[tw] [Thoughts] Using TW5 as Browser-Based Presentation-Tool
'Alexander Eckert' via TiddlyWiki
2016-05-31 18:16:28 UTC
Hi,

I knew that I flooded this forum since last week end, but I got some ideas
for the last two years. One idea is to use TW5 as a presentation-tool. I
know, that some people already got this idea and built some examples, but
my vision is much simpler. I think the standard is design shouldn't be
changed to much. My idea got a educational purpose, because I want to put
all my presentations into one file and maybe change between them.

In my opinion the standard tiddler could be a single chart, if you reduce
the SideBar through the button in the top right corner. Only some things
should be done to use TW5 as a presentation tool:

- Auto adjust font size to fit the computer screen in
browser-fullscreen-mode (maybe with CSS or ViewTemplate)
- Add button to return to tiddler, which called the current shown
tiddler (through ViewTemplates and maybe parameters)
- Add keyboard-shortcuts (Arrow Up/Down, Arrow Right/Left) to go through
presentation

If this three features could be implemented TW5 could be a very nice
browser-based presentation-tool. I'll try to get those features going. If
You got any ideas including further features or methods of implementing,
please let me know.

Kind regards,

Alex
'Alexander Eckert' via TiddlyWiki
2016-05-31 18:58:35 UTC
Too adjust font size I think

font-size: 1vh;

could be a solution for stylesheet
2016-05-31 19:10:57 UTC
After further code-research.

tc-tiddler-frame should max size and weight 100 with padding.
font-size of title and body should be adjusted with vh and vw.
2016-05-31 21:55:00 UTC
OK, after some coding this seems to work in alpha-status, but the
scroll-event should be change.

Anyone know how to change the $:/core/modules/utils/dom/scroller.js to edit
the target point?

If the new tiddler is below or above the current tiddler the scroller
should stop later to see the whole new tiddler. Atm the top or bottom are
not shown.
Jan
2016-06-01 00:49:37 UTC
Hi Alex,
A Sildeshow is very intersting Project.
There is a very nice Example done by Birthe
http://showroom.tiddlyspot.com/ which has some very nice features for
the organisation and creation of slideshows. It comes with a
Moderatorpane in a PopUp
From the point of view of design Jeremy's
http://tiddlywiki.com/talkytalky/ is great.
Please upload it somewhere if make a theme in which you manage to
accomplish what you intend.
Jan

2016-06-01 07:55:40 UTC
Hi Jan,

thanks for your answer. Both examples looks fine, but I like the actual
design very much. Its simple and clear, and I like the scrolling effect. I
prefer seeing lower end of the previous Tiddler above.

If I reach my goal I'll post that plugin.

1) The scrolling effect could be solved with the Plugin TopStoryView
from felixhayashi (https://github.com/felixhayashi/TW5-TopStoryView). I'll
set this as a dependency.

2) The variable Button to return to the calling tiddler should be done with
tm-add-field and the FieldManglerWidget, where the name of the calling
tiddler is added to the field "calling-tiddler" of the opened tiddler.
Post by Jan
Hi Alex,
A Sildeshow is very intersting Project.
There is a very nice Example done by Birthe
http://showroom.tiddlyspot.com/ which has some very nice features for the
organisation and creation of slideshows. It comes with a Moderatorpane in a
PopUp
From the point of view of design Jeremy's
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/700df2c0-b040-4b27-a210-4a6b5f962a9d%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/700df2c0-b040-4b27-a210-4a6b5f962a9d%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
'Alexander Eckert' via TiddlyWiki
2016-06-01 08:29:32 UTC
OK, next step done =)

The "Next" and the "Back"-Button could be performed with:

<$fieldmangler tiddler="Next Tiddler">
<$button>
<$action-setfield $tiddler="Next Tiddler" tiddler-calling={{!!title}}/>
<$action-navigate $to="Next Tiddler"/>
Next
</$button>

</$fieldmangler>

and

<$button>
<$action-navigate $to={{!!tiddler-calling}}/>
Back
</$button>

=)
Post by 'Alexander Eckert' via TiddlyWiki
Hi Jan,
thanks for your answer. Both examples looks fine, but I like the current
design very much. Its simple and clear, and I like the scrolling effect. I
prefer seeing the lower end of the previous Tiddler above.
Post by Jan
Hi Alex,
A Sildeshow is very intersting Project.
There is a very nice Example done by Birthe
http://showroom.tiddlyspot.com/ which has some very nice features for
the organisation and creation of slideshows. It comes with a Moderatorpane
in a PopUp
From the point of view of design Jeremy's
2016-06-01 14:31:20 UTC
I don't think you need the fieldmangler widget for that. I think it is
needed for messages but not for action widgets.

