[tw] [TW5] the LeftBar theme (left sidebar / mainmenu )
2015-02-05 00:13:49 UTC
Oooh... naughty student. Should have been focussing on studies but couldn't
resist piecing together a thing I've missed: A simple way to get a left
side bar (or "MainMenu" to use a TWc term). I believe this currently is the
easiest and most direct way to get it:

leftbar.tiddlyspot.com

It is ready for use, but if you have guidance for any improvements please
go ahead.

<:-)

Some search words and meta tags for this post:
sidebar "side bar" mainmenu "main menu" left side menu leftbar "left bar"
"left menu" "left sidebar"
Alberto Molina
2015-02-05 00:38:43 UTC
Hi Mat,

I guess you did know about: http://tw5topleft.tiddlyspot.com/

Is your solution easier/better?

Oooh... naughty student. Should have been focussing on studies but couldn't
Same here :)

I just figured out how to improve the centralised tw theme: when you show
the right sidebar, its switches to vanilla, and when you hide the sidebar,
its switches back to centralised. Check it out here:
http://magictabs.tiddlyspot.com/

Best wishes and stop procrastinating (
 I know, me too ;)

Alberto
2015-02-05 11:21:27 UTC
Hi Alberto,

Post by Alberto Molina
Is your solution easier/better?
Yes, I should have commented on Tons nice creation when I posted. But in
my, probably not so humble opinion, my version is a LOT easier to use. I
suggest you do a quick test to compare. Also, I don't use the clever
Matabele hide/show behaviour, but instead the non-clever-to-the-point
behaviour; show/hide what you want.

Post by Alberto Molina
the right sidebar, its switches to vanilla, and when you hide the sidebar,
http://magictabs.tiddlyspot.com/
That is a good idea. How would I do this? Is there a "switcher" for this,
whatever that would mean? Maybe if the're some kind of "batch toggle" so I
can toggle on/off tag "$:/tags/PageTemplate" and "$:/tags/Stylesheet". What
exactly should I do?

Such a batch toggler would actually be very useful as it could allow for
multiple themes in one TW. And if it allowed multiple tags (or even
fields?) to be toggled with a single, say, checkbox you could have a nice
panel or drowpdown listing themes for immediate choice.

Alberto Molina
2015-02-05 12:09:11 UTC
Hi Mat,

Post by Mat
my, probably not so humble opinion, my version is a LOT easier to use. I
suggest you do a quick test to compare. Also, I don't use the clever
Matabele hide/show behaviour, but instead the non-clever-to-the-point
behaviour; show/hide what you want.
Ok, I'll give it a try. Precisely, yesterday I was playing with Ton's left
menu.
Post by Alberto Molina
the right sidebar, its switches to vanilla, and when you hide the sidebar,
http://magictabs.tiddlyspot.com/
That is a good idea. How would I do this? Is there a "switcher" for this,
whatever that would mean? Maybe if the're some kind of "batch toggle" so I
can toggle on/off tag "$:/tags/PageTemplate" and "$:/tags/Stylesheet". What
exactly should I do?
I just changed $:/core/ui/TopBar/menu adding an <action-setfield> to the
button in order to change the content of $:/theme. Thus, when you show/hide
the sidebar, it also changes the theme.

This and other UI changes are bundled as plugin. Look for "goodies":
http://magictabs.tiddlyspot.com/#%24%3A%2Fplugins%2Famp%2Fgoodies
Post by Mat
Such a batch toggler would actually be very useful as it could allow for
multiple themes in one TW. And if it allowed multiple tags (or even
fields?) to be toggled with a single, say, checkbox you could have a nice
panel or drowpdown listing themes for immediate choice.
It's something possible to do, I guess.

Regards,

Alberto
2015-02-06 00:27:20 UTC
<$link to=<<currentTiddler>>><$view field='title'/></$link>
Thanks Jed, that worked! I have now added a Deinition list.

