[tw] [TW5] listing/transcluding snippets of highlighted text
Stefan Spycher
2017-10-12 07:26:56 UTC
Hi!

first off, i'm a newbie (been using TW for 4 days), but LOVE it.
tech-savvyness on a scale from 1 (aka: my grandmother) -10 (aka: your
typical nerd): 4

Use Case:
i'm taking many notes, pasting emails, taking meeting minutes etc in TW.
so, basically 'collecting' data.
about 1% of that turns out to be important enough to include into a weekly
report i'm sending out to peers and supervisors.
i'm currently marking / highlighting that 1% *inline* by using another tip
from this forum...i'm overriding the CSS for the subscript decoration

Q: is there a way to create a collector tiddler, that filters/searches for
the 'sub' CSS in all tiddlers, and transcludes the string i highlighted?

Thank you!

Mat
2017-10-12 09:34:27 UTC
Hi Stefan and welcome to TW! If you like TW - don't forget to tell your
friends <http://tiddlywiki.com/#HelpingTiddlyWiki>!

I made the CherryPicker <http://cherrypicker.tiddlyspot.com/> for pretty
much exactly what you ask for. It is not perfected though.
I believe fellow Thomas has made variant of this too (it may be his Extract
macro, not sure).

<:-)
Stefan Spycher
2017-10-12 13:22:06 UTC
Hey Mat, thanks a LOT for your help!

it might be TW version issue (or me just doing it wrong), but i'm not
getting clean results yet (see screenshot)
Stefan Spycher
2017-10-12 13:41:40 UTC
sorry, my previous comment got mangled by the screenshot somehow
please reduce my tech-savvyness index by 2 points :)

@Mat, i'm getting results, but they are garbled. I tired with several
markers (some weird, very distinct strings too) to no avail. am i doing it
wrong or am i facing a TW version incompatibility?

I would love getting this to work, it's as if you've read my mind

thanks
Stefan
Mat
2017-10-12 13:49:44 UTC
@Stefan

if I recall (it was a while ago!), the start- and end markers must be on
the format " &&Your Text" and "End Of Text&& " respectively, i.e note the
spaces and lack of spaces surrounding the "&&".

<:-)
Stefan Spycher

Mat
2017-10-13 10:47:50 UTC
Stefan, I'll look in to this but I can't say when. I'm already involved in
a few other things here so it may take time. Did you have a chance to look
up Thomas Elmigers version of this? It may be his extract macro but I'm not
quite sure. @Thomas - ?

<:-)
Thomas Elmiger
2017-10-13 11:03:47 UTC
Hi Stefan and Mat

My Extract macro should do the job. In a recent discussion we pointed out, that the documentation is lousy (sorry!), but the discussion itself should be helpful.

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer#!msg/tiddlywiki/u-Dq4CywvD0/vrL_gfB0AwAJ

Cheers,
Thomas
Stefan Spycher
2017-10-14 05:10:42 UTC
@Thomas, i'll look into it. i did a few quick tests, it worked, but didn't
*really* cover my use case yet. i'm sure i'm missing something though.
in a nutshell, what i'm stumbling over is the fact that i don't want to use
the search in the right rail, but create twiddlers which do the search &
extraction.
does that make sense? :)

But thanks for sharing, i'll dig deeper next week!

@Mat, no worries, and huge thanks for your help so far!

Thomas Elmiger
2017-10-17 20:56:23 UTC
Hi Stefan,

After importing the macro from here
<http://tid.li/tw5/hacks.html#Extract%20Macro> (by dragging over the link
in the *Extract Macro Components* paragraph) you should be able to place
the following in any tiddler to find all highlighted text:

<<extract "OriginalTiddler" start:",," end:",," limit:"no">>

the parameters tell the extract macro to

- look for content in a tiddler titled *OriginalTiddler*
- cut out snippets starting with ,, (the subscript marker)
- cut out snippets up to the ending marked with ,, (the subscript marker
again)
- give you all snippets (instead of only the first)

Hope, this helps.

GrÃŒessli
Thomas

Stefan Spycher
2017-10-25 07:49:14 UTC
Thanks Thomas, i'll give it a try.
for the record, i started playing around with Tobias Beers split plugin
[0], which seems pretty straight forward too. so, i'll try to find out the
differences between those two

thanks a lot!

Stefan

[0] http://tobibeer.github.io/tw5-plugins/#split

Stefan Spycher
2017-10-26 09:30:38 UTC
Thomas, a quick update: your macro works like a charm, and i'm eternally
grateful ! :)
THANK YOU (merci villmol)