[tw] [TW5] Another way to make multiple tag-like fields
Jed Carty
2016-05-22 17:56:16 UTC
I know that there have been other implementations of this, but I think most
of them use javascript. I have been gone for a while so if I missed someone
already doing this I am sorry.

Using the new(ish) listops widget and the existing tags macros I made some
things that let you use any field like the tags field.
I also added some configuration (a tab in the conrol panel) and a view
template so that you can have the contents of the other tag-like fields
listed in the view template like tags are.
I haven't added the interface to the editing mode yet, so the fields are
listed a normal fields.
If you make a field foo and use it as a tag-like field and click on a tag
pill bar from the field foo the drop down menu shows all the tidders with
bar in their foo field the same way as if you were using the tag field.
This is separate from the tag field so if you have a tag bar and bar in the
field foo they won't be connected.

There aren't the tags and tagging operators, to get the equavilent of the
tags[] operator for the field foo use list[!!foo], to get the equavilent to
the tagging operator using the foo field and the bar tag use
[bar]listed[foo]

I am still not at home so have a dropbox link instead of a normal url. When
I get home later I will pack it as a plugin and probably add some more
options.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/2j4326k9mispk41/GenericFieldsAsTags.html?dl=0
2016-05-22 22:56:17 UTC
I made some improvements. Now you can edit the alternate fields the same
way as the tags field. The drop downs listing existing items don't work
correctly yet and all of the inputs for a single tiddler use the same
temporary tiddler. Type in the text box to add a tag and you will see what
I mean.
Other than that it functions correctly. I haven't packaged it as a plugin
yet but there are only a few tiddlers if you want to take the code and play
with it. I will hopefully get the code on github and package it all as a
plugin soon.

I am not sure if this should go in the core or not. It is useful but while
it is very similar to how the normal tags field is handled there are some
changes that would either require some small bits of duplicate code or some
small changes to the existing tags code. It shouldn't hurt much in the way
of backwards compatibility but tags are such an important part of
tiddlywiki I am not sure how much I trust it.

Also the list operator doesn't act on the input values the way I expected,
so [all[]list[!!foo]] only lists what is in the field foo of the current
tiddler, this means that I don't have a clean way to list all items in the
other fields.

Any ideas, suggestions or questions?
David Gifford
2016-05-23 00:39:25 UTC
Hi Jed

Oh, had I only had this before I started my big Gospels project
http://giffmex.org/gospels.bubbles.html

I haven't played with it, but I have it bookmarked and it looks like a
really great tweak of TiddlyWiki. There are many times when I would like to
have multiple categories of tags.

Dave
Danielo Rodríguez
2016-09-01 13:48:48 UTC
Post by Jed Carty
I made some improvements. Now you can edit the alternate fields the same
way as the tags field.
How?
2016-05-23 06:23:54 UTC
Did the Jedi master just solve one of the BIG ones in a really elegant
way!??

Must investigate this thoroughly.

@Jed - after a very quick glance I'm wondering about;

- A name for the tag-like things ("semantic tags", "s-tags",
"JedTags"... ;-)
- *Search* for the tag-like things.
- Option to *hide* the resulting field from view (This is a big wish.)
- Would this solution make it possible to totally replace the normal
tags field with this? I mean to make the normal tags field be a special
case of the general whatever-we-call-'em-fields? So that managing and
manipulating tags fields and tags are done in the same way for every
instance.

Very exciting!

For anyone interested in the subject, here are some references to earlier
discussions, solutions etc:

- Tobias' lookup-fields (or relationship-fields) #1324
<https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/issues/1324>
- Allow for the tag and tagging filter to specify a different field#1989
<https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/issues/1989>
- A problem description
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tiddlywiki/6sCr_qF0Mxg/N1YKfxXxDgAJ>
with a "reversed take" on field name/value (by me) and a solution
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tiddlywiki/6sCr_qF0Mxg/fJkDqUD0DgAJ> by
Tobias.
- Thoughts on the concept of Tags and Tagging
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/tiddlywiki/iNVgY_NdVTQ/25xJhGoCPvUJ>
- Older thread
<https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!searchin/tiddlywiki/semantic$20tagging/tiddlywiki/YCqfv30JQNs/RI78-Z57dxYJ>
with input from Jeremy
- Tobias write-up
<http://tobibeer.github.io/tb5/#Searching%20In%20Tiddler%20Fields> of a
Stephan Hraded approach for searching fields
- Search By Keywords Tab
<http://tobibeer.github.io/tb5/#Search%20By%20Keywords%20Tab> - another
write-up from Tobias,

