[tw] Usable (pre-beta) version of Cardo - a new TW5 for Getting Things Done
David Someone
2016-09-23 23:09:22 UTC
Hi all!

So, about a month after my first announcement, I've now got a very usable
version of Cardo (dGSD for TW5) to share at

http://cardo.wiki

Like my older dGSD for TW Classic, and mGSD before it, you can track
projects, tasks, meetings, agenda items, people, contact info, and
conversation logs. It's even nice and responsive for tablet or large-phone
use.

There are a good few bugs yet, but nothing that would prevent you from
using it daily.

Hoping for some good feedback! Be critical, and tell me your use cases so I
can get a sense of how to make it work more practically for you.

Cheers,
David.
Thomas Elmiger
2016-09-24 07:17:31 UTC
Hi David – great stuff! Cardo looks like a very powerful app, well documented and with an appealing design. This will for sure be a reference I will keep an eye on from now on.
What I could not find on first sight is a personal list where I can see all tasks (from all projects) that are assigned to me (or to Mr. Tasker) – where I could decide what to do next. I looked out for this feature as this is the main objective of my own ToDoNow-project (see http://tid.li/tw5/hacks.html#ToDoNow and http://tid.li/tw5/plugins.html).
In general I tend to use TW5 for managing my personal stuff, while I would prefer a server-client application for managing a team. There are fascinating TW5 projects going in this direction. Do you have plans to head in this direction too, or how do you involve your team at the moment?

Kind regards and many thanks for sharing!
Thomas
Thomas Elmiger
2016-09-24 07:46:54 UTC
Update: I have found the task list(s). I think I did not realise they were there at first, because there are several lists and most of them are empty. After playing around a bit more it’s obvious. I find it difficult myself to include the right amount of demo content in my projects ;–)
David Someone
2016-09-25 00:39:54 UTC
Hi Thomas, thanks for your feedback.

The "My Dashboard" button links to whatever Tiddler is set with your
signing name in Control Panel - in otherwords, to the content of
"$:/status/UserName". This can be changed by editing the "Review" Tiddler.

I made dGSD out of personal need as a Project Manager, and although I'm not
formally in that role, I use Cardo in that capacity to manage my teams and
projects at work, and more simply (no RACI's, status updates, etc.) as a
To-Do manager for my home projects and little side things (like writing
Cardo itself!).

I will eventually explore the "bag" functions of TiddlyWiki as well as
login/logout, to make a truly multi-user based Cardo, showing only Tiddlers
from your "bag", or where you are assigned a Task, or for Projects you're a
member of. But that's future stuff...

Generally I use it for formal Project Management by:
- Using Project Tiddlers to keep track of overall status, including adding
updates in the Status list (which I can refer back to and report from)
- Managing my teams (which could be 10-20 people) through the RACI chart
(Project Team list)
- Managing individuals who report to me by using their Person Tiddlers to
track what's been delegated to them, and for contact info / conversation
logging / staff management
- Meetings get put onto the appropriate Projects, and if it's a one-topic
deal I just keep track of my notes in the body of the meeting, or if it's
more widespread I add Agenda Items
- In dGSD I kept track of who attended and what was discussed by the
checkboxes beside Agenda Items and Meeting Attendees - that functionality
isn't in Cardo yet, but will be soon.

All in all, it makes for a very useful tool for me as PM, staff manager,
etc. but it's still just me tracking everything. Making it multiuser as
described above would really help the whole team contribute.

How do you see yourself using it?

Cheers,
David.
Thomas Elmiger
2016-09-25 08:32:55 UTC
Post by David Someone
Hi Thomas, thanks for your feedback.
You are very welcome.
Post by David Someone
How do you see yourself using it?
Like Jed, I thought I might copy some of your features or get inspired for
my own personal tools and plugins – after reading your explanations I find
the GUID part most interesting at the moment. Tracking dependencies without
worrying about title changes sounds very promising.

Furthermore I hope to adopt standards defined by leading TW5 solutions
 It
would be great if users could switch from one ToDo tool to another without
hassle and keep their tiddlers. So if for example I would find your format
for tracking people is the leading format in this area I would work with
your "standard".

Cheers, Thomas
2016-09-24 07:59:00 UTC
It looks nice and polished and if it is ok with you I may try to pull out
pieces of it as part of a set of federated wikis I am using with the other
people I work with to track projects, if that is ok with you.

