[tw] TiddlyMap, politicial map, democracy
Add Reply
Alex Hough
2017-05-09 15:46:37 UTC
Dear All,

I've been following a news story on Twitter [1] and have made a quick TW [2]

The larger context [3] is complex, i think TW could help people navigate
the situtation

best wishes

Alex

[1] https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/861346191115735040
[2] https://alexhough.github.io/CambridgeAnalytica
[3]
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/may/07/the-great-british-brexit-robbery-hijacked-democracy
2017-05-09 17:59:48 UTC
Ciao Alex

I thought it is well worth showing.

Josiah
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fcarolecadwalla%2Fstatus%2F861346191115735040&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNFwe0iXePqRxitD1T2WEYkiIESq3Q>
[2] https://alexhough.github.io/CambridgeAnalytica
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Falexhough.github.io%2FCambridgeAnalytica&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNGzkGzaXLg9gCF_Kw0ot022eJA2jQ>
Alex Hough
2017-05-09 18:43:19 UTC
Hello,

It occurred to me that TW could get a boost though engagement with news
stories emerging via twitter. The new trend-- if we can call it that-- of
making threads by replying to yourself comes quite close to a set of
tiddlers. Dreaming for a second-- what if a TW were used in a newspaper
story by the newspaper. As an index maybe?

TW is a "non-linear web based notebook", I was thinking that a possible
niche use is a "non-linear web based index". Twitter threads and news
stories relate to each other, but the reader comes into the text from any
number of points.

best wishes

Alex
Post by Alex Hough
[1] https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/861346191115735040
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fcarolecadwalla%2Fstatus%2F861346191115735040&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNFwe0iXePqRxitD1T2WEYkiIESq3Q>
[2] https://alexhough.github.io/CambridgeAnalytica
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Falexhough.github.io%2FCambridgeAnalytica&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNGzkGzaXLg9gCF_Kw0ot022eJA2jQ>
[3] https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/may/07/the-
great-british-brexit-robbery-hijacked-democracy
[2] https://alexhough.github.io/CambridgeAnalytica
[3] https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/may/07/the-
great-british-brexit-robbery-hijacked-democracy
msgid/tiddlywiki/0b14a2b3-cbe9-41ab-8553-0e73de5dfa04%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/0b14a2b3-cbe9-41ab-8553-0e73de5dfa04%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
Steven Schneider
HC Haase
2017-05-10 07:08:48 UTC
Post by Alex Hough
TW is a "non-linear web based notebook", I was thinking that a possible
niche use is a "non-linear web based index"
This is a very interesting idea. Finding the big picture of things is when
it gets fun. a long time ago I did a kind of similar mapping of relations
between ideas and discourses, and different account of the problem in a
conflict. The problem however became that everything more or less became
connected to everything.

I think to get these kind of relation mapping more clear, it would be
useful if hierarchies and strength of relations, could be represented more
clearly. Like in the map you made funding of 7,5 million and 714.000 have
the same visual link.
Alex Hough
2017-05-10 09:55:20 UTC
Hi,

tldr; some thoughts on notation of hypertexts

I've been interested in hypertext and complex systems for a while and had a
series of "Ah-Ah! moments" related to modelling. TW acts as a muse, as a
check. I like to think TW as a learning partner (OK I got this idea from
Luhmann), and computers in general as an aid to thinking. (The computer was
designed as a thought experiment to aid thinking in the first place)

I am a member of an Action Learning Set, a group of people who meet to help
each other with their mutual learning, and the Ah-Ah! moments come out of
this context.

One member of the group worked for ICL, a state run computer company. While
at ICL she worked on a notation for complex systems called POSD. The
departure from the mind-map, concept map family of depicting collections of
related things starts from the position of processes rather than objects
being the fundamental concern. Its all about the interaction of constantly
changing processes. For me, TW helps me understand and explore this. The
way updates happen right away, the way a list is produced from a filter,
and how that list can change when -- for example -- I remove a tag.

One of the problems of the "bubble and stick" diagrams is that the "sticks"
or lines joining the objects don't take up as much space on the page as a
2-D shape, yet it is the most complex entity in the model: its a collection
of dynamic processes itself. One of the reasons I like TW so much is that
everything is a tiddler. All things are equal, they just have different
roles: as a tag, as a stylesheet, as an image.... and the "contents" of the
tiddler can be dynamic.

In the days of ICL 1960s-1980s computer programming was very different, a
huge undertaking. The state of the art in the hardware and software was
lagging behind the theoretical understanding of computers and complex
systems. The people who worked there were mathematicians, physicists and
computer scientists, the computers were huge main-frame computers, very
slow by todays standards. Because of this maybe, theorising and planning
was (or appears to be from my perspective) of greater importance. A test
might take days to run on a computer. There was no super fast TiddlyWiki,
where you can make things very quickly.

It was interesting to Carole Cadwalladr's hand drawn image showing the
connections she's drawn out and posted to twitter. I am used to seeing
computer generated concept maps, they are part of an expected set of
artefacts business consultants like to display. The image clearly
illustrates the point about lines being less privileged than the shape. Its
not that we know that there is a flow of cash from one party to another,
its how we know that to check if the claim is valid.

The members of my Action Learning Set all come from a background in Viable
Systems Modelling. The modelling method uses what Stafford Beer calls
"recursion": inside a system is an identical system. All systems can be
modelled using a handful of systems at different scales.

Beer chose to draw his systems based on electrical circuit notation
inviting the idea that a system is like an electrical circuit, that
electricity is like information. The diagrams look very complex, the
problems start when you try to draw relationships which occur between
levels of recursion. The paper gets cluttered and the mind gets lost. There
is also the possibility of creating placeholders for systems which will
exist, but are away from the current focus. The danger with complex systems
is that your attention drifts off on a series non-linear path and they you
end up far away from your intended destination. This can be or course
rationalised, each diversion has a decision associated with it, the first
of which is "How much time should i devote to making this decision?".