@Alberto or anyone, regarding switching between themes and

Post by Mat
Post by Alberto Molina
the right sidebar, its switches to vanilla, and when you hide the sidebar,
http://magictabs.tiddlyspot.com/
That is a good idea. How would I do this? Is there a "switcher" for this,
whatever that would mean? Maybe if the're some kind of "batch toggle" so I
can toggle on/off tag "$:/tags/PageTemplate" and "$:/tags/Stylesheet". What
exactly should I do?
I just changed $:/core/ui/TopBar/menu adding an <action-setfield> to the
button in order to change the content of $:/theme. Thus, when you show/hide
the sidebar, it also changes the theme.
http://magictabs.tiddlyspot.com/#%24%3A%2Fplugins%2Famp%2Fgoodies
1) How are "this and other UI changes" actually bundled into a plugin? That
would make it easier so that people only have to drag over one tiddler.

2) ...and it seems this is needed in order to have all UI changes switch in
one go, using the setting ot $:/theme. I.e is it a "bundle" that enables
this - and is this then the same "bundle" that constitutes the plugin?

BTW, if it is easy to "bundle" in this way, then a user could use something
like themeswitcher <http://themeswitcher.tiddlyspot.com/> (that I just
threw together) to change between things. This could allow e.g a family to
use one TW (theme switch to see only relevant stuff) or to have multiple
"applications" with both differents sets of tools and seen content, but all
in one TW.

Thank you!

James

Tobias Beer
2015-02-05 10:56:05 UTC
Hi Mat,

There's a typo in your instructions: *$:_LeftBar*

Could you perhaps turn those tiddlers to be dragged over
into a definition list and put a sentence each as to
what it is and what it does for the *LeftBar* to work?

I think it's important to understand how things work,
so as to be able to tweak the right spots,
because tweak we want and tweak we will.

For example, not everyone needs or wants tabs.

Some may want right aligned links,
some a toc, etc...

Mind you, I'm not asking you to
cram all this into the sidebar as examples.
Just so one would know where goes what,
just in case.

Best wishes, Tobias.
2015-02-05 13:00:45 UTC
Hi Tobias,

There's a typo in your instructions: $:_LeftBar
Corrected. Thanx.

Post by Tobias Beer
into a definition list and put a sentence each as to
what it is and what it does for the *LeftBar* to work?
What is a "definition list", and how to they work? I find no info on tw.com
and only this <http://tb5.tiddlyspot.com/#definition-lists> on Encyclopedia
tb5'ica.

Post by Tobias Beer
so as to be able to tweak the right spots,
because tweak we want and tweak we will.
I agree. I just changed so that the tabs are not included by default. Do
you have any particular further
suggestions how to make things easier to understand? I think I'm covering
most in the Instructions
tiddler and in the tiddlers liked to from there.

Thank you!

Tobias Beer
2015-02-05 15:07:09 UTC
Hi Mat,
Post by Mat
<http://tb5.tiddlyspot.com/#definition-lists> on Encyclopedia tb5'ica.
- http://tiddlywiki.com/#Definitions%20in%20WikiText
- http://tb5.tiddlyspot.com/#definition-lists

; term
: definition

e.g.

; [[$:/foo/bar]]
: defines bla
: do blop to make blip

Do you have any particular further suggestions how to make things easier to
Post by Mat
understand?
Not at the moment :-)

Best wishes, Tobias.
2015-02-05 18:51:35 UTC
Post by Mat
Post by Mat
<http://tb5.tiddlyspot.com/#definition-lists> on Encyclopedia tb5'ica.
- http://tiddlywiki.com/#Definitions%20in%20WikiText
- http://tb5.tiddlyspot.com/#definition-lists
Ok, misunderstanding on my side.
I've now included summary fields and would like to automatically generate
such a definition list, as a table, from these. No problem in with a fET in
TWc, but in TW5 I don't know how. Here's an attempt that doesn't work:

<$list filter="[all[shadows+tiddlers]field[summary]]">
|{{!!title}}|{{!!summary}}|
</$list>

Suggestions, anybody?

@Tobias - I think a solution for this could be valuable in tb5.

Alberto Molina
2015-02-05 19:06:58 UTC
Post by Mat
I've now included summary fields and would like to automatically generate
such a definition list, as a table, from these. No problem in with a fET in
<$list filter="[all[shadows+tiddlers]field[summary]]">
|{{!!title}}|{{!!summary}}|
</$list>
Suggestions, anybody?
<$list filter="[all[shadows+tiddlers]has[summary]]">
</$list>
2015-02-05 20:31:43 UTC
Post by Alberto Molina
<$list filter="[all[shadows+tiddlers]has[summary]]">
</$list>
Thank you Alberto! Is it possible to do this without html markup? Just
feels like a step backward to me. Isn't there something more polished in TW?

