[tw5] XML in TiddlyWiki
2018-12-02 00:55:49 UTC
Folks,

I have used toodledo.com and other online tools which export their contents
as xml.

You may be aware that xml uses a simple system for representing data eg
<startdate>0</startdate> and it can be nested (see tasks/task below)

It seems to me it should be easy to take any given xml and use a method to
parse it into tiddlers and their fields. If a field name needs to be
changed a search and replace should "fix the data"

See also the locations, whose id is stored in the tasks. We should be able
parse these (in a separate process if necessary) such that we have
location tiddlers that can be linked to or looked up from the task tiddler.

Basically I think we need to chose which field to use as the title and
which other fields to import or include in the text.

With a little careful design it should be simple to provide the tools to do
this, and open a great deal of power, especially if we can also generate
the xml for tiddlers for export. It need not be interactive. For example if
I could say something like this
xmllist sourcetiddler items=task title=title text=note fieldfilter="[all[]]
-[prefix[time]]"
from sourcetiddler extract <task> items using their title field as the
tiddler title, place note into text, and make a field with its value for
all others defined by fieldfilter.

*Has anyone looked into this or seen any activity on it?*

<locations>
</locations>

<tasks>
<task>
<id>324412672</id>
<date_added>1368964800</date_added>
<date_modified>1399682850</date_modified>
<via>7</via>
<parent>0</parent>
<order>0</order>
<title>Coaxial cable to test voxson</title>
<tag></tag>
<folder>3154339</folder>
<context>0</context>
<goal>0</goal>
<location>23515</location>
<startdate>0</startdate>
<starttime>0</starttime>
<duedate>0</duedate>
<remind>0</remind>
<duedatemod>0</duedatemod>
<duetime>0</duetime>
<completed>0</completed>
<repeatfrom>0</repeatfrom>
<repeat></repeat>
<priority>0</priority>
<length>0</length>
<timeron>0</timeron>
<timer>0</timer>
<status>0</status>
<star>0</star>
<note>Tv to voxson after fix voxson
Only front right working with any speaker
Front left worked momentarily.</note>
</task>
</tasks>
2018-12-02 03:25:30 UTC
In terms of inspiration re the code, perhaps you could look at the evernote
importer plugin. I believe it imports enex files, which are actually just
another (I think) XML file.

Good luck
-- Mark
Post by TonyM
[...]
Perhaps the ability to map an incoming "filedname"'s to another fiels name
would also be important eg parent=master would take the content of
<parent>parent name</parent> and put it in the field master.
2018-12-02 13:59:05 UTC

Just wondering IF this could fit with the the XLSX plugin in some way?
https://tiddlywiki.com/editions/xlsx-utils/

J.
2018-12-02 14:03:34 UTC

This also might enable easier import of TIDDLYTOOLMAP to TW. TiddlyToolmap
has OPML export that is pseudo XML. ???

J. x
2018-12-04 23:15:36 UTC
Folks,

Thanks for your suggestions. They each seem to result in me running down
multiple rabbit holes, which is better than nothing, but it highlights the
value of having an actual xml solution for TiddlyWiki

I will look into XML and
WebServices https://www.w3schools.com/xml/xml_services.asp

It is possibly all out of my depth, but I will look around and consider it
with a bit more knowledge.

Thanks
Tony