2016-05-23 08:46:13 UTC
I can't take too much credit here since the big enabling thing for this is
the action-listops widget. If that didn't work as nicely as it does than I
would have had much more trouble.

Mat,

They should have some name to show they are a more general thing but I have
no idea what to call them. JedTags isn't very easy to say...

A search shouldn't be hard to implement but since [list[!!foo]] ignores the
input it may require something less elegant than I would like.

I can hide the fields in view mode, hiding them in edit mode is possible
but will require some more work. At the moment I haven't modified anything
in the core but I don't think I can go much farther without that.

I have been looking at what would be required to make this be how all tails
(*ta*gs-*i*n-*l*imbo) are handled. I think that this is one step toward
making all the fields in a tiddler polymorphic, which I think would be an
important improvement for future versions. So far the biggest thing lacking
for just using this instead of the existing tags field is there I don't
know how to get the equivalent of the tagging operator for non-tag fields.
I think that this was figured out using the action-listops widget so I will
look at that.
Backwards compatibility is the only problem with implementing this in the
core in place of how tags are done now. I am not certain I can change the
tags field portion of the code to be completely consistent with the new
method without breaking some existing projects. It should be minor, but
tags are important so I need to look closely at the code before I can
consider a pull request to the core. Adding this along side the existing
tags field implementation would be possible, but would require some
duplicate code in the core which I would like to avoid.

So, if you want to use this instead of tags for all of your future
projects, there should be no huge problems, it is just not currently
polished. The core will require some more thought though.
2016-05-23 12:06:59 UTC
I made a lot of updates. There aren't many changes in functionality but
there should be some huge improvements in usability. You can set which
fields you want to use as alternate tag fields globally and you can set a
different default color for the tag pills in each field. There is a list in
the default tiddler that describes what works and what I am still planning
on doing. There will probably be other things added to the plan section and
requests are welcome. If I missed something that was already requested let
me know.

As a nice side effect, if you use this and put <<EditTagLikeList tags
Tags>> in a tiddler it will give you a tag editor in view mode. I remember
someone requested that before.

The demo is now here <http://ooktech.com/jed/ExampleWikis/GenericTagFields/>.
It isn't a plugin yet because I want to do some more polishing before I
release that. I suggest that you wait until I package it as a plugin before
using it for anything too important.
2016-05-23 14:00:37 UTC
I have a feeling (...actually, I *know*) this will become extremely useful!

Some points;

You talk about (and have implemented - yay!) global such fields but the
more fields one have the more likely it is that one will want local
control, I think.

In my very recently released VarsFields <http://varsfields.tiddlyspot.com/>
thing I included an (optional) editview template that hides the duplicate
at bottom that also appear above the text area. I can think of ways to
solve it without an overwrite though; the tricky bit is to target the
correct list element in the listing of thefields. But the special fields
can be named with some never-seen prefix that puts them first or last in
the list. The one hides as many list items as there are special fields.
When the name of the field(s) is typed otu, the prefix is removed behind
the scenes. Reversed for when the field is created.

For tag icons, Matabele is the guru. (...hm... how about pure icon based
fields, including the label? Any practical value? I have no idea.)

(For later: Might the idea to use tagpills as tiddlerbundles somehow be
intergated here? So one can drag'n drop multiple tiddlers at once using the
tag as handle?)

BTW, maybe any of these posts by wizard Tobias is of value for something.
They seem related in that they're about managing extra fields, I figure:
* Search by Keywords tab
<http://tobibeer.github.io/tb5/#Search%20By%20Keywords%20Tab>
* Filter operator for "list contains an item or any / all items of another
list" #1216 <https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/issues/1216>

2016-05-23 13:48:09 UTC
Now the custom tag colors should work the same as with normal tags. There
is also now a setting that lets you use icons or images, or just any
wikified text, as the tag or as the label displayed for the field. The
second part doesn't work in the normal tags field, only in the new ones and
it must be turned on for each field individually in the settings.

