[tw] [EOL-TS] Message from TiddlySpace
2016-01-12 09:50:16 UTC
TiddlySpace Service will see the "End of Life" in December 2016.

*No need to panic! But this is an early call for action!*

see: Tiddlyspace Service Update
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/tiddlyspace/gDqcOXvpiZc>

Since there are some users, that heavily rely on the service, we should try
to fix this problem.

have fun!
mario
Tobias Beer
2016-01-12 10:08:15 UTC
Hi Mario,
Post by PMario
TiddlySpace Service will see the "End of Life" in December 2016.
Sad story there. What a waste of opportunity.

Tobias.
2016-01-12 10:20:39 UTC
Post by Tobias Beer
Hi Mario,
Post by PMario
TiddlySpace Service will see the "End of Life" in December 2016.
Sad story there. What a waste of opportunity.
I'd say: "What an opportunity, to build something new!"

-m
Spangenhelm
2016-01-12 12:25:12 UTC
Hi tobias and mario, i agree with both of you on this!

I'd say: "What an opportunity, to build something new!"
I don't know what you have in mind but i'm sure that if you plan to start
something i would feel very sorry to miss this opportunity to get involved
;-)
Ps: You can count on *at least a 20$ *donation from my part for this
project!

++
Post by PMario
Post by Tobias Beer
Hi Mario,
2016-01-12 14:14:14 UTC
Thanks for reporting @PMario

I was positively surprised to see it last for as long as it did after
@cdent left.

I hope this triggers intense discussion (and action) on the implemenatation
of the TWederation <http://twaddle.tiddlyspot.com/#The%20Federation>.

Scott Simmons (Secret-HQ)
2016-01-14 02:38:50 UTC
Where does Tiddly*Spot* fit into the current/future ecosystem of
TiddlyDevelopment, TiddlyHosting, and TiddlySharing?
2016-01-14 13:52:03 UTC
TiddlySpot is a hosting service run by long time community members and (I
believe) cousings Simon and Daniel Baird of Australia.
It is absolutely free and you can use for both TW2 and TW5, and even a few
premade applications for TW2. It has worked flawlessly over the years, as
far as I know, and I've probably set up more than a 100 tiddlyspots over
the years.

IMO it is the easiest way to get an online TW and it's really easy to
publish a plugin or merely set up a demo - perhaps even just for a
question. You can also make pull-requests, i.e contributions to both the
actual TW5 core or to tiddlywiki.com documentation there, by simply
alerting Jeremy about it.

Setting up a TW5 requires a few extra steps because the tiddlyspot front
only offers TW2 variants. TW5 performs flawlessly there also though and
it's not difficult to set up a TW5 - I've detailed it here on TWaddle
<http://twaddle.tiddlyspot.com/#Fastest%20way%20to%20create%20a%20new%20tiddlyspot>, my
main "publish-to-the-community" TiddlySpot.

<:-)

Chris Dent
2016-01-21 16:14:02 UTC
Post by Mat
I was positively surprised to see it last for as long as it did after
@cdent left.
I think that's a credit to the work that I and others did to set things up.
We had a really good group of people doing really good work. That things
have remained standing for two years with apparently very little input from
the remains of Osmosoft is quite remarkable.

And, just to be clear, in case there's any confusion: I didn't want to
leave.
Jon
2016-01-16 16:58:37 UTC
Post by PMario
*No need to panic! But this is an early call for action!*
Definitely some panic here. I love TiddlyWiki because it's so easy to make
it do exactly what you want it to with a modest knowledge of Javascript.
But as soon as it goes beyond your personal use, there's trouble: saving,
separating public and private, dealing with multiple users, etc. I made a
fairly big commitment to TiddlySpace and modified four highly customized
TWs to run there - two that support my research group and two that support
two of my key courses. I don't see how I could make these things work on
some other platform without a HUGE amount of coding to replicate what TW
already does - or even what that platform might be.

--Jon
Handoko Suwono

2016-01-17 09:21:24 UTC
Definitely some panic here. ...
People might want to check out TANK <https://tank.peermore.com/> which is
created by the lead developer of TiddlyWeb and, previously, TiddlySpace.

Chris Dent
2016-01-21 16:30:09 UTC
Post by Mat
People might want to check out TANK <https://tank.peermore.com/> which is
created by the lead developer of TiddlyWeb and, previously, TiddlySpace.
I continue to maintain tank and use it as my daily notetaker. I don't,
however, pay that much attention to how it is being used with tiddlywiki
class and tw5. It can be used in that context:

* https://tank.peermore.com/tanks/docs/TiddlyWiki%20Classic
* https://tank.peermore.com/tanks/docs/TiddlyWiki%20Five

but I suspect there are some issues. Please feel free to try it out and if
it does not behave make some issues

* https://github.com/cdent/tank/issues

I can't promise that I will attend to them immediately (day job comes
first).

For people who want to experiment with their existing tiddlyspace content
on tank there's a space for that:

* http://totank.tiddlyspace.com/

Again, I haven't tested this recently, but as far as I know nothing should
have changed.

Throughout it all, though, please keep in mind that Tank has a different
paradigm from TiddlySpace. On the surface it is an old school paged-based
wiki. Underneath is a tiddler application platform. In that underneath
layer it is possible to use either version of TiddlyWiki as one of the
apps. I wrote about the differences between Tank and TiddlySpace last year:

* https://tank.peermore.com/tanks/tank-notes/TiddlySpace%20and%20Tank
Tobias Beer
2016-01-21 17:37:28 UTC
Hi Chris,

Would you say it makes sense to...

