve posted an update to http://tiddlywiki.com/prerelease <http://tiddlywiki.com/prerelease> with a few changes:

* Added support for dragging items to the end of lists
* Added support for using drag and drop to reorder toolbar buttons in Control Panel, Appearance, Toolbars
* Added some macros for draggable lists:
** based on a list field: list-links-draggable(tiddler,field:"list",type:"ul",subtype:"li",class:"",itemTemplate)
** based on a tags field, with sorting via the companion list field: list-tagged-draggable(tag,itemTemplate)
* Fixed: Lack of [[quoting]] for tiddler titles dragged into a text box, reported by Mat
* Fixed: Crash with dragging text snippets, reported by Mario

I’d welcome any thoughts about other opportunities to improve other areas of the UI with drag and drop.

Best wishes

Jeremy
Post by Alex Hough
Excellent!
Well done Jeremy and BJ!
Alex
https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/commit/eba1c3c160c63ac3dfc15f55df086971a832d657 <https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/commit/eba1c3c160c63ac3dfc15f55df086971a832d657>
2017-03-20 23:28:39 UTC
@Jeremy - thanks for updates!

Some new issues though:
The very thing you show in the animation in your last post does not seem to
work in (Win10) FF, Edge or IE. (In chrome it does work.)
Further, I get the red JS error in Edge when attempting to relocate an item
within tab Open.

2017-03-24 00:31:18 UTC
Updating my error report from a few days ago. Can anybody confirm these
problems:

Win10
- drag tagpill into sidebar does not work in Edge or IE. (It works in FF
and Chrome!)
- red JS error in Edge when attempting to use drag'n drop all togehter.
Error message "Element not found"

Prevously, the tagpill part also didn't work for FF, for me. In other
words, the problems now seem limited to Edge or IE, which are historically
not the best browsers for TW anyway.

Xavier Cazin
2017-03-23 10:23:15 UTC
Hi Jeremy,

Thank you for this very useful feature!

After playing with it for a while, a request for an additional
functionality arose: being able to restrict the dragged tiddlers to be
accepted in certain droppable areas while being refused in others. I guess
I could use a state parameter with the <$draggable> widget, and
whitelist/blacklist parameters with the <$droppable> widget.

Also, for the record, being able to use drag and drop on phones and tablets
would be nice :-)

Cheers,

-- Xavier Cazin
Post by Jeremy Ruston
[...]
msgid/tiddlywiki/CALc1hYc02LiUjf-Sa2jOp6iBn5N4_WwyRy2XVpo-%3D%3DCXhoMYdA%
40mail.gmail.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/CALc1hYc02LiUjf-Sa2jOp6iBn5N4_WwyRy2XVpo-%3D%3DCXhoMYdA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
msgid/tiddlywiki/6B46553F-2667-4415-A7CE-6182939FC6C2%40gmail.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/6B46553F-2667-4415-A7CE-6182939FC6C2%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
2017-03-23 10:32:28 UTC
Hi Xavier

Thanks for the feedback
After playing with it for a while, a request for an additional functionality arose: being able to restrict the dragged tiddlers to be accepted in certain droppable areas while being refused in others. I guess I could use a state parameter with the <$draggable> widget, and whitelist/blacklist parameters with the <$droppable> widget.
That’s my thinking too. I think we need two capabilities:

* Adding a “type” attribute to the draggable widget, and an “acceptType” attribute to the droppable widget
* Adding a filter to the droppable widget that is applied to incoming tiddlers so that they can be checked (eg only accepting tiddlers with a given tag)
Also, for the record, being able to use drag and drop on phones and tablets would be nice :-)
I did find this shim that implements the HTML5 drag and drop APIs on mobile browsers, both iOS and Android:

https://github.com/timruffles/ios-html5-drag-drop-shim

Does the demo work for you?

