[tw5] [TW5] Bob version 1.0.4 Sourdough Pizza (preparation for federation)
2018-08-23 09:36:50 UTC
This is a very small update compared to the previous one. The only
significant addition in the internalFetch message that lets you copy
tiddlers from one wiki on the Bob server into another one and is modelled
after the --fetch command created by Jeremy for the core.

It is copying, so the two versions are independent, changing the tiddler is
the source wiki has no effect on the copied version. Sharing the same
tiddler between wikis so changes to the tiddler appear in every wiki that
has the tiddler is planned but may be a while.

I am making this release with so little in it because the next step is to
add inter-server federation and I wanted a clean start for that. As an
addition I am planning on making a plugin that single file wikis can use to
fetch or send tiddlers from/to Bob servers.

The single executable version is here:
https://github.com/OokTech/TW5-SingleExecutable/releases
The plugin version is here: https://github.com/OokTech/TW5-Bob, or you can
do a drag and drop install from

The changelog for this version is (the full changelog is available in the
Bob repo):

- The disconnected message is now much smaller because you can keep working
on
the wiki and reconnect.
- Added the internalFetch message to match the --fetch command in the core.
-It fetches tiddlers from another wiki on the same Bob server
-Tiddlers to import are selected by a filter
-There is an optional transform filter that can modify the imported
tiddlers
titles (you can add prefixes/suffixes, etc.)
-Conflict resolution uses the same system as resyncing to a server.
2018-08-23 09:38:15 UTC
Oh, I forgot to actually put in the link to the wiki you can do a
drag-and-drop install from: https://www.ooktech.xyz:8443/Public
2018-08-23 15:53:02 UTC
Quote from https://www.ooktech.xyz:8443/Public

"This is going to be used to show responses to questions on the forums and
as a history of answered questions."

Me is like goin';

[image: giphy.gif] <about:invalid#zClosurez>
Mohammad
2018-08-23 16:18:39 UTC
Jed,
This may be a redundant question! but I am using Bob 1.0.3, why the saved
wiki (as a single file) when reopened in browser does not work and shows a
javascript erroe!
The red page!

/Mohammad
2018-08-23 16:25:11 UTC
Where is the single file wiki from? If you have Bob in a single file wiki
than there will be an error.
Mohammad
2018-08-23 18:21:54 UTC
Jed,
I have tiddlyWin32.exe (the single executable). I created wikis using Bob
(tiddlyWin32.exe)
and they works fine! When I click on the save button a single (mywiki.html)
is saved on my local folder!
Opening this file in browser shows the red window (JavaScript error)

- Mohammad
2018-08-23 19:07:18 UTC
Mat,

That has been on that wiki for a few weeks now, from back when I first set
it up. I have been putting some of my answers there but I have been very
inconsistent. That is why it needs more people who can edit it. Also for
something that is actually a group project the dev server for ooktech is a
bad place to be because we routinely break the server in our other
experiments.

Mohammad,

I should disable that saving function, it isn't useful with Bob.

The wiki saves automatically, wikis saved using the save button will be
single file copies of the wiki but they have the Bob plugin with gives
errors. If you want to export a single file version with out Bob than you
use the bulidHTMLWiki message described
here: https://www.ooktech.xyz:8443/Public#%24%3A%2Fplugins%2FOokTech%2FBob%2FWebSocketMessage-buildHTMLWiki

If you just want to use Bob normally than everything gets saved
automatically.
Mohammad
2018-08-23 19:24:02 UTC
Thank you Jed!
So, yes please disable or hide it!
I got how to have a single html file from wikis created by Bob!

Thanks again
Mohammad
2018-08-23 19:39:41 UTC
Jed,

One more point!
I was able to successfully create the single file wiki using the
instruction here
https://www.ooktech.xyz:8443/Public#%24%3A%2Fplugins%2FOokTech%2FBob%2FWebSocketMessage-buildHTMLWiki

Just I want to ask it would be better to have a short message (like the
ones appeared as small yellow popup in tiddlywiki) when build the single
file successfully!
Of course I can switch to console to see what happened!

