[tw5] [TW5] Bob version 1.0.5 Salt Bagels, or I should probably let people know about the plugin library
2018-09-09 21:02:52 UTC
I released Bob version 1.0.5 this weekend. The changelog is below. The
biggest change is that you can set it up so you can use the TWederBob
plugin in non-Bob wikis to push to or fetch from your Bob server.

There was also a big change with the single executable version. At the
suggestion of Mat it is now called BobEXE which hopefully will cut down on
some confusion.
I have almost completely re-done how the executables are built and rather
than try to fight with git over restarting and renaming the repo I use made
a new one. Updates are now much easier to make and there are details that I
doubt anyone else cares about.

But, it is now a much simple task to make a custom version. If you want to
replace the default index wiki with some custom edition that is now
possible. And you an include non-core plugins in the executable when you
build it so that they are available to all the wikis without any need to
install them. I have no idea if anyone will actually take advantage of this
or not.

Also BobEXE comes packaged with TWederBob setup as a new type of plugin
library. For the moment I have no idea if people will find it useful
because it is just the OokTech plugins so I haven't put it anywhere
immediately obvious. To get to it open the TWederBob plugin tiddler
($:/plugins/OokTech/TWederBob) and in the plugin tiddler open the
GetPlugins tab. When you click the Get Plugin List button a list of
available plugins will appear. It may take a few seconds. Then you can look
though the list and, if you find one you want to install, click the Install
button next to the plugin information. It will once again take a few
seconds but then the normal 'Please save and reload to allow changes to
plugins to take effect' message should appear. Once that shows up reload
the wiki and you should have the plugin installed.

The interface is pretty rough but it works.

You can install the TWederBob plugin on any wiki (single html file, Bob,
Node, NoteSelf, tiddlyspot, etc.) and it should work the same way as long
as you are connected to the internet. And as long as my server isn't
experiencing troubles.

The plugin version of Bob is on GitHub
here: https://github.com/OokTech/TW5-Bob
The newest version of BobEXE is available
here: https://github.com/OokTech/TW5-BobEXE/releases

If you want to support the development OokTech has a patreon page here
https://www.patreon.com/OokTech
or if you prefer there is a link for PayPal here
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=ZG94CTLHTKYRE

Bob 1.0.5 changelog (the full changelog is here
https://github.com/OokTech/TW5-Bob/blob/master/Changelog.tid):

- Added fetch and push routes to the `ws-server`
- There are currently only placeholder functions for access control
- Updated external libraries to the newest versions (npm modules `ip`, `ws`
and `async-limiter`)
- `ip` is used to get the ip address of the server to make connecting
multiple computers easier
- `ws` adds a websocket interface to the server side
- `async-limiter` is needed by `ws`
- Now the external libraries correctly use `tiddlywiki.files` files instead
of the previous fragile hacky way.
- Updated documentation and added a tab in the Bob section of the
$:/ControlPanel for Bob documentation.
- Bob now prints out the TiddlyWiki and Bob versions being used in the
terminal when you start the server.
- The Save Wiki button is disabled because it isn't useful (later I may
make it download a non-bob single file wiki)
2018-09-09 23:38:56 UTC
Jed,

I currently use the single executable to manage all my own key wikis on my
desktop. Is the upgrade process still a drop the executable in place and
execute it?
Especially with my existing wikis? Should I then add the bob plugin to each
(perhaps not I think)?

This ability to customise and package a custom version is sooooo coooool

2018-09-10 08:18:59 UTC
It is the same thing, just a different name.

You just replace the old executable file with the new one. If you are using
the executable version than you don't have to worry about ever installing
the Bob plugin in any wiki.
2018-09-10 09:52:36 UTC
Ciao Jed & Bob

Am I right in thinking you can have more than one instance of Bob running?
That Bob detects and auto-adjusts the addressing?

I noticed, doing a fresh install of the new BobWin.exe on Windows that it
adjusted to accommodate an already running old Bob ... like this ...

NodeSettings - Parsed raw settings.
Websockets listening on 8082
Serving on 127.0.0.1:8081
(press ctrl-C to exit)
syncer-server-WebsocketAdaptor: Dispatching 'save' task: $:/StoryList
new connection

If so, its useful to know.

2018-09-10 10:01:15 UTC
Ciao Jed & Bob

Post by Jed Carty
terminal when you start the server.
I think that is really useful as the terminal tells you most of what is
going on.

Unfortunately the Windows Bob console isn't yet displaying it (Win7 FF52
64bit desktop).

2018-09-10 10:26:27 UTC
Ciao Jed & Bob

This is just a thought. On startup for the mainwiki the Bob control panel
might be better as the Home tiddler? I.e.
$:/plugins/OokTech/Bob/ControlPanelTab with the current home Tiddler
([[Hello!]]) added as the default tab?

Just a thought.

FWIW I think adding the documentation to the panel is very useful, thanks.