The demo is still here
<http://ooktech.com/jed/ExampleWikis/GenericTagFields/>.
2016-05-23 14:45:36 UTC
The macros TagLikeList and EditTagLikeList are the view and edit parts of
what I made. If you just put <<TagLikeList foo Foo>> it will display the
contents of the foo field in the current tiddler like it was tags with the
label Foo. <<EditTagLikeList foo Foo>> will do the same thing but it is the
editing part. They are exactly what is used for the global portions so they
should act the same way.

<<TagLikeList foo Foo "" True>> will wikifi the items in the list so you
can use icons or images or whatever you want. I may add an optional
argument for the display template to use if you want something other than
the default tag pill.

I need to work on my tiddler tools
<http://ooktech.com/jed/ExampleWikis/TiddlerTools/> generic search so it
can work with these other fields. But it probably requires a lot of work
anyway. The action-listops widget should simplify a lot of what it does.
I think that the contains operator is going to be very useful but it is a
bit specific for what I need now. I can get a list of tiddlers that have
the tag foo in field bar using [[foo]listed[bar]], what I need is the
equalvilent of [all[]tags[]]. [all[]listed[!!bar]] only gives the results
from the current tiddler and ignores the all[] part. Once I get a solution
to that than I can make using the alternate fields identical to using the
tags field. After I have that I am going to worry about updating tiddler
tools to use them for advanced searching.
Matabele
2016-05-23 15:22:20 UTC
Hi Jed

It should be possible to modify the existing filters designed for the tags
field, so as to handle any field containing a list. The hurdle will be
maintaining backward compatibility.

A syntax something like tag:field[mytag] and tagging:field[] might be
acceptable (with default field = 'tags'.) When I looked at it, some of the
other cases were more difficult.

regards
2016-05-23 15:49:06 UTC
I was evidently unclear with my points; but actually, never mind. I'll
clarify at a later point, theyre not important now.

using [[foo]listed[bar]], what I need is the equalvilent of [all[]tags[]].
[all[]listed[!!bar]] only gives the results from the current tiddler and
ignores the all[] part.
maybe

[all[]get[demo]]

...?

2016-05-23 15:50:25 UTC
I meant "bar". Who the hell wants a "demo" when you can get a whole bar.

2016-05-23 16:48:19 UTC
Matabele,

Using the existing names like that may be the way to go but there are
things specific to how the tags field is handled behind the scenes that
would prevent just pointing the same code at a different field from
working. Tags are stored in comma separated lists and there is some
processing done whenever you look at or change the the text of the field to
switch between the forms.

I would like to change the listed[] operator to act on the list of input
titles instead of only a single title since it is a more general solution
but I am not sure what that would break.

And for using rexexp[], the problem isn't searching. I need a list of every
unique item listed in the demo field of all tiddlers so I can build a list
of them.

Mat,

I think that the set widget hates me. I adds [[ and ]] around each thing
returned by a filter if there are spaces. Title lists are space separated
so you get results like
[[one two [[three and four]]]] [[bob joe two]] [[eddie one]]
from using [all[]get[bar]] and it is very frustrating.
2016-05-23 17:31:37 UTC
Post by Jed Carty
I think that the set widget hates me. I adds [[ and ]] around each thing
returned by a filter if there are spaces. Title lists are space separated
so you get results like
[[one two [[three and four]]]] [[bob joe two]] [[eddie one]]
from using [all[]get[bar]] and it is very frustrating.
I have spent hours and hours just testing filters so I can tell you the set
widget doesn't hate you personally. I get the double brackets too. Try with
a listwidget instead.

FYI, I have called attention to the difficulty with this in #2363
<https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/issues/2363> (please do comment
there). I also have a case where I don't know what to do about this. BTW,
check out the following interesting example with identical filters:

mylist: aa [[bb bb]] cc
text:
<$set name="item" filter="[<currentTiddler>get[mylist]]" >
<<item>>
</$set>
<$list variable="item" filter="[<currentTiddler>get[mylist]]" >
<<item>>
</$list>

...pretty interesting, eh?

