[tw] TW5 as a better option than ePub.
John Newell
2016-03-06 06:57:19 UTC
(*First time Group Poster, 7 years TW user and fan.*)

*THE SHORT VERSION *:
I need assistance in creating a TW5 file that is an alternative to eBook
format - that is

- Non-editable by the reader
- Without the sidebar ( as navigation is / will be - via tags & links in
each tiddler (chapter) and "close tiddler button" at the base of the long
pages.)
- and no access to backend

If anyone can assist we'd be very grateful - and as I have had trouble
finding anything online that espouses the greatness of TW5 as a likely
BETTER alternative to eBooks in other formats - would love to promote the
socks off tiddlywiki's benefits. I have over 400K as social followers - the
biggest following a few have caught up with me recently on twitter
@magillamax

*Background to this request :*

My wife and I have just finished a very large tome (7MB) called "Spiritual
Quest" ("SQ") which we have recently issued to 40+ people to review before
taking it live.
Created as an EPUB - it amazed me how many had trouble downloading it -
then opening in an ePub reader - usually iBooks.
After getting frustrated at their ineptness - I looked at myself and
figured that "I" must make the book more accessible.

I quickly created a TW5 version - uploaded to dropbox - and emailed it to
22 ppl with a direct link to the TW5 within dropbox.
Most had dropbox and opened it immediately _ voilà !!
<https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwjb-feOuKvLAhWIipQKHTVwCMkQFggcMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wiktionary.org%2Fwiki%2Fvoil%25C3%25A0&usg=AFQjCNEc8CG-LJDPv1Eb4759IKMMuTiUcw&sig2=XPXOkuVw4hZ6XDDe5t-zlg>
I also provided to each a quick guide to Adding the SQ Tiddlywiki file to
"Reading list"
In TW5 it renders (significantly) better, is more efficient in use of
space, cleaner, easier to edit, changing Settings to Airplane Mode and then
opening up perfectly in Safari - all good ---
( and TW5 is always a "snack" to edit and add to )

thanks in advance - and I'll keep future comm's less wordy...... JN

*Tiddlywiki has revolutionized my management of client information,
registrations, content, invoices etc ( especially with the advent of {{ }}
transclusions)I have also used it for VERY effective management and
tracking a recent (narrative) book.I love what TW5 can do, and use it
daily. However I am very cautious going into the deeper coding.*
Ton Gerner
2016-03-06 08:54:48 UTC
Hi John,
Post by John Newell
(*First time Group Poster, 7 years TW user and fan.*)
I need assistance in creating a TW5 file that is an alternative to eBook
format - that is
- Non-editable by the reader
- Without the sidebar ( as navigation is / will be - via tags & links
in each tiddler (chapter) and "close tiddler button" at the base of the
long pages.)
- and no access to backend
Have a look at http://tw5readonly.tiddlyspot.com/
Cheers,

Ton
John Newell
2016-03-06 09:04:40 UTC
Excellent - looks like that can get the job done - hides all that I want
"hidden"
I shall work with that and see how this pans out ......

There were a couple of other issues - such as code for the Close Tiddler
button - but got help the most primo of sources !
anything else needed - I will identify and add to this post
otherwise - all good and will post link to the TW5 ebook ( seriously -
SOOOOO much better than epub ! )

hugely appreciated.
JN
Post by Ton Gerner
Hi John,
John Newell
2016-03-06 11:37:03 UTC
Post by Ton Gerner
Hi John,
Post by John Newell
(*First time Group Poster, 7 years TW user and fan.*)
I need assistance in creating a TW5 file that is an alternative to eBook
format - that is
- Non-editable by the reader
- Without the sidebar ( as navigation is / will be - via tags & links
in each tiddler (chapter) and "close tiddler button" at the base of the
long pages.)
- and no access to backend
Have a look at http://tw5readonly.tiddlyspot.com/
Cheers,
Ton
Hi Ton !!
I have read through the basics and shall attempt to get that in place
tomorrow night when I have a kid-less house. I want to deliver a "white"
theme - the current TW5 standard works fine - so, I guess it's best to just
map the settings for both then apply the former. If I have any questions -
can I shoot them back to you ?

