[tw] [TW5] Best up-to-date & stable data visualization plugin (e.g. json) for charts?
NT
2016-09-27 23:33:41 UTC
Hi there. I was looking for some viz plugins and thought this should be an
easy task.

But I found that the d3 plugin is still a proof of concept and other
plugins are outdated, for TWc, experimental, without tw5 docs, or not made
for data charts.

So I am looking for just one data visualization technology - probably in
form of a TW5 plugin.
It should be
* stable - beta is ok, but please not experimental
* with docs for setup and usage in TW5
and optionally
* with support for representation of external json tiddlers
* and short, easy to use syntax

With chart I mean things like bar chart, pie chart, line chart and so on.

I would be very pleased, if there are any recommendations around :-)
THX
David Gifford
2016-09-28 02:06:14 UTC
That d3 plugin got me really excited about TiddlyWiki 5. There was talk of
making plugins for various data visualizations. But to my knowledge they
never materialized. Let's hope someone takes up the challenge.

Dave
NT
2016-09-28 07:07:40 UTC
Hm, so in the end I am right - there is not a single working chart plugin
out there??
This would be a pity, especially with tw5 as such a powerful technology
underneath...
Any more hints?
2016-09-28 08:06:27 UTC
I have made a few things using both d3 and Snap.SVG for data visualization,
but I don't think any of it is even in the beta stage yet. If you come up
with a good list of requirements than I may make that my next project. I
think that my Snap.SVG plugin <http://ooktech.com/jed/ExampleWikis/SnapSVG/>
is a bit too ambitious without some help at least on the UI side of things
so starting smaller would be a good idea. The tiny bit I did with the d3
plugin is here <http://ooktech.com/jed/ExampleWikis/d3plugin/>.
NT
2016-09-28 11:56:30 UTC
Jed, thanks! Yes I've found your work before, but it looked experimental -
as I told.
Now, I am thinking about working on d3 integration in tw5 as well. I'll
figure out that possibility during October, it's not for sure a.t.m. In
this case, will there be a private way to reach you?

So really guys, there is *no working data chart solution* available for
tw5, currently - *despite of d3??*
Albert
2016-09-28 17:17:00 UTC
I'm in the same situation that David, I would love to port some kind of
charting library (like plotlyjs) but don't have the knowledge to do so.

5.1.13 has implemented a lot of plugins that improve usability for
non-programmers, I think this is very useful and can contribute to grow the
community. A solid charting plugin would be a killer!
2016-09-28 17:27:19 UTC
My biggest problem for making a plugin like that is that I am used to
making my own tools and can throw together exactly what I want in a
situation. I have found that this actually makes me very bad at figuring
out what would be useful as a general purpose tool because I always assume
that if I need something I don't have I can just make something new. So if
you want something like this the place to start would be a good
requirements document. A well written requirements document greatly reduces
the amount of development time needed.
NT
2016-09-28 23:04:43 UTC
Jed, I totally understand your straight forward way of working and the
problems to make something more general for other people. I know, it's a
very different thing. You are right, a requirements document would be the
right thing here, at least. If I think d3 would be the best way to go I
probably would make up my mind about requirements. But I am not at this
point, already.
For some reason you are keen to solve charting with d3. Why? I mean I have
no clue about alternatives and maybe your reasons are good - just want to
know.
Why not all the others that crossed my way like
* raphael.js
* graphviz
* vis.js
* ...
Is d3 most powerful, most easy to integrate, most spreaded technology?
Sorry, no clue and time for research now.
Indeed I'll have a look back just on sunday, because I'll be busy until
then.
Would be nice to get some more info in the meantime. Thanks to all.
Albert
2016-09-29 07:42:35 UTC
Hi NT, I did a lot of research on charting libraries. By far, the most
complete is: https://plot.ly/javascript/ (MIT license)

It would be awesome to have the power of plotly in TW... !

Reards,
Shane Leonard
2017-01-17 20:03:21 UTC
Hi all,

I am working on a plot.ly plugin for TiddlyWiki, and just wanted to check
if anyone in this group has already made any progress in this respect. I am
new to TW5 plugin development and there are some quirks about plotly
specifically, so if you have any wise words, I'm all ears. I'll be starting
a new thread for this topic as well, so if you're interested, you can
follow along there (I'll post the link here shortly).

Best,
Shane
Shane Leonard
2016-09-29 01:25:46 UTC
I am not sure what gave you that impression, I made a single demo using d3
before moving on to play with other toys. The reason was, as always,
because it was there and I could.