The POSD notation is a lot simpler. Processes producing behaviours are
drawn and contained in a shape, if they touch they are said to interact.
Draw another shape around behaviours which contribute to another behaviour.
The notation is explained on a website in a particular stye. Revisiting
this webpage lead to the first Ah-Ah! Its designed for hand drawing and
thinking, not computer thinking!

The Ah-Ah came to me in a playground when I was with my 4 year old
daughter. Over the past 4 years I have used artists sketch pad to develop
my thinking. I now it in a rucksack and take it everywhere I go. You can
think outside! The batteries don't run out! There is no glare! And if you
want to, you can take a picture of the sketch on your phone, or a video, or
a panorama (provided your battery is charged) The digital camera, phone and
iPad have made sharing paper sketches easy!

I was sitting on a bench under a tree, a gentle breeze played with the
leaves: the sun shone through the leaves onto a sandpit. The surface of the
sand was changing all the time. The shadows dance on the surface, there are
footprints in the sand, a dandelion seed is blown across the grains of
sand. All the elements combined to create a wonderful atmosphere and induce
a peaceful state of mind. I had my pad out on the bench, and found myself
drawing a POSD diagram. I wanted to capture the processes inducing the
sensation in order to re-create it. I could have sketched out a picture
using pencil and pencil crayons, but then my attention would have turned to
the task of drawing lifelike representations of the scene. The joy of the
POSD is that it's a notation!

A notation! And notation in general: to some degree the method we use
affects the thoughts we generate with it!

So, seeing Cadwaladr's notation of the connections between what she claims
to be fact checked and "lawyered" was interesting to me. She said "I am not
an artist", to apologise for the quality of the diagram in advance. To me,
as someone involved in conversations about visual representation of
relationships between things, it was quite a surprise to see the diagram:
there was little consistency between line type! And why should there be?!
Coming at a visual representation with experience of trying to create such
images on computers means that there is a underlying need to what to let
the computer do the work of searching an classifying when things get too
complex for the human mind. The computer can help us be seeing different
perspectives on the system.

I wanted to copy Cadwaladr's diagram as closely as I could. But i ran into
myself when putting in the cash flows. I didn't want to create too many
edge-types (Felix warns against this, performance matters). Copying the
diagram would mean that I'd have to create a different edge-type for each
amount of cash being transferred. Instead I created a separate tiddler
with a title describing the flow, and used two "funds" edges to connect
them. I then put Cadwaladr's original label in the caption field.

Without the edge, TiddlyMap makes it very easy to emulate the notation of a
POSD diagram. However, the notation does not translate into TW logic.
Another Ah-Ah! for me is that this doesn't really matter!

TiddlyMap can be seen as the daddy of drag and drop in TiddlyLand, but the
recent drag and drop developments in the core mean that list items can be
re-ordered. Machine ordered lists are great, but sometimes the ordering is
not the most useful. For example, the Concept tagpill on TW.com... The
concepts are ordered alphabetically not in order of importance. The new
re-ording be drag and drop is wonderful for the process of thinking. Its
quicker and safer. You know the collection is not going to be messed about
with, there is a tag and a list!

Anyway... having said all that about notation, I would be wonderful if
TiddlyWeb had the capacity to add relationships between tiddlers by virtue
of them touching each other and by classiffying them by dragging them onto
a larger area.

Alex

http://www.prattens.co.uk/webposd/posd.htm
Post by Alex Hough
niche use is a "non-linear web based index"
This is a very interesting idea. Finding the big picture of things is when
it gets fun. a long time ago I did a kind of similar mapping of relations
between ideas and discourses, and different account of the problem in a
conflict. The problem however became that everything more or less became
connected to everything.
I think to get these kind of relation mapping more clear, it would be
useful if hierarchies and strength of relations, could be represented more
clearly. Like in the map you made funding of 7,5 million and 714.000 have
the same visual link.
msgid/tiddlywiki/63510427-1403-4383-be0d-df43f60a2c62%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/63510427-1403-4383-be0d-df43f60a2c62%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
Handoko Suwono

Alex Hough
2017-05-15 09:12:11 UTC
Hi handoko

here's the latest update

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/may/14/robert-mercer-cambridge-analytica-leave-eu-referendum-brexit-campaigns

I agree, I think it could be huge.

And I think there could be an opportunity for a TiddlyMap representation of
the story to become the first representation.
If it were hosted like TW, people could clone the map then submit pull
requests just like tw.

Hypothesis: TW and the infrastructure supporting its development provide
the necessary capacity to support collaborative investigative journalism.

Request: Anyone interested on doing some work on this? The goal could be an
emergent one, a IT support for Open Source citizen journalism

I can map very quickly, but don't yet know how to...

1. link a tiddler to a .tid file in a GitHub Repo.
2. work with pull requests: I imagine each tiddler on github

... and working out how to do this could take me some time (days in the
worse case scenario!)

Alex
Post by Alex Hough
Hi,
tldr; some thoughts on notation of hypertexts
I've been interested in hypertext and complex systems for a while and had
a series of "Ah-Ah! moments" related to modelling. TW acts as a muse, as a
check. I like to think TW as a learning partner (OK I got this idea from
Luhmann), and computers in general as an aid to thinking. (The computer was
designed as a thought experiment to aid thinking in the first place)
msgid/tiddlywiki/30348e8d-c4a2-4eb1-8d85-690aec9518ff%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/30348e8d-c4a2-4eb1-8d85-690aec9518ff%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>