with many thanks - John Newell ( Yarra Valley, Australia )
Ton Gerner
2016-03-06 12:40:33 UTC
Post by Ton Gerner
Hi John,
If I have any questions - can I shoot them back to you ?
Sure.
Cheers,

Ton
John Newell
2016-03-11 02:01:31 UTC
HI Ton,

*( I have finally found the time needed to attend to the EBOOK (readonly)
version of a tiddlywiki file.)*

Following your instructions has almost netted the initial results needed. I
appear to be doing a couple of things incorrectly, so, I seek some guidance

- is the addition on the READONLY theme *essential* in ( " Making TW5
read-only can be done with the 'ReadOnly' theme ...." ) or can the plugin
and following its direction complete the task? ) if essential - is it to be
added before attending to the plugin changes? or after ? I am happy with
Vanilla Theme for ebook.

- All SETTINGS changes and removal of icon display works as explained in
your Information tiddler , however :
- I can't locate where or how to delete/disable/secrete the
rectangular search bar in the sidebar
- How do I remove the sidebar entirely?
- Does this cause problems in resurrecting the save button?
- For the READER it's not needed as set tiddlers open
automatically and all navigation in the eBook is managed by links on every
tiddler/chapter :>>- ( prev chapter / next chapter / close / to top of page
/ to Table of Contents etc ))
- If the Save button and sidebar must remain - can it appear
at the "footer" - which is fine on mobile.
- I have not been able to reprise the save button to finish the
process of making the TW readonly. ( need help - if easier i can provide my
notes in setup and you'd likely find where I fouled up )
- Finally - the timestamp under Tiddler Primary Name/ Heading is
not needed, how can I effect its removal?

I hope this is not too much of an imposition. I truly appreciate
any help I can get.
- cheers John
Post by Ton Gerner
Hi John,
Ton Gerner
2016-03-11 13:54:59 UTC
Hi John,
Post by John Newell
- All SETTINGS changes and removal of icon display works as explained
- I can't locate where or how to delete/disable/secrete the
rectangular search bar in the sidebar
There is no setting for 'hiding' the search bar. Although it is possible
to hide it (e.g. with CSS), it will be difficult to return from 'readonly'
to normal mode (in case you want to change something). As it is done now
you can use (advanced) search to get to the 'publish' tiddler where all
settings are.
But you can hide the sidebar by clicking the sidebar button to hide it and
then save this situation with the save button in the 'publish' tiddler.
NOTE: The save button in the 'publish' tiddler is always visible although
the normal save button in the sidebar is hidden.
Post by John Newell
- How do I remove the sidebar entirely?
Hide it, see above.
- Does this cause problems in resurrecting the save button?
No, see above (NOTE)
- For the READER it's not needed as set tiddlers open automatically
and all navigation in the eBook is managed by links on every
tiddler/chapter :>>- ( prev chapter / next chapter / close / to top of page
/ to Table of Contents etc ))
- If the Save button and sidebar must remain - can it appear
at the "footer" - which is fine on mobile.
No need for it, see above.
- I *have *been able to reprise the save button ( when opening ....
.html/#$:/plugins/tongerner/ro/publish - however the checkboxes for
3A ( side bar open/ fold ) and 3b ( search icon ) aren't there and I
haven't been able to find / resurrect them.
I hadn't thought of adding the 'publish' tiddler to the url to get to the
'publish' tiddler (anyhow that does not work for me with the combination
Fitefox/Linux Mint) . I use the advanced search for it.
Strange the checkboxes for 3A and 3B are gone. I have never seen that and
don't know what happens.
If you can provide the wiki, I can have a look at it.
Post by John Newell
- to finish the process of making the TW readonly. ( need help - if
easier i can provide my notes in setup and you'd likely find where I fouled
up )
- Finally - there's no need for the timestamp under Tiddler
Primary Name/ Heading, how can I effect its removal?
You can hide it with
.tc-subtitle {display:none;}

in a tiddler tagged with $:/tags/Stylesheet
Post by John Newell
- I hope this is not too much of an imposition. I truly appreciate any
help I can get.
I will try to help.
Cheers,

Ton
John Newell
2016-03-11 14:58:32 UTC
Thanks for the your teply and info.
Initial thoughts are to retain the search bar - which is a feature
generally devoid in ePubs.
And on mobile devices it doesn't (can't) remain at the side anyway.