Now the critical part. I can't use this the way it is right now. I suspect
that my dyslexia is the main reason for it, you have stumbled onto a set of
colors and combination of lines and outlines that makes it very hard for me
to see so my problems with it may be things that aren't generally a concern
for people. It is very visually cluttered for me, the discussions display
for TWederation (http://twederation.tiddlyspot.com/) is about as cluttered
as I can make something before it gets to be too much for me and I am
probably going to make that higher contrast sometime soon. My suggestion
for this is to make something that works for you but set everything up so
that users can change the styling without too much trouble.
David Someone
2016-09-25 00:44:05 UTC
Hi Jed, please do feel free to pull out pieces! That's the beauty of open
source code! Would love to see what you do with it.

I haven't yet integrated it with the Themes and Palettes in TiddlyWiki...
I'm hardcoding my own colours (which are roughly based on the "Smoke"
palette). As per your comments and Tobias's below, I do plan to make it
very theme-friendly, but after the functionality is all ironed out.

Making lists single-column but wider would likely help too... I may put
that in as a "Theme Tweaks" checkbox or something. I would love your input
as it's developed further. You're not so uncommon a user as you may think,
and I do want it to appeal to a wide audience.

If you can give me an example of a theme that works for you, or some
description of what layouts become confusing and what makes them clearer, I
would be very interested in integrating your feedback.

Thanks,
David.
Tobias Beer
2016-09-24 09:25:50 UTC
Hi David,

Teriffic piece of work!

Some feedback, some criticism, and some questions out of curiosity:

1. Did you find yourself having to write a lot of custom js plugin code?

2. Are you planning to package everything as a CarDo plugin?
- This probably also answers the question how one later upgrades to a
newer version.
- It also answers what parts are designed to be configurable /
extensible and which parts aren't.

3. Rather than be an entire edition defining the entire wiki
experience,
I think I would favor if CarDo was more of a plugin to TiddlyWiki
- Did you consider this approach and if yes, what made you decide
against that?
- For example, I think all CarDo tabs should be under a main CarDo
tab in the sidebar
- and if one ends up having that open all the time, fine

4. possibly, CarDo could provide its own sidebar or action panel
- rather than try and squeeze all that stuff into the sidebar
- perhaps it's also just a matter of styles, e.g. that centered text
in the *Tools* tab
- which I don't find to be a good design choice

5. I tend to agree with Jed, that CarDo would benefit from as
little css / style modifications as necessary
- i.e. for it to look more like a "Stock-TiddlyWiki"
- for example, I don't quite fancy how the sidebar is fixed and very
narrow
- I find words that wrap anywhere highly off-putting (those veritcal
tab buttons in the sidebar)
- also, switching to a fixed story apparently breaks the layout so
that the story covers the sidebar
- it slightly appears that rather than be mobile friendly you tweaked
some core layout elements
to by default always assume smaller screens
- e.g. those vertical secondary tabs in the control panel or
sidebar
- I would abstain from such overall UI changes and leave it to
everyone else
to change that as desired and suit their device needs
- or wait for the core to provide an even more adaptive experience
- or only apply those changes for a screen size smaller than X
pixels
- in other words, CarDo suggesting new design paradigms appears
to me
to be something that users may not want and so it could be a reason
why some may refrain from using an otherwise great productivity
tool altogether

6. a little bug, I think: scroll to *Project Team* and click *N*
- scroll back down and see how now *all* tiddlers are
erroneously listed as RACI team members

7. I would name the Intake tab simply *New* because that's what it
does, it allows to create new pre-defined elements
- and would make the tab button shorter
- which would renaming the tab *Tiddlers* to *Core* likewise achieve

8. Are you planning a documentation edition for CarDo?
- I believe intermingling demo data and instructions in one go isn't
quite the best approach
- for example: How to change the RACI
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Responsibility_assignment_matrix>
pattern to one's personal preference / needs?
9. I would also very much want an empty edition w/o any demo setup /
tiddlers at all.

Personally, I probably won't be using CarDo,
as xGSD felt slightly overbearing to me.
I would possibly tend to a UX
that does not show everything all the time,
which atm feels overwhelming / distracting to me.

On the other hand, I do understand how it may be quicker
to have all the necessary controls visible at all times
at a defined spot, rather than having to search for that checkbox
burried in some "more CarDo" slider or some bottom-tabs.