*Mohammad*
2018-08-26 08:11:23 UTC
Post by Jed Carty
Mat,
That has been on that wiki for a few weeks now, from back when I first set
it up. I have been putting some of my answers there but I have been very
inconsistent. That is why it needs more people who can edit it. Also for
something that is actually a group project the dev server for ooktech is a
bad place to be because we routinely break the server in our other
experiments.
So... should we or should we not post there? If it risks being erased then
one doesn't really want to put in too much effort in formulating answers.
Maybe you just need anything (nonsense) to see it works? How can people
help this particular project out to make federation become reality? Is the
actual need a permanent and robust server? What else?

2018-09-07 18:36:22 UTC
Ciao Jed & Bob

Testing Single Executable version of Bob 1.0.4 on Windows 7 64-bit desktop
in Firefox 52.9.

editionsPath: Unfortunately I still can't get "editionsPath" to work. I
still get the same error as I reported for 1.0.2 ...

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tiddlywiki/c_Xgyw4Sku0/Um9cYSBtCgAJ

Not sure if its me or Bob at fault.

2018-09-07 19:03:17 UTC
internalFetch.

Worked really well in tests I did. Its very useful indeed. And not just for
TWederation. Its a great tool for helping build wiki. For instance, rather
than drag & drop a JSON I can set up a single push-button to achieve the
same thing to transport needed Tiddlers.

A comment: Only issue is I don't see any feedback telling me if it worked
or not. I had to go look manually to find out.

2018-09-07 19:17:55 UTC
For folk on email I updated my post about "internalFetch" that changes its
meaning @
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tiddlywiki/p40Q30fhEoo/_bfhHbdXBQAJ
2018-09-07 19:57:57 UTC
Query about "internalFetch."

I was wondering if the internalFetch mechanism could somehow work along
with excludeList in buildHTMLWiki. In other words building a single file
Wiki that (a) excludes some Tiddlers and (b) includes some Tiddlers not
needed in Bob but needed in a standalone Wiki. An example would be adding a
CSS Tiddler that hides part of the interface in a wiki destined for on-line
use.

Just a thought
2018-09-07 20:38:59 UTC
A comment on Documentation.

Jed, I think your documentation is good. Its not too long. Its not too
short. It is to the point.

BUT I found I have to constantly refer to the documentation because Bob is
rich and it takes a while to get your head round it. Its not like familiar
TW. The cross-interactions and the interface with the OS are quite
different.

What I am getting at is that it might be an idea to get the docs a bit more
upfront. I found it important to read them thoroughly and then re-read them
till I get clear. Maybe they could be linked to more in Bob Central?

Just a thought
2018-09-08 15:03:43 UTC
I AM beginning to wonder if I'm the only person using Bob?

I think its fantastic.

The utility for making wikis is unsurpassed. You get all of standard TW
plus great tools for building stand-alone TW wikis. Access to the OS to run
programs to do things TW is not so good at. The Single Executable version
is a doddle to get started on. Its multi-user-access enabled out of the
box. Works over a network. Is available for most every platform.

I wrote a thread on some basics in Bob for Windows no one but TonyM replied
to:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?pli=1#!searchin/tiddlywiki/session$201%7Csort:date/tiddlywiki/lBqVhw-M3ds/4Enu62jECAAJ

I'm not quite sure what the issue is. Lack of numbers? Lack of
comprehension? "Just getting on with it so I don't need report back?"

IMO this kind of tool needs feedback, Jed needs feedback, so it can improve
and so the developer doesn't feel "no one uses it." I do. Its changed how I
use TW. I basically write in Bob now. Some I build from Bob to TW that run
in TiddlyDesktop for finished wiki. And sometimes directly from Bob to
students of mine via on-line versions. All this one step from Bob, one
button press when you understand it.
Ste Wilson
2018-09-08 15:42:46 UTC
I will bob!
And twboberate!

Just had a hectic summer... I did twederate previously.

I think they are most awesome things.
2018-09-07 19:08:54 UTC
Request.

I personally would find it very helpful if the console, on opening,
reported ...

-- The version of Bob
-- The version of TW being used

Yes, I know I can go look in the plugin but basically in Bob you keep most
eye on the console.