2018-09-10 11:25:42 UTC
Running multiple instances of Bob is possible but probably a bad idea. By
default BobEXE will find an open port to use so that it shouldn't ever have
a port collision problem so if you do start it multiple times it would work
but I don't think there is a benefit to it. You can host as many wikis as
you want from a single Bob instance and there aren't restrictions on
plugins or anything like that.
And you shouldn't ever let multiple instances of Bob server the same wiki
because it can very easily case strange problems.
2018-09-10 11:34:22 UTC
Thanks Jed. Just FYI my specific, limited, use case is to have a "test Bob"
that is basically vanilla. My main Bob is now quite populated with loads of
custom settings. I use the the "vanilla" to check I haven't messed up by
testing one thing at a time. Usually I would not start 2 Bob at the same
time--no point. But I DO think a additional vanilla Bob is quite good for
checking stuff?
Arlen Beiler
2018-09-13 01:37:00 UTC
How does the websockets work? Do you have it setup for data folders or just
for the main Bob wiki. I don't know how Bob works (sorry, I should, I
know), but I am trying to implement a standard interface for plugins to
communicate with the server in a server-agnostic way, and I'm curious what
your thoughts are.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/314db3d1-4dfb-4ac8-99e8-d60c73acf16e%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/314db3d1-4dfb-4ac8-99e8-d60c73acf16e%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
2018-09-13 09:41:14 UTC
Considering that the web socket interface is central to how Bob works I
don't think that it is reasonable for me to explain it here. I suggest that
you look at the documentation for Bob. I have been working on an
implementation that could work on a wide range of servers since I started
Bob.

I made it very extensible so the message structure should work fine on
other servers.
2018-09-15 08:43:00 UTC
Ciao Jed & Bob

Small point on the filename.

Under some conditions menuing systems read the internal file name of
"BobWin.exe", which is "Node.js", and present that rather than the actual
name. For instance, under the the widely used Windows PortableApplications
system it presents it like this by default ...

... that doesn't stop it running, and its nominal moniker is easily changed
in PA. But I did find it confusing till I realised what was going on.

If its not difficult, is the compiler able to replace the internal name
with the external name?

Just a thought.

Best wishes, Josiah
2018-09-15 09:45:38 UTC
Ciao Jed & Bob

A note on how Bob upgrades.

The activation of the updated plugins works fine.

There may be a slight issue in that I don't think old shadows are always
being removed? Actually I'm unclear what is happening.

An existing upgraded Bob Settings of mine currently looks like this ...

But a vanilla install of Bob shows this on the same plugin version...

Notice the newer version has the "Bob Documentation" tab the previous does
not.

Is this an issue?

2018-09-17 09:03:13 UTC
I have not found a way to change the name that is used by the executable.
That is part of the pkg module I use to make it and not something that I
have control. Check to see if you have any overwritten shadow tiddlers in
your wiki, there is a little link symbol on the tab so I suspect that is
it. It would be called $:/plugins/OokTech/Bob/ControlPanelTab
2018-09-17 14:07:07 UTC
Post by Jed Carty
I have not found a way to change the name that is used by the executable.
That is part of the pkg module I use to make it and not something that I
have control.
Thanks Jed for looking. Its not any kind of deal-breaker. If I can figure
out where to complain about that behaviour in the "pkg" I will.
2018-09-18 13:25:34 UTC
Check to see if you have any overwritten shadow tiddlers in your wiki,
there is a little link symbol on the tab so I suspect that is it. It would
be called $:/plugins/OokTech/Bob/ControlPanelTab
Thanks Jed, that solved it.
2018-09-19 11:35:28 UTC
Ciao Jed & Bob

I love "internalFetch".

The only complication for me is I have to manually check it worked.

I was wondering if there is a way to indicate it was successful? OR
possibly open the tiddlers fetched in the story river? Or a "fetch"
equivalent of what happens after normal import--a tiddler showing what was
fetched.

I was wondering, also, once its successful, if there is a way to either
hide or flag a "fetch" button completed? I'm not clear whether that
functionality could be built with existing TW procedures, or whether only
Bob could do it?

Please ask if this is unclear

2018-09-21 09:14:17 UTC
Dear Jed & Bob

This is a request for automated "Delete a Wiki" option.

At the moment its something you have to do manually. The tricky part is
editing the Json settings file. If you make a simple mistake it can upset
the Bob system. I know, I did that :-).

FYI, when I started Bob I found I needed to make many temporary Wiki in
order to learn it. So a delete method for created Wikis would be helpful.

Very best wishes
2018-09-26 12:51:49 UTC
For folk on email ... I just updated my post on Bob's "internalFetch" at
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tiddlywiki/9Qflg67CYYI/TPTmuzTYCAAJ

2018-09-26 12:55:43 UTC
Ciao Jed & Bob

Am I right in thinking that "internalFetch" cannot fetch from the
"RootWiki"?