- figure out a local install of TiddlyWeb / TiddlyWebWiki
- somehow replicate / migrate / import spaces there

Right now I'm inclined to simply make local backups of all spaces.
This, of course, will do away with any inclusion and produce standalone
wikis.

Best wishes,

Tobias.
2016-01-22 14:27:59 UTC
Post by Tobias Beer
Would you say it makes sense to...
I think what makes sense depends a great deal on who is doing it.
Unfortunately we never really achieved frictionless tiddlyweb.
Post by Tobias Beer
- figure out a local install of TiddlyWeb / TiddlyWebWiki
- somehow replicate / migrate / import spaces there
Right now I'm inclined to simply make local backups of all spaces.
This, of course, will do away with any inclusion and produce standalone
wikis.
I suspect local backups (that include all the stuff that would be
included from other spaces if hosted on tiddlyspace) is probably the
most straightforward way to continue getting individual functionality.

I'm sorry I can't give more concrete advice. I've never really become
all that savvy with TiddlyWiki.
--
Chris Dent http://burningchrome.com/
[...]
Yakov
2016-02-01 22:00:47 UTC
Hi guys,

I may be sort of out of context as I read this group seldom these days, but
here is what I'd like to ask/mention:

1. What do you think about TiddlyWiki.org? How valuable it is for you (I
mean, I don't know, how many users of TiddlyWiki Classic like is out
there)? Can it be stored somewhere so that it can be edited collectively
like today? Or, more precisely, is anyone, among those reading this, ready
to do smth about it (I guess, create hosting with TiddlyWeb platform, copy
contents of the current wiki there and allow users to register and edit?)
Actually, the same question for customize.tiddlyspace.com ...

2. EOL of TiddlySpace doesn't mean that tiddlyweb.com is going anywhere,
does it?

3. Ok, this idea may be eclectic, but if we're talking about social aspect
of using tiddlers, may be it would be useful to join another *social*
engine and try to implement some extension for tiddlers in such a project.
By saying this, I mostly mean Diaspora [1] which is open source
decentralized social network (you may be have heard of already) and even if
extending its main branch doesn't get approved by the core team, one can
fork it and extend in any manner he or she likes to. At some early point of
Diaspora development, there was even some buzz about Diaspora plugins, but
unfortunately I can't find anything.

I fully understand that implementation of this idea is very likely to be
very time-consuming, but, well, I'd like to share it anyway..

Best regards,
Yakov.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diaspora_(social_network)
2016-02-04 12:33:22 UTC
Post by Yakov
2. EOL of TiddlySpace doesn't mean that tiddlyweb.com is going anywhere,
does it?
tiddlyweb.com is hosted on my personal server and the domain is
owned by Jeremy so that will be sticking around. One issue that will
need to be addressed is that a lot of the tiddlyweb documentation
currently lives on tiddlyspace in http://tiddlyweb.tiddlyspace.com/

I'll probably use totank to deal with that:
Yakov
2016-02-23 21:57:12 UTC
Ok. For those who are interested and are not members of tiddlywiki.org and
customize.tiddlyspace.com, I've downloaded a copy of each one as TiddlyWiki
(Classic) and attached to this post.

Chris, could you please do the same for the current snapshot of
tiddlyweb.tiddlyspace.com?

It is sad that they'll become unavialable for collaboration even if I put
them to my host, but there's some time to think how to adapt them to the
new reality. But again, I hardly understand how much interest of TW Classic
is out there today.

By the way, what kind of moderation is used in this group currently? (who
is allowed to subscribe/post? which needs moderator approval?) I think it
would be useful to create a TiddlyWiki Classic group since this one is full
of TW5-only posts and that caused me to stop reading it regularly..

Best regards,
Yakov.
2016-02-23 22:18:51 UTC
Post by Yakov
Chris, could you please do the same for the current snapshot of
tiddlyweb.tiddlyspace.com?
I'll be moving the contents of that space to
https://tank.peermore.com/ sometime before the end of the year.
Much of the content in @tiddlyweb is formatted as markdown so
putting it in a tiddlywiki classic won't be of much use.
Tobias Beer
2016-02-24 08:13:42 UTC
Hi Yakov,
Post by Yakov
By the way, what kind of moderation is used in this group currently? (who
is allowed to subscribe/post? which needs moderator approval?) I think it
would be useful to create a TiddlyWiki Classic group since this one is full
of TW5-only posts and that caused me to stop reading it regularly.
Why not just open one yourself? In fact, I just did so.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/tiddlywikiclassic

So, please join and I'll make you an admin, Yakov.

Best wishes,

Tobias.
Yakov
2016-02-25 10:59:05 UTC
Hi Tobias,

in fact I was considering doing so, that's why I've asked about moderation
policy in *this* group: it strikes me as quite successful in terms of
spam-fighting, so should be used in the new group as well. Anyway, thanks
for creating it. I'll try to publish some new plugins and announce there
shortly to get some more attention there.

Best regards,
Yakov.
Post by Tobias Beer
Hi Yakov,
Tobias Beer
2016-02-25 12:47:50 UTC
Hi Yakov,
Post by Yakov
in fact I was considering doing so, that's why I've asked about moderation
policy in *this* group: it strikes me as quite successful in terms of
spam-fighting, so should be used in the new group as well. Anyway, thanks
for creating it. I'll try to publish some new plugins and announce there
shortly to get some more attention there.
Wouldn't know about that, never been a manager / owner of this group, made
you the latter in the new group.

Best wishes,

Tobias.