The idea of simply closing the sidebar and saving it seems logical and
effective (I missed that obvious one! Thanks )

Like your idea for searching up the publish file, too.

I'm backing up en-route to completion, and I can effect future changes on a
clean TW & then fold thru the settings changesI'd edit the last existing
backup.

.tc-subtitle {display:none;}

I think I used that code for time stamp / subtitle - c/- Eric Shulman - it
didn't take effect (thought it may have been old vers. TW code -) but will
try again.

I appreciate your help - and that of JeremyRuston who has kindly added some
additional perspectives.

I would feel honoured to provide the full book to you, when ready, for any
opinions or tidy ups - again: hugely thankful !!

I expect another 5 days or so to complete as there's more artwork due for
attention.

All the best
john
Post by Ton Gerner
Hi John,
Post by John Newell
- I hope this is not too much of an imposition. I truly appreciate
any help I can get.
I will try to help.
Cheers,
Ton
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/134cedbf-b31c-4b12-9697-e5d3c6743a75%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/134cedbf-b31c-4b12-9697-e5d3c6743a75%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
John Newell
Social As Pty Ltd
John Newell
2016-03-14 09:04:41 UTC
Hi Ton

All coming together nicely, I've effected the removal of the time stamp
.... THANK YOU

You can hide it with
.tc-subtitle {display:none;}
in a tiddler tagged with $:/tags/Stylesheet

*created new tiddler named "timestamp" tagged *$:/tags/Stylesheet ( viola )

as soon as I have the "final" copy ready - I'll contact you - cheers
Post by Ton Gerner
Hi John,
John Newell
2016-03-21 01:36:33 UTC
Hi there - I have almost completed the TW5 version of my eBook - just
tidying up loose ends, ready to produce it if I can solve this navigation
dilemma - no sidebar ( which is the preference ) so navigation is within
pages as both a TOC and on individual pages to "similar" and "home" tag
links. What coding (template) can I use with the "SELECT WIDGET" so that
listed item are LINKS to tiddlers?

any help would be fantastic.
cheers
John
Post by John Newell
Hi Ton
All coming together nicely, I've effected the removal of the time stamp
.... THANK YOU
You can hide it with
.tc-subtitle {display:none;}
in a tiddler tagged with $:/tags/Stylesheet
*created new tiddler named "timestamp" tagged *$:/tags/Stylesheet ( viola )
as soon as I have the "final" copy ready - I'll contact you - cheers
Post by Ton Gerner
Hi John,
2016-06-17 06:24:36 UTC
Hi John, you mentioned in another thread that your book is about to be
released.

Could I, on behalf o f the community, ask you to share your final
TW-as-eBook setup (without content) ? It sounds like a spot-on thing as an
edition and I'm sure it would be very appealing to a lot of people -
including people who would not otherwise begin using TW.

Thank you!

John Newell
2016-06-17 07:12:42 UTC
John Newell
2016-06-17 07:14:26 UTC
Missed a bit .....

My objective is to have thousands of reader using tiddlywiki - with ease ( though not editing it ) . Or at least - not in the way you'd imagine.

Cheers
JN

John Newell
MAGILLA ENTERPRISES
0419992172
2016-06-17 11:14:54 UTC
Ciao John Newell

I am very much in harmony with the idea of wide USAGE without needing full
blown editing.

By way of background it seems to me that there is a huge userbase for TW
that never appears here and is hard to document because (by design) TW does
not track users.

The MASS effect of TW's that are mainly read is something of interest to
me. "Semi-editing" modes are also interesting. Like, for instance, to
create versions with facility to ONLY add notes & bookmarks.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/1edb9e19-1087-42f7-bf05-749d1e7ec83b%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/1edb9e19-1087-42f7-bf05-749d1e7ec83b%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
John Newell
2016-06-17 15:08:11 UTC
hi there

TOTALLY agree
▶ I've introduced hundreds to TW - and if each of us TW aficionados has
been doing the same - then there's a big userbase out there -
but the increased complexity confuses many,.... ( like it's built for nerds
and not Joe Average )

Following the lead of Ghost.org and their clean and simple approach to
pages/posts and markup /// or pen.io if you like
I have everyone keeping it simple and safe

As for eBooks, tiddlywiki is a God-sent marvel and an invigorating new
format to revel in. It flows better, DOWN a page actually is more
accommodating that 20 flicks to the right.....