http://timruffles.github.io/ios-html5-drag-drop-shim/enter-leave/

Best wishes

Jeremy
Cheers,
-- Xavier Cazin
* Added support for dragging items to the end of lists
* Added support for using drag and drop to reorder toolbar buttons in Control Panel, Appearance, Toolbars
** based on a list field: list-links-draggable(tiddler,field:"list",type:"ul",subtype:"li",class:"",itemTemplate)
** based on a tags field, with sorting via the companion list field: list-tagged-draggable(tag,itemTemplate)
* Fixed: Lack of [[quoting]] for tiddler titles dragged into a text box, reported by Mat
* Fixed: Crash with dragging text snippets, reported by Mario
I’d welcome any thoughts about other opportunities to improve other areas of the UI with drag and drop.
Best wishes
Jeremy
<TestGif2.gif>
Post by Alex Hough
Excellent!
Well done Jeremy and BJ!
Alex
Xavier Cazin
2017-03-23 10:59:36 UTC
​i Jeremy,
​
Post by Xavier Cazin
After playing with it for a while, a request for an additional
functionality arose: being able to restrict the dragged tiddlers to be
accepted in certain droppable areas while being refused in others. I guess
I could use a state parameter with the <$draggable> widget, and
whitelist/blacklist parameters with the <$droppable> widget.
* Adding a “type” attribute to the draggable widget, and an “acceptType”
attribute to the droppable widget
* Adding a filter to the droppable widget that is applied to incoming
tiddlers so that they can be checked (eg only accepting tiddlers with a
given tag)
​Yes!​
Post by Xavier Cazin
Also, for the record, being able to use drag and drop on phones and
tablets would be nice :-)
I did find this shim that implements the HTML5 drag and drop APIs on
https://github.com/timruffles/ios-html5-drag-drop-shim
Does the demo work for you?
http://timruffles.github.io/ios-html5-drag-drop-shim/enter-leave/
​Indeed, the demo works very smoothly on every browsers I have got
installed on my Android 5.1 phone!

Have a good day
​-- Xavier​.
Thomas Elmiger
2017-03-23 12:31:48 UTC
Hi Jeremy

I have only a minor issue with the demo: When I point on the left of a list item and drag, it works as expected – when I point on the right side of an element it *jumps* to the right when I start dragging so that it feels much less smooth.

Great features!
Thomas
David Szego
2017-03-21 00:26:12 UTC
Thrilled to hear this, great work!
Atul Grover
2017-03-21 15:31:26 UTC
Hi Jeremy,

Is there any "Theme tweak options" or "Default Sidebar Tab actions" which
will make the TW more suitable for mobiles wherein the sidebar open/close
from the side rather than becoming visible/hidden at the top?

Just by making this minor change TW will become much appropriate for mobile
devices.

Better still if TW could automatically shift to such functionality when
opened on a mobile device.

Regards

Atul
2017-03-21 15:43:56 UTC
Hi Atul

Please could you start a new thread if you’re posting about a new topic?

Thank you,

Best wishes

Jeremy.
Jeff Vance
2017-03-21 20:11:39 UTC
Quick question: Does the drag and drop only work when the filter is based
on the contents of a field? It appears to be the case. I see in the demo it
grabs all the days of the week from the List field and drag/drop saves the
new order in that field. So what if you use a filter that doesn't get the
order from a field? I'm guessing it won't work since there is no way to
save the state of the new ordering. So I assume that if you want to make
any list draggable, you must save the filtered list to a field first.
'c pa' via TiddlyWiki
2017-03-21 21:53:19 UTC
Jeff,

Notice in the demo that Jeremy has defined a macro called drop-actions()
that specifically edits the contents of that list field. That macro is then
called in the associated droppable widget.

\define drop-actions()
<$action-listops $tiddler="Days of the Week"
$subfilter="+[insertbefore:currentTiddler<*actionTiddler*>]"/>
\end

<$droppable actions=<<drop-actions>>>

There seems to be a special variable, *actionTiddler*, that corresponds to
the list of tiddler titles being dropped. So yes, you do need to identify
some container to hold the ordered list but that container can be a
tiddler's text, a list field, or an index. (I can't think of any other
out-of-the-box containers) You may perhaps be able to pass it to a button
or other widget but that would need some testing to figure out how that
works.

Matt Groth
2017-03-23 04:14:09 UTC
Thank you Jeremy and contributors! So excited to test this out!
Jan
2017-03-25 21:22:55 UTC
Hi Jeremy,
where do I find the empty prerelease to update. It would be nice to have
a link in the list of new features...

