[tw] Happy Birthday TiddlyWiki from TWGuides.org
Andreas Hahn
2014-09-20 12:41:00 UTC
Hi everyone,

just in time for the stable release of TiddlyWiki5 I am done with my
project TWGuides.org <http://twguides.org> and the website is now online.
Of course there isn't much content yet, but I am confident that that
will change in the future.

The intent of the project is to encourage people to use and actively
tweak TiddlyWiki according to their needs. Similar to the old version, I
also want to encourage people to share their knowledge and help other
people get the most out of this wonderful piece of wiki software.

And last but not least:
Thank you Jeremy for writing TiddlyWiki, I certainly enjoy using it and
I appreciate all the effort you and all the contributors have put into it.
Happy Birthday TiddlyWiki !

/Andreas

P.S.: TWGuides is available both under http://twguides.org and
http://tiddlywikiguides.org
2014-09-20 12:43:24 UTC
Thank you Andreas, much appreciated.

twguides.org looks great, a real boon for the community to have such a
professional looking resource accompanying the release.

You're just in time for me to include a link on tiddlywiki.com - I assume
twguides.org is your preferred URL?

Many thanks,

Jeremy
mailto:***@gmail.com
Andreas Hahn
2014-09-20 12:49:39 UTC
Hi Jeremy,

thanks for including a link and yes I would prefer twguides.org since
its nice and short.

/Andreas
twguides.org <http://twguides.org> looks great, a real boon for the
community to have such a professional looking resource accompanying
the release.
You're just in time for me to include a link on tiddlywiki.com
<http://tiddlywiki.com> - I assume twguides.org <http://twguides.org>
is your preferred URL?
Many thanks,
Jeremy
On Sat, Sep 20, 2014 at 1:41 PM, Andreas Hahn
2014-09-20 12:55:48 UTC
Hi Andreas

I only just discovered the customizer page:
http://twguides.org/customizer.html

Congratulations, it's excellent, and very useful.

I plan to do something similar on tiddlywiki.com, based on the techniques
used in upgrade.html. In order to upgrade plugins it contains a library
plugin that contains a copy of all of the plugins distributed via
tiddlywiki.com.

The first change would be to provide a UI in update.html that allows
plugins to be added that aren't already in the initial document. In effect,
this would turn upgrade.html into a plugin installer.

Then we'd use the same mechanism within a new UI as customiser.html (and
maybe copied to customizer.html too!).

Best wishes

Jeremy
Danielo Rodríguez
2014-09-21 09:21:46 UTC
Hello Andreas

Nice to see twguides up and running now. Thank you very much for your time and effort.

I didn't know that you mention me in your website. Since I like the idea I would like to be notified about it also. The main reason is that your work is also useful for me, and the other reason is, well, everybody likes to see that his work is useful for others 😉. Maybe you told me and I don't remember it.

Very nice work. I like a lot the TW creator. Sometimes could be a pain to get the plugins you love in an empty tiddlywiky. Very very handy, really. You can add any of my plugins if you wish.

Andreas Hahn
2014-09-21 18:16:21 UTC
Hi Danielo,

thanks for your feedback. To have some initial content on the site I
restructured some of the answers I previously gave here on the list that
I thought could be be useful to others and were sizable enough to
deserve their own writeup. So the fact that I mentioned your tiddlyspot
is because it was the starting point for the original answer.

I would really like to include more plugins in the customizer,
especially ones like yours that are already deemed very useful by others
(e.g. the context search). However a few people made me aware that there
should be a very clear and explicit licensing structure for the plugins
that also fits to the BSD-style license of the core.
Also I believe some of your plugins are not compatible with TW5.1 yet,
but the bottom line is: Yes I would very much like to include some of
your plugins into the customizer once they're 5.1 compatible and if you
need any assistance to make them 5.1 ready, I would be honored to help.

@Jeremy:

I've heard that you're planning something like the Customizer and I
think it really should be integrated into tiddlywiki.com
since it very much belongs there and maybe it doesn't have to be limited
to just the core plugins (you talked about having third party editions
maintained on tw.com yesterday, so I don't think it would be
unreasonable to have a plugin library too .. of course there are a lot
of details involved).
For now the customizer.html is pretty much a proof of concept and a
workable solution for the time being which I myself use pretty much all
the time to grab a wiki with CodeMirror.
However I don't feel particularly great about having such a strong
connection to the core and I would like to focus more on third party
plugins that aren't as accessible as the core plugins.

/Andreas
2014-09-24 11:41:01 UTC
Hi Andreas
I've heard that you're planning something like the Customizer and I think
it really should be integrated into tiddlywiki.com
since it very much belongs there and maybe it doesn't have to be limited
to just the core plugins (you talked about having third party editions
maintained on tw.com yesterday, so I don't think it would be unreasonable
to have a plugin library too .. of course there are a lot of details
involved).
There is already a plugin library in tiddlywiki.com; plugins like
highlight, markdown, katex etc. are not part of the core, but are
"official" plugins that are maintained alongside it.

It's important that tiddlywiki.com only distributes official plugins that
have a commitment to their maintenance. I don't want to start distributing
3rd party plugins without that commitment.

The problem I am trying to solve is the way that plugins for TWC (and even
some for TW5) have been abandoned by their original authors. We need to
make it clear to users which plugins have been adopted and therefore users
can have confidence that they will be supported into the future.
For now the customizer.html is pretty much a proof of concept and a
workable solution for the time being which I myself use pretty much all the
time to grab a wiki with CodeMirror.
Yes, it's great. I'm keen on the model where we have a vibrant 3rd party
"unofficial" ecosystem that isn't constrained by the sort of rules we need
to ensure quality and maintainability of the officially distributed
plugins. Then we can assimilate the popular 3rd party plugins/editions
according to their popularity and usefulness.
However I don't feel particularly great about having such a strong
connection to the core and I would like to focus more on third party
plugins that aren't as accessible as the core plugins.
I think that that is fulfilling a very useful role.

Best wishes

Jeremy.
/Andreas