On the other hand,
if you think of CarDo more as an extension,
then that's what you would want, e.g. to:

- know all the bells and whistles of it
- which make CarDo a gr8 productivity enhancement
- which are at your fingertips when you need them
- but *only then*
- and you know where to find them
- intuitively so

Best wishes,

Tobias.
David Someone
2016-09-25 01:45:23 UTC
Tobias, thank you very much for such a long and considered review - and
also I have to thank you for all the help you've given me (indirectly!)
through all your posts in these forums!

I'll reply inline... there's a lot to go through.
Post by Tobias Beer
Did you find yourself having to write a lot of custom js plugin code?
Surprisingly, no! Almost everything is in fairly standard macros! This was
actually really pleasing to me as I started by rewriting the original dGSD
Javascript macros (which were expansions of Simon Baird's code), inserting
widgets and child widgets, doing select cases and conditionals, etc. and
realized that approach was too hard, mostly from the TW5 learning curve (I
am really *not* a programmer!).
When I approached it through macros, I got a lot further ahead very
quickly. The only real limit was the complete lack of conditionals in TW5,
so I found it much easier to write a separate macro for each type of task
or project list I needed.

I did have to write 5 new filters:

$:/plugins/Cardo/filters/daysOrEmpty.js
$:/plugins/Cardo/filters/fieldContains.js
$:/plugins/Cardo/filters/fieldOrEmpty.js
$:/plugins/Cardo/filters/tagOrEmpty.js

These 4 are the same as the built-ins, but if they are passed a blank
variable, they will simply pass everything through to the next filter. This
lets me say filter="[field:someField[$variable$]]" but if $variable$ is
blank, it won't fail, it'll just be ignored.

$:/plugins/Cardo/filters/regexStr.js

This is almost the built-in regexp.js, but instead of returning Tiddlers
matching the results of the regex, it returns the results of acting on the
string passed to it. I'm using it to do a filter like:

filter="[<personguid>regexStr[\w{8}-\w{4}-4\w{3}-\w{4}-\w{12}]]">

and get a more flexible version of the "prefix" and "suffix" filters,
because I couldn't do "[field:cardo-personguid[remove[suffix<RACIrole>]]]"
or something like it.
Now I can take the field value "e93824f0-c1db-4ae2-8777-4010174e2ea3--Accountable"
and extract the GUID from it.

Speaking of which...
One area I did heavily deviate from standard TiddlyWiki was in the
identification of Tiddlers. Whereas normally you link to a Tiddler's title,
I realized early that doing this would break too many things. So I built a
GUID generator,

$:/plugins/Cardo/macros/guid.js

which takes the best from a StackOverflow thread and generates unique ID's
for every Person, Task, Project, and other Cardo type.
The reason is that I can now change a Tiddler's name without breaking the
many interrelations between the different types.
I may want to correct a person's name by renaming their Tiddler, but I
certainly don't want to reassign them all their tasks.

Other than that, I had to override core/ui/ViewTemplate and EditTemplate to
select which custom template to show based on whether the Tiddler
"[has[cardo-type]]", or is just a plain Tiddler. The rest is all macros and
standard TW5!
Post by Tobias Beer
1. Are you planning to package everything as a CarDo plugin?
Yes, currently everything is named $:/plugins/Cardo/xxx and
$:theme/Cardo/xxx ... I will put them all in one big Tiddler when it's
ready to do so.
As well, anything Cardo-specific is tagged "Cardo", so I can just export
"[tag[Cardo]]" for upgrades, or delete them to remove (until of course I
package it properly).
Post by Tobias Beer
1. Rather than be an entire edition defining the entire wiki
experience,
I think I would favor if CarDo was more of a plugin to TiddlyWiki
- Did you consider this approach and if yes, what made you decide
against that?
Agreed - I would likely have two plugins - the Cardo functionality itself,
and the theme which makes it look like an edition of it's own. My approach
is decidely "Edition"-based, because I want it to be a piece of software.
This is my own little Basecamp, my Wunderlist or AnyDo, but moreso. I feel
that TW is more of a framework (very, very powerful one!) than a UI or a
layout.

