[tw] [TW5] Static Website Generation
James Anderson
2015-04-23 21:23:22 UTC
I've posted on here and on the tiddlywikidev side a few times with
questions regarding this before, This time is more of a show and tell as
i've had some time to clean up some of the code I was using to export
static sites with tiddlywiki.

I have renamed the repo I was using and split it in two separate
plugins: https://github.com/welford/twstaticblog/ I have also written a
new post about how I am exporting using these plugins here:
http://phasersonkill.com/2015/4/24/creating-a-static-webpage-using-tiddlywiki.html

In short: the helper plugin
(https://github.com/welford/twstaticblog/tree/master/helper) resides within
my tiddlwiki and lets me customise which posts to output,which tags to add
to the sitemap, which ones to hide etc etc Also to some degree it lets me
alter the look of the webpage.

The export (https://github.com/welford/twstaticblog/tree/master/export)
plugin gets invoked when exporting and contains all the required templates
and viewtemplate changes to make the static site look how you want it to.

www.phasersonkill.com is a working sample of an exported blog, I have also
uploaded a simpler example
here http://welford.github.io/static-sample/example.html which exports
to http://welford.github.io/static-sample/blog/index.html

Finally I have updated some of my plugins to work with the static export
feature https://github.com/welford/twspimg lets me display partial images
as the background-image of a span element, and
https://github.com/welford/twyt lets me embed yt videos and created links
to specific times within the video. http://welford.github.io/ has a few
examples and other plugins also!

Thanks for reading!

James
Suzanne McHale
2015-04-25 00:08:48 UTC
Couple of questions (I'm interested in static site generation for my TW
too, but am not a programmer!) - how did you make the tag buttons clickable
without needing Javascript (that I can see)? Also replace the spaces in TW
urls with dashes - can this be done automatically?
James Anderson
2015-04-25 06:45:49 UTC
The tags are just buttons wrapped in <a> elements, which is all handled
automatically by the static exporter.

There are some programmer hooks in the static exporter which let me change
the links at run time. I run over all the links and remove any spaces (and
some other characters( when i generate the site.If you are not a
programmmer this might not mean much to you, but in
https://github.com/welford/twstaticblog/tree/master/export getexportlink,js
and getexportpath,js do this work.

James
2015-04-25 07:53:56 UTC
Hi James

Great to see how far you've got, dullroar.com looks very good to me.

Your post reminded me that it is perhaps time that we tried to fold decent
static site generation support into the core. I've created a ticket here:

https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/issues/1676

Best wishes

Jeremy.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/a5b20842-2166-4d31-a204-2d5ae2b0bb8b%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/a5b20842-2166-4d31-a204-2d5ae2b0bb8b%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
mailto:***@gmail.com
James Anderson
2015-04-25 08:12:39 UTC
Hi James
It looks like dullroar is no longer using TW to generate the site
http://dullroar.com/new-look.html
Yes, I saw that; it's still worth reviewing the work that Jim did, I think.

Best wishes

Jeremy
Florian Cauvin
2015-04-27 14:51:37 UTC
Hello,
I'm interested in using TiddlyWiki for creating a small static personal
website and I'm very impressed by the work that James Anderson is showing
here.
I will try to also make my site, generating it from TiddlyWiki running on
Node.js.

Jame has obvisouly done a lot of customization and even coded his own
plugins.
Personally, I aim for something far simpler.
I will report my progess in this forum (if there's no objection for me
doing so)

Best Regards,
Florian
Hi James
James Anderson
David Gifford
2016-07-04 18:22:03 UTC
Okay, so

1) I found the phasersonkill instructions (a dead link, but I went to the
general site and found the instructions there.
2) Figured out how to download the tiddlers from Github and get them into a
standalone TW5, and played with it
3) Realized I needed to do this in node.js because it doesn't work from a
standalone TW5 file
4) Downloaded node.js and got a TW running
5) Imported the tiddlers from the standalone to the node.js version

After all that, I am still stuck because I have no idea how to export the
tiddlers to statics. There is one cryptic reference to "run the export
batch file" in the instructions, but how do I do that?