Best wishes
Jan
Atul Grover
2017-03-27 07:32:46 UTC
Thank you Jeremy and BJ!! Took me some time to comprehend...now I realize
how I can use this great utility, especially in my project.

Thanks
2017-03-28 12:10:47 UTC
@Jeremy

In e.g github it is possible to press Ctrl-v to paste images from
clipboard/memory. I'm thinking this has similarities with drag'n drop, i.e
I'm assuming drag'n drop also temporarily holds something in some memory
and then copies from memory into where it is dropped.

So, I'm wondering if this new functionality lays the ground for
paste-image-from-clipboard or if that is a whole different matter?

2017-03-28 12:14:38 UTC
Hi Mat
In e.g github it is possible to press Ctrl-v to paste images from clipboard/memory. I'm thinking this has similarities with drag'n drop, i.e I'm assuming drag'n drop also temporarily holds something in some memory and then copies from memory into where it is dropped.
So, I'm wondering if this new functionality lays the ground for paste-image-from-clipboard or if that is a whole different matter?
Drag and drop is indeed implemented similarly to clipboard operations.

However, "paste from clipboard” has been in TiddlyWiki5 for a few years. Up until recently it only worked in Chrome, but now it seems to work in Firefox too.

To try it out, copy an image to the clipboard, and then click on a TiddlyWiki window background, and use the menu or shortcut key for paste, and you should get an import tiddler for importing that image.

Best wishes

Jeremy.
2017-03-28 19:15:49 UTC
Post by Jeremy Ruston
However, "paste from clipboard” has been in TiddlyWiki5 for a few years.
Up until recently it only worked in Chrome, but now it seems to work in
Firefox too.
To try it out, copy an image to the clipboard, and then click on a
TiddlyWiki window background, and use the menu or shortcut key for paste,
and you should get an import tiddler for importing that image.
Hah - that was news to me! I'm glad it works but I made the assumption that
I think most people make namely that pasting "should" work like in github,
gmail, text editors etc i.e that one pastes into the *editor *as is done
when pasting text. For anyone compelled to make a plugin, is it at all
possible to apply a separate drop zone to the text editor? (What exactly
should happen when an image is dropped is another matter, I think.)

Interestingly, pasting into Chrome creates a tiddler named "Untitled"
whereas pasting into FF creates "image.png". Is that a browser design
matter or TW? Nice with informative metadata in default names.

Thanks!

AltugOz
2017-03-29 03:40:54 UTC
Hi Mat,

I believe what you are describing i.e. pasting an image into the editor window, can currently be done when editing HTML tiddlers using ckeditor (through the VisualEditor plugin).

Any pasted image is encoded in base64, embedded within the tiddler and displayed in the editor window. You can scale it and apply custom styles etc. What this doesn't do however is to create a separate image tiddler with that image's content. Still, this workflow works for my purposes as I don't reuse images within the wiki very often.

Best,
Altug
2017-03-30 11:21:25 UTC
@Jeremy

I just realized DnD is limited to *copying* the title into the new place.
It does not seem possible to *relocate a title from one list to another*
which means one has to manually edit the source list (after locating
wherever it resides!) to delete the item.

However, within a list it is (understandably) the other way around; DnD
relocates rather than copies.

An option to have the dropping cause relocation would be neat. (And it
would probably allow for a desktop drag-to-garbage can!)

2017-03-30 11:30:26 UTC
Post by Mat
An option to have the dropping cause relocation would be neat. (And it
would probably allow for a desktop drag-to-garbage can!)
hmm,
Since d&d primarily uses tags and many tiddlers have multiple tags, they
should be _not_ relocated, since this means removing the tag. ... For me
this wouldn't be preferable.

... but ... having different modifiers eg: ctrl d&d... copy, shift d&d
move, alt d&d ... ???, ctrl-shift d&d... ??, alt-shift d&d... ??? may be
useful settings. .. If those states can be recognised.