Also, anybody knows how to linkify:
{{!!title}}

I tried the obvious
[[{{!!title}}]]

...but no cigarr. BTW, I know I've seen a discussion on this but fail to
find it.

And an href yields external links. (And there's that primitive backward
feeling again...)

Tobias Beer
2015-02-05 23:52:23 UTC
Post by Mat
<$list filter="[all[shadows+tiddlers]field[summary]]">
|{{!!title}}|{{!!summary}}|
</$list>
Suggestions, anybody?
That's what definition lists are for, imho.

<$list filter="[all[shadows+tiddlers]has[summary]]">

;{{!!title}}
:{{!!summary}}
</$list>

See http://xlist.tiddlyspot.com/#Examples

Best wishes, Tobias.
2015-02-05 20:38:48 UTC
There are some things that WikiText can't do well, and for the moment at
least building a table using the list widget is one of them. So for now at
least we are stuck with using html.

You can make the link by using the link widget: <$link
to=<<currentTiddler>>><$view field='title'/></$link>
Leo Staley
2015-04-06 03:18:33 UTC
Hey, thanks! This is much better and more effective than the
tw5topleft.tiddlyspot!

Now, If someone could just make a css theme to make the whole thing compact
again like TWC, I just might return to using Tiddlywiki! :) Keep up the
good work.
Leo Staley
2015-04-06 12:00:31 UTC
Thanx for the compliments.

Post by Leo Staley
the story river, just like TWC???
Ehum... actually, it just came out that way. I'm hoping to understand how
to make stick/scroll an option.

BTW, I'm currently experimenting with a totally different setup to get a
left bar by increasing the story left position and putting a floating div
with the menu there. Soon to be released, accompanied by totally
unproportional pride.

Leo Staley
2015-04-10 21:00:02 UTC
Yeah, I quit Tiddlywiki about a year ago because I couldn't get it to do
that, and basically emulate a TWC classic look and feel. and then you come
strolling out here doin it by accident.

I've got a $15 (small, but hey, i'm broke) reward for anybody who makes a
full fledged TWC theme; font size, space between lines, and tiddlers,
button size/style (no icons), etc. I'm not hot about the color options
though since i always changed those anyway.
Thanx for the compliments.
2015-04-11 13:52:12 UTC
Post by Leo Staley
I've got a $15 (small, but hey, i'm broke) reward for anybody who makes a
full fledged TWC theme; font size, space between lines, and tiddlers,
button size/style (no icons), etc.
While I'm not the right guy for such an undertaking I still think you'd
better be very precise in what you're asking for. The "etc" can be a bit of
a Pandoras box. But including "font size" as a request makes me wonder if
you've made any attempt yourself?

However... if font size is too difficult then I'm wondering how well things
would proceed even if you did get a TWc theme... Having used TW for many
years, I've found myself forced to tiddle-fiddle pretty soon regardless of
how a TW was set up. The major difference between TWc and TW5 is not the
visuals you mention in your request so you'd still have to, hm,
"reconceptualize" much more than the theme-specifics you're asking for. I
mean, those visuals are "the small part" of making the switch. That said -
the switch is worth it.

An idea is to take one of your "theme tweaks" at a time and try and ask on
the boards until it's what you want (and probably more!). In the process
you'll get more familiar with TW5.

Dave
2017-01-02 05:30:06 UTC
Mat,

Did you ever get the this left menu to stick instead of scroll with the
rest of the tiddler story?
Thanx for the compliments.
Riz
2017-01-02 05:47:11 UTC
Try creating a stylesheet and adding.

.tc-leftbar-scrollable {
position: fixed;
}
2017-01-02 07:24:44 UTC
Post by Dave
Mat,
Did you ever get the this left menu to stick instead of scroll with the
rest of the tiddler story?
Very funny you should ask - I made exactly that a mere few days ago!!! I
have not yet put it into the official leftbar site because it is not
polished and I'm not sure it is a good UI (it shows a button to easily
switch between fixed/notfixed).

