[tw] I cannot get tiddlywiki to save ever - with any browser even firefox
walter byrd
2015-08-23 17:07:32 UTC
I am new to tiddlywiki.

I am running debian, I usually use Google Chrome Version 41.0.2272.76
(64-bit).

I have also tried Midori, and Iceweasel 31.5 (Iceweasel is Firefox).

I have been googling, and looking through these forums. Apparently this is
long-time problem with tiddlywiki.

I have tried saving in many different ways. No matter what, when I reload
the file, my changes are gone. I have right-clicking and save as, I have
tried "save page" from the browser. I have tried the circled check mark. No
matter what, the wiki will not save.

So far, I am extremely disappointed with tiddlywiki.

Seems to me, being able to reliably save is very *very *big deal. I don't
want to spend all day doing some kind of work, and then find it did not
save.

Being able to save with only one particular browser (and I cannot even do
that now) is not good enough. I do not always have my choice of browser.
Also, I like being able to use the browser I want to use.

Saving is crucial. Saving should be easy, and reliable, and work with any
browser.

Because I am new, I am trying to keep an open mind, but this may be a show
stopper.
2015-08-23 21:24:08 UTC
Hi Walter

I'm sorry you've been having problems with TiddlyWiki.

I am new to tiddlywiki.
Post by walter byrd
I am running debian, I usually use Google Chrome Version 41.0.2272.76
(64-bit).
What does happens under Chrome when you click the circled check mark? The
browser should automatically download the modified version of the file, so
that the new copy ends up in your downloads folder. You'll need to locate
the file and drag it back into the browser to verify that your changes are
saved. Can you let me know what is happening when you try it?

The only thing that I can think of that would prevent Chrome from saving
changes in this way is if you have a browser extension that is interfering
with TiddlyWiki. It may be worth disabling your extensions before trying it.
Post by walter byrd
I have also tried Midori, and Iceweasel 31.5 (Iceweasel is Firefox).
The most convenient way to work with TiddlyWiki is to use Firefox with the
TiddlyFox add-on. Does that work for you?

Post by walter byrd
long-time problem with tiddlywiki.
Getting people to understand how to use TiddlyWiki is sometimes tricky
because it's so different than most web applications, but I don't think
there's any long-time problems with it.
Post by walter byrd
I have tried saving in many different ways. No matter what, when I reload
the file, my changes are gone. I have right-clicking and save as, I have
tried "save page" from the browser. I have tried the circled check mark. No
matter what, the wiki will not save.
The other things that you tried ("right-clicking and save as" and ""save
page" from the browser") will not work; they just save a copy of the
original file.

Post by walter byrd
Seems to me, being able to reliably save is very *very *big deal. I don't
want to spend all day doing some kind of work, and then find it did not
save.
Clearly that is true, but let me reassure you that TiddlyWiki works very
well; I think there must be something pretty basic going wrong here,
possibly due to lack of clarity with the instructions, or with an errant
extension as discussed above.
Post by walter byrd
Being able to save with only one particular browser (and I cannot even do
that now) is not good enough. I do not always have my choice of browser.
Also, I like being able to use the browser I want to use.
There are many options for different ways to use TiddlyWiki. Using it in
the single file configuration does indeed put some specific requirements on
the browser, but the Node.js configuration allows you to use any browser.
Post by walter byrd
Saving is crucial. Saving should be easy, and reliable, and work with any
browser.
I'd love it if we could make saving easier. The problem is that browsers
were not designed for this usage.

Because I am new, I am trying to keep an open mind, but this may be a show
Post by walter byrd
stopper.
Don't give up! It's either a documentation issue, or interference from a
browser extension. TiddlyWiki works fine when used correctly.

Best wishes

Jeremy.
Post by walter byrd
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/511ab682-0899-4a2e-8877-ef0f0fed19a7%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/511ab682-0899-4a2e-8877-ef0f0fed19a7%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
mailto:***@gmail.com
2015-08-23 21:30:09 UTC
Hi Walter

By the way, you might find this screencast helpful:

It shows you how to save changes in Chrome and Firefox. If you're getting
different behaviour than you see in the video then we must conclude that
there's some problem with your configuration.

Best wishes

Jeremy.
walter byrd
2015-08-23 22:47:24 UTC
Post by Jeremy Ruston
What does happens under Chrome when you click the circled check mark?
The browser should automatically download the modified version of the file,
so that the new copy ends up in your downloads folder. You'll need to
locate the file and drag it back into the browser to verify that your
changes are saved. Can you let me know what is happening when you try it?
When I save it chrome, it wants to name empty (1).html. I specify
empty.html and it asks if I want to overwrite. I click yes. The file saves,
but when I bring it back up, my changes are gone.
The most convenient way to work with TiddlyWiki is to use Firefox with the
TiddlyFox add-on. Does that work for you?
Yes. I finally got it to work with firefox extension.
2015-08-23 22:55:49 UTC
Hi Walter

Post by walter byrd
empty.html and it asks if I want to overwrite. I click yes. The file saves,
but when I bring it back up, my changes are gone.
Just to be clear, you're not seeing your changes in the "Recent" tab of the
sidebar?
Post by Jeremy Ruston
TiddlyFox add-on. Does that work for you?
Yes. I finally got it to work with firefox extension.
Do you have any idea what was going wrong for you? If there's an issue with
the documentation I'd like to fix it for the benefit of others.

Best wishes

Jeremy.
mailto:***@gmail.com
walter byrd
2015-08-24 20:52:04 UTC
Jeremy,

I gave Google Chrome another try.

When I clicked the circled check mark, it wanted to save as "empty
(1).html" but I specified "empty.html" it asked if wanted to overwrite, I
clicked yes.

It saved, and I shut the tab.

I brought it back up in Chrome, and this time my changes had been saved.

I made some more changes, tried saving it, and bringing it back again. I
got the same results - it worked.

So now it seems to be working.

I don't know what happened before. I must have done something wrong.

Sorry about the trouble.

Walter
Hi Walter
Birthe C
2015-08-23 22:19:27 UTC
Hi Walter

Arlen Beiler made TiddlyChrome, you can read about it here
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/tiddlywiki/TW5$20ARlen$20Beiler/tiddlywiki/nKxU_ixVKTI/jQUC5i5LJ-YJ.
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/tiddlywiki/TW5$20ARlen$20Beiler/tiddlywiki/nKxU_ixVKTI/jQUC5i5LJ-YJ>

I have been using Firefox for most work, but find that I am using Chrome
more now with TiddlyChrome.

Birthe