'c pa' via TiddlyWiki
2016-05-23 18:20:37 UTC
Jed,

I created a get all values in a list filter here:

http://cpashow.tiddlyspot.com/#%24%3A%2F_cpa%2Fmodules%2Ffilters%2Fgetfieldlist.js
2016-05-23 21:29:25 UTC
I gave in and just edited the tags filter, it turns out it took much less
than I expected. So you can use [tags:foo[]] to get the list of things in
the foo field instead of in the tags field.

So, with this the other fields can be used the same way as tags field. I am
not sure if there is an equivalent to [tag[bar]] at the moment, but I am
planning on editing the tag[] operator to work the same way as the tags
operator so that should be fixed later.

When you are in edit mode now you get a drop down showing a list of
existing tags for that field and it works the same as for the tags field so
you just need to click on the tag to add it.

Not everything is perfect but it is in a state that can be used without
much worry.
2016-05-24 08:35:55 UTC
Post by Jed Carty
I gave in and just edited the tags filter, it turns out it took much less
than I expected. So you can use [tags:foo[]] to get the list of things in
the foo field instead of in the tags field.
Good working! At this stage I think there is no problem because, as I see
it, this stage is mostly about defining the concept and making sure people
can try it.

Besides, with arbitrary field names one must probably... Actually, let me
say this first:

For field creation, there must be a safety check. I just tested to create a
field named "text" and it worked "too well". It should be simple to block
overwrite of the standard field names (there exists such a check when you
try to create a field named "text" in a standard tiddler) and is should be
simple to block globally defined GenTags fields, but what if I have
"mytiddlerlocalfield" in MyTiddler...?

Now, back to what I was about to say; such a safety check is probably (!)
also necessary to ensure that fields are not titled same as filter
operators! ...but the fact that we don't have this check for regular fields
makes me unsure (cos we don't, right?). At the moment I fail to concoct a
good example of how this could be a problem but considering how a filter
consists of both operators and field names... surely this is a risk, right?
Assuming it is, then a tool like GenTags will increase the risk
tremendously.

2016-05-24 10:24:37 UTC
It would be simple enough to create a list of disallowed field names like
text, tags, title, modified, created, author and whatever other names we
need. I can just make it hide the add button when you enter one of those
names with a note that they are restricted fields. I am not sure if tags
needs to be on the list or not. I will probably put it on to prevent
confusion.

And for filter operators, if I understand correctly I don't think that you
could cause problems by naming fields the same as filter operators. In
order to be a problem you would need a field with [ in the title, something
like a field called foo[ would make the filter [tags:foo[[]] and break
things, but [ isn't one of the allowed characters so that should problem is
already covered.
2016-05-24 21:47:31 UTC
This is now cleaned up a bit and packaged as a plugin. It should be easier
to set up and use the fields now. I still need to make documentation
though. The plugin is available in the same place here
<http://ooktech.com/jed/ExampleWikis/GenericTagFields/>.
2016-05-25 09:09:25 UTC
This now has a readme in the plugin and the macro tiddler has documentation
for the macros. There is also a much shorter and easier to understand demo.
Everything is still here
<http://ooktech.com/jed/ExampleWikis/GenericTagFields/>.

You should be able to use this as an alternative to the normal tags field
in every way except I don't have an exact alternative for !tag[foo] for the
other fields. You can do the equivalent of tag[foo] by
[foo]listed[fieldname] so it is only the negation part that is missing.
2016-05-26 15:35:28 UTC
Jed, I note that clicking a GenTag that appears in multiple fields (e.g the
zzz in the demo) opens the dropdown for all those instances (except for
when in the main tags field).

