[tw] OneNote replacement method experiment
David Gifford
2016-01-05 06:14:52 UTC
Hi all

Scot Simmons asked in another thread about using TW as a OneNote, and
particularly about attaching or viewing pdfs.

I didn't want to derail his thread with this. It doesn't address his pdf
question. But it is an experiment I am trying, and I thought: either it
will help Scot in some way to use TW as OneNote a little more, or you guys
will give me feedback to make this even better, or both.

I will tell you what I am trying now in order to unify all my notes,
images, etc.

1. I have a folder called perfect.system (named it that in hopes that it
might become that for me, after so many other schemes that don't work for
me). Inside that folder I have a central hub TW5 called "perfect.index" and
five subfolders: a for articles (stuff I write), s for sources (pdfs, Word
docs, etc), imgs for image files, 'reading' for TW5s I will create, one for
each book I read, to take notes on that book, and 'projects' (for new,
unpolished writing or notetaking projects not based on reading but on a
topic).

2. In each of the subfolders I have a template specifically for creating
that kind of TW (reading template for reading TWs, etc).

3. In each of these template TWs I have a viewtemplate field that shows up
in each tiddler contains the relative filepath link to the perfect.index,
so from any tiddler in any TW in those folders I can move up with one click
to the perfect.index Example: "Back to
[ext[Perfect.Index|../perfect.index.html]]"

3. When I create new articles, projects or reading notes in those subfolder
TWs, I grab the permalink of the new tiddler I create, and then I go to the
perfect.index TW and paste the relevant part of the link there and turn it
into a prettylink. Example:

[ext[Steven Johnson, Where Good Ideas Come From, on
innovation|./reading/where.good.ideas.come.from.html#On%20innovation]]

4. I am in the process of moving my current folders of images and my
current folders of documents into subfolders of "imgs" and "s" (sources)
respectively. As I do, I add relative filepath links to those folders (not
to each image or doc) in the perfect.index. Examples:

a. *[ext[Birger Sandzen, folder of images|./imgs/birger.sandzen/]]
b. *[ext[Spanish vocab sources|./s/spanish.vocab.s/]]

5. So in short, my perfect.index TW has links to FOLDERS of my current
docs/pdfs/old TWs, links to FOLDERS of imgs by topic, and has links to
TIDDLERS of any new article or reading summary or project I create. Those
tiddlers in the subfolders may contain relative links to actual images in
the imgs subfolders: [img[../imgs/tree.diagrams/vertical.tree.png]]

I doubt I would view pdfs through those tiddlers, but I could if I wanted
to.

I don't use node.js for any of this, just regular files, but I imagine you
could use node.js to do the same thing.

Here is a link to the perfect.index in an early stage that I uploaded to my
website on Friday to see how it would look and function, but I plan to
remove it eventually, for copyright concerns re the images.
http://giffmex.org/perfect.system/perfect.index.html.

a. Go to tags, select tech, select Data visualizations, and edit to see
what the links look like, then click on d3 visualizations.... Note the
image accessed from there and edit to see how the links were done. When
done, click the "Back to perfect.index" to go back. Ignore the home button,
which I later removed.

b. Go to tags, select visual, select Comic art, and click on the P. Craig
Russell link. It will open the folder list of images there. I am using
Launchy for Firefox to right-click and open it in Windows explorer so I can
see the images themselves. Works in my hard drive, but not online.

Sorry for the long description. But I hope this helps Scot or anyone else
get ideas as to how TW might be used more simply to create a knowledgebase
that could become way too big for one TW file, yet easy to add to and easy
to navigate back and forth. I am in the experimental stage but this is
working really well for me.

Dave
tim O
2016-01-06 18:25:30 UTC
Hi, David.
Scot actually replied to my thread. Thanks for these useful tips. Any
chance I can download this project as a zip to study?

Thanks

Cheers
David Gifford
2016-01-06 20:38:38 UTC
Hi Tim

Sorry! Must have read that post incorrectly.

Here is a link to the zip file you requested, in my Dropbox.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e91k5crxv7a3sif/z.empty.for.sharing.zip?dl=0

The zip contains the entire folder setup, index file and template files,
and has explicit instructions.

