[tw] [TW5] Plugins updated: Reminders and Alerts for ToDoNow
Thomas Elmiger
2017-09-07 19:26:07 UTC
Hi all

Finally I am ready to officially release a new update and additional
extensions for my GTD solution called ToDoNow.

*TL;DR*

- The biggest innovation is a new plugin called *Reminders* that can
show alerts and reminders for tasks with a deadline.
- Many other things have been improved, simplified or added as options.
- All useful combinations of plugins are *available as Bundles *now,
kudos to Mario and Josiah for this great invention!

New in Version 1.0.7

- New Addon: Outlook
- Outlook shows tasks for today/tomorrow/next 7 days – comes with
translations en, de, dk
- Support for new/updated Plugins
- *Reminders: I built a new plugin
<https://tid.li/tw5/plugins.html#%24%3A%2Fplugins%2Ftelmiger%2Freminders>
for this, in theory it could be used for any deadline fields with TW dates
in them
 *
- Datepicker <http://kixam.github.io/TW5-datePicker/> 0.5.2 and
moments.js (info) <http://momentjs.com/> 2.18.1 by kixam
- Checklist by Tony Grosinger <http://grosinger.net/tw5-checklist/>
in the great new version 0.0.14
- hint: use tab and space bar to navigate, activate and delete
subtasks
- Download options
- Bundles <https://tid.li/tw5/plugins.html> for simple to
sophisticated solutions (see sidebar, *Bundles* tab) – download as
JSON, throw on your wiki, reload
- Demo/download page for the complete solution:
https://tid.li/tw5/tdn.html (kind of an edition)
- Plugin info: new tabs for configuration and usage
- *Danish* translation by *Birthe – thank you!*
- Documentation update
- and possibly other cool features I forgot to list here

As allways: Be shure to have a backup ready before you try this, even if
it’s working flawless for me and other testers.
If you update from a prior version you might have to delete local copies of
shadow tiddlers.

Found a bug or a feature? Please report here! – There is still potential in
many details, I hope some of you (again) will help me to dig it up.

And last but not least: A special *thank you* to my power user Josiah –
some of your hints are still on my personal todo list.

Happy Do-ing!

Thomas
2017-09-08 02:46:11 UTC
Very impressive!

It appears that the button for the custom filter has disappeared.

Also appears (haven't tested in detail) that if the tab for the page isn't
opened when a timer triggers, that it won't open when you return to the
tab.

Mark
Post by Thomas Elmiger
[...]
As allways: Be sure to have a backup ready before you try this, even if
it’s working flawless for me and other testers.
If you update from a prior version you might have to delete local copies
of shadow tiddlers. Update all plugins!
Thomas Elmiger
2017-09-08 06:31:40 UTC
Hi Mark

Very impressive!
Thank you!

It appears that the button for the custom filter has disappeared.
You are right. I will try to reactivate it.

Post by 'Mark S.' via TiddlyWiki
opened when a timer triggers, that it won't open when you return to the
tab.
In fact there is no timer running in the background. Reminders and alerts
apear when TW re-renders the page, so you have to be active – e.g. switch a
tab, use the search field or interact with the wiki in any other way. So TW
usage is the trigger.
2017-09-08 11:31:34 UTC
Ciao readers ...

I think Thomas has made with the listreveal / ToDoNow combo more than an
app--its a really good instance of an INTERFACE. Even if the To Do's are
not your thing its worth looking at. Its rich, yet still intuitively easy
to use.

I think the mechanism could be used as a BLUEPRINT for lots of Apps.

I'm considering using it as model for an interface for writing Screenplays.

2017-09-08 13:23:20 UTC
Ciao Thomas

A few comments, some suggestions & a minor bug note ...

*COMMENTS*

*"Alarms" -- *Worked seamlessly for me. I been using it over a month. Very
good. No issues. Incredibly useful.

Because I close the TW every night, the next morning on opening I see
alerts for everything urgent I need to.

*Outlook -- *Neat feature. Helps orientate. Minimal footprint. Its
practically very useful to me when I get in a mess with my schedule and
need to quickly see what I need to put right.

*SUGGESTIONS*

*Date Display* -- Not sure if its possible but I don't read dates well in
the format "2017-09-07". Any chance of the display format: *day: date: mon:
year? *E.g. like this (in English) ...

*Mon 7 Sep 17*
*Alarm Time Display? *-- At the moment you have to hover on an alarm to see
the time setting. I'd find it more useful if the time of an alarm, once
set, was displayed. E.g. like this ...

*17:45*
The point is that its a deadline. *Once you move it to the ToDoNow section
I'd like it displayed *because on that one day you may have, for instance,
3 deadlines. Its important to be able to see them in that context.

NOTE: I personally *do NOT need alarm times showing in the ToDo or ToDoDone
sections*.