Dave
James Anderson
2016-07-04 19:21:57 UTC
The link died because i found a bug in my export code which caused the
creation date of the article to change depending on the exporting computers
timezone:

http://phasersonkill.com/2015/04/23/creating-a-static-webpage-using-tiddlywiki.html

My export batch file looks like this:

REM @echo off

echo Exporting Blog...

echo exporting general posts======================
call tiddlywiki .\tw --load .\notes.hta --output .\blog --build posts

echo exporting framework posts====================
call tiddlywiki .\tw --load .\notes.hta --output .\blog --build framework

echo exporting framework TAG posts================
call tiddlywiki .\tw --load .\notes.hta --output .\blog --build tag

echo exporting index posts========================
call tiddlywiki .\tw --load .\notes.hta --output .\blog --build index

echo exporting CSS================================
call tiddlywiki .\tw --load .\notes.hta --output .\blog --build css

pause

I hope this helps. I will be updating my local TW to the latest version
soon and seeing how well my export plugins have held up. so i should be
around if you have any more questions.

Regards,

James
David Gifford
2016-07-04 19:29:33 UTC
Hi James

Thanks for responding. My actual question is, what do I do to export the
tiddlers? I am a novice at all this. What button do I push?

Dave
James Anderson
2016-07-04 19:46:37 UTC
Post by David Gifford
3) Realized I needed to do this in node.js because it doesn't work from a
standalone TW5 file

It works from a standalone file, or rather I have my blog and other notes
in a single page TW. it's called notes.hta (you can see this in the batch
file, it could be notes.html or whatever your TW is called). You will need
the nodejs TW just for the conversion. With both those present the batch
handles all the creation for you.

My workflow is :

1. Write a tiddler and tag it "blog"
2. Run the batch file.

and that's it, so it's pretty simple when it is set up but the set up is
not friendly for newcomers.

Will be around tomorrow or maybe the day after if you need more help.

James
David Gifford
2016-07-04 19:53:54 UTC
How does on "run a batch file"?
Post by James Anderson
[...]
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/e5f720da-f707-448b-b820-b49c6612efbb%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/e5f720da-f707-448b-b820-b49c6612efbb%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
David Gifford
Christian Reformed World Missions, Mexico City
David Gifford
2016-07-04 20:07:54 UTC
ahhhhh never mind, I figured it out...put my file in the folder I
downloaded, change example.html to my filename in the .bat file, and
doubleclick the .bat file to run it.

Sorry for my ignorance, a lot of this is new to me...

Thank you very much, both for your help and for this great tool!
Dave
Post by David Gifford
How does on "run a batch file"?
David Gifford
2016-07-04 21:16:47 UTC
Ok, James, here is an experimental site based on your website generator

http://giffmex.org/moomoo/

One last question: why does the CSS only apply to the framework and not to
the individual posts? What might I have done wrong?

Dave
Post by David Gifford
ahhhhh never mind, I figured it out...put my file in the folder I
downloaded, change example.html to my filename in the .bat file, and
doubleclick the .bat file to run it.
Sorry for my ignorance, a lot of this is new to me...
Thank you very much, both for your help and for this great tool!
Dave
Post by David Gifford
How does on "run a batch file"?
2016-07-05 21:53:26 UTC
all

this whole thing is vital

this whole thing is a BLACK ART.

its about as transparent as a FOG in a MIST.

Suzanne McHale
2016-07-06 00:54:57 UTC
Agreed - using Node.js to generate static files via the command line is NOT
beginner-friendly; I found it difficult to understand at first, and was
only able to do it after a few weeks of frustration.
James Anderson
2016-07-06 06:43:16 UTC
yeah, it's not beginner friendly. I'll update my post to mention NodeJS and
the contents of the batch file. I think my plugin at least helps simplify
some of the conversion, though you do still need a working knowledge of TW
and batch files.