For navigation you may find the 'before' and 'after' filter operators
useful. If you want to look at the code I used for the forward and backward
buttons in my Photo Gallery things may help. I haven't gotten them up as a
plugin yet but you can see them if you look at the pet diary I am working
on here <http://ooktech.com/jed/ExampleWikis/PetDiary/>. The macro that
makes the buttons is in this tiddler
<http://ooktech.com/jed/ExampleWikis/PetDiary/#%24%3A%2Fplugins%2Finmysocks%2FPhoto%20Gallery%2FgalleryTemplateHeader>
'Birthe C' via TiddlyWiki
2016-06-01 14:56:01 UTC
Or maybe Matales example http://listops.tiddlyspot.com/

Birthe
'Alexander Eckert' via TiddlyWiki
2016-06-03 19:29:43 UTC
Hi Jed, Hi Birthe,

thanks for your solution. I'll have a closer look at them after finishing
the first steps. So far my example works, but maybe is not the best
solution. Atm the keyboard-shortcut is a bigger problem (in my opinion).
For days I tried to add Keyboard-Support for this ActionWidgets (right =>
next slide, left => last slide). Unfortunately I did not found much
information about this. I'll continue trying, but if you got ideas, please
let me know.

Kind regards,

Alex
Or maybe Matabeles example http://listops.tiddlyspot.com/
Birthe
2016-06-03 20:44:49 UTC
Hi Alex
For days I tried to add Keyboard-Support for this ActionWidgets (right => next slide, left => last slide). Unfortunately I did not found much information about this. I'll continue trying, but if you got ideas, please let me know.
The problem here is that there is currently no general support for tracking the currently selected/focussed tiddler in the story view, and thus no context for the next/previous handling.

In the specific case of the zoomin storyview you may be able to work around it by treating the most recently navigated tiddler as the currently selected tiddler for focus tracking purposes.

Best wishes

Jeremy
2016-06-04 08:11:38 UTC
While it wouldn't track when you manually scroll you could have a state
tiddler that lists the current tiddler for the presentation and when you
want to go forward or back you use the action navigate widget. When I get
into work in a few hours I will take a quick look at it.
2016-06-04 09:57:46 UTC
Well, using a state tiddler can take care of managing which tiddler is the
current tiddler in the presentation, but now I am having trouble getting
the keyboard input. For the keyboard widget something needs to have focus
and so far that is proving to be a problem. Also the left and right buttons
aren't working for me. I may be able to make something where you click a
button or text box to give it focus and then use some keys to navigate from
there, but it isn't a very elegant solution.

I think that I made a mistake with how I made the keyboard widget trigger
action widgets. The way it is now every action widget inside the keyboard
widget tags is used, so if you want to let the same thing have focus and
use two separate action widget based keyboard actions than you have to be
careful and not everything is possible.

I will have to fix the keyboard widget before I can do this the way I was
hoping to. It may be a while.
Thomas Elmiger
2016-06-05 15:13:30 UTC
Hi folks!

I used TW for presentations myself and guess what I missed
 keyboard/presenter support.

I didn’t have much time, so I made tag-lists and kind of a self-referential footer to copy-paste. And used my mouse. – I am sure, there are better ways to do this, but maybe it is worth the time for you to take a look at my primitive (but working) example for next page link: http://wkh.thomas-elmiger.ch/#JavaScript – a back link would be possible too, I guess.
Good luck! Thomas
'Alexander Eckert' via TiddlyWiki
2016-06-06 12:53:14 UTC
Hi Jeremy,
Hi Jed,
Hi Thomas,

@Jeremy: Thanks for your answer. After testing the zoomin storyview this
seems to be my workaround. Now I'm trying to set focus und for that I have
to dig deeper in the manual.

@Jed: My first thought was a lil widget at the Sidebar, but I want to hide
the sidebar. This solution wont work for me. I'm able to set variable
buttons to open previos tiddler after I wirte the name of the calling
tiddler into a field of the current tiddler. Maybe this mechanism will work
to get focus of the current tiddler, but atm I dont know how. I'll try this
week.

@Thomas: Thanks for your example. This problems seems to be a bit older =).
If I'm able to get focus und use Buttons in zoomin storyview I'll let u
know and upload an example.

Best regards,

Alex

2016-06-06 13:40:33 UTC
It would be awesome if someone got a working KeyboardWidget-example with
focus-settings and can post this. I need to see some syntax to understand
this mechanism.

Best regards,

Alex

2016-06-06 17:26:58 UTC
I will try to track down my french flashcards I made and post it tomorrow.
It was what I made the updated keyboard widget for so it should have a
reasonable example.
Dave
2016-06-06 19:30:17 UTC
Here's a recent thread on TW5 as a presentation tool

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/TiddlyWiki/presentation/tiddlywiki/9FsMLX3ZQsE/y7dtSSW7AQAJ

I use a modified version for patient education in my clinic. I haven't
read this current thread all the way through but I'd love to be able to add
the keyboard navigation.

Dave
'Alexander Eckert' via TiddlyWiki
2016-06-08 18:41:04 UTC
After days of "Trial and Error" I recognized, that I don't know enough
about the internal structure of TW5 to get this working. Unfortunately I
dont fully understand those few Keyboard-Examples.I think this project is
paused until further notice.