2016-05-26 16:10:59 UTC
Further, in the dropdown list it seems there is a difference for the
top-most element (i.e the possible link to the tag itself) if the field
wikifies or not. I'm thinking the dropdown list should probably behave like
regular tags, i.e it should be a link.

cmari
2016-06-12 14:36:09 UTC
Any ideas why this doesn't work in Chrome? (I tested this by opening
http://inmysocks.tiddlyspot.com in the most current version of Chrome on
Windows. Create a new tiddler. Click the down arrow next to "Topics" and
click on a tag pill. Every time I try this, the cursor moves to the "tag" I
just clicked and no topic is added.)
cmari
Oddly, it seems it is not possible to add field values using the dropdown
menu in Chrome. Clicking a "tag" pill on the dropdown "tag name" list
causes navigation away to the "tag" (whether it exists as a tiddler or
not), rather than populating the field. Things work as expected in Firefox.
cmari
RichardWilliamSmith
2016-06-12 14:47:53 UTC
Confirmed broken on Chrome for Mac, Version 51.0.2704.79 (64-bit)

RR
Jeff Vance
2016-08-02 14:31:22 UTC
Hi Jed,

Thanks a lot for making this plugin. I was trying to find a way to
organize my notes a certain way and this solves it for me perfectly.

I did find a small bug:
- When creating new fields for tags in the control panel, if you
accidentally enter an invalid name for the field (like inserting a space),
it creates a tiddler (that apparently goes unused) of the form
[[$:/settings/AlternateTagFields/bad field]]. This shows up in the recent
tab. I just deleted it, so no worries.
2016-05-25 13:02:16 UTC
If you want to see the plugin in action I am adding topics as a secondary
tag field on the wiki reference wiki
<http://inmysocks.tiddlyspot.com/#Topics%20List>.

This made me realize that someone should update the toc macros so they can
be set to use a field other than just tags.
2016-06-12 14:44:05 UTC
I changed a bit of the macro that had used the link catcher for the normal
tags field. It looks like that may be needed in chrome. I am working on
twederation things now but when I get that finished I will hopefully take a
look at it.
2016-09-02 08:45:56 UTC
The demo here http://ooktech.com/jed/ExampleWikis/GenericTagFields/ has the information, you can add fields using the control panel and they are listed in the edit template like the tags field
Danielo Rodríguez
2016-09-02 12:16:40 UTC
Post by Jed Carty
The demo here http://ooktech.com/jed/ExampleWikis/GenericTagFields/ has
the information, you can add fields using the control panel and they are
listed in the edit template like the tags field
That's a different URL!
Thank you Jed
Jon
2016-11-22 06:41:53 UTC
Hi,

I've just found Jed's alternative tags plug-in and finding it very useful.

I want to hide the new tags associated with various tiddlers (which you can
do via the Control Panel), but would like to see those tag pills in the
body of a new tiddler, in the same way that e.g. <<tag A>> would show a tag
pill of a regular tag called A. Is this possible with the new tags?

Perhaps this is possible anyway, to show a field as a tag pill...?

Thanks
Jon
2016-11-22 12:20:10 UTC
Post by Jon
Perhaps this is possible anyway, to show a field as a tag pill...?
try: <span class="tc-tag-label">{{!!yourFieldName}}</span>

-m
Jon
2016-11-22 18:02:51 UTC
Jed - thanks, no problem.

Mario, that seems to create a single (v. long) tag pill containing all the
tag names...

Thanks
Jon
2016-11-23 00:01:07 UTC
Post by Jon
Mario, that seems to create a single (v. long) tag pill containing all the
tag names...
different possibility. ... but there is no forground color change and no
other additional functionality. So you'd have to have a look at the tag
handling to get more.

<$list filter={{!!mylist}}><span
class="tc-tag-label"><<currentTiddler>></span> </$list>

-m
Jon
2016-11-23 06:55:03 UTC
Hi Mario,

That produces the tags in the body of the tiddler OK, but as I think you've
anticipated, they don't work, i.e they don't produce a list of items when
clicked. "Tag handling" is probably beyond me!

Thanks
Jon
Riz
2016-11-23 12:46:30 UTC
Are you looking for:
<$list filter={{!!myfield}}>{{||$:/core/ui/TagTemplate}}</$list>
Jon
2016-11-23 19:41:02 UTC
Hi Riz,

That's closer - the right colour for the tag pills and there is a drop down
to show the name of the tiddler (as the tag) but it doesn't show the
tiddlers with the tag.