-mario
2017-03-31 06:25:52 UTC
Post by PMario
Post by Mat
An option to have the dropping cause relocation would be neat. (And it
would probably allow for a desktop drag-to-garbage can!)
hmm,
Since d&d primarily uses tags and many tiddlers have multiple tags, they
should be _not_ relocated, since this means removing the tag. ... For me
this wouldn't be preferable.
... but ... having different modifiers eg: ctrl d&d... copy, shift d&d
move, alt d&d ... ???, ctrl-shift d&d... ??, alt-shift d&d... ??? may be
useful settings. .. If those states can be recognised.
Good point! (And, it probably points to a weakness in how we use tags but
that's another story.) but as you say, one could imagine optional
modifiers, either via keyboard commands. Another idea could be some visual
option buttons appearing as you drop that take into account if the dropping
zone is withing the same list or on some other place where you might want
to rid the tag after all. A third idea, or perhaps one including the two
former, could be a $droppable paramter such as "untag=yes". Needs more
thinking.

Jeff Vance
2017-03-31 16:27:48 UTC
I was thinking of what might be a convenient way of taking advantage of the
drag-and-drop. One that came to mind is when you're writing a document and
you want to draft each section in a different tiddler. In the writing
process, you inevitably will need to reorganize sections or insert
sections. Each section of the document could be tagged by a Table of
Contents tiddler that lists all the sections in order. With drag-and-drop,
it sounds like you could simply drag the order of the sections in the TOC
and it can save the new order in a field. Then when you're done, you can
transclude all the sections in the correct order to export the final draft.
2017-04-01 17:56:56 UTC
Post by Jeff Vance
I was thinking of what might be a convenient way of taking advantage of
the drag-and-drop. One that came to mind is when you're writing a document
and you want to draft each section in a different tiddler. In the writing
process, you inevitably will need to reorganize sections or insert
sections. Each section of the document could be tagged by a Table of
Contents tiddler that lists all the sections in order. With drag-and-drop,
it sounds like you could simply drag the order of the sections in the TOC
and it can save the new order in a field. Then when you're done, you can
transclude all the sections in the correct order to export the final draft.
Jeff, that reminds me of TiddlyDocs ! A *very* fascinating project from
many years ago.

Check this out:

Video-intro
by Simon McManus
to the original
<http://demo.tiddlydocs.com/demo/recipes/mydocs/tiddlers.wiki> creation
(sorry, dead link).
Here <http://vanillatiddlydocs.tiddlyspot.com/> is an attempted remake by
me (in TW classic)
.and this <https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/tiddlywiki/3wCOHNLBFhQ>
is a discussion from 2014 that finishes off with @Jeremy talking about DnD
in TW5 that should let us make TiddlyDocs one day!!! ;-)

To have the TW5 ToC macros feature DnD would be fantastic. It would make it
very easy to author stories, papers, articles.. really any linear
document... piece wise.

2017-04-01 18:11:00 UTC
what could a newcomer do with that? :-)

Mat wrote:

... that reminds me of TiddlyDocs ! A *very* fascinating project from many
Post by Mat
years ago.
Video-intro http://youtu.be/ccdw6mzvzwY by Simon
2017-04-01 18:24:24 UTC
what could a newcomer do with that? :-)
TiddlyDocs would e.g let you author a book by first making an outline of
chapters and subsections. Then fill in stuff gradually and easily rearrange
the outline.
The main point - at least IMO - was/is that you can get a linear document
in this otherwise wonderfully non-linear tool. Linearity is, of course,
necessary in many situations like, say, books or discussion threads.

If your question was more about what a newcomer can do with TiddlyDocs as
that old relic stands today, I'd say that a newcomer should better focus on
TW5 and encourage developing DnD to enable TiddlyDocs functionality in TW5.

2017-04-01 19:14:34 UTC
I encourage DnD :-)
'Sergey Shishkin' via TiddlyWiki
2017-03-31 21:10:03 UTC
Hi, Jeremy.

Is it possible to include in the 14th release the ability to install a
hidden sidbar when opening a wiki? For example, in Control Panel> Settings>
add Default Sidebar (show or hide).

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/tiddlywiki/o4TqjuO7sZM

Best wishes

Sergey
Douglas Counts
2017-04-18 20:21:16 UTC
I would also be awesome if the order of the table of contents could be
rearranged with Drag and Drop. Doing so would make it incredibly easy to
customize that tab for a myriad of purposes.

