[tw5] Upgrading a Server-Based TW5 Wiki
cpjobling
2018-08-10 12:19:10 UTC
I'm sure that this must be an FAQ but I couldn't find an answer!

When I first created my journal wiki, I used the tiddlywiki node.js tool
version 5.1.15.

I have since upgraded using 'npm update' and I am now running the 5.1.17
version of the server.

However, In the wiki control panel, for my server-based wiki, it reports
version 5.1.15 which I assume means that the code is still from the
original version.

I used the *tiddlywiki* command tool to export my wiki as a single file
wiki 'index.html' and used the update tool to upgrade to 5.1.17. No
problems!

I saved the result as upgrade.html.

My question is, how do I export the tiddlers from *upgrade.html *back into
my server-based wiki?

Chris
Rob Hoelz
2018-08-10 15:18:46 UTC
Hi Chris,

I had a similar problem when I first updated my Node.js installation, but
it was related to the fact that I had imported my tiddlers from an HTML
installation, which sounds like it's not the case for you. Either way, my
issue was that I had saved all of the system tiddlers to my tiddlers/
directory (eg. $:/core and others) when I imported, and what's in tiddlers/
overrides what the NPM package provides. Once I removed the offending
tiddlers from my tiddlers/ directory, the upgrade worked as intended. Does
it sound like that could be your issue?

-Rob
Chris Jobling
2018-08-14 09:01:26 UTC
I don’t think it’s quite the same. At the root, I think I’m lacking basic knowledge of how to go from the file-based TiddlyWiki served by the server to the single file version and back.

I know that tiddlywiki –rendertiddlers can be used to create a single file tiddlywiki.

I can use this to create a 5.1.15 snapshop and can upgrade that, using the upgrade tool, to 5.1.17. I then have an new single file TiddlyWiki. How do I convert that into the file-based one?

There doesn’t seem to be a render function that does this.

Chris

2018-08-14 12:30:33 UTC
Have you tried importing the file based wiki into the node based wiki?

cpjobling
2018-08-15 08:00:17 UTC
That's what I want to do, but aside from dragging each tiddler into a new
blank wiki one by one, I have found no documented way to do this. All the
docs talk about single file wikis.
2018-08-15 08:19:32 UTC
You can drag and drop the html file onto your node wiki and it should let
you import all of the tiddlers. Although updating tiddlywiki via npm should
have worked. In the folder that holds all of the .tid files for the wiki is
there a file called something like $__core.tid? If so try deleting that
(after making a backup of your wiki folder!).
cpjobling
2018-08-15 15:09:14 UTC
Thanks for your advice. There wasn't a $__core.tid file in the tiddlers
folder. So in the end I used this recipe!

- I created a new empty server-based wiki
- Started the server and opened it in a browser
- Installed the non-standard plugins I had in my original wiki
- Created a single file wiki from my existing wiki
- Dragged that file onto the new empty wiki and imported the tiddlers.

Looks to be ok now.