[tw] Introduction to Tiddlyserver
RichardWilliamSmith
2017-09-22 10:05:54 UTC
Hi all,

I wrote a short tutorial on
Tiddlyserver: https://www.didaxy.com/introduction-to-tiddlyserver

Tiddlyserver is awesome and I want to try and make sure as many people as
possible can use it, as effortlessly as possible, so I'd really value your
feedback on anything that you think can be made clearer.

I'd obviously especially value Arlen's feedback and input - I hope you
don't mind?

Regards,
Richard
2017-09-22 10:58:59 UTC
Thank you Richard! If I get a chance this weekend I'll try to follow this.

<:-)

Hi all,
Arlen Beiler
2017-09-22 11:14:24 UTC
Hello Richard,
Looks great. I was thinking of doing this recently but hadn't taken the
time to do it. This is great. I do have a few comments.

I would tell them to run it using "node server" rather than "npm server"
unless you have a reason for doing it otherwise.
You only need the bookmarklet if the path to your files contains spaces.
Technically you only need it if the URL shown in the address bar once you
open the file contains spaces or the percent sign. This should be fixed in
TW5.1.15. File paths specified in settings.json are unrelated to this
problem. It is only the URL that the browser uses that has the problem.

The reason for this is that the put saver URI encodes the browser location
string again before using it, which results in a double URI encoded string.

It's hard to know how to differentiate between the two when writing
instructions but I thought I'd point it out.

My only other question is whether you considered using the bundled version
and what your thoughts are on that. There are several reasons for using the
bundled version.

- All the plugin tiddlers (including core) are compiled into one JSON
file per plugin. This drastically improves the load time for data folders,
especially on slower spinning disks, since it cuts down on the number of
files that need to be read.
- It does not include the editions folder -- which contains 2000+ files
-- since none of them are needed for TiddlyServer to operate. This cuts
down on the file count and makes it much more portable.
- All node_modules dependancies are included (except dev dependencies)
so "npm install" is not required.

Thanks again for your work on this. It looks nice and is well laid out. If
you would like to edit the README on the Github repository, you're welcome
to.

I'll try to get to your pull request here soon.

Thanks,
Arlen

On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 6:05 AM, RichardWilliamSmith <
Hi all,
I wrote a short tutorial on Tiddlyserver: https://www.
didaxy.com/introduction-to-tiddlyserver
Tiddlyserver is awesome and I want to try and make sure as many people as
possible can use it, as effortlessly as possible, so I'd really value your
feedback on anything that you think can be made clearer.
I'd obviously especially value Arlen's feedback and input - I hope you
don't mind?
Regards,
Richard
msgid/tiddlywiki/8dd770a1-0ace-4520-8801-0a08761d738e%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/8dd770a1-0ace-4520-8801-0a08761d738e%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
RichardWilliamSmith
2017-09-22 12:00:59 UTC
Thanks Arlen,
Post by Arlen Beiler
I would tell them to run it using "node server" rather than "npm server"
unless you have a reason for doing it otherwise.
That was a mistake. Fixed, thank you.
Post by Arlen Beiler
You only need the bookmarklet if the path to your files contains spaces.
Technically you only need it if the URL shown in the address bar once you
open the file contains spaces or the percent sign. This should be fixed in
TW5.1.15. File paths specified in settings.json are unrelated to this
problem. It is only the URL that the browser uses that has the problem.
The reason for this is that the put saver URI encodes the browser location
string again before using it, which results in a double URI encoded string.
It's hard to know how to differentiate between the two when writing
instructions but I thought I'd point it out.
I dealt with similar double encoding problems when I was doing the static
site stuff. I'll reword what I wrote.
Post by Arlen Beiler
[...]
I hadn't realised that the zipped version was better in those other ways,
but I did include instructions to download that version for people who
aren't using git. Perhaps everyone should do it that way? I'll look. I'm
also writing instructions for putting it on a Raspberry Pi and getting it
there is much easier with "git clone" and "npm install".