David, would you mind sharing your source TW file?

James
Post by Suzanne McHale
Agreed - using Node.js to generate static files via the command line is
NOT beginner-friendly; I found it difficult to understand at first, and was
only able to do it after a few weeks of frustration (see earlier
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tiddlywiki/yM2y92NJEZQ/W4WsFZcxMT4J>
posts
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tiddlywiki/yM2y92NJEZQ/rHKrQ1U-aWcJ>).
sini-Kit
2016-07-06 10:47:06 UTC
Hi! here is my blog made on static tw5 http://heeg.ru/ tw5 page is here
http://heeg.ru/heeg.html

to generate static pages I made .bat file

tiddlywiki --verbose --load heeg.html --rendertiddlers [!is[system]![index
]] $:/core/templates/static.tiddler.html ./static text/plain --rendertiddler
$:/_sitemap static/sitemap.xml text/vnd.tiddlywiki --rendertiddler $:/theeg.template.css
static/static.css text/vnd.tiddlywiki --rendertiddler $:/_aa.giff/
StyleSheetAnimate static/animate.css text/vnd.tiddlywiki --rendertiddler $:
/boot/Yandex_Metrika_Counter.js static/Yandex_Metrika_Counter.js text/plain
--rendertiddler $:/boot/bootprefix1.js static/heeg.js text/plain --setfield
[[$:/HistoryList]] current-tiddler $:/_index text/vnd.tiddlywiki --output ./temp
--rendertiddlers [[index]] $:/core/templates/static.tiddler.html ./static
text/plain .html "noclean" && ^
xcopy images output\static\images /s /e /C /Y /d /i && ^
xcopy fonts output\static\fonts /s /e /C /Y /d /i && ^
copy heeg.html output\static\ && ^
copy .\temp\static\index.html output\static\ && ^
copy .htaccess output\static\ && ^
copy favicon.ico output\static\

so I generate all site with pictures, sitemap, js and css files.
David Gifford

David Gifford
2016-07-06 12:20:03 UTC
Haha, in reading your .bat file contents, it looks like you used a prefix I
have on some of my old system TWs ($:/_aa.giff/) and applied it to your
StyleSheetAnimate tiddler. Wasn't expecting to see "giff" anywhere in there!

Dave Gifford
2016-07-06 15:42:36 UTC
May I ask, what is actually the point with a "static site" instead of a
regular TW with just a few disabled features (like "editing")?

2016-07-06 15:51:50 UTC
Hi Mat
May I ask, what is actually the point with a "static site" instead of a regular TW with just a few disabled features (like "editing”)?
That’s a good question, and there’s several good answers:

* A static site is usually much, much, much quicker to load
* A static site is trivial to crawl for a search engine
* A static site works on every browser, even ones that don’t support JavaScript

There’s a couple more subtle advantages, too:

* A static site is much easier to integrate with third party libraries/widgets
* Pages from a static site are properly linkable, without using the URL #hash

Best wishes

Jeremy.
David Gifford
2016-07-06 17:27:58 UTC
Yes, for me the loading time is important, at least for my Spanish
materials. The others are a bonus.

Dave
Hi Mat
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/43de52a9-89e9-44e8-ab3c-ae05b75c0157%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/43de52a9-89e9-44e8-ab3c-ae05b75c0157%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/86A9469F-4E60-4D47-BCE3-C867282C9555%40gmail.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/86A9469F-4E60-4D47-BCE3-C867282C9555%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
2016-07-07 07:42:43 UTC
Jeremy, thanks for clarification.

Follow up question, to everyone, I guess;

In what way is the "export as HTML" feature not enough for people? Or, I
should put it like this; In the github discussion
<https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/issues/1676>, on the matter of
JavaScript for static sites, Jeremy writes he'd favour "following the
principles of progressive enhancement".