Perhaps to drag current TOC items to the top of the list. Arrange the TOC
alphabetically with Drag and Drop, etc. Not having to use macros to do
this would make TiddlyWiki more accessible to your basic user.

-Doug
Alex Hough
2017-04-19 17:50:41 UTC
Here's something to play with: drop onto a delete button to remove all tags

Demo here : https://alexhough.github.io/DropToDelete.html

Alex
Post by Douglas Counts
I would also be awesome if the order of the table of contents could be
rearranged with Drag and Drop. Doing so would make it incredibly easy to
customize that tab for a myriad of purposes.
Perhaps to drag current TOC items to the top of the list. Arrange the TOC
alphabetically with Drag and Drop, etc. Not having to use macros to do
this would make TiddlyWiki more accessible to your basic user.
-Doug
msgid/tiddlywiki/c3079768-6693-4a29-be53-e10f20ff28b2%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/c3079768-6693-4a29-be53-e10f20ff28b2%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>

Thomas Elmiger
2017-04-20 19:48:26 UTC
Hi Alex

Would it be possible to remove single tags instead of all in the same way?

If I put my finger on the link in your second tiddler a little bit longer,
I get a Red Screen of Death with this message:
ReferenceError: Can't find variable: evt

(iOS on iPhone) – I have no idea about why this happens, just wanted to let
you know.

All the best!
Thomas
Alex Hough
2017-04-21 10:35:22 UTC
Hi Thomas,

I think it would be possible to remove single tags

You can do this already, the trick is to drop from a TagPill, which Jeremy
has updated.

This giff below was recorded from
https://alexhough.github.io/DropToDelete.html

​

I have made another demo, this one uses ActionSendMessageWidget to close a
tiddler, and I have -- in a highly unusual move -- documented my progress!

https://alexhough.github.io/DropOntoToClose.html

I am not sure, but I think it would depend if FieldMangerWidget is
compatible with the DroppableWidget

If so, the tm-remove-tiddler message could be used

I think the starting point to look into this is the core TagPill macro and
the tagpill template

Basically Jeremy has used list-tagged-draggable Macro
<https://alexhough.github.io/DropOntoToClose.html#list-tagged-draggable%20Macro>

try this superlong url, with various open tiddlers
<https://alexhough.github.io/DropOntoToClose.html#%24%3A%2FAdvancedSearch:%24%3A%2FAdvancedSearch%20%24%3A%2Fcore%2Fmacros%2Ftag%20%5B%5Blist-tagged-draggable%20Macro%5D%5D%20%5B%5Btag-pill%20Macro%5D%5D>

It feels more intuitive to drag a tag onto a tiddler to tag it... i;ve not
quite got my head round it at the moment, but i think its about swapping
round currentTiddler and actionTiddler in the maco definition part of the
droppable tiddler

Alex
Post by Alex Hough
Here's something to play with: drop onto a delete button to remove all tags
Demo here : https://alexhough.github.io/DropToDelete.html
Alex
msgid/tiddlywiki/CALXLrTiJrJHnEtFkXSXeYEFwJ2QgA
7ZAuLMmgy%3Dtu7UdL%3Di%3D5w%40mail.gmail.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/CALXLrTiJrJHnEtFkXSXeYEFwJ2QgA7ZAuLMmgy%3Dtu7UdL%3Di%3D5w%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
2017-04-21 13:11:40 UTC
Post by Thomas Elmiger
ReferenceError: Can't find variable: evt
Thanks Thomas, that should be fixed now if you check http://tiddlywiki.com/prerelease <http://tiddlywiki.com/prerelease>

Best wishes

Jeremy
Thomas Elmiger
2017-04-21 15:17:15 UTC
Hi Jeremy

I answer here, assuming the RSOD on iOS links is related to DnD
 I found another – external – link in the new prerelease producing another RSOD:

TypeError: undefined is not an object (evaluating 'files.length')
close

this appears when I longer-tap the first link on
http://tiddlywiki.com/prerelease/#Transclusion