I'll look at again in the morning.
Post by Arlen Beiler
I'll try to get to your pull request here soon.
It's just a glorified shell-script launcher. Can you confirm that Windows
users are able to launch Tiddlyserver by double-clicking start.cmd? Do they
see the process run in a window? (if not, how do they stop it?)

Regards,
Richard
Arlen Beiler
2017-09-22 17:12:02 UTC
There is the bundled version and there is the source code version. Both are
on the release page. The source code version is generated by GitHub, which
I then download and add the node_modules folder to. This becomes the
bundled version. I explain how to use the bundled version in the readme as
well.

Yes, start.cmd can be used to run TiddlyServer on Windows.

Arlen
Post by Arlen Beiler
[...]
msgid/tiddlywiki/5866b68d-a629-4368-b428-e087a0c930b9%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/5866b68d-a629-4368-b428-e087a0c930b9%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
2017-09-22 17:41:36 UTC
Ciao Arlen & RichardWS

From my perspective there is the Ordinary User Version (me) and the Other
Thing people who like node like.

*I think some emphasis on the ease of install of the "bundled" version that
basically gives you the ability to save your TiddlyWiki and nothing else
would be good*. I think it likely that it will be the BUNDLED version that
will need to be understood most during the apocalypse.

RichardWilliamSmith
2017-09-22 21:34:55 UTC
Ah, thanks Arlen - for some reason I missed the fact that each release had
all those different builds. I'll tweak the instructions again in a little
while.

Josiah - my instructions are targeting the 'bundled' version. It's still a
bundle of 'source code' because that's all Javascript ever is (it never
gets compiled). At the moment, you need to

1. Install a program (node.js)
2. Download and extract a zip file
3. Edit a file and save it with a different name (you can copy and paste a
working set of text for this file from my tutorial)
4. Run the program - hopefully by double-clicking the file 'start.cmd' (if
you are on Windows)

You should try it. It's pretty easy.

Regards,
Richard

JWHoneycutt
2017-09-23 12:46:25 UTC
On Friday, September 22, 2017 at 6:05:54 AM UTC-4, RichardWilliamSmith
Post by RichardWilliamSmith
https://www.didaxy.com/introduction-to-tiddlyserver
Picking up where my trouble starts...
What You Need

You need to install Node.js, which you can do just like any other app, from
here: https://nodejs.org (the LTS, "Long Term Support" version will be best
for most people)

Then you need to download and install Tiddlyserver itself. The best way to
do so is to go here:https://github.com/Arlen22/TiddlyServer/releases and
download the most recent zip file, then unzip it.

On my mac, it unzips into my download directory. I figure I should move it
someplace, so I sent the whole directory to my Documents folder.

If you would prefer to use git and have it installed, you can do git clone
https://github.com/Arlen22/TiddlyServer from the command line, or use
Github Desktop for an easier alternative. If use git, you'll also need to
run npm install from the main directory to install the dependencies. Note
also that the git repo contains a lot of unused files and the stable
release (zip file) contains other optimisations that also make it run
faster.
Settings

Now we need to create a settings file, in the directory we just created,
which will be called settings.json. You can either follow the steps and
reasoning outlined below, or just create a file with that name, skip to the
next section (settings.json), and give it the content listed there.

In the folder you just created, you can find the file example-settings.json
and open it in an editor.

If you don't normally use an editor, you probably nevertheless have one
installed and 'double-clicking' the file may well open it in a suitable app
that shouldn't be too hard to use.

