[tw5] [MuuriTouch] Reloaded
BurningTreeC
2018-07-01 04:45:39 UTC
Hi community,

because of some recent requests about MuuriTouch I'm opening this new
Thread to provide some updates
the current plugin is located at http://tiddlytouch.tiddlyspot.com and
should be obtained from there, NOT from http://muritest.tiddlyspot.com
http://muritest.tiddlyspot.com includes highly experimental experiments and
should be seen as what it is, a muuri testing page, a playground, a demo

Regarding a new plugin version:

It's planned but I'm waiting for the new muuri release (see
https://github.com/haltu/muuri)
Since the last version I've tried to create smaller tiddlywiki additions
from the lessons I've learned making MuuriTouch, and I've learned a lot
about the tiddlywiki internals which hopefully will result in a better new
MuuriTouch version.

I'd like to use this thread to gather issues, ideas and suggestions and to
provide informations to this great community ;)

c u later alligator,
BTC
2018-07-01 05:42:02 UTC
BuringTree,

Looking forward to a reloaded version.

I was wondering if there would be a way to (optionally) use the same story
as in the regular view or at least open it into the tile view or visa versa.

I would most often work without the tiles on my desktop (some exceptions),
but there are the cases where the tile view is best, especially once I go
mobile or tablet. It would be nice to transition from one to the other,
with the same set of tiddlers.

BurningTreeC
2018-07-01 07:31:26 UTC
Post by TonyM
BuringTree,
Looking forward to a reloaded version.
I was wondering if there would be a way to (optionally) use the same story
as in the regular view or at least open it into the tile view or visa versa.
That could be done easily
The Muuri view uses its own storylist tiddler, but you could set that
tiddler's list field to the same value as the $:/StoryList 's list field
modifying the button that changes views a bit...
and when you leave view, you set the $:/StoryList 's list field to the
value of the Muuri storylist list field...

BurningTreeC
2018-07-01 10:52:45 UTC
Post by TonyM
Perhaps a MuuriList / Story List toggle in both views?
Thanks for your work
Tony
Thanks Tony,

yes a toggle to switch stories would be nice, I'll put it on the list
Mohammad
Dave
2018-07-01 20:48:47 UTC
Although I understand this is largely designed for touch interfaces, it
would be a nice option to be able to have the side tiddler controls hide
until hovered over in the case you want to use it with a mouse and keep it
prettier.
BurningTreeC
2018-07-02 07:33:51 UTC
Post by Dave
Although I understand this is largely designed for touch interfaces, it
would be a nice option to be able to have the side tiddler controls hide
until hovered over in the case you want to use it with a mouse and keep it
prettier.
Yes, I was thinking the same when I installed it yesterday with the
keeboord plugin ... I've replaced all buttons with keyboard shortcuts,
which works great and I don't need the sidebar anymore
I'll definetely make the left bar configurable always shown/shown on hover
only/never shown
Thanks for the suggestion!

BTC
Dave
2018-07-02 21:06:13 UTC
Oh, and an icon on the left menu like "^" to jump to the top of the story
column would be cool... I have one I stole from somewhere in the main menu
on the right, but obviously that isn't accessible if the right menu is
closed.

And I'm not sure if my previous question came across right - I meant the
controls on each individual tiddler on its right. Re-reading your above
response I could read it either way... just clarifying
- Dave
Dave
2018-07-03 00:36:00 UTC
I put this

<$button>
^
<$list variable='Target' filter='[list[$:/StoryList]first[]]'>
<$action-navigate $to=<<Target>>/>
</$list>
</$button>

in the left menu ( $:/plugins/BTC/tiddly-touch/PageTemplate/LeftBar ) and
that works (but it looks out of place as its a button and the rest are more
esthetically pleasing)
2018-07-03 04:59:47 UTC
Dave

add a class statement to your button

eg;

<$button class="tc-btn-invisible tc-tiddlylink"

- class="tc-btn-invisible tc-tiddlylink" to have a button look like an
internal link.
- class="tc-btn-invisible" to have a button have no boarder