Thanks
Jon
2016-11-22 10:44:25 UTC
Oh, I don't think I added anything that will do that. I have been swamped
with work so it will probably be a while before I can get around to
updating anything.
2016-11-25 14:41:57 UTC
The problem with what Riz posted is that it isn't the tags field so the
list isn't going to show up correctly. Also if you change the colour of the
tags in a non-tags field it won't show the correct colour there either.
This is an awkward work around for now if you need one:

<$set name=TheField value=field_name>
<$tiddler tiddler=TagName>
{{||$:/plugins/inmysocks/GenericTagFields/LikeTagPills}}
</$tiddler>
</$set>

you have to change field_name to the name of the field your tag is in and
the TagName to the tag you want to display. If you just want to display all
the tags in a field just use the TagLikeList macro, it is in the tiddler
$:/plugins/inmysocks/GenericTagFields/ListLikeTagsMacro in the plugin.
Diego Mesa
2017-12-03 17:07:43 UTC
Hey all

Just became aware of this excellent plugin. Just wanted to mention a few
issues and see if anyone else has encountered them or has a potential fix:

1. In the genTags tag dropdown that appears as a result of clicking on the
edit box, only the tag itself is highlighted, not the entire row, as is the
default for "real" tags.
2. Selecting a new tag from this dropdown does not actually cause the tag
to be placed in edit box - instead, it tries to open that tiddler. This
means that the tag dropdown selection is not actually working, and the only
way to add is to type one in manually

Thanks!
Diego
Diego Mesa
2017-12-03 23:09:25 UTC
Also:

3. The behavior of the tag dropdown in view mode is different across
different tag fields:

- Go to: http://ooktech.com/jed/ExampleWikis/GenericTagFields/
- Click on "this tag is in every field" in
- the core tag field: Note the dropdown "this tag is in every field"
is italicized, for a non-existing tiddler, but its the only dropdown that
pops up.
- the demo tag field: Note its and the bullseye dropdown both popup,
but the core tag dropdown does not popup.
- the bullseye tag field: Note it and the demo dropdown both popup
(the core tag dropdown also does not popup), but "this tag is in every
field" is not italicized, and you can not click it - clicking it causes
both dropdowns to close.
- Clicking on any tag in the bullseye tag field shows the tag name in
the drop-down to far to the left, and is unclickable.
- This is a result of the "wikify tags" option being selected - with
this off, its behavior matches that of the demo field.
2017-12-04 10:45:31 UTC
Diego,

I have been busy with other work for a while so I don't know if I will be
able to update this anytime soon.

I made the drop-downs for the other tag fields based on tag instead of on
tag and on field. At some point I will probably change it to use both so
there aren't multiple dropdowns when you have the same tag in multiple
fields. When using it I haven't ever had the same tag in multiple fields in
the same tiddler so it wasn't a priority for me.

For the part about selecting from the dropdown to add the tag to the
current field, I am not sure that I ever looked at adding that. It should
just be adding a link catcher widget so I will see if I can add it at some
point.

And yes, the dropdown acts differently when you wikify the tags. This is
because the wikify widget is used which prevents the other behaviour. I am
not sure if there is a way around this, but if I didn't have the wikify
widget there than instead of showing the tag field name wikified like it is
everywhere else it would show something like
{{$:/core/images/close-others}} instead of the bullseye. I liked the
current behaviour better. If I have time at some point in the future I will
try and track down all the edge cases, but I doubt that will be any time
soon.
Diego Mesa
2017-12-04 11:59:47 UTC
Completely understand Jed! Just figured I should note them down somewhere
(kind of like github issues).

For me, the only real impediment is being able to click a tag from the
dropdown and having it actually become a tag, instead of it trying to open
the tiddler. In the meantime, I will try to take a look at it myself and
report back.

Best,
Diego
coda coder
2017-12-04 14:20:37 UTC
Wow, Jed.

1 - When it has the same general UX as regular tags, it should be in the
core, IMO.

2 - Kudos. Even if just for seeing an immediate problem (use-case) solved
by ListOps widget, great stuff.

3 - Hell, call it JediTags - sounds fine to me.