Navigation via tags and buttons are seconds to produce with a bit of
forethought.

The whole process is simplified dramatically. I have created twBooks in
under an hour compared to 3-10 times longer preparing a legible ePub. Let's
not even touch PDFs.
No front and back end. No dramas following daft protocols, the likes that
PressBooks delivers.

Clean.
responsive.
Beautiful if you want it to be

It's even a website that you can take offline and still enjoy ......

Let's keep in touch,
This is only just starting to get interesting.

Cheers
John Newell
Post by John Newell
[...]
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/c6e60756-47e7-41af-bdb8-f741e1c00165%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/c6e60756-47e7-41af-bdb8-f741e1c00165%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
John Newell
Social As Pty Ltd
2016-03-06 09:03:10 UTC
A while ago I was experimenting with this idea but I didn't get too far
with it. If I can find where I put what I made I will share it.
John Newell
2016-03-06 09:15:16 UTC
If you do have something - I would be grateful to see what it is.... I
shall keep you updated - this goes live soon enough - all is written it's
now just settings and copying the content - would appreciate feedback on
how it looks ( and the content, too - if you like )
cheers
John
2016-03-06 19:33:35 UTC
Just curious. Does zooming of TW on Safari on i-devices work appropriately?

On Firefox in Android, when you attempt to zoom on a tiddler the words go
off the end of the screen. Very annoying and not how it works on the
desktop. Fortunately, it works correctly on andtidwiki.

One of the advantages of epub readers (at least on Android) is that you can
easily change font size and color and even set up night reading
environments. To use TW as a complete epub substitute, it seems like you
would need some way to easily swap themes to accommodate the user's
environment.

Mark
Post by John Newell
(*First time Group Poster, 7 years TW user and fan.*)
I need assistance in creating a TW5 file that is an alternative to eBook
format - that is
- Non-editable by the reader
- Without the sidebar ( as navigation is / will be - via tags & links
in each tiddler (chapter) and "close tiddler button" at the base of the
long pages.)
- and no access to backend
If anyone can assist we'd be very grateful - and as I have had trouble
finding anything online that espouses the greatness of TW5 as a likely
BETTER alternative to eBooks in other formats ( and provides a guide to
achieving the uneditable standalone version ) - I would love to promote the
socks off tiddlywiki's benefits. I have over 400K social followers over
various accounts- the biggest following a few have caught up with me
John Newell
2016-03-09 07:13:51 UTC
Hi Mark.
appropriately*?"

A definitive YES.
I have uploaded a brief test version of the the TW5 version of Spiritual
Quest to the cloud
find the *Tiddlywiki HTML file* here :

https://padlet-uploads.storage.googleapis.com/32228399/e1d58c96f4c59316913ced53cddce460db9891f5/fe1ac6529f26949ac6be33ee187fe8c0.html

- open it on iphone USING Safari and see it live .

- More importantly - while open - BOOKMARK IT - the switch iphone
SETTINGS to Airplane Mode ( it saves the file automatically to your phone
now )

- and while still offline - close the tab - then open the Bookmark you
just created = perfect rendition

and it saves everything as it's just the ONE HTML that was downloaded
so, as long as images are imported and save as tiddlers, its all there. -
neat and clean

example screen grabs

<goog_992976392>

-

-

( will obviously appear oversized on desk/lap -top but perfect on iphone (
BETTER ) than my PressBook ePub version
Major differences :

- Scroll down each page / chapter / tiddler - rather than thumb or tap
sideways through pages

- Which has the advantage of faster back-tracking within same chapter
- But requires END OF TIDDLEr ( CLOSE TIDDLER button to be handy
THERE rather than scrolling back to the top )
- Feels more concise as this format of one chapter to one (long) page
means 50 pages rather than 1100 !!!!! ( in full edition of ebook )
- THERE IS FAR LESS scrolling ( due to fewer page turns ) and FEELS
more cohesive

- In TW5. Navigation has to be changed - I am adding a TOC tiddler +
top and bottom tab type links
- There is NO bookmarking tab as in ePUBs top right of page

There's more but you get the gist of it in the links provided

I'll be open - I do need help as I am under the pump and what I can offer
to you or anyone else who can help me get the" simple-for-you-guys but
tough-for-me" edits done - attribution in the eBook if you like - and
contribution to the TW fund.