Here is the basic code. I'm currently too much in a hurry and too
morning-confused to recall or investigate if it required anything more than
this code. Tell me if it works for you:

title:LeftBar
tags: $:/LeftBar

<$reveal type="nomatch"
state="$:/.TWaddle/LeftBar/Reveal!!position" text="absolute">
<$button set="$:/.TWaddle/LeftBar/Reveal!!position"
setTo="absolute"
class="tc-btn-invisible">
⊿
</$button></$reveal>

<$reveal type="match"
state="$:/.TWaddle/LeftBar/Reveal!!position" text="absolute">
<$button set="$:/.TWaddle/LeftBar/Reveal!!position"
setTo="fixed"
class="tc-btn-invisible">
⊟
</$button>
</$reveal>[[LeftBar]]<br>
<$edit-text tiddler="$:/.TWaddle/LeftBar/StyleSheet" field="width"/>

<<list-links "[tag[LeftBar]]">>

And here's the stylesheet... which I assume I must have changed for this
but can't quite remember ATM:

title: $:/.TWaddle/LeftBar/StyleSheet
tags: $:/tags/Stylesheet

html .tc-story-river {
position: absolute;
width:auto;
z-index: 999;
}

.leftbarpin {display:}

.tc-leftbar-scrollable {
position:{{$:/.TWaddle/LeftBar/Reveal!!position}}; top:-2em;
left:0;
overflow-y: hidden;
overflow-x: hidden;
-webkit-overflow-scrolling: touch;
margin: 0 0 0 0px;
}

<<if-no-leftbar "

html .tc-story-river { padding-left: 42px; left:
{{$:/themes/tiddlywiki/vanilla/metrics/storyleft}}; }
.tc-leftbar-scrollable { width: 0; padding:0; }

">>

<<if-leftbar """

.tc-leftbar-scrollable { width: {{!!width}}; padding:{{!!padding}}; }
.tc-sidebar-scrollable { left:calc({{!!width}} +
{{$:/themes/tiddlywiki/vanilla/metrics/storyright}}); margin-left:-84px; }
.tc-story-river { left: {{!!width}}; margin-right:0px; padding-left: 0em;
padding-right:42px; }

""">>

<<if-sidebar "

.tc-story-river { width:
calc({{$:/themes/tiddlywiki/vanilla/metrics/storyright}} - {{!!width}} ); }

">>

<<if-no-sidebar "

.tc-story-river { right:0; }

">>

Jan
2017-01-02 08:51:12 UTC
Hi Mat, Riz and Dave...
There has been a morphogenetic field, my LeftbarTheme is just in a state
where you can test it: http://drilldown.tiddlyspot.com

Thanks again to you Riz for giving me the initial help...
Enjoy
Jan
Post by Dave
[...]
0em; padding-right:42px; }
""">>
<<if-sidebar "
calc({{$:/themes/tiddlywiki/vanilla/metrics/storyright}} -
{{!!width}} ); }
">>
<<if-no-sidebar "
.tc-story-river { right:0; }
">>|
Riz
2017-01-02 14:08:51 UTC
You really took the ball and ran with it :-) It works well. Planning to
pack it into a plugin? We should have a collection of all left bars
together somewhere.
Jan
2017-01-02 22:04:11 UTC
Hi Riz,
Thanks, you are *right*, there should be a collection of
*left*-menus..and of UI-Tweaks in general.
I would be happy if you incorporated to Reddit-page. Somehow the
Reddit-Register-Mechanism just counted me out.

I have not made a plugin yet, mostly for three reasons:
1. I do not know how to do it correctly yet
2. MultiMenu like most of my tools often has a modular structure so that
you might like to skip some of the tiddlers.
3. In some Plugins I depend on code that is programmed by someone else
like here BJ's drag and drop Plugin. I think it is better to take the
original in order to avoid double-installations.

...so I came up with the Json-trick
...but I also know the disadvantages and I was happy that - for example
ghostwriter was published as a theme because this allows you to switch...
so I am a little puzzled.

Greetings Jan
Riz
2017-01-03 01:14:10 UTC
Post by Jan
Reddit-Register-Mechanism just counted me out.
Oh no, last time you posted, you said you were still working on it. I
assumed you will announce whenever you polish it up.