We need to change a lot of things in this file. To begin with, it looks
like this:

{
// all comments need to be removed from this file
"tree": {
"dropbox": "C:\\Users\\Someone\\Dropbox\\TiddlyWiki",
"tiddlywiki": "C:\\TiddlyWiki5-5.1.14",
"relative": "../relative_to_settings_file",
"branch": {
"twig1": "C:/Some Folder",
"twig2": "C:/Some Other Folder"
}
},
//this is the default value if types is not specified
//this only applies to the directory listing
//specifies file extensions for each icon in the files folder
"types":{
"htmlfile": ["htm", "html"]
},
"username": "",
"password": "",
//127.0.0.1 (the default) serves on localhost, 0.0.0.0 serves on all network connections.
"host": "127.0.0.1",
"port": 8080,
//remove or set to an empty string to disable backups when saving single-file wikis
"backupDirectory": "backup"
}

As it says, we need to remove all the comments.

We also need to change the entries in the 'tree' at the top to match the
places on our filing system we want to serve files from.

If we want to serve files to the whole network, we should change 127.0.0.1
to 0.0.0.0 (we've done this below but you can leave it as 127.0.0.1 if you
want to restrict access to just your own machine.

If we want to, we can change the port number to something else (if you
don't know what this means, there's very little chance you would need to
change it).

To avoid a current quirk, which prevents saving, we also need to either
create a directory called 'backup', to save backups in, or delete the value
'backup' from the last line.

I'm not sure where the "backup" directory should go, I initially placed it
inside Documents - but it failed to work (probably because I allowed this
folder to be placed on the iCloud drive and my paths aren't working), since
moved to a newly created Docs folder: /Users/jwh/Docs

Once we've made the changes we need to save this file with a different name
(usually 'save as' or similar'). It needs to be called settings.json.

The result should look like this looks like this: settings.json

{
"tree": {
"mac_everybody": "/Users",
"windows_everybody": "C:\\Users",
},
"types":{
"htmlfile": ["htm", "html"]
},
"username": "",
"password": "",
"host": "0.0.0.0",
"port": 8080,
"backupDirectory": ""
}

Note that the only difference between Windows and Unix/Mac is the style of
the paths. I've included an example of each here, you should delete the one
that doesn't apply.

You can add as many entries as you like and they can be nested too, as
shown in example-settings.json, but they don't need to be. The simplest
configuration is a single entry.
Running Tiddlyserver

Now we can run Tiddlyserver.

I think that if you're using Windows(tm), you should be able to
double-click start.cmd and the process should run. (is that right?)

If you're using a Mac, a similar mechanism is also possible, but the file
you need isn't included yet (I sent a pull request: Hi Arlen!)

To run the app from the command line, in the top directory of the
repository (where you will already be, if you did npm install above) just
type;

node server

I don't know what is meant by the top directory of the repository. I did
not use Git - I unzipped from the Arlen link and created a directory for
it. In terminal, I CD (Change Directory) and get to /Users/jwh/Docs
directory, run "node server" and get a parsing error at location 75
(wherever that is). I recreate settings.json and copy it into every
possible location throughout the directory tree and try again

module.js:471 throw err; ^ Error: Cannot find module
'/Users/jwh/Docs/server' at Function.Module._resolveFilename
(module.js:469:15) at Function.Module._load (module.js:417:25) at
Module.runMain (module.js:604:10) at run (bootstrap_node.js:389:7) at
startup (bootstrap_node.js:149:9) at bootstrap_node.js:502:3 So I copy
server.js to /Users/jwh/Docs and rerun node server - and now it wants /lib
files... I realize that I should be in directory
/Users/jwh/Docs/TiddlyServer-2.0.6 And I get my original parse error at
location 75

You should see a message in your terminal, telling you that Tiddlyserver
has started. It will give you the ip address and port that it's running on,
which you can enter in the address bar of your browser to see the main
file-explorer view.
RichardWilliamSmith
2017-09-23 14:10:55 UTC
Hmmm... red. What a friendly colour. Not sure if this is intended to be
purely information of some kind or whether you actually want some help but
I'll assume the latter.
Post by JWHoneycutt
On my mac, it unzips into my download directory. I figure I should move it
someplace, so I sent the whole directory to my Documents folder.
It should unzip right next to wherever the zip file is. Presumably the zip
file was in your downloads directory? This is fine. You can move it if you
want to. It doesn't matter.