Would it not make sense to apply "progressive enhancement" overall by
starting with the existing "export as HTML" feature and adding the smallest
number of features needed to make it fully usable for SSG? Or are there
fundamental limitations with this - and this is perhaps why James' phasersonkill
<http://phasersonkill.com/2015/04/23/creating-a-static-webpage-using-tiddlywiki.html>variant
requires nodejs-TW (or why is that)?

David Gifford
2016-07-07 13:14:35 UTC
Hi Mat,

You asked, "In what way is the "export as HTML" feature not enough for
people?"

1) With "export as HTML" I have to export each tiddler individually. With
James' way I can do all kinds of work on numerous tiddlers throughout the
day and do one operation to update the site at the end of the day.

2) James' way also exports an updated tags page, an updated A-Z page, and
an updated 'Recent' page. Exporting as HTML is just the tiddler, nothing
more.

I can't answer the other questions you have, so I will defer to those who
can.

Dave
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/5ec53b53-977c-4e5b-a978-ce19c53a8a66%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/5ec53b53-977c-4e5b-a978-ce19c53a8a66%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
2016-07-07 16:44:17 UTC
James Anderson
2016-07-07 17:07:07 UTC
http://phasersonkill.com/tags.html
http://phasersonkill.com/a-z.html
http://phasersonkill.com/archived-articles.html
http://phasersonkill.com/updated-articles.html

my plugin/exporter generates these.
Post by James Anderson
David,
note that you can actually export multiple tiddlers including a filtered
set of tiddlers via the Advanced Search -> Filter. Once you enter
something into the search field, there's a (barely visible) export button
to export the result. (IMO this feature is not located in a good place and
it needs better control, e.g export river: I've also posted on related
matters <https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/issues/1687> on github.)
Post by David Gifford
2) James' way also exports an updated tags page, an updated A-Z page, and
an updated 'Recent' page. Exporting as HTML is just the tiddler, nothing
more.
Yes, that makes sense for a page. If there's a ToC, is this also
updated/exported?
Pak Ruengrot
2016-07-09 18:00:56 UTC
Hi James,

Thanks for your blog generation tool. I downloaded it from your github and
it worked quite well, although with some bugs (I think)

1. In this commit
<https://github.com/welford/twstaticblog/commit/e0da79ba19d7a2a72afc31ec06e79b8b5040b5b0> where
you did a lot of renaming. Among them is the change from staticbanner to
blog-banner. But in helper/template.tag.html.tid
<https://github.com/welford/twstaticblog/blob/4791a9b3a7af361e6482866e6a04b39a72071885/helper/template.tag.html.tid>
you are still using staticbanner, compared to other templates .tid
files where you use blog-banner. This causes a banner in an individual tag
page to disappear, as no such tiddler exists in the plugin folder.
2. In export/getexportlink.js
<https://github.com/welford/twstaticblog/blob/4791a9b3a7af361e6482866e6a04b39a72071885/export/getexportlink.js>,
a path to an individual post , is set to yyyy/mm/dd/post.html. However, if
in post I link to a local file via [ext[file|file.pdf]], then when rendered
this link is changed to yyyy/mm/dd/file.pdf. This link doesn't work
(when viwed as a single page) as file.pdf is in the root of the blog
folder. This behaviour doesn't happen to [img[pic.jpg]] though even though
pic.jpg is in the root of the blog folder

Do you know how to fix the above issues?

Thanks,
Pak
Post by James Anderson
http://phasersonkill.com/tags.html
http://phasersonkill.com/a-z.html
http://phasersonkill.com/archived-articles.html
http://phasersonkill.com/updated-articles.html
My plugin/exporter generates* these.
*generates is the wrong word, by these tiddlers exist in my plugin and my
exporter picks them up and puts them in the correct place.
James Anderson
2016-07-09 18:32:45 UTC
1. Fixed :
https://github.com/welford/twstaticblog/commit/c2ac0ff9458a6b1964551d37b5450b122f3be585

I didn't notice as a copy
of $:/plugins/welford/twstaticblog/helper/staticbanner was still in my TW

2. probably requires a change to getexportlink.js i'm about 1 year out of
touch with this code, maybe Jeremy or someone could give me a hint?