But I do want to appeal to a wide audience, so making it theme-friendly is
indeed a goal, albeit for later.
Post by Tobias Beer
- For example, I think all CarDo tabs should be under a main CarDo tab
in the sidebar
- and if one ends up having that open all the time, fine
1. possibly, CarDo could provide its own sidebar or action panel
- rather than try and squeeze all that stuff into the sidebar
That's a thought... especially for a non-edition version. I was actually
thinking of incorporating the 3-State-Sidebar plugin I saw, to make a
full-width Card, with a very narrow sidebar of only 48x48 buttons for new
Tiddlers, your dashboard, review, etc. But that's more Edition-based.
Post by Tobias Beer
- perhaps it's also just a matter of styles, e.g. that centered text
in the *Tools* tab
- which I don't find to be a good design choice
1. I tend to agree with Jed, that CarDo would benefit from as
little css / style modifications as necessary
- i.e. for it to look more like a "Stock-TiddlyWiki"
Understandably, but you and Jed and most here are hard-core TW'ers (as am
I very much), but I don't think TW means that particular layout. Again, to
me it's the capability of building your own wikified knowledge store,
rather than the fact that it looks or is laid out a certain way.
Post by Tobias Beer
- I find words that wrap anywhere highly off-putting (those veritcal
tab buttons in the sidebar)
- also, switching to a fixed story apparently breaks the layout
so that the story covers the sidebar
Tweaks. I'm trying to prevent my inner perfectionist from taking over
until I have all the capabilities in! ;->
Post by Tobias Beer
- it slightly appears that rather than be mobile friendly you tweaked
some core layout elements
to by default always assume smaller screens
Not to always assume... I found some nice CSS media selectors that I use
to make the buttons bigger on touchscreen-type devices. A side effect is
that the selectors kick in if I use Control-+ (or in my case Cmd-+) to
zoom. Try zooming in and out and you'll see how it switches.
Post by Tobias Beer
- e.g. those vertical secondary tabs in the control panel or sidebar
- I would abstain from such overall UI changes and leave it to
everyone else
to change that as desired and suit their device needs
Again, you're speaking about "everyone else" as if the bulk of TW users
are coders who will dig in and personalize it to their tastes. For the
moment, they probably are, but that's a *huge* limitation to the user base!
I believe TW would *fly* if you could click to select editions, and get the
functionality you need, rather than assuming everyone who uses it is a
coder! And if you didn't need TiddlyFox, but that's another story.
Post by Tobias Beer
1. a little bug, I think: scroll to *Project Team* and click *N*
- scroll back down and see how now *all* tiddlers are
erroneously listed as RACI team members
Thanks, keep 'em coming...!
1. I would name the Intake tab simply *New* because that's what it
does...
Agreed. I think the whole David Allen GTD thing is extremely useful, but
the jargon has gone out of style. "New" is far better.
Post by Tobias Beer
1. Are you planning a documentation edition for CarDo?
Definitely. There's some in the code, but I'll pull it all out before I
call it post-beta.
Post by Tobias Beer
- I believe intermingling demo data and instructions in one go isn't
quite the best approach
I have to balance between the web page that sells it, and the useful info
for the end-user actually using it. I've put a ? in the top right of every
Cardo Tiddler, but haven't populated the help Tiddlers yet.
Post by Tobias Beer
1. I would also very much prefer to start with an empty edition w/o
any demo setup / tiddlers at all.
For Beta, for sure.
Post by Tobias Beer
as xGSD felt slightly overbearing to me.
I would possibly tend to a UX
that does not show everything all the time,
which atm feels overwhelming / distracting to me.
Understood... It really is overkill for a ToDo list, but then again you
could simply ignore the Projects, Meetings, etc. and only use the Task
cards.

Since I started with Simon's mGSD, I've used it for everything from Project
Management of Cisco Call Manager deployments across nationwide insurance
companies, to Product Management of a half-billion-dollar set top box
interface and hardware development for a major CableTV company involving
50+ people... but also for my backyard garden and rebuilding a couple of
antique motorcycles!

Keep the comments coming! And thanks again for all your help, whether you
knew you were helping or not! ;->

Cheers,
David.
PJO
2016-09-25 10:30:33 UTC
I took a quick look which was all I had time for. I tried many different
tools before settling on a combination of MLO (MyLifeOrganized.net) and a
very simple TiddlyWiki of my own. If you haven't seen it I think MLO is
worth a look because it seems to me to be the most flexible and most
attractive GTD tool and it would be my point of reference for a comparison.
I run it on Windows and Linux (using WINE) and on my Android phone.