Unsure what the protocol in this group is for sharing info - so i can be
found on twitter @magillamax

cheers
John
John Newell
2016-03-09 08:48:50 UTC
( links below as well )
Hi Mark.
appropriately*?"
A definitive NO NEED TO !!
*TW5 renders perfectly on iphone Safari !*
I have uploaded a brief test version of the the TW5 version of Spiritual
Quest to the cloud
https://padlet-uploads.storage.googleapis.com/32228399/e1d58c96f4c59316913ced53cddce460db9891f5/fe1ac6529f26949ac6be33ee187fe8c0.html
- open it on iphone USING Safari and see it live .
- More importantly - while open - BOOKMARK IT - then switch iphone
SETTINGS to Airplane Mode ( it saves the file automatically to your phone
now )
- and while still offline - close the tab - then open the Bookmark you
just created = perfect rendition (offline)
and it saves everything as it's just the ONE HTML that was downloaded
so, as long as images are imported and save as tiddlers, its all there. -
neat and clean
example screen grabs
<http://goog_992976392>
-
https://padlet-uploads.storage.googleapis.com/32228399/aac1871a48cebaf77c4f962481dfdce333f8bd9b/69525ccd4d0bbcb5ccc8fd79d4ce6b5d.jpg
-
https://padlet-uploads.storage.googleapis.com/32228399/5deffcb9440ff3a6d2c2f74edb7ee9b354ced548/d22db914557d90d3dc219efe6a57e3c2.jpg
( will obviously appear oversized on desk/lap -top but perfect on iphone (
BETTER ) than my PressBook ePub version
- Scroll down each page / chapter / tiddler - rather than thumb or tap
sideways through pages
- Which has the advantage of faster back-tracking within same chapter
- But requires END OF TIDDLER ( CLOSE TIDDLER button to be handy
THERE rather than scrolling back to the top )
- Feels more concise as this format of one chapter to one (long)
page means 50 pages rather than 1100 !!!!! ( in full edition of ebook )
- THERE IS FAR LESS scrolling ( due to fewer page turns ) and FEELS
more cohesive
- In TW5. Navigation has to be changed - I am adding a TOC tiddler
+ top and bottom tab type links
- There is NO bookmarking tab as in ePUBs top right of page
There's more but you get the gist of it in the links provided
I'll be open - I do need help and I am happy to provide attribution in the
eBook if you like - and contribution to the TW fund.
My objectives :

- install Readonly Theme and Remove all visibility of *sidebar *icons,
tabs, etc - everything ( checking out / testing - not confident yet )
- remove tiddler date stamping ( *unsure of how to * )
- remove tiddler function icons ( OK with this )
- add Table of Contents Tiddler ( OK )
- add extra navigation buttons ( OK )
- add "close Tiddler" button ( OK )
- add "Back to Top" button - due to LONG pages ( thinking I just name
it as such and have a "same tiddler" link for reloading -> *back to top*
! ( OK )
- wish list would be a bookmark tab akin to ePub function - not needed,
maybe later.
John Newell
2016-03-11 11:06:04 UTC
Hi Mark ( and others )
I need to clarify what I have written below as it's not quite accurate and
I need to clarify WHERE and HOW exactly tiddlywiki renders so crisply
I had a few friends "push back" on my enthusiasm regarding the less than
perfect delivery of tiddlywiki on OLDER iphones, so I made the adjustment
to delivery using the power of 2 alternative hosts that render documents
and HTML properly.