Post by JWHoneycutt
inside Documents - but it failed to work (probably because I allowed this
folder to be placed on the iCloud drive and my paths aren't working), since
moved to a newly created Docs folder: /Users/jwh/Docs
I think it just goes in the directory you just downloaded and unzipped. I
didn't try it. Just delete the entry in the config file to begin with.

Post by JWHoneycutt
not use Git - I unzipped from the Arlen link and created a directory for
it. In terminal, I CD (Change Directory) and get to /Users/jwh/Docs
directory, run "node server" and get a parsing error at location 75
(wherever that is). I recreate settings.json and copy it into every
possible location throughout the directory tree and try again
Ok. Well, that directory you made is the top directory of the repository.
I'll revisit my use of the term repository, perhaps that is confusing. I'll
perhaps try just referring to it as the 'tiddlyserver folder'

You need to run this command from the right directory. The one you
downloaded and unzipped. Hopefully you have installed Node. This command
will run node, looking for server(.js). Alternatively, you could run 'node
start'

Post by JWHoneycutt
'/Users/jwh/Docs/server' at Function.Module._resolveFilename
(module.js:469:15) at Function.Module._load (module.js:417:25) at
Module.runMain (module.js:604:10) at run (bootstrap_node.js:389:7) at
startup (bootstrap_node.js:149:9) at bootstrap_node.js:502:3
Because you're in the wrong directory so it can't find server.js

Post by JWHoneycutt
wants /lib files... I realize that I should be in directory
/Users/jwh/Docs/TiddlyServer-2.0.6 And I get my original parse error at
location 75
Because it needs all the other files too.

Did you get it to work in the end?
JWHoneycutt
2017-09-23 19:46:47 UTC
Hi RichardWilliamSmith,

Thank you for your work on simplifying the installation of TiddlyServer.

I've decided to simplify everything I can and just try to get to a
functioning version of TiddlyServer.

Everything "TiddlyServer" is in this folder: Users/jwh/Docs/TiddlyServer

Here is my settings.json file:

{
"tree": {
"dropbox": "/Users/jwh/Dropbox/TW5"
}
},
"types":{
"htmlfile": ["htm", "html"]
},
"username": "",
"password": "",
"host": "0.0.0.0",
"port": 8080
}

I'm assuming that Dropbox is a good place to keep my TW5 files, and that
the syntax above is correct. BTW, I did install Node (https://nodejs.org)

I open terminal, and enter "node server" - and here is the response:

JWH-MBA:TiddlyServer jwh$ node server

Settings file: /Users/jwh/Docs/TiddlyServer/settings.json

The settings file could not be parsed correctly

SyntaxError: Unexpected token , in JSON at position 75

at Object.parse (native)

at Object.<anonymous> (/Users/jwh/Docs/TiddlyServer/server.js:29:21)

at Module._compile (module.js:570:32)

at Object.Module._extensions..js (module.js:579:10)

at Module.load (module.js:487:32)

at tryModuleLoad (module.js:446:12)

at Function.Module._load (module.js:438:3)

at Module.runMain (module.js:604:10)

at run (bootstrap_node.js:389:7)

at startup (bootstrap_node.js:149:9)

at bootstrap_node.js:502:3

caught process uncaughtException

It seems like I have a syntax error in my settings.json - Do you see one?