*Spacing* -- Whilst ToDoNow is minimalist in design I think you are
sometimes over generous with spacing ... Like this that occurs between
sections... Could it be tightened?

*Create / Edit in Popup or modal?* -- I may have suggested this before.
Since ToDoNow is not just an app, its an INTERFACE, I'm wondering IF when
you invoke the full editor it can be in a POPUP or MODAL.

The point is that IF you go the normal route to creating a Tiddler then it
breaks the visual minimalism of the interface. Since ALL Tiddlers created
through the ToDoNow interface immediately appear in the ToDoNow interface
leaving them on screen as independent Tiddlers is redundant.

I guess an easier way than coding for pop-ups might be to enforce only the
SAVE & CLOSE button on all Tiddler creation / edits (which you recently
worked on). That would be a workable solution too.

*BUGS?*
Only thing I found so far ... that Mark S. commented already on is that the
"User Filter" is missing on the page even though it can be configured ...

Thank you for an absolutely brilliant piece of work.

Thomas Elmiger
2017-09-08 21:50:06 UTC
Hello early adopters ;–)

There is an update for you:

Version 1.0.8

- User filters are back – better than ever!
- Configuration info update – how to translate/adjust date and time
formats (it’s meant to be easy – let me know if you need help)

Both https://tid.li/tw5/tdn.html and https://tid.li/tw5/plugins.html are up
to date.

Thanks, good night & all the best!

Thomas
Thomas Elmiger
2017-09-10 10:33:59 UTC
Ciao Josiah, thanks for your detailed feeback!
Post by @TiddlyTweeter
*SUGGESTIONS*
*Date Display* -- Not sure if its possible but I don't read dates well in
mon: year? *E.g. like this (in English)
I hope the new explanations on the *configuration* tab will help you to
create your own "language" with your desired formatting.

Post by @TiddlyTweeter
the time setting. I'd find it more useful if the time of an alarm, once
set, was displayed. E.g. like this ...
*17:45*
Is it correct you would like to see this on alerts/reminders directly?
(Will consider this for next update.)

Post by @TiddlyTweeter
I'd like it displayed *because on that one day you may have, for
instance, 3 deadlines. Its important to be able to see them in that context.
You should only have one single item in the
Now section ;–)
If you sort the list below according to deadlines the other tasks for the
day should stay in context. Or you can dispay them in the "today" outlook
list.

*Spacing* -- Whilst ToDoNow is minimalist in design I think you are
sometimes over generous with spacing ... Like this that occurs between
sections... Could it be tightened?

I will have a look at this for the next release – I am not a designer
though.

*Create / Edit in Popup or modal?* -- I may have suggested this before.
Since ToDoNow is not just an app, its an INTERFACE, I'm wondering IF when
you invoke the full editor it can be in a POPUP or MODAL.

You have suggested this before :) I will try the DoneClose way first.

Keep the feedback coming, even if I am slow processing it!

All the best,
-t
2017-09-10 11:24:46 UTC
Ciao Thomas

*DATE DISPLAY*
Post by @TiddlyTweeter
mon: year? *E.g. like this (in English)
Thomas:
Post by @TiddlyTweeter
create your own "language" with your desired formatting.
That's *excellent* and was EASY. Till looking at those files I had not
realised you could configure so much through the "language" packs.

*Its perhaps worth mentioning that configurability more upfront. *

*DEADLINE TIME DISPLAY IN TODONOW SECTION*
Post by @TiddlyTweeter
(Will consider this for next update.)
You should only have one single item in the
Now section ;–)
FYI, it often happens to me that I have 2 or three deadlines to meet ON THE
SAME DAY. I don't think that is so unusual :-).

I have to know what is at *14:30* and what is at *15:32*. Its not JUST the
order that matters. Its that I need to SEE the time deadline--so I can
mentally calculate "I have 45 minutes to finish this ..." (Before I light
another cigarette :-)

I'd like to see times in the ToDoNow section like THIS where an Alarm is
set ...

[ ] TITLE 15:32 Sun 10 Sep 17 (Stopwatch) (Priority) etc

Hope this is clear.

TchÃŒss
2017-09-10 12:00:57 UTC
Ciao Thomas

*SUGGESTIONS ON APPEARANCE*1 - *Option To Hide The Head Area: *In line with
idea its an INTERFACE ... Could there be a User Config Option to "Hide the
Header" ... what I mean is that at the moment on my ToDo Now its head looks
like this ...

But I'd prefer it looked like this, without the header ...

2 - *Background Colour On Outlook*: IMO this would look* better if the
background colour for the items themselves were also YELLOW*. That would
also make it consistent. so ...

- White background ToDo
- Grey background ToDoNow.
- Yellow background Outlook.

Right now it looks like this ...