All the best,
Thomas
Thomas Elmiger
2017-04-21 15:25:24 UTC
By the way – dragging of internal links on mobile seems to be of limited use in most cases: the link takes you to the link target before you get a chance to reach a drag target

Am I missing something?
2017-04-21 15:36:54 UTC
Hi Thomas
Post by Thomas Elmiger
TypeError: undefined is not an object (evaluating 'files.length')
close
this appears when I longer-tap the first link on
http://tiddlywiki.com/prerelease/#Transclusion <http://tiddlywiki.com/prerelease/#Transclusion>
Thanks, that’s now fixed.
Post by Thomas Elmiger
By the way – dragging of internal links on mobile seems to be of limited use in most cases: the link takes you to the link target before you get a chance to reach a drag target

I upgraded the underling ios-drag-drop.js library, and I think it has introduced a regression. For me, I can’t drag the links in a tag dropdown but dragging the links in the “Open” tab of the sidebar works fine. I’ll investigate.

Best wishes

Jeremy
2017-04-22 12:16:40 UTC
Ciao Jeremy

The cross-browser (& cross-device) issues kinda make this wonderful
drag-and-drop work you have done a bit of saga?

I can see its immensely helpful where it works. I found Alex Hough's simple
demos illustrate it well.

One obvious application would be for IN (one) Tiddler re-organisation. For
instance, to re-arrange To Do Lists. Could it do that?

2017-04-22 16:12:20 UTC
Hi Josiah
The cross-browser (& cross-device) issues kinda make this wonderful drag-and-drop work you have done a bit of saga?
I can see its immensely helpful where it works. I found Alex Hough's simple demos illustrate it well.
I think you’re referring to the recent discussion of problems with iOS. It’s important to understand that those problems relate to the off-the-shelf open source “shim” we’re using that attempts to add HTML5-compliant drag and drop APIs to mobile browsers. Most drag and drop stuff on the web just doesn’t work on touch browsers; it’s pretty remarkable that the shim works at all. It is being actively developed, though, so we can hope that issues will get resolved.

Otherwise, the only cross browser issues I’m aware of are the (harmless) problem of the ghost dropzone highlight in Firefox, and the inability to drag links on Internet Explorer 11.

best wishes

Jeremy.
2017-04-22 16:31:45 UTC
Ciao Jeremy

FYI I have a Microsoft Surface Tablet that has touchscreen. It works fine
with d-n-d in TW5. Its Windows 10 running standard Firefox. I assume its
just treating my finger as if it was the mouse--i.e. replicating a standard
desktop. But at least its worth confirming that type of touchscreen is not
an issue.

Hi Josiah
2017-04-22 16:06:29 UTC
Ciao Jeremy

I notice that the visuals of drag-&-drop are sometimes odd. It seems more
an AESTHETIC issue than a problem, but its a bit confusing.

Here is a screen capture running under Firefox ESR 45.8 on Windows that
illustrates the issue. Sometimes the green dashed box persists after the
d-n-d.

2017-04-22 16:09:30 UTC
Hi Josiah
I notice that the visuals of drag-&-drop are sometimes odd. It seems more an AESTHETIC issue than a problem, but its a bit confusing.
Here is a screen capture running under Firefox ESR 45.8 on Windows that illustrates the issue. Sometimes the green dashed box persists after the d-n-d.
Firefox has a long-standing bug with the events it sends during a drag operation which can lead to the dropzone highlighting not being removed. I’ve spent a ridiculous amount of time on it, and frankly now given up :)

Best wishes

Jeremy
<Auto Generated Inline Image 1.gif>
<Auto Generated Inline Image 1.gif>
2017-04-22 16:37:13 UTC
Ciao Jeremy

Post by Jeremy Ruston
operation which can lead to the dropzone highlighting not being removed.
I’ve spent a ridiculous amount of time on it, and frankly now given up :)
Okay, I won't bother working out why the gif I sent illustrating the issue
isn't animating :-) since you know the issue in FF anyway, and have spent
too much time on it already. :-)

2017-04-22 16:13:40 UTC
Jeremy

For some reason that animated gif I just posted isn't animating online when
I looked at the post. I'll try again.