Dave
tim O
2016-01-06 22:20:04 UTC
Thanks David. I will need to play with this. Do you use node.js or the
destop verrsion; or does it matter?
Post by David Gifford
Hi Tim
Sorry! Must have read that post incorrectly.
Here is a link to the zip file you requested, in my Dropbox.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e91k5crxv7a3sif/z.empty.for.sharing.zip?dl=0
The zip contains the entire folder setup, index file and template files,
and has explicit instructions. Please let me know if the link doesn't allow
you to download.
Dave
David Gifford
2016-01-06 22:52:49 UTC
Hi Tim

I use desktop version, but I imagine you could do the same thing with
node.js?

Dave
Post by David Gifford
[...]
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/642ba657-4c53-4bf3-8d5c-2f082f5227be%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/642ba657-4c53-4bf3-8d5c-2f082f5227be%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
David Gifford
Christian Reformed World Missions, Mexico City
Scott Simmons (Secret-HQ)
2016-01-12 04:37:40 UTC
This is terrific, Dave!

Over the years, I've often found you using a similar organization scheme to
me with regard to some topic or other and promptly stolen ideas from you.
I rarely go as far down the rabbit hole (mostly, I suspect, because I
chase my own hares down different paths), but you're still one of my
favorite TiddlyUsers to crib from. :P

I'm committed to migrating to TW5 for 2016, and I didn't do much
TiddlyOrganizing in 2015 knowing I'd eventually get to that point — but
your folder structure has some similarities to what I had been doing with
my TiddlyWiki Classics. My TiddlyWikis all lived in /Documents/Web
Sites/TiddlyWikis. Inside that folder was a "master" TiddlyWiki with links
to other TWs, sorted into subfolders by topic. When I was watching *Doctor
Who* and trying to remember various clues and tidbits, I jotted notes in /television/Doctor
Who.twc. When I worked on daily reports and tasks for AVweb, that was done
in /work/AVweb.twc. Each folder had its own /images, /PDFs, and
/spreadsheets subfolders, but there were also folders like that at the root
(/Documents/Web Sites/TiddlyWikis/images, etc.), where shared files lived.
This allowed me to reuse UI images and such between TWs. And there was a
TiddlyWarehouse.twc, where I kept plugins, templates, AutoCorrectLists, and
other reusable tiddlers that I might need in other TWs.

Migrating to TW5 has me rethinking all this, of course. As you well know,
it can sometimes be hard to get organized with TiddlyWiki because the
prospect of a *BETTER* organization schema is always rearing its head!

(I'm off to download and root through your .ZIP file from the other thread
you posted about "Perfect" as I drift off to sleep ... .)
David Gifford
2016-01-12 10:09:35 UTC
Thanks for the kind words, Scott.

I have had TW files by topic somewhat similar to your arrangement, but
since I deal with so many topics in my ministry and my reading, I always
find that when I have or find an idea, that it is too much mental work to
figure out which file I need to put it in, and then go find the file and do
it. That is why I have the alphabetical arrangement now. Figuring out "S"
or "T" is easy. I considered just having a new file to dump things in each
month, and use the index to find things, but the letter and number idea
gives a better change of cross-linking between articles in multiple TWs.
It's easier to create a link to the tiddler Faith in file F
[ext[Faith|./f.html#Faith]] than to try to remember or figure out what
month you created a tiddler on faith.

Dave

On Monday, January 11, 2016 at 10:37:40 PM UTC-6, Scott Simmons (Secret-HQ)
Post by Scott Simmons (Secret-HQ)
[...]
prospect of a *BETTER* organizational schema is always rearing its head!
HC Haase
2016-03-18 12:56:33 UTC
it's always good to organize, but may I ask why are you splitting up your
TW? Why not just have it all in one (not talking media of courste)? do you
really have so manny tidderls that it get a hit on performance?
David Gifford
2016-03-18 15:30:07 UTC
Yes, I do. Blessings

Dave
Interesting to read your strategies.
it's always good to organize, but may I ask why are you splitting up your
TW? Why not just have it all in one (not talking media of course)? do you
really have so many tidderls that it get a hit on performance?
David Gifford
2016-01-06 20:33:41 UTC
Hi Tim,

Sorry I must have read that wrong!

Here is a zip file with an empty version of the whole folder setup with
explicit instructions for anyone who wants to try it out.

Dave