Post by Dave
I put this
<$button>
^
Dave
2018-07-08 02:43:19 UTC
Just noticed this - Thanks Tony! That definitely looks better
Post by TonyM
Dave
add a class statement to your button
eg;
<$button class="tc-btn-invisible tc-tiddlylink"
- class="tc-btn-invisible tc-tiddlylink" to have a button look like an
internal link.
- class="tc-btn-invisible" to have a button have no boarder
Post by Dave
I put this
<$button>
^
David Gifford
2018-07-03 16:41:12 UTC
Based on your comment, I updated the link in the toolmap to this `[Muuri /
TiddlyTouch](http://tiddlytouch.tiddlyspot.com/)
<http://tiddlytouch.tiddlyspot.com/>` and thus erased the link to muritest
to avoid confusion.
BurningTreeC
2018-07-06 07:54:31 UTC
Post by David Gifford
Based on your comment, I updated the link in the toolmap to this `[Muuri
/ TiddlyTouch](http://tiddlytouch.tiddlyspot.com/)
<http://tiddlytouch.tiddlyspot.com/>` and thus erased the link to
muritest to avoid confusion.
Thank you David!

Simon
BurningTreeC
2018-07-06 08:04:59 UTC
Small Update: I've edited the first post with the link to the current
development tiddlyspot page

Have a nice weekend @all,

BTC
Dave
2018-07-08 02:57:03 UTC
Another feature I'd like to request is no justification

I don't know how hard it would be to do, but it would be nice to be able to
drag a medium sized tiddler into the top middle, and then if there are
smaller ones that can fit on either side they would. Unless I'm
understanding it wrong I think currently it can only either justify left or
right, but not in the middle. Or another way of saying it is to be able to
just drag them to any block of the grid,* or maybe just keep the auto
justification but have a way to override that and "pin" a tiddler to a
certain location*, kind of like how the width field starts empty, but then
gets written to when you change it (so have a location field).

Now that I'm thinking about it, it would also be nice to have a way to *set
a default tiddler width* instead of having them all start at the smallest
width.

Thanks for this wonderful plugin!!
BurningTreeC
2018-07-08 18:24:06 UTC
Post by Dave
[...]
Hi Dave,

thanks for your ideas, some of them I already plan to realize:

- pinning tiddlers so that they stay in their slot and cannot be dragged
until unpinned
- different sizes for each single tiddler

Would that already cover your "justification" idea? If not, could you
describe it a bit more detailed?

The default tiddler width is set by the "toggle columns" button in the page
controls section of the sidebar.
What would you want as default tiddler width?

all the best,
BTC
Dave
2018-07-08 21:43:55 UTC
Post by BurningTreeC
- pinning tiddlers so that they stay in their slot and cannot be
dragged until unpinned
- different sizes for each single tiddler
Would that already cover your "justification" idea? If not, could you
describe it a bit more detailed?
Yes, that's what I was thinking of.
The default tiddler width is set by the "toggle columns" button in the
page controls section of the sidebar.
What would you want as default tiddler width?
all the best,
BTC
Oh, okay, I see that now - I just hadn't figured that out. That's actually
better than I would have supposed :)
2018-07-08 23:10:23 UTC
Btc,

I would love to see a minmalist display of all tiles with or without titles.

If I have missed it in the current design please let me now.

This is because I see its use in meetings on large screens, or as post it notes, where the observers need not see tags, buttons etc

BurningTreeC
2018-07-09 06:51:43 UTC
Post by TonyM
Btc,
I would love to see a minmalist display of all tiles with or without titles.
If I have missed it in the current design please let me now.
This is because I see its use in meetings on large screens, or as post it
notes, where the observers need not see tags, buttons etc
That's coming soon, as I'm porting things over from the previous version
BurningTreeC
2018-07-09 17:27:29 UTC
Post by TonyM
Btc,
I would love to see a minmalist display of all tiles with or without titles.
If I have missed it in the current design please let me now.
This is because I see its use in meetings on large screens, or as post it
notes, where the observers need not see tags, buttons etc
Tiddler titles, controls, subtitles and tags can now be hidden with the
"eye" button in the sidebar

Tiddlers can be resized (per tiddler) by dragging left/right near their
right borders, still within the tiddler (it's a ~10px wide area)
Dave
2018-07-09 18:18:34 UTC
I re-imported the plugin, but it doesn't seem any different. Is there a
way to check if I imported correctly, like a version number or something?
BurningTreeC
2018-07-09 19:37:59 UTC
Post by Dave
I re-imported the plugin, but it doesn't seem any different. Is there a
way to check if I imported correctly, like a version number or something?
Sorry for the misunderstanding, I'm talking about the current development
version at http://muritest-reloaded.tiddlyspot.com ... see the added
comment in my first post

BTC
Dave
2018-07-09 22:58:34 UTC
Wow, that's cool! I'll upgrade to that once its out of development

One option would be for only the tiddler buttons (edit, close, close
others, etc) to be hidden, but reveal on hover-over, *but maintain
everything else* (esp the titles)
2018-07-10 00:27:13 UTC
Exciting

Thanks BTC
2018-07-10 16:36:41 UTC
Performance seems better?