TchÃŒss
2017-09-11 09:30:59 UTC
Ciao Thomas

*SUGGESTION - GO ALL THE WAY WITH "LANGUAGE" TIDDLERS?*
I noticed that *some parts of ToDoNow have HARD-CODED ENGLISH *... section
titles for instance, and a couple of slogans.

Given that you have already have modularised language well would it not be
better that ALL language use was modularised?

It also has the advantage that a user like me could customise a new
"language" tiddler so that on upgrades I no longer have to manually hack
the interface to get it looking as I need :-).

I'll shut-up after this for a bit :-)

TchÃŒss
Thomas Elmiger
2017-09-11 15:04:18 UTC
Well, you are absolutely right, Josiah.
I think I will put this on my (very long) list (with high priority though)
and work in that direction during the next revisions.

All the best!
Thomas

@TiddlyTweeter <***@assays.tv> schrieb am Mo. 11. Sep. 2017 um
Post by @TiddlyTweeter
Ciao Thomas
*SUGGESTION - GO ALL THE WAY WITH "LANGUAGE" TIDDLERS?*
I noticed that *some parts of ToDoNow have HARD-CODED ENGLISH *...
section titles for instance, and a couple of slogans.
Given that you have already have modularised language well would it not be
better that ALL language use was modularised?
It also has the advantage that a user like me could customise a new
"language" tiddler so that on upgrades I no longer have to manually hack
the interface to get it looking as I need :-).
I'll shut-up after this for a bit :-)
TchÃŒss
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/bcdb4316-172f-4eee-8391-c25d72cd3312%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/bcdb4316-172f-4eee-8391-c25d72cd3312%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>

Thomas Elmiger
LorenwÀldlistrasse 34
8630 RÃŒti ZH
2017-09-08 23:49:00 UTC
Thanks Thomas!

As a thought for future implementations, perhaps consider offering a
drop-down list of custom filters.

I'm wondering, did you develop or find any date comparison filters in your
application? That is, is there any way to make a filter that will compare
dates, and show/hide certain tiddlers based on dates?

On another topic, I'm wondering how (or if) people are implementing GTD
concepts. In particular, if projects are just tagged tiddlers, how does
anyone implement the GTD idea of a next action?

That is, if there are multiple tiddlers associated with a Project/Tag, how
is one particular one made the focus of attention?

Thanks!
Mark
Thomas Elmiger
2017-09-10 10:07:39 UTC
Hi Mark, thanks for your thoughts!

My comments on these:

As a thought for future implementations, perhaps consider offering a
Post by 'Mark S.' via TiddlyWiki
drop-down list of custom filters.
The user-filter functionality is meant to cover basic needs of advanced
users. I have no plans on expanding this feature any further because
advanced users could do that themselves ;–)
As an alternative you could use the filter tab of the TW advanced search –
I think it has an expandable list of filters.

I'm wondering, did you develop or find any date comparison filters in your
Post by 'Mark S.' via TiddlyWiki
application? That is, is there any way to make a filter that will compare
dates, and show/hide certain tiddlers based on dates?
There is the days filter operator (see tiddlywiki.com)
<http://tiddlywiki.com/#days%20Operator:%5B%5Bdays%20Operator%5D%5D%20%5B%5Bdays%20Operator%20(Examples)%5D%5D>,
I use it for my Outlook functionality that shows tasks for
today/tomorrow/next 7 days. It selects time periods starting from today. So
to select not this week (next 7 days) but next week (+8 up to +14 days) you
would use:

+[days:todo-deadline[14]!days:todo-deadline[7]]

I will add this to my filter examples and I made a pull request to optimise
the docs and example
<https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/pull/2972/files> of this feature
on tiddlywiki.com.

On another topic, I'm wondering how (or if) people are implementing GTD
Post by 'Mark S.' via TiddlyWiki
concepts. In particular, if projects are just tagged tiddlers, how does
anyone implement the GTD idea of a next action?
That is, if there are multiple tiddlers associated with a Project/Tag, how
is one particular one made the focus of attention?
I have to admit that I have never read a book on GTD concepts, I started to
call my solution a GTD thing after seeing users refer to it using this
term. It might not be correct in the sense of the original GTD system.
On the web I found differing interpretations/tips on the subject of next
action. One was about processing tasks until they are ready to do – I think
my flexible priorities would be one possibility to manage this, e.g. you
could define a priority "W" (needs work) and use numbers to prioritize
tasks that are ready. Would that answer your question?
Another article was about organizing stuff to put them under different
domains (@home, @office,
) or projects. As you say I use tags for
projects. For the domains I use different lists (in separate wikis).
If I missed a concept of next action please let me know!

Have a nice sunday!
Thomas
2017-09-12 14:07:22 UTC
My Todo is majorly broken at the moment. See the image. This happened once
when I first started but I thought I had just configured items out of
order. Now I'm thinking it has something to do with the way deadlines are
saved and/or recorded.

