[tw] [TW5] Source of SVG visualizations (slightly off-topic)
Peter Miller
2015-03-04 15:09:45 UTC
I don't know how long it will be there but RAW at
http://app.raw.densitydesign.org/ provides some nice visualizations and
specimen data. The exported SVG plays nicely with TiddlyWiki as far as I
can tell though I've yet to work out how to make it editable in SVG-Edit.
Peter Miller
2015-03-05 14:35:49 UTC
In similar vein, you can convert charts in Excel to SVG format in a
slightly roundabout way, viz move them to their own tab, save to PDF, use
cloudconvert.com to generate an SVG file and add it to Tw5 by
drag-and-drop. I'm not sure whether that has any significant advantages but
may be of interest until such time as a charting plugin becomes available.

bw

Peter
Andreas Hahn
2015-03-05 15:00:47 UTC
Hi Peter,

very interesting workarounds to get charts into TW, I think for now
that is about the best way to do it.
There are d3 widgets (namnely a bar chart and a cloud chart) available
as a plugin in TW, however, they are very difficult to use in terms of
input data formatting. Currently they require a specific json input,
maybe someday they can handle csv data that could be pasted straight
from excel. I think I also saw other widgets offering other chart types,
but I am not sure.

/Andreas
Peter Miller
2015-03-09 17:58:14 UTC
Again, an offline kludge but may be of interest in converting to and from
json. Can roundtrip single-line text though I wouldn't like to say how
reliable it is. http://www.convertcsv.com/

bw

Peter
Peter Miller
2015-03-11 08:02:42 UTC
This actually worked very well on a 4700rowx10col table (a bacterial genome
feature table, mainly numbers, id codes, a short descriptor) pasted from
Excel. Just swap to tab as delimiter and make sure you have the Force wrap
numbers in quotes option enabled. I then did a search/replace to identify
the title and text fields, the remainder ending up as footer fields (or
whatever they're called). Import of the resulting json paused a couple of
times but pressing Continue ultimately saw the operation complete
successfully.
Again, an offline kludge but may be of interest in converting csv to and
2015-03-11 11:43:15 UTC
RAW looks great, thanks for the pointer.

Looking around on GitHub it seems that they have defined a standardised
JavaScript interface for talking to all their library of charts. It looks
like it would be straightforward to create a TW5 widget that encapsulates
this interface, allowing any of the RAW graphs to be used within TW.

https://github.com/densitydesign/raw/wiki/Adding-New-Charts

Best wishes

Jeremy.
mailto:***@gmail.com
Peter Miller

Peter Miller
2015-03-05 22:04:58 UTC
Thanks, Andreas -- I guess you mean these (which I had seen but forgotten):
http://tiddlywiki.com/plugins/tiddlywiki/d3/#HelloThere

Incidentally, the following may be of passing interest as a means to letter
(png) images for use on blogs: https://bufferapp.com/pablo
Peter Miller
2015-03-13 08:49:46 UTC
May be useful for converting non-fancy xml though you will have to do a
search/replace to name title and text fields:
http://www.utilities-online.info/xmltojson/

bw

Peter