[tw] Challenge: Table consisting of tiddlers
2017-08-12 15:46:29 UTC
Inspired by the really high quality discussions/help lately, I wanted to
take the opportunity for a little challenge:

*What's the best way to construct a table consisting of tiddlers?*
*You should also be be able to "target" an arbitrary tiddler therein, i.e
so you can access its fields data.*

*Bonus challenge: Target a specific row or column, i.e all tiddlers
therein.*

The formulation above is intentionally vague so different ideas can be put
forth and trigger thoughts one might not get otherwise BUT

Background:

The question came up as I'm fiddling around with ideas for the Graphs
<http://graphs.tiddlyspot.com/> plugin framework. If I'm lucky you guys
pick up on this (stand-alone) challenge, but just maybe I'd be able to
incorporate something of it into Graphs.

Also, I recall Jeremy long ago expressed a desire for tables-from-tiddlers.
I guess now is as good a time as any.

Jan Johannpeter
2017-08-16 10:04:27 UTC
Hey Mat,
I have an example working here: http://roguelike.tiddlyspot.com/...See the
dungeoneditor.
It should be easy to adapt to your purpose. (Graphs is a great plugin by
the way...).

Cheers Jan
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/a57da8b1-2718-4845-ac61-016c2c64d3a7%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/a57da8b1-2718-4845-ac61-016c2c64d3a7%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
'Stephen Kimmel' via TiddlyWiki
2017-08-22 12:46:55 UTC
Looking at your challenge again, I stumbled into what I'll refer to as the
FlexBox solution. This may not be quite what you were looking for but you
may find it interesting.

The listing of the tiddlers is a filtered list displaying a link to the
individual tiddlers and a display of the tiddler itself using a template.
What makes it look like a table is the styling. The flex-container sets the
table to the full width allowed in the tiddler area and wraps the listing
to the next line. The flex-item controls the basic dimensions of the
tiddler display while the overflow:hidden limits the tiddler display to a
thumbnail of the tiddler. I threw on the outset border style just to be
cute. The flex-item:hover causes the thumbnail to expand to a larger
version with the overflow set to auto so that the entire tiddler can be
viewed.

.flex-container {
display: -webkit-flex;
display: flex;
width: 100%;
background-color: <<colour background>>;
-webkit-flex-wrap: wrap;
flex-wrap: wrap;
}

.flex-item {
width: 150px;
height: 200px;
margin: 10px;
overflow:hidden;
padding: 5px;
border-style: outset;
}

.flex-item:hover{background-color:black;
width: 300px;
height: 300px;
overflow:auto;
}

<$list filter="[tag[series]sort[title]limit[50]]">
<$link>
<h3><$view field="title"}}/></h3>
</$link>
{{||Fields}}