When the TW file is hosted and shared via *padlet.com* (GoogleAPI cloud)
there a viewer in play that manipulates the HTML file - and so does
*Dropbox*
An ( very incomplete ) example that I current re-creating can be found
here -
https://padlet-uploads.storage.googleapis.com/32228399/d4a0eb1d1751fae680bd55ccde9abaa5e86e929a/220aafd2f907766559569637d5a2db4b.html
which is padlet hosted ( which I suggest checking directly then saving
locally iphone Offline Reading facility - that few know - but guess that
most of you luminaries have it as 2nd nature. ( just in case - I've posted
this up quickly - http://offlinereading.pen.io/ ) no logins required..
Reading offline is perfect and very handy for BOOKS - which is my current
obsession. Thanks to Ton Gerner I have almost nutted out the TW eBOOK
"Readonly" version and will upload for inspection once complete ... keep in
context it may be a little left field for some one you - but it's about the
ability to present cleanly and quickly. Seriously - you can write / copy up
a book into TW - convert to readonly ( I aint fast at that yet ) then
"publish via padlet or "Public" Dropbox in minutes - oh - and finally - to
my joy - delivering via iphone / iOS allows for the use of any of the font
sets within iphones / ipads -- whichcreates a great impression....( check
iosfonts.com )
cheers all.
John Newell
2016-03-11 11:11:07 UTC
Post by John Newell
Hi Mark ( and others )
I need to clarify what I have written below as it's not quite accurate and
I need to clarify WHERE and HOW exactly tiddlywiki renders so crisply
I had a few friends "push back" on my enthusiasm regarding the less than
perfect delivery of tiddlywiki on OLDER iphones, so I made the adjustment
to delivery using the power of 2 alternative hosts that render documents
and HTML properly.
When the TW file is hosted and shared via *padlet.com <http://padlet.com>*
(GoogleAPI cloud) there is a viewer in play that manipulates the HTML file
- and so does *Dropbox*
A ( very incomplete ) example that I am currently re-creating can be found
here -
https://padlet-uploads.storage.googleapis.com/32228399/d4a0eb1d1751fae680bd55ccde9abaa5e86e929a/220aafd2f907766559569637d5a2db4b.html
which is padlet hosted ( which I suggest checking directly then saving
locally iphone Offline Reading facility - that few know - but guess that
most of you luminaries have it as 2nd nature. ( just in case - I've posted
this up quickly - http://offlinereading.pen.io/ ) no logins required..
Reading offline is perfect and very handy for (e)BOOKS - which is my
current obsession. Thanks to Ton Gerner I have almost nutted out the TW
eBOOK "Readonly" version and will upload for inspection once complete ...
keep in context it may be a little ??? for some of you - but it's about the
'Birthe C' via TiddlyWiki
2016-03-11 15:12:49 UTC
Hi John Newell,

Looking at your ControlPanel I could not see The ReadOnly Plugin. You have
some of the tiddlers but maybe miss something, as you do not have the
checkbox for the sidebar.

You use some buttons for Home, Introduction and Chapters. If you put your
buttons in a ViewTemplate you will not have to repeat your button code in
several tiddlers.

Birthe
2016-03-09 15:34:41 UTC
For comparison, is there an epub version? What viewer were you using? When
you talk about the book being presented in 1100 pages I think you're
referring to the lack of hard boundaries between chapters or segments -- so
you can kind of slide from one chapter to another without much distinction.

Mark
John Newell
2016-03-09 16:29:25 UTC
Hi Mark - yes there is a fully worked and final version in ePub format (
sorry, thought I added that , created using PressBooks .)

Yes 1116 pages ( page turns / segments if you like ) the distinction is its
easier and faster to slide UP or DOWN to any point in the chapter using TW5
vs "page turning" perhaps 10-20 times or more to find the same point
FORWARD or BACK using iBooks
Current full eTome (!) is in ePub format but that isn‘t delivered via
browser but with iPhone standard - "iBooks" which is the pick of readers.

And presentation IS better via TW5 in Safari.

On Thursday, March 10, 2016, 'Mark S.' via TiddlyWiki <
Post by John Newell
[...]
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/f1d78681-a468-4c71-ac68-a05ee8848b9f%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/f1d78681-a468-4c71-ac68-a05ee8848b9f%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
John Newell
Social As Pty Ltd
2016-03-09 16:53:48 UTC
Hi John

Besides using TiddlyWiki itself as an alternative distribution format to ePub, it is also possible to generate ePub files from TiddlyWiki.

