[tw] [TW5] Timestamp
Bob Flandard
2016-11-18 10:00:04 UTC
Hello,

Is there a method to insert the current date and time into a tiddler (in
the main text) and for it to remain fixed forever?

I tried the <<now>> macro but it refreshes on editing the tiddler (not sure
what that's useful for except as a clock)

Typically a single tiddler may have several instances of the time string.

Thanks, Bob
2016-11-18 10:18:11 UTC
It isn't exactly the same and there may be problems with it but the
simplest way is probably to use the value in the modified or created field.

You can just put {{!!created}} or {{!!modified}} and it will show the full
date and time, or if you want to specify a format you can use the view
widget and give the format like this:

<$view field='created' format=date template='0DD MMM YYYY, hh:0mm:0ss'/>
Bob Flandard
2016-11-18 12:15:22 UTC
Hi Jed,

Thanks for the suggestion, I probably didn't explain properly but neither
of these give a permanent time-stamp. The "created" field is fixed and the
"modified" field will change on edit. I'm just looking for a shortcut to
insert the current time and date (now) into the main text without having to
look at a clock and calendar and type the formatted data manually. There
may be any number of these (unique) time-stamps in a tiddler and they need
to be perpetual.

Regards, Bob
Sylvain Naudin
2016-11-18 15:31:50 UTC
Hi,

Have a look on this post :

[TW5] Macro for saving timestamp in field – problem
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tiddlywiki/rBFMyGenP5k/GBuZEoWzAwAJ

Cheers,
Sylvain
Bob Flandard
2016-11-18 15:41:00 UTC
Hi Sylvain,

I saw that post before I posted, but it just adds a field to the tiddler,
which is not what I desire.

Regards, Bob
2016-11-18 15:41:09 UTC
There's not a shortcut key like you might see in other apps.

What you could do is put a now somewhere convenient like in the sidebar
(e.g. <<now "YYYY-MM-DD hh:mm sss">>) and then copy and paste the date as
you needed.

Good luck,

Mark
Riz
2016-11-18 17:24:34 UTC
Are you looking for a solution like this? (See attached JSON). Basically it
gives you a button in your editor toolbar to insert current time to your
text.
2016-11-18 17:59:14 UTC
Well drat -- I just learned to make buttons 10 minutes ago, and was about
to put my new found knowledge to work ;-)

The main thing I could add, is that if the datestamp is something you use
all the time, you could steal one of the short-cut sequences from the other
lesser-used buttons and apply it to the new code (e.g. when was the last
time you needed a level 6 header?) . Cut the text out of the existing
shortcuts field in a shadow tiddler (e.g.
$:/core/ui/EditorToolbar/heading-6) and then replace it in the shortcut
field in Riz's ($:/core/ui/EditorToolbar/Time) tiddler. Then you could use
Ctl-6 to place your date stamp.

Mark
Bob Flandard
2016-11-18 18:12:31 UTC
Hi Mark,

I'm not sure what you're suggesting here as Riz's solution came with its
own button, so no need to hijack another (unless I'm missing some subtle
point, which is possible). Thanks for your help.

Regards, Bob
2016-11-18 19:35:29 UTC
I'm was talking about key strokes, so you wouldn't have to click on the
buttons. Some people like to keep their hands on the keyboard as they work
rather than interrupting to click on this or that.

Have fun,
Mark
Bob Flandard
2016-11-18 21:32:30 UTC
Hi Mark,

I'd missed that. I don't have the spare storage space to remember the
shortcuts for software and I like the extra exercise and variety of using
mouse and keyboard, you should see my rhs flexor carpi radialis and
extensor digitorum pair, quite something.

Regards, Bob
Bob Flandard
2016-11-18 18:08:46 UTC
Hi Riz,

Thanks very much, that worked perfectly and is rather elegant too. Your
work here is done!

Regards, Bob
jwd
2016-11-19 17:17:30 UTC
Oh, very nice. Thanks @Bob for asking the question, @Riz for the solution,
and @Mark for the suggestion to add a keyboard shortcut to that solution.
That will save me some addition of date stamps that I've been using instead
of full journal tiddlers; the repetitious entry of which has been starting
to bug me.
tony
2016-11-20 00:40:17 UTC
2016-11-19T16:27:40-08:00 I'd like to echo all the thank you's to everyone on the thread as I've been waiting for a static datestamp ever since the editor toolbar came into being.

Importing @riz json tiddler did the trick with a slight modification to the date format per my preference (text=<<now 'YYYY-0MM-0DDT0hh:0mm:0ssTZD'>>)

I had been using vim with the it's all text plug-in to insert a date stamp and more recently came across this great toggle for the editor tool bar via TonGerner
http://tw5bookmarklets.tiddlyspot.com/ that allows a bookmarklets to be used in the TextArea tiddler body via StephanHradek with a modified datestamp bookmarklet.

So now there are three ways: with the editor toolbar, with a bookmarklet, or via vim for long edits

The nice thing about having @riz date stamp on the editor tool bar is that this current tw5 5.1.13 works on mobile as I am typing this on iOS via TWMobile by Chris Hunt
https://appsto.re/us/gwaXw.i which was last updated in 2014

I don't know how long these software tools will last and work with each other but at least data will be date stamped for preservation. Happy, happy

Best,
tony