[tw5] Favicon is not displayed
oleghbond
2018-12-05 17:48:30 UTC
I've been breeding my TW5's at a sort of farm on the Github platform (
github.com/protw) using Github Pages for building and publishing (
protw.github.io). This work was inspired by by original work of Danielo
Rodríguez <https://github.com/danielo515/TW5-auto-publish2gh-pages>.

So far I've succeeded to grow up 6 wikis:

1. proTW — Tiddlywiki selfplatform - Making senses
<https://protw.github.io/>
2. About Tiddlywiki — Selfmanual <https://protw.github.io/tw5/>
3. RDPDET — Radon dosimetry and detection
<https://protw.github.io/rdpdet/>
4. PROTWECO — Environmental matters <https://protw.github.io/eco/>
5. UKRLANG — Ukrainian language in the modern world
<https://protw.github.io/ukr/>
6. OLEGHBOND — Olegh Bondarenko, resume
<https://protw.github.io/oleghbond/>

This year I noticed a certain undesired effect: after typical regular
update of wikis some of them (##3-6) discontinued displaying a favicon at
protw.github.io. At the same time a favicon is still well being displying
at my local computer where I build the wikis under Node.js.

I've been experimenting a lot with favicon formats, dimensions, color depth
but has not reached understanding the effect cause.

I'm suspisous on influence of the two latest TW versions 5.1.16 and 5.1.17
but without proofs.

I'm not rather alone having this inconvinience.

It would be great if somebody would have already solved the issue.
2018-12-05 18:37:02 UTC
#1 and #2 have "real", embedded images. #3 - #6 reference icons on the
server. It appears that either TW or your browser won't use those
referenced images. If it used to work, then I would guess that changes to
browser security are making the difference.

Good luck!
-- Mark
oleghbond
2018-12-06 08:31:26 UTC
Thanks Mark for your thought. Just to mention - I tried several raster
image formats: ico, jpg, png, gif but without success. And again let me
draw your attention that when I build index.html locally - everything works
fine under Chrome at my comp. The latter means that all these ##3-6 work
properly for tiddlywikis built locally.
2018-12-06 15:13:40 UTC
I suspect that it relates to "https" and security. Looking at the source
code, it appears to fall back to favicon.ico. So possibly you could try
putting a traditional favicon.ico in the same directory as your TW file.

Good luck!

Mark
oleghbond
2018-12-06 18:43:14 UTC
Mark, thanks,

even if you're correct how can you explain that favicon is displayed
properly in some cases only (e.g. protw.github.io/tw5). Another barrier for
applying your solution is in my illiteracy in managing .travis.yml.

Olegh
2018-12-06 18:51:28 UTC
The favicon at protw.github.io/tw5
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fprotw.github.io%2Ftw5&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNHNPgAXNB8AgHg7k3rnCiwwof4f0w>
is part of the actual web page. It is not coming from outside the web page.
So the browser feels safe to use the image.

In the past there have been exploits that use the favicon.

What is .travis.yml ?

Good luck
-- Mark
oleghbond
2018-12-06 19:39:24 UTC
Mark,

as far as I understand .travis.yml is a command script of travis-ci.org
service (continous integration). More details are the original work of
Danielo Rodríguez
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fdanielo515%2FTW5-auto-publish2gh-pages&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNGAHN7lzfpkE6EOLrSQWvdWMNcmjg>.
This command script builds index.html (and static html files according to
tiddlywiki.info) of tiddlywiki from .tid (and other) files content at a
github.com repo and then passes the resulted files to Github Pages service (
girhub.io) for the final publishing.

Olegh
Mohammad
2018-12-06 04:28:43 UTC
Hello Oleghbond,

I impressed by the work you done with Tiddlywiki. for example in this
tiddler: ProTW
<https://protw.github.io/rdpdet/#%D0%90%D0%BB%D1%8C%D1%84%D0%B0-%D1%81%D0%BF%D0%B5%D0%BA%D1%82%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%BC%D0%B5%D1%82%D1%80%D1%96%D1%8F%20%D0%B7%20%D0%B2%D0%B8%D0%BA%D0%BE%D1%80%D0%B8%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%BD%D1%8F%D0%BC%20%D0%A2%D0%A2%D0%94>

If it possible it would be great to share your macros, customization, rules
here to TW community.

I also suggest David Gifford add these wonderful work to TW Toolmap and In
tiddlywiki.com a link to these pages to be added.

I think these pages are an example of producing scientific contents using
TW.

Mohammad
oleghbond
2018-12-06 09:45:41 UTC
Dear Mohammad,

I am sincerely grateful for your valuation.

Your vision regarding dissemination of good practice patterns is completely
in line with my current doings and future plans.

In particular, protw.github.io/tw5 (in Ukrainian) is dedicated to
description of TW5 fuctionality, deployment, hosting, multiuser project
support, etc.

In my future plans I see reworking and translating into English
protw.github.io/tw5. Also I admit worthiness of your idea of exposing the
tiddlywiki customisation tools for the purpose of fitting the requirements
of protw.github.io/ as a publishing spot. Additionally I'm thinking about a
corresponding video course.