As you may now, an ePub file is actually a ZIP file containing a fairly ordinary website with HTML, CSS and images. So, under Node.js one could use TiddlyWiki to generate the static site, and then write a batch file to zip it up and rename it.

With a bit more work, we could make the ePub export process be seamless in the browser; we can use jszip to create the zip file.

Thus, you could keep your authoring environment as TiddlyWiki while still support iBooks users who want a static ePub.

Best wishes

Jeremy.
John Newell
2016-03-23 02:18:27 UTC
Nearing completion and the Tiddlywiki eBook is looking great -
I am adding the 'X' close tiddler active chevron link at the base of long
tiddler "pages" and links to appropriate "next page" etc
but have a real need to create a similar chevron link that takes reader to
"top of tiddler"

Does this exist?
is there a tiddler link that can be created for this ?

with thanks to the community which has been so helpful so far.....
cheers John
John Newell
2016-07-04 04:31:20 UTC
Hi there - I would love to provide templates as requested - except I have
come across a recent hurdle - I can't get a reliable delivery of the final
HTML file from server to iphone (etc) = my favoured "padlet" file delivery
has suddenly gone awry - with NEW tiddlywiki uploads of the FINAL EDITION
of the SQ eBook rendering on screen as the text version = like this -------

This TiddlyWiki contains the following tiddlers:

.
►List of Reflections
$:/config/PageControlButtons/Visibility/$:/core/ui/Buttons/export-page
$:/config/ViewToolbarButtons/Visibility/$:/core/ui/Buttons/clone
$:/core
$:/core/ui/ControlPanel/Palette
$:/DefaultTiddlers
$:/favicon.ico
$:/Import
$:/isEncrypted
$:/language/Buttons/Close/Hint
$:/palettes/Vanilla
$:/SiteSubtitle
$:/SiteTitle
$:/state/Abundance-2033015763

etc

ie not like it should normally?
are there any ideas as to how to best deliver a single TW5 file to a mobile
device and have it render as it would on a laptop etc...?

Full size it works fine - but my market is mainly mobile ......
any help appreciated.

cheers JN
2016-07-04 13:49:27 UTC
Hi John
Hi there - I would love to provide templates as requested - except I have come across a recent hurdle - I can't get a reliable delivery of the final HTML file from server to iphone (etc) = my favoured "padlet" file delivery has suddenly gone awry - with NEW tiddlywiki uploads of the FINAL EDITION of the SQ eBook rendering on screen as the text version = like this -------
ie not like it should normally?
That’s the rendering that TiddlyWiki gives you when it is viewed with JavaScript disabled.

It’s not clear why that would be happening. The padlet service cannot forcibly disable JavaScript while serving the file over http(s); the only alternative I can think of is that the service is stripping out the JavaScript from the HTML file.

One way to investigate would be to compare the file you uploaded with the version that you obtain from padlet; you can compare the two files with something like http://winmerge.org/?lang=en
are there any ideas as to how to best deliver a single TW5 file to a mobile device and have it render as it would on a laptop etc...?
Full size it works fine - but my market is mainly mobile ......
any help appreciated.
Probably the best user experience would be to package the TiddlyWiki HTML file into an app with Cordova (https://cordova.apache.org). Eric Shulman and I have both done some experimentation on this in the past and it’s a pretty straightforward technical job.

Best wishes

Jeremy
2016-07-04 15:01:50 UTC
That’s the rendering that TiddlyWiki gives you when it is viewed with JavaScript disabled.

It’s not clear why that would be happening. The padlet service cannot forcibly disable JavaScript while serving the file over http(s); the only alternative I can think of is that the service is stripping out the JavaScript from the HTML file.

padlet.com provides a platfrom that makes updates and live to site changes ( within TW files shortly - more on that soon ) quickly and (usually) efficiently. The founder, Nitesh, is getting back to me soon with a fix" as he's been able to do along the growth from wallwisher to its current format ..... should be as you stated - the problem is that in uploading a 9MB file - it's stripping JUST the tiddlywiki.com URL out as the reference... ) File sizes never a problem as they handle up to 300MB + for video & audio.