Thanks again for your help on my behalf
Arlen Beiler
2017-09-23 20:47:13 UTC
Yes, I do. After studying it for a whole minute or two, I noticed that
there are actually two brackets supposedly closing the tree object.
However, there is only one opening bracket. The indentation kind of hides
it.
Post by JWHoneycutt
[...]
msgid/tiddlywiki/3a2f6845-5507-4de5-9480-2248d4083f34%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/3a2f6845-5507-4de5-9480-2248d4083f34%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
RichardWilliamSmith
2017-09-23 23:43:37 UTC
Hi,

Yes Arlen is right. There's an extra curly brace.
Post by JWHoneycutt
{
"tree": {
"dropbox": "/Users/jwh/Dropbox/TW5"
}
},
"types":{
"htmlfile": ["htm", "html"]
},
"username": "",
"password": "",
"host": "0.0.0.0",
"port": 8080
}
Hi Arlen: this is why we need to figure out how to add a configurator to
the app somehow - editing JSON is just too hard without a proper editor
(which would in this case have warned about the mismatched brackets).

Tiddlyclip suffers a similar problem, IMO, although that's not JSON just a
text tiddler that needs to be edited quite carefully to avoid breaking
things.

I did just find this http://jsoneditoronline.org/ online, which should
help. But the step about "edit the json file" is still way out of line with
how simple the other instructions are.

I think you should ship a working version of the settings.json file that
should work everywhere, like the one I list in my tutorial. Even if you
include a path for each of WIndows/unix to the top directory, at least one
of them should work.

@JWH - Arlen pulled in a request that I made that adds a file called
Tiddlyserver.app (for Mac), which I have also attached here. If you want to
try it, you should be able to put this is the Tiddlyserver folder (at the
top level) and 'double click' to launch the server. It's just a little
wrapper to run the shell script, but it should mean we can avoid the
command line altogether if we figure out the settings file. Thank you for
your help in getting the instructions right - we obviously still have a few
wrinkles to iron out. Thanks for your patience.
RichardWilliamSmith
2017-09-23 23:49:03 UTC
Hmmm... Possibly the copy of Tiddlyserver.app I just posted doesn't work
right. I'm conscious of possibly confusing things here more than they need
to be. The file in the repo is
here:https://github.com/Arlen22/TiddlyServer/tree/master/Tiddlyserver.app/Contents/MacOS

But probably best to just get the basic app working first. Hopefully you
have a server running now?

On Sunday, September 24, 2017 at 9:43:37 AM UTC+10, RichardWilliamSmith
{
JWHoneycutt
2017-09-24 15:58:49 UTC
@Richard and Arlen

@JWH - Arlen pulled in a request that I made that adds a file called
Post by RichardWilliamSmith
Tiddlyserver.app (for Mac), which I have also attached here. If you want to
try it, you should be able to put this is the Tiddlyserver folder (at the
top level) and 'double click' to launch the server. It's just a little
wrapper to run the shell script, but it should mean we can avoid the
command line altogether if we figure out the settings file. Thank you for
your help in getting the instructions right - we obviously still have a few
wrinkles to iron out. Thanks for your patience.
https://github.com/Arlen22/TiddlyServer/tree/master/Tiddlyserver.app/Contents/MacOS
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2FArlen22%2FTiddlyServer%2Ftree%2Fmaster%2FTiddlyserver.app%2FContents%2FMacOS&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNE-mbudOmwE5eNx08trHNsnB4-23w>

It works! Thank you for your patience with me.

I'm not sure what the github link is supposed to do (or how to utilize it,
or if its for me or developers...)

When I open terminal, get to the correct directory, and type node server -
I get the following instructions:

Open your browser and type in one of the following:

10.0.1.6:8080

10.62.11.6:8080

Although the second one only locks up every browser, the first link does
work. I can then start digging into my Dropbox directories to find the file
I'm after. It works in any browser and even on my ipad or iphone.

Apparently I must keep terminal active or the "server" is gone.

How can I start terminal (and the server) using only my ipad? Should I
load a terminal emulator? Do you have one you recommend?

Again thank you - I love it already.