However, the whole idea might be much deeper - foundation of a new platform
for breeding multiple multiuser TW projects. Sort of further development
of http://tiddlyspot.com/, but based on TW + Node + Github + Github Pages.
In this context protw.github.io/ is just a prototype of such an idea.

Olegh
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fprotw.github.io%2Frdpdet%2F%23%25D0%2590%25D0%25BB%25D1%258C%25D1%2584%25D0%25B0-%25D1%2581%25D0%25BF%25D0%25B5%25D0%25BA%25D1%2582%25D1%2580%25D0%25BE%25D0%25BC%25D0%25B5%25D1%2582%25D1%2580%25D1%2596%25D1%258F%2520%25D0%25B7%2520%25D0%25B2%25D0%25B8%25D0%25BA%25D0%25BE%25D1%2580%25D0%25B8%25D1%2581%25D1%2582%25D0%25B0%25D0%25BD%25D0%25BD%25D1%258F%25D0%25BC%2520%25D0%25A2%25D0%25A2%25D0%2594&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNF1uvIeuqF16GOFioGx8hYJErbVaA>
Mohammad
2018-12-06 10:51:31 UTC
Many thanks Olegh,

I could read protw.github.io/tw5
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fprotw.github.io%2Ftw5&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNHNPgAXNB8AgHg7k3rnCiwwof4f0w>
using Google Translate!

The macro for numbering equations and figures and also citation are all
very interesting.

Yes, using TW for preparing high quality contents like scientific journals
papers need more work! By the way, I believe TW finally will be able to
take the role.

Looking forward for your future work and I hope you could be able to share
them here in TW community

-- Mohammad
oleghbond
2018-12-06 11:26:51 UTC
Dear Mohammad,

please be cautious regarding this macros. No doubt its behaviour distorted
at least since version 5.1.17, although it worked fine in version 5.1.14
(see discussion here
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/tiddlywiki/ptoEZPWV_C4/IVljwvadCAAJ>).
I have not checked yet the fresh latest version 5.1.18.

Completely agree that TW5 in many aspects ideally fits as a platform for
scientific journals.

Olegh
Mohammad
2018-12-06 11:42:06 UTC
Olegh,
Thank you for your hint!
I will check them in an empty TW5.1.18 first.

Best
Mohammad
oleghbond
2018-12-06 11:59:26 UTC
Dear Mohammad,

I've just checked the newest version 5.1.18. It seems Danielo Rodriguez's
PopupFootnotes <http://braintest.tiddlyspot.com/#PopupFootnotes> as well as my
extended modification
<https://protw.github.io/tw5/#%D0%9F%D0%B5%D1%80%D0%B5%D1%85%D1%80%D0%B5%D1%81%D0%BD%D1%96%20%D0%BF%D0%BE%D1%81%D0%B8%D0%BB%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%BD%D1%8F%20%D0%B2%20%D1%82%D0%B5%D0%BA%D1%81%D1%82%D1%96>
are not working properly and need to be rewritten. The only question is -
who can do this?

Olegh
Mohammad
2018-12-06 12:24:09 UTC
Let see, if Danielo see this post!

Why your macro does not work?

/Mohammad
Olegh Bondarenko
2018-12-06 14:10:48 UTC
Perhaps he did (at least I tried knocking him out) but today has no longer
time and/or motivation to support his plugin.

Regarding tests. My conclusion about distorted behaviour of the plugin is
based on experimental tests in the environments of two TW versions: 5.1.14
and 5.1.17 (and from today 5.1.18).

Olegh
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/d8f90a5e-172f-41d3-9a24-4445ea97b73a%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/d8f90a5e-172f-41d3-9a24-4445ea97b73a%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
Mohammad
2018-12-06 17:18:20 UTC
Olegh,
Have you already seen the work by Thomas Elmiger?
He has some great macro on numbering and footnotes!

-Mohammad
oleghbond
2018-12-06 18:24:31 UTC
Thanks Mohammad,

I new this good work.

So far I've found several most decent footnote tools:

- Footnotes and Textstretch <http://slidesnstories.tiddlyspot.com/>,
- PopupFootnotes <http://braintest.tiddlyspot.com/#PopupFootnotes>,
- numbers <http://tid.li/tw5/numbers.html>

From them I found PopupFootnotes most suitable for remastering to refer
multiple types of objects (e.g. notes, formula, graphs, etc.) through a
text. However, as I mentioned above, the incorrect behavior of the plugin
caused by the TW update significantly narrowed the use of the plugin within
the scope of a single tiddler.

Olegh
Mohammad
2018-12-06 20:14:14 UTC
Olegh,
Just as a proof of concept I used your idea and wrote a small macro in TW
5.1.18 to create an abbreviation list.

See: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tiddlywiki/kcMkZ8qTGKA/_J5VaOEwDQAJ

It also has a macro called abbr which uses the html5 abbr tag.

I think with TW 5.1.8 many of those macro can be implemented in an
efficient way.

-- Mohammad
oleghbond

2018-12-06 14:36:01 UTC
FYI oleghbond

I wrote a note to Danielo that hopefully makes him aware of this thread.

I wanted to comment that it was wonderful to look at the work you have done
... lovely wikis. Great to see them publicly!

I was not aware that Danielo had made that GitHub for making single file
easier! Its good to know of it!

oleghbond