What MLO isn't is free and open source and completely platform independent
(runs on IOS but not OSX). A use case that is an unmet need for me at the
moment is a simple free tool for facilitating the work of the management
committee of a building, and I know of dozens of residents'
associations/management companies who share the need and who are currently
making do with various combinations of shoeboxes, paper, spreadsheets, word
documents, email (in particular), box/dropbox, google calendar. I'm sure
there must be many similar use cases -- clubs with little or no money and
the like, whose members do not all use the same operating systems.

At a glance, the interface seemed a bit like a cockpit with a lot of
information and options that might be daunting to someone not already
familiar with it or with GTD ideas (I recently saw and liked, I think it
was in NoteSelf, a Simple/Advanced button to hide some details). I will
keep an eye on it and if I can find time to provide more specific
suggestions on, perhaps, simplifications (e.g., for the case described
there's really only one area: the building).

Other quick comments: I'd avoid the word tiddler and use card (e.g,. blank
card). My committee isn't familiar with TiddlyWiki, nor all native speakers
of English. A focus on "we" in place of "I" would better reflect a shared
agenda. Realms aren't needed at all.
PJO
2016-09-25 10:32:42 UTC
I meant, of course, in the use case I described that realms aren't needed.
David Szego
2016-09-28 19:23:27 UTC
Finally packaged it as a proper Plugin, and reposted on cardo.wiki ...

If you want a nice clean upgrade, drag the "Delete Cardo" Tiddler from
cardo.wiki into yours, import it and click the button on it. Your data will
be intact.

Then click "Get Cardo" and drag the plugin(s) over to your TW file,
save/reload, and you're set!

You may want to use the Cardo theme, and I kinda like my Cardo Cappucino
palette! ;->

If you find your data isn't showing up right, go to the "Cardo" tab in the
sidebar. You will find a "Maintenance" sub-tab, with some useful buttons.

Cheers,
David.
Tobias Beer
2016-09-29 06:24:44 UTC
Hi David,

Thanks for taking it upon you to try and package Cardo as a plugin.

Some things I noticed...

1. popups are broken
- e.g. open sidebar tiddlers / tags and click on one
- or click on the Cardo tag and see how you can't scroll all the way
down
2. I don't think your default contexts should be packaged into the plugin
- e.g. a French Cardo'ist probably won't have a context called @House
but rather @Maison
- so, there appears to be some "basic setup" tiddlers that should be
some form of bundle, not a plugin
- and actually loaded as such into a wiki, as a collection of
exported tiddlers
- the should probably not be tagged Cardo, but *Cardo Defaults* or
some such
- I would personally see your modified PageTemplate in the same
bucket
3. Secondary tab buttons in the sidebar are still wrapping within the
words
- even after switching to the Vanilla theme
- so these styles must reside somewhere other than the Cardo theme

Best wishes,

Tobias.
David Szego
2016-09-29 22:58:09 UTC
Hi Tobias, as always thanks for the considered feedback!

I have moved the PageTemplate into the Theme and cleaned up wrapping,
popups and most other CSS .. I hope! I will post 1.0a10 tonight or
tomorrow.

Default contexts - good points, but I want to avoid too many plugins. You
already need Cardo, moment.js, datepicker, and Cardo Theme... Maybe a
button in the Cardo --> Maintenance tab to remove the defaults?

Speaking of "bundles"... two questions you'd know the answer to:
1. what are "Bags"?
2. can plugins (shadow packages) be packaged in other plugins? I'd love to
include moment and datepicker, but not sure if they'll get unpacked and
executed properly.

Thanks,
David.
Robert Edwards
2016-09-29 19:28:06 UTC
Hi David,

Great work. I'm playing with it now. The first hurdle that I immediately
run into is a migration path from my well-used, well-populated TWC dGSD to
Cardo. Even if I import the tiddlers into Cardo they are in the wrong
format so don't work. A migration tool would be very helpful. Right now all
I can see to do is to abandon my dGSD in place and start clean with Cardo,
or laboriously convert/reenter everything by hand. (Once I figure out
Cardo's basic usage, that is....) I realize such a tool is a huge request!
Or is there something that currently exists?

Speaking of usage, I've not yet even grokked how to do the simplest things.
For example you mention editing the Review tiddler to see your tasks. What
do you mean "edit" -- actually change the code in the body of the tiddler?
Replace the "Cardo" tag with my name? Something else? I haven't found
anything that works yet....