I plan to send you invites to files there shortly - once the remedy is provided. For now - soon to upload READ-ONLY versions of the book to Oronjo.com.

One way to investigate would be to compare the file you uploaded with the version that you obtain from padlet; you can compare the two files with something like http://winmerge.org/?lang=en [http://winmerge.org/?lang=en]

are there any ideas as to how to best deliver a single TW5 file to a mobile device and have it render as it would on a laptop etc...?

Full size it works fine  - but my market is mainly mobile ......
any help appreciated.

Probably the best user experience would be to package the TiddlyWiki HTML file into an app with Cordova (https://cordova.apache.org [https://cordova.apache.org/]). Eric Shulman and I have both done some experimentation on this in the past and it’s a pretty straightforward technical job.

Interesting you say that as attempts to get the eBook into an App ( for ease of distribution and security from rampant free sharing ) has proven problematic - until I asked a developer "I just need and app that works like an app - except it needs ONE section as the feature - that renders a single HTML file ..... sounds like you may be working on the same approach ( ? ) I would be VERY KEEN to find out more.....

in the meantime - I should have the eBook / audio / site and distro finalised in the next few days and will send out copies - I am sure you'd have some great feedback and advice on how to better use tiddlywiki - and hopefully get some feedback on the book itself ( though it is female-focussed )

The other topic that has emerged is the use of TW5 as an online | offline | live-fed Directory site for winemaking regions around the planet, starting with 3 regions in Oz. TW has an amazing advantage in so many way when teamed up with embeds that are social and live ( like padlet )

thanks hugely for TW / your help and support......

cheers
John

Best wishes

Jeremy

Sent from Mailbird [http://www.getmailbird.com/?utm_source=Mailbird&amp;utm_medium=email&amp;utm_campaign=sent-from-mailbird]
On 4/07/2016 11:49:37 PM, Jeremy Ruston <***@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi John

On 4 Jul 2016, at 05:31, John Newell <***@gmail.com [mailto:***@gmail.com]> wrote:

[...]

---
Josiah Hincks
2016-07-04 15:31:28 UTC
no idea what you are talking about :-).

*Josiah Hincks* - ***@assays.tv
+39 392-635-5267
skype "beabonobo" - twitter "beabonobo" <http://www.twitter.com/beabonobo>
- linkedin "josiah hincks" <http://www.linkedin.com/in/assays>
www.flickr.com/assays - www.vimeo.com/assays
Post by Jeremy Ruston
> [...]
like an app - except it needs ONE section as the feature - that renders a
single HTML file ..... sounds like you may be working on the same approach
( ? ) I would be VERY KEEN to find out more.....
in the meantime - I should have the eBook / audio / site and distro
finalised in the next few days and will send out copies - I am sure you'd
have some great feedback and advice on how to better use tiddlywiki - and
hopefully get some feedback on the book itself ( though it is
female-focussed )
The other topic that has emerged is the use of TW5 as an online | offline
| live-fed Directory site for winemaking regions around the planet,
starting with 3 regions in Oz. TW has an amazing advantage in so many way
when teamed up with embeds that are social and live ( like padlet )
thanks hugely for TW / your help and support......
<http://www.getmailbird.com/?utm_source=Mailbird&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=sent-from-mailbird>
Hi John
John Newell
2016-07-04 04:36:14 UTC
In delivering a TW5 file as an ebook to iphones (etc) would it be
(best/most?) workable by getting readers to use the TWedit app and just pwd
protect the TW5 HTML file?

JN
Dominik P.
2016-11-19 11:49:32 UTC
im interested on an ereader friendly version aswell

i would like to create hover buttons that scroll up/down say 100vh, can
someone help me on this please?
Thomas Elmiger
2016-11-21 22:23:15 UTC
Hi Dominik

I do not have exactly what you want – all I can offer is a hovering button that scrolls to the top of the story. Maybe you can use this as a start?

http://tid.li/tw5/hacks.html#Link%20to%20Top%20of%20Story

Good luck!
Thomas
Dominik P.