JWH
RichardWilliamSmith
2017-09-24 22:35:39 UTC
Post by RichardWilliamSmith
https://github.com/Arlen22/TiddlyServer/tree/master/Tiddlyserver.app/Contents/MacOS
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2FArlen22%2FTiddlyServer%2Ftree%2Fmaster%2FTiddlyserver.app%2FContents%2FMacOS&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNE-mbudOmwE5eNx08trHNsnB4-23w>
It works! Thank you for your patience with me.
I'm not sure what the github link is supposed to do (or how to utilize it,
or if its for me or developers...)
"you should be able to put this is the Tiddlyserver folder (at the top
level) and 'double click' to launch the server"

It's a Mac app-wrapper that just runs 'node server' when it's double
clicked.
Post by RichardWilliamSmith
When I open terminal, get to the correct directory, and type node server -
10.0.1.6:8080
10.62.11.6:8080
I'm not sure what the second address is - seems related to your set up
rather than Tiddlyserver. If you want to explore, you could try typing
'ifconfig' to see your networking setup, but probably don't bother.
Post by RichardWilliamSmith
Apparently I must keep terminal active or the "server" is gone.
Yes, the server runs as a process in the shell. There's no problem with
leaving the shell running while your computer's open. If you shutdown your
computer, obviously it will go away.

If you want to close the terminal, you can run Tiddlyserver in the
background, by appending a " &" to the end of the command, but then you
will need to know how to kill it when the time arises (you need the process
number which is returned when you run it (which you can also get by typing
'ps aux | grep server') and then you can 'sudo kill' the process.

I'm writing instructions for the Raspberry Pi and they will explain how to
run it as a service in more detail.

How can I start terminal (and the server) using only my ipad? Should I
Post by RichardWilliamSmith
load a terminal emulator? Do you have one you recommend?
Any ssh client for the iPad should let you log in to your Mac, as long as
port 22 is open, but I wouldn't recommend doing that. You'll only be able
to log in if the mac is switched on anyway, so you might as well just have
the server running all the time.
Post by RichardWilliamSmith
Again thank you - I love it already.
JWH
No problems. I'd appreciate it if you could revisit this with any specific
suggestions about how the documentation can be improved, once you're sure
you have everything working. I am already thinking it probably best to
remove any mention of git from this document.
Birthe C
2017-09-24 22:50:05 UTC
I have Tiddlyserver running now on my linux computer. But I am wondering
where to put the backup folder?

Birthe
RichardWilliamSmith
2017-09-25 02:16:36 UTC
Hi Birthe,

Thanks, your query prompted me to investigate. It appears that, by default
the 'backup' directory goes in the Tiddlyserver folder itself ie; if you
just write

"backupDirectory": "backup"

In the settings.json file.

But you can also write a full path in there, like so

"backupDirectory": "/Users/didaxy/backups"

And it will work, as long as that folder exists. The back ups are zip files.

Thanks again, I'll add this to the tutorial as well.

Regards,
Richard
RichardWilliamSmith
2017-09-25 05:49:05 UTC
Thanks again, all, for your feedback so far. I updated the
tutorial: https://www.didaxy.com/introduction-to-tiddlyserver

Any further suggestions gratefully received.

Regards,
Richard
JWHoneycutt
2017-10-09 01:57:18 UTC
Richard,

The introduction to Terminal is great - cleared a lot of things up for me -
Thanks

https://www.didaxy.com/a-crash-course-in-the-mac-terminal

I have a new MacBook, and wanted to reinstall TiddlyServer. It is very
frustrating. You helped me out last time and I got it working, so I
thought it would be easier to get the settings.json file correct. The
syntax of the Dropbox reference continues to elude me. I've tried it with
and without: the following "/", the leading "/Users/jwh, or /jwh...