Thanks! I'm looking forward to actually using it!
David Szego
2016-09-29 22:27:06 UTC
Hi Robert, great questions - and a good idea about the importer. I will
definitely write one at some point in my beta stage, thanks for suggesting
it. Nice to know you're an avid dGSD user too!

Basic usage is the same as dGSD. The biggest difference is that you'll need
to create new task/project/etc. Tiddlers from either the "Cardo" sidebar
tab, or from the (+) or (N) buttons on existing Tiddlers.

You shouldn't need to edit the "Review" tab at this point... it should pick
up your "name for signing Tiddlers" in the TW config, and open
appropriately. I'll double-check a few use cases and make sure that works
right.

Ticklers, Books, and Mail I haven't touched yet. Those will be next,
probably in that order.

Curious - since you say you've got a "well used" dGSD, how did you find
yourself using Ticklers? I never ended up using them myself, so I could use
some good examples!

Cheers,
David.
Post by Tobias Beer
[...]
Or ticklers... I can create one, but I see no way to attach a date to it,
nor a way to assign it to a person. Maybe these are done with tags but I
see no option to attach a tag. Nor can I find a tickler dashboard. Are
ticklers not yet fully implemented or am I being dense?
http://cardo.wiki - <http://cardo.wiki>
Robert Edwards
2016-09-30 00:37:52 UTC
Thanks!

Really, you don't use ticklers? That's one of the things I use most! I
could probably just as easily put things in my calendar (and sometimes do)
but having it all in the TW is handy. Examples are things like:

- Every month at work I need to refresh my wifi password. I set up a
tickler to remind me, and the tickler contains a link to the webpage to do
so. Click & go!
- A tickler fires about a week prior to birthdays, holidays, etc to
remind me to get gifts, cards, etc
- There are some tasks that I have to do quarterly so I created a
tickler for those (and added a "quarterly" button alongside the weekly,
fortnightly, monthly, yearly buttons)
- Reminders for appointments, meetings, etc -- my "Ticklers requiring
action" and "Upcoming ticklers (next 7 days)" lists are my most-used lists
of my dashboard

As I said, I could put these in my calendar but having them in my dashboard
along with actions etc is very handy. (I've also customized the dashboards
somewhat). What I *can't* do with my calendar is click a button in the
tickler and turn it into an action item. E.g. a birthday reminder tickler
fires and I turn it into an errand action to get a card. Another thing that
my calendar doesn't do is "remember" that I've performed the required task
-- if I click the "+m" (or whatever) button in a tickler after I've
performed the task then it disappears until it's due again. A reminder in a
calendar however sometimes leaves me wondering "Did I do that already?"

Cheers!
Adam Houston
2017-01-31 23:47:03 UTC
I concur, ticklers in dGSD were very useful. Especially as they were
implemented with the +d +w +y buttons next to them to easily reschedule
them into the future after you took care of one that was recurring.

Some food for thought: In http://gsd5.tiddlyspot.com/ ticklers are
something you add onto an action instead of a standalone entity. I'm not
sure if I like this or not just something to ponder in terms of design
since you haven't fully implemented them.
Abramelin the Mage

David Szego
2016-11-03 15:49:56 UTC
Hi Abramelin, I've re-posted it at http://cardo.wiki/dGSD

Would you be kind enough to tell me what you liked better? I'm always
looking to improve it...

Cheers,
David.
Abramelin the Mage
2016-11-04 15:26:19 UTC
Thank you. Here are my issues with Cardo:

- I simply prefer TW Classic over TW5. Classic feels a lot more robust
to me, with barely ever any freezes, and I find it a lot prettier. And I
like its search better, as it provides contexts for matches rather than
just page titles. I'm not missing many features in Classic anyway, except
perhaps backlinks.
- TagglyTagging isn't implemented as extensively in the new version, and
it's less accessible. The old one had a beautiful Tags menu where I could
quickly tag something, or browse to other tiddlers with the same tags.
- The new version doesn't have the Quick Add feature.
- This is probably because it's still in the alpha version, but in its
current state, it simply isn't functional for me. There are bugs like new
actions defaulting to the wrong project (I can click "new subproject" under
project A and yet end up with a subproject of project B), and the dashboard
doesn't work.

Which is not to say that I'm not glad there's a continued interest in the
development of GTD implementations. I just prefer more mature projects.