Simplification of the interface is v. good.

Josiah
Post by BurningTreeC
[...]
Edit: The current demo/testing/development page is located at
http://muritest-reloaded.tiddlyspot.com
It uses the latest muuri development version because it brings some
benefits I want to use but the muuri release is still ahead.
Don't use this version for anything you'd like to behave stable. I intend
to constantly update this version so that we can gather ideas and see what
works best. I do as always welcome critique, ideas, suggestions and
bug-reports.
Currently MacOS users may get the Red Screen of DabadeeDabadoo - I will
fix that soon.
c u later alligator,
BTC
BurningTreeC
2018-07-11 06:42:24 UTC
Hi Josiah,
Post by @TiddlyTweeter
Performance seems better?
Yes, performance is indeed much better
Post by @TiddlyTweeter
Simplification of the interface is v. good.
That's a choice I want to keep - there are so many customizations for
tiddlywiki users can/are used to apply - I don't want to make that more
difficult/impossible through my own design choices

BTC
BurningTreeC
2018-07-11 06:44:12 UTC

are you getting any red screens of d?
2018-07-11 12:27:19 UTC
BTC

Yes. On fresh load from web in Firefox ESR 52. First initiation, RSOD. On
reload no problem.

I have NOT rigorously tested this. It may be related to a known problem
some plugins have with code on first run. BUT I don't have the competence
to be sure. What I do know is I have only seen the RSOD of first
initiation, not after.

Best
Josiah
Post by BurningTreeC
@TiddlyTweeter
are you getting any red screens of d?
BurningTreeC
2018-07-11 12:44:12 UTC
BTC
Yes. On fresh load from web in Firefox ESR 52. First initiation, RSOD. On
reload no problem.
I have NOT rigorously tested this. It may be related to a known problem
some plugins have with code on first run. BUT I don't have the competence
to be sure. What I do know is I have only seen the RSOD of first
initiation, not after.
Best
Josiah
Thanks Josiah,

do you remember the message that screen shows or are you able to reproduce
it and send me a screenshot of the message or the message from the
developer console?

BurningTreeC
2018-07-12 13:09:27 UTC
Ciao BTC
Its a "permission denied" on first load. Screenclip ...
Best wishes
J.
Thank you, I'll investigate the issue
2018-07-12 17:57:17 UTC
Update: FYI, I tested for that error on the latest Firefox & Chrome on
Windows. In neither does it occur. It may be the issue is limited to older
FF. (The error is on FF52 ESR)
Post by @TiddlyTweeter
Ciao BTC
2018-07-12 18:02:35 UTC
Ciao BTC

A bug on the test at http://muritest-reloaded.tiddlyspot.com

When you click through "cycle columns" till you reach 6 then click once
more you get the one column you should but the* cycle button disappears*.

BurningTreeC
2018-07-23 13:27:14 UTC
Ciao BTC
A bug on the test at http://muritest-reloaded.tiddlyspot.com
When you click through "cycle columns" till you reach 6 then click once
more you get the one column you should but the* cycle button disappears*.
Thanks, that bug is fixed!

About your issue with firefox-esr and the red javascript error-screen - I
won't be able to solve that as it seems to be a firefox bug. I hope that at
some point it gets fixed for firefox-esr (before dropping
extensions-support ;)

BTC
2018-07-23 13:31:56 UTC
Ciao BTC

Thanks!

The FF ESR problem is not, I think, worth the effort. Forget it. Partly my
fault for not clicking around in other version first. The ESR is currently
catching up with the main release so, it too, will move on.

Ciao BTC
Diego Mesa
2018-07-26 18:53:39 UTC
Hey BTC,

I think something like this might be cool for us to interactively specify
layouts:

https://www.layoutit.com/grid
BurningTreeC
2018-07-27 07:03:41 UTC
Hi Diego,
yes it's interesting. I think at the moment it's enough to be able to
resize tiddlers by dragging.
I'm also about to finish the story-saver which will also save the layout of
the tiddlers in the story so that their width gets reloaded when loading a
story.
I know it's not exactly the same but good enough for me

Now there are also many new keyboard shortcuts for story- and
tiddler-interaction, navigating to tiddlers, selecting tiddlers, editing,
closing, cloning ...
and an "action-popup" widget is coming so that we can open popups with the
keyboard... very handy to bring all kinds of dialogues up in front.