PS: Also, if anyone else felt like their work was ignored or is missing
from Reddit <https://www.reddit.com/r/TiddlyWiki5/>, please feel free to PM
me or post it yourselves. The forum itself is open to public, only the wiki
part <https://www.reddit.com/r/TiddlyWiki5/wiki/index> is restricted for
editing access. Things will last longer if it was a community effort rather
than an individual one.
Jan
2017-01-03 02:40:11 UTC
Hi Riz,
This was no reproach...I meant the real Reddit-Register/signup dialogue,
who did not accept my EMail when I tried to post it this evening.
I think it is quite presentable now.

I only have a problem hiding the vertical scrollbar of the
leftmenuwrapper in FF. Perhaps you can help me with that.
I tried to make the leftmenuwrapper 17px wider
and then hide the overflow of the outer .menu
Strangely this won't work

Do you have a tweak?

best wishes
Jan
Riz
2017-01-03 04:32:23 UTC
Try changing .leftmenuwrapper {position:fixed} to
.leftmenuwrapper{position:absolute}. Since you already have a parent
container with positioned relative to screen, the children can be
positioned as absolute.

I see you already have taken care of the chrome side of things. Clever.

PS: You need not give an email id when signing up for reddit. You can
always add it later, or never if you wish you keep your personal details
hidden. try signing up without an email id and do post.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/eedf03c8-48f1-45e6-838a-a9d56a0c14fc%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/eedf03c8-48f1-45e6-838a-a9d56a0c14fc%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
Jan
2017-01-03 09:44:58 UTC
Hej Riz,
what a difference a word makes... Thanks so much I searched so long the
it started to turn me mad.
It's a pleasure working with you.

Working on a mobile theme I encountered difficulties to keep the Tiddler
clean and dense without hiding the toolbar to unfindable or too small to
use.
I think you encounterd similar problems with the ghostwriter-theme.

Looking around I found http://materializecss.com/buttons.html
Especially the Item Fab to Toolbar seems to be interesting.

I would like clicking a TiddlerTitle to open the Toolbar redisigned like
the one in the example. It should stay there if you save after editing
but disappear after clicking another Tiddler.
What do you think of this?

Jan
Riz
2017-01-03 10:38:55 UTC
Jan
2017-01-03 11:16:41 UTC
Ahh!
I see a narrow bar with save and discard button fixed to the top of the
screen for editing, to be able to scroll below.
Ingenious...
I very much like the solution found by As Noted. http://asnoted.com/

Jan
Post by Riz
It would be cool if you could pull it off. I guess you will have to
hack the title viewtemplate to pull it off
Personally I would love to see someone attempting a pop-up tiddler
viewtoolbar that appears if I long press anywhere in the tiddler body.
Given that long tiddlers in desktop will become super extra long in
mobile, the whole go back to the top of tiddler becomes tedious.
2017-01-02 22:32:43 UTC
Post by Jan
There has been a morphogenetic field, my LeftbarTheme is just in a state
where you can test it: http://drilldown.tiddlyspot.com
Very slick! Impressive!

'Birthe C' via TiddlyWiki
2017-01-02 23:19:26 UTC
Hi Jan,

Waw, you have done a wonderful job with you leftbar. But your incorporation
of the miniversion of Metabs with the Index tab and sorting is what make
this a must have for me.

Birthe
Dave
2017-01-03 06:33:14 UTC
Thanks! I tried copying and pasting it into my current TW with your
previous Leftbar and the menu disappeared. Maybe I'll wait until the
official update is out and start over from scratch

- Dave
2017-01-03 11:20:57 UTC
That is similar to what I was hoping to make with my icon menus
<http://ooktech.com/iconmenus/>, but I never got that far with it.
2017-01-12 20:41:58 UTC
LeftBar <http://leftbar.tiddlyspot.com/> is updated and plugin...
ified.

You can now toggle between scrolling or affixing the LeftBar content and if
you want the arrow to be visible, among other things.

Pit.W.
2017-01-15 19:04:09 UTC
+1

Much appreciated, Mat.

Big progress. Easy to handle. Quote: /"//Anything tagged
//|$:/LeftBar|//will have it's content shown in the LeftBar." /Yes, this
is easy to manage/. /And having it as a plugin is really elegant.//This
allows a completely new way of knowledge management, because it adds a
second dimension to the GUI/.
/

Possibilities galore!/
/