Thanks,
James
James Anderson
2016-07-09 18:42:41 UTC
probably before the condition after line 68 of getexportlink.js we could
detect if it was a type you were likely to place at the root (e.g. a pdf
file) and then not construct the path as below:

finalLink = path_to_root + "data/";

James
Pak Ruengrot
2016-07-10 01:30:14 UTC
Hi James,

Thanks for the fix. I actually fixed 1. as you said myself before I posted
the above as it was an easy fix.

For 2 I was thinking similarly to what you suggested above but I didn't
know a code to detect if a link is to .pdf file (or another local). In fact
I know very little about javascript.

Pak
2016-07-07 13:33:47 UTC

-- <br class="">
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "TiddlyWiki" group.<br class="">
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to <a href="mailto:tiddlywiki+***@googlegroups.com" class="">tiddlywiki+***@googlegroups.com</a>.<br class="">
To view this discussion on the web visit <a href="https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/5ec53b53-977c-4e5b-a978-ce19c53a8a66%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&amp;utm_source=footer" class="">https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/5ec53b53-977c-4e5b-a978-ce19c53a8a66%40googlegroups.com</a>.<br class="">

-- <br />
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups &quot;TiddlyWiki&quot; group.<br />
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to <a href="mailto:tiddlywiki+***@googlegroups.com">tiddlywiki+***@googlegroups.com</a>.<br />
To view this discussion on the web visit <a href="https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/0033B0A7-BCC2-47D4-9676-77ED1E9111C1%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer">https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/0033B0A7-BCC2-47D4-9676-77ED1E9111C1%40gmail.com</a>.<br />
sini-Kit
2016-07-07 06:08:37 UTC
Yes. The base of my site is your
http://giffmex.org/experiments/obadiah.html#Table%20of%20contents and all
my sites have your prefix http://old.novye-podarki.ru/heeg.html :)
David Gifford
2016-07-06 12:14:39 UTC
Hi James

Thank you for your offer to help me with this.

My file is http://giffmex.org/experiments/websitetest.html

Dave
David Gifford
2016-07-09 17:52:02 UTC
Hi James

I figured it out!

To get things to link back and forth correctly online, I was putting all of
the files into one folder. It didn't work right otherwise.

But this meant that I needed to change /../../../static.css to static.css

Here is a link to my practice area. I also managed to figure out how to do
a one tiddler index.html, and change some of the CSS for the banner.

everything is in very rough shape still.

Thanks again for this wonderful tool! Took a while to get the hang of it,
but it is coming together.

Dave
James Anderson
2016-07-05 22:37:28 UTC
Will try to take a look at this tomorrow, probably an issue with your
templates
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/CANE%3DBFLbnq-%2Bjudx4CE6vQ8ESrouaq74Oe5SM8tfW7FVk2t6WQ%40mail.gmail.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/CANE%3DBFLbnq-%2Bjudx4CE6vQ8ESrouaq74Oe5SM8tfW7FVk2t6WQ%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
David Gifford
2016-07-10 02:43:49 UTC
Here is a link to the final version of the Spanish website I am putting
together with James Anderson's static site generator.

It uses four different TW5 standalone files to generate statics for the
four different sections of the website. But the banner links coordinate
between each other so it feels like one site.

Dave
David Gifford
2016-07-22 22:12:04 UTC
Hi James and anyone else listening in,

Here is a new question. Hopefully the last - I made good progress today.

Here is the question:

$:/plugins/welford/staticlinks/helper/vt.tagpage

creates pages for each tag, and each page displays the posts tagged with
the current tag. It displays them as a timeline, with the most recent posts
at the top.

I would like to alter it so that it displays an alphabetical list of the
tiddlers so tagged. But try though I might, I can't figure it out.

Here is a link to the tiddler on github:
https://github.com/welford/twstaticblog/blob/master/helper/vt.tagpage.tid

Thanks in advance,

Dave