Suggestions?
Mark
2017-09-12 14:14:33 UTC
The problem disappeared when I removed a deadline on one of my items. But I
suspect the problem relates to calculating deadlines and will likely return
under the right (e.g. wrong) conditions.

Thanks,
Mark
Thomas Elmiger
2017-09-12 16:57:15 UTC
Hi Mark, any details about the date? Far in the future or in the past? Hour
set or only date?
I will change date calculations from my rather hacky first attempt to a
better system sooner or later. But for the moment more details would be
helpful because I have not encountered something similar lately.

-t

2017-09-12 17:30:29 UTC
Thomas & Mark S.

FWIW, I *never ever* had anything like that happen over months of usage.

Was I under the delusion that Thomas had solved all problems already :-).

Mark: Its likely a specific combo? Can you replicate do you think?

Interested.
2017-09-12 17:33:39 UTC
I was able to reproduce it on your original. It has to do partially with an
apostrophe in the text.

Change "Compare Files Sizes" to "Compare File's Sizes"

Move the item down to "waiting"

Change the date stamp to today.

The error will occur. If you have a draft of the problematic tiddler open,
then you will get two error sets. If you change the deadline to a future
date, the error will disappear again.

HTH
Mark
Thomas Elmiger
2017-09-12 17:35:54 UTC
Thanks, Mark, that's helpful!
-t
2017-09-12 17:47:56 UTC
Ciao Mark S.

I am in awe of your programming, debugging & analytic skills. I would not
want to meet you on a frosty night in Huddersfield to discuss either foo or
bar.

Do you have time for a day job too? :-)

Interested,
Thomas Elmiger
2017-09-12 19:55:34 UTC
O.k. Workaround first: You can
Compare File’s Sizes
while I am hunting the bug.

Happy apostrophing
-t
Thomas Elmiger
2017-09-13 20:08:31 UTC
Hi Mark

Thanks for breaking my stuff – this led to a new and better version,
hardened against single quote attacks.

Quotes – single ' and double " – can be used in task titles now (do not put
" at the end though)
*hint: a prime ′ is not a straight-apostrophe ' or a printer's apostrophe ’*

- listreveal updated to version 0.2.1
- reminders updated to version 0.1.4

Both https://tid.li/tw5/tdn.html and https://tid.li/tw5/plugins.html are up
to date.

Happy quoting,
Thomas
2017-10-06 17:59:00 UTC
I was trying out the trick to use the access key (letter S) to do the save.
Unfortunately it doesn't work in ToDoNow. I'm guessing one of the many
plugins is blocking that access key or the save. Would you happen to know
which one might interfere with key assignment or saving?

Thanks!
Mark
Thomas Elmiger
2017-10-06 18:28:17 UTC
Hi Mark

Could you supply additional information please?
– operating system
– browser
– exact key combination (? + s)
– plugins installed

Thank you
Thomas
2017-10-06 18:52:10 UTC
Hi Thomas,

Windows 7, Firefox 56 (64 bit)
Plugins: All the ones from TodoNow plus a couple others:

$:/plugins/ahahn/tinka
$:/plugins/bj/tiddlyclip
$:/plugins/kixam/datepicker
$:/plugins/kixam/moment
$:/plugins/telmiger/Clipboard
$:/plugins/telmiger/details
$:/plugins/telmiger/EditorCounter
$:/plugins/telmiger/EditorCounter-0.3.1-backup
$:/plugins/telmiger/listreveal
$:/plugins/telmiger/listreveal-0.1.7-backup
$:/plugins/telmiger/reminders
$:/plugins/telmiger/rpn
$:/plugins/telmiger/todonow
$:/plugins/telmiger/todonow-0.9.8-backup
$:/plugins/telmiger/todonow-1.0.1-backup
$:/plugins/telmiger/todonow/outlook
$:/plugins/tgrosinger/tw5-checklist
$:/plugins/tobibeer/split

The technique I'm referring to is here:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tiddlywiki/OJQ0yRq4zog/DqCXRmWxAgAJ

The key stroke I'm using is accesskey "s" which maps to alt-shift-S on
Windows.

Thanks!
Mark
Thomas Elmiger
2017-10-06 20:35:20 UTC
Hi Mark

In fact it is ToDoNow that breaks the accesskey functionality. According to
https://dequeuniversity.com/rules/axe/1.1/accesskeys accesskey codes must
be unique on the page. This is not the case when you have ToDoNow open - it
comes with two save buttons that are identical with the standard save
button in the right side bar. Obviously if you have three buttons using
accesskey s, Firefox activates none of them, even if they are identical.

So the solution for you would be to remove unused buttons or build your own
and only add the accesskey to this (your own) version. (You can close
ToDoNow and possibly other tiddlers with save buttons in them, but leave
the side bar open. Then the accesskey works.)

Good luck!
Thomas