{
"tree": {
"dropbox": "/Dropbox"
},
"types":{
"htmlfile": ["htm", "html"]
},
"username": "",
"password": "",
"host": "0.0.0.0",
"port": 8080,
"backupDirectory": "backup"
}

In the server, it yields:

Parent directory: / <http://10.0.1.26:8080/>
NameTypeSize
dropbox <http://10.0.1.26:8080/dropbox> error

Fix Put Saver Bookmarklet

TiddlyServer v2.0.6

And clicking the dropbox link does not work like it did before. I know the
fix must be easy, but I haven't found it.

Can you help me one last time?
JWHoneycutt
2017-10-09 02:12:26 UTC
"dropbox": "/Users/jwh/Dropbox/TW5"

I just answered my own question - here is the syntax that works for my
situation

Thanks
Arlen Beiler
2017-10-09 02:27:41 UTC
Ah, nice! Just noticed this tonight. Yes, double-clicking start.cmd will
simply run the command "node server", which will start TiddlyServer. And
now that I notice that you wrote this email on Sep 25, I guess we're still
working on the mac part. But if there is a simple mac equivalent to
start.bat, I'd be happy to include it.

On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 1:49 AM, RichardWilliamSmith <
Post by RichardWilliamSmith
https://www.didaxy.com/introduction-to-tiddlyserver
Any further suggestions gratefully received.
Regards,
Richard
msgid/tiddlywiki/70efbf8d-d737-46ad-bc69-fe78552f2669%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/70efbf8d-d737-46ad-bc69-fe78552f2669%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
Arlen Beiler
2017-09-24 06:12:15 UTC
As part of some of my other work I have a mostly working json editor made
in tiddlywiki for my robot that may be useful for this. I need to clean it
up a lot and I have been terrible about sharing the things I have made
recently but we are hoping to use tiddlyserver to organise our internal
documentation and tools so I will hopefully have time to clean things up
and share what I make soon.
kelsang sherab
2017-09-24 15:35:14 UTC
My first feedback is 'Oh no!'

Will it not be better simply to try and adapt the tiddlyfox add-on?

I am saying this only because I am one of those peopel who can mess the
simplest instalation up.
I do not do this on purpose - its just how it is. sorry.

Just looking at the instruction in 'Introduction to Tiddlyserver' I got
dizzy.
I know that putting this on my Linux machine is going to be another week of
stupid questions to the kind peopel of Tiddlywikki on this group.

Bearing this in mind I was very sad to hear that the tiddlyfox is not going
to work soon and my question is
can you magicians not simply do another tiddlyfox?

Cheers for all your hard work

On Friday, September 22, 2017 at 11:05:54 AM UTC+1, RichardWilliamSmith
RichardWilliamSmith
2017-09-24 22:24:11 UTC
Hi Kelsang,

I'm sorry this makes your head spin. There are really only a few steps,
I've tried to go into as much detail as possible, but there are really only
a few steps. Perhaps I can make it clearer. If you find any specific steps
confusing, please let me know.

Please understand that the problems with Tiddlyfox are caused by Firefox,
not by Tiddlywiki and we would replace Tiddlyfox if it was possible, but it
isn't.

Tiddlyserver has been around for a little while and I am trying to document
it so that others can take advantage of it if they want to. There are other
options that you can explore also.

Regards,
Richard
kelsang sherab

RichardWilliamSmith
2017-10-11 22:00:13 UTC
Hi Kelsang,

Yes - they should work without modification on Linux. Let me know if you
have any problems.

Regards,
Richard

PS: I just noticed this thread is marked 'completed' - how does that
happen, when it was my thread? Can *anyone* mark a thread completed?
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.didaxy.com%2Fintroduction-to-tiddlyserver&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNHtYdflf8G9Mj8JFWhvr8mvEpvGng>
2017-10-12 21:42:51 UTC
Richard,

When viewing the thread in Google Groups there is a tick, Mark Complete at
the bottom left of every reply. I believe this comes from Googles
collaborative group settings. Similar additional flags are a recent
enhancement to GSuite Groups.

On Thursday, October 12, 2017 at 9:00:14 AM UTC+11, RichardWilliamSmith