A question: is it possible in dGSD 1.6 to view my upcoming deadlines?
David Szego
2016-11-04 17:39:57 UTC
Hi Abramelin,

It sounds like many of your preferences are towards TW Classic itself and
the plugins available rather than Cardo. I have to agree with some of
those, I'm especially missing TagglyTagging.

I'll address the Cardo-specific points as I continue development.

For keeping track of your upcoming deadlines, click the word "Calendar" in
the header, and you'll get a useful dropdown:

Pit.W.

Adam Houston
2017-01-23 18:43:52 UTC
David. Cardo is looks quite good. I was a dGSD user for a while including
the email import feature (I think we corresponded a couple of times
regarding it). I am please to see you are working on a TW5 version. It
seems to be fairly feature complete for a beta version. A couple thoughts:

- Dashboards: I don't see the review dashboard that were is dGSD (and
really everything descended from the line of Monkey* TW GTD tools). Are
you planning on moving them over? I had customized a number of dashboard
in dGSD that made it more useful for my purposes. What is the effort level
to implement them? I am familiar with what changed in TWClassic->TW5 from
a user perspective but not as familiar with how the internal changes
affected things at a coding level.
- CouchDB version: I had always thought that these types of GTD tools
really needed to be more cloud based/multi-device (multi-user would be
great but that has a whole other level of complexity). I used to run mGSD
loaded onto tiddlyspace.com which did give some multi-device capability
(dGSD was not happy with this configuration). I had also utilized Using
Dropbox in the sky. However, these were slow and cumbersome. I always
thought that these tools would be a good match for integration with
pouchdb/couchdb but did not have the time to pursue it. Having also
recently noticed NoteSelf I loaded Cardo into the quick launch version last
week at https://noteself.github.io/online/ and plugged it into a couchdb
backend at cloudant.com and actually it runs surprisingly well across
multiple devices with no effort. I have always liked how easy it was to
plug things together inside of TW :)

Thank you for your efforts,

Adam
David Szego
2017-01-23 19:03:44 UTC
Hi Adam, nice to hear from you!

Just a quick reply, will write more when I'm home...

The main dashboard is there, under the "Cardo" sidebar tab, but I haven't
moved any others yet. They'll be really easy to write as I broke everything
into very small specific macros when I re-wrote it in TW5. Maybe I'll focus
on that next.

CouchDB would be cool... It works very nicely under Node.js too... The
NoteSelf guy is fairly focused on the CouchDB code and is quite active in
these forums.
You should put up a post on how to integrate this (and other TW instances)
in CloudAnt w/CouchDB - that would be useful to many.

Talk soon,
David.
David. ...
- Dashboards:...
- CouchDB version:..
Danielo Rodríguez
2017-01-23 19:38:59 UTC
Dear David,

I'm the couch guy :)
Adam has already tried cardo with noteself and he reports the it works well.
The only thing you need to get this working is going to noteself.github.io/online ,install the plugin, optionally configure a remote DB and click on save config and you are good to go.

I published a small how to video (less than 5 minutes) that can be considered a tutorial.

Adam Houston
2017-01-24 01:28:23 UTC
Yes it runs as does GSD5. I do get some pop up errors along the lines of:

syncer-browser - 17:25:31 23 1 2017

Sync error while processing 'My Task': TypeError: Cannot read property
'rev' of undefined

here and there. Doesn't seem to affect the operation and it could be
due to me running on multiple devices. I am just impressed it runs as
well as it does without being aware of throwing it on top of
pouch/couchdb.
David Szego
2017-05-25 19:54:28 UTC
Hi Ward,

It's no more multi-user than TW itself is, but you can add as many people
as you want with the "Cardo" sidebar --> "New" tab --> "Person" button.
Each person will have their own dashboard. If you share the file (or host
with Node.js) they can look at their own dashboards for their
tasks/projects, and assign to others as needed.

Autosave is also a core TW function that can be turned on/off in the
Control Panel. If you share a Node.js instance, you don't have to worry
about pushing changes.

Cheers,
David.
This appears to be multi-user? Does it autosave after each change? How do
you push changes to users who have the file open? Just asking.
2017-05-25 20:26:50 UTC
Ciao David

Cardo looks very much like an app that could work well with Noteself
<https://noteself.github.io/> -- which gets closer to proper multi-user
support via a syncing remote database (whilst retaining total local TW
existence offline too). Its looks very promising.

Have you looked at it?

More recently the explicit multi-user configuration
<https://noteself.github.io/cloudant-configurator/> has gone into testing.