That's it for now, when I have these things implemented and cleaned up the
code, I'll release MuuriTouch and probably "SelectMode" as a separate
plugin or in combination with KeeBoord...

BTC
2018-07-28 14:40:53 UTC
Ciao BTC

On the latest test at http://muritest-reloaded.tiddlyspot.com/ I just want
to comment that ...

With reversion to 1 (either on plus click on 6 or on the 4 in 6+4) is very
interesting. I think it has good utility. I'm not sure every user would
understand it at first. But, with a bit of clicking, its obvious how it
works.

FYI I have one enormous screen that could do "6 + 6" (especially well with
titles muted). But maybe my use is a bit on the far side?

Just comments
2018-07-28 14:51:45 UTC
Ciao BTC
BTC: I'm also about to finish the story-saver which will also save the
layout of the tiddlers in the story so that their width gets reloaded when
I'm really glad to hear that. It would make easier forcing basic chosen
presentation on web.

IMO, Muuri is becoming an extremely good general layout tool.

When you a bit further on (I know its complicated & you need time :) I'd
like talk to you about how to tweak the CSS. For instance how to have
1-wide, full width, with no gaps, and then colour each tiddler in a river
differently, and maybe an up-down navigator (keyboard? up/down arrows).
That would already emulate other TW approaches but without having to have a
separate approach. I'm thinking Muuri can build quite a lot of needed
layouts within just one overall approach?

Just thoughts for now
DemoniWaari
2018-07-31 08:02:48 UTC
Hi,

This looks great! So nice to have multiple columns so that I do not have to
scroll all the time and it just looks *so good!*

A few notes / requests though:

- It would be nice to be able to freely arrange the tiddlers instead of
them being forced to be horizontally or vertically aligned, by this I mean
I'd like to have three columns for instance and then align tiddlers so that
I have three at the top and three at the left side. At the moment the fifth
tiddler I open is forced to be on the second row second column and I cannot
move it to be on the third row first column.
- I kinda miss having my sidebar open at all times, but if I do that
then it blocks ~half of the right most tiddler. It would be nice to have an
option to have it fixed and that the columns end at the sidebar. In the
experimental version the tiddlers block the sidebar, which is probably even
worse because I kinda need it from time to time.
- I have been using this with TiddlyDesktop but unfortunately multi
clicks and long presses do not work here. No idea where the issue is, but
maybe something you might want to know.
2018-07-31 20:50:04 UTC
I adore your Select Mode. I desperately want it. I can see it will be
amazing with i3 and xdotool.

I've tried importing all the right tiddlers necessary for select mode, but
I have failed. I had something working, since I could push "Y" to get a new
tiddler to come up, but it was definitely not functioning for me. Would you
be so kind as to outline exactly what tiddlers I need to get for all and
only the Select Mode? I will probably omit delete, since I'm not willing to
make mistakes there (even with a nag screen). It is somewhat uncommon for
me to clone a tiddler (but, I can guarantee I'm using Tiddlywiki all wrong
in many respects). The ability to edit and close is absolutely key to me
though. I'm hoping that my sidebar will still follow me around during my
navigation.
BurningTreeC
2018-08-02 15:58:09 UTC
@DemoniWaari @***@gmail.com

Thanks for your feedback!
I'm making a plugin with this functionality, should be ready the coming
days. I cannot tell yet which tiddlers you need in order for it to work.
With the plugin version it will be easier.

@DemoniWaari,
MuuriTouch on muritest-reloaded.tiddlyspot.com is the prerelese version
which works better than the previous one, it's more performant and more
stable. But it's not yet done.

The SelectMode functionality will be independent from MuuriTouch

@h0p3,
glad to see other i3 users here in the group :) - yes, it could be awesome
with i3 + xdotool ... although I'm now using sway (github.com/swaywm/sway)
which is for wayland, and xdotool doesn't work there.
I hope it gets ported somehow sometimes

BTC
BurningTreeC
2018-08-04 14:05:05 UTC
I've made a separate thread for SelectMode
here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/TiddlyWiki/GIwd6wAakYE