[tw] Missing fields in newly created tiddlers
Ton Gerner
2017-05-16 20:25:01 UTC
Hi all,

Today, in one of my TWs I couldn't find recenlty made tiddlers: they didn't
show up under the Recent tab!
Upon inspection a newly created tiddler had only 2 fields: `tags` and
`title` while earlier created tiddlers today showed the normal expected
fields:

created 20170516100611033
creator TonGerner
modified 20170516100733306
modifier TonGerner
tags field list
title Custom list type fields

For sure I have been fiddling around; I did some experimenting with the
Edit widget and got at a certain moment a RSOD, but got rid of the
offending tiddler.

I tried the following:

1) Start the TW in safe mode
2) Opened the TW in different browsers and TiddlyDesktop
3) Imported all tiddlers (4447 in total) in an empty TW
3A) Inspected in TW of 3) the 9 remaining overridden shadow tiddlers and
deleted 6 of them (only $:/DefaultTiddlers, $:/temp/advancedsearch
and$:/temp/search left)

All to no avail.

OS: Linux Mint v17.3
Browser(s): Firefox v53, Chrome v58, Opera v45

At the moment I am out of ideas, so any help is appreciated.

Cheers,

Ton
2017-05-16 21:38:54 UTC
Post by Ton Gerner
For sure I have been fiddling around; I did some experimenting with the
Edit widget and got at a certain moment a RSOD, but got rid of the
offending tiddler.
RSOD may have been a problem, that the .addTiddler() function didn't finish
its work. ... Which can result in a tiddler without "created" and/or
"modified" fields. Which in turn are responsible for tiddlers to show up in
the "recent" tab.

-m
2017-05-17 07:42:54 UTC
Post by Ton Gerner
At the moment I am out of ideas, so any help is appreciated.
What is it you want to achieve? -
Get the original dates back? (no idea)
Get any (new) dates added? (should be doable, but I'm guessing you know
this)
Understand what caused it?
Etc...

Ton Gerner
2017-05-17 08:54:14 UTC
Hi Mat,

The only thing I want is getting 'normal' behavior back when creating a new
tiddler. Which means the following fields (as shown via the Info button):

created 20170517083653453
creator TonGerner
modified 20170517083656797
modifier TonGerner
tags
title New Tiddler

But what I get is only the following:

tags
title New Tiddler

So created, creator, modified and modifier fields are missing.
I thought Safe mode or importing all tiddlers in an empty TW would solve
the issue.
I suspect there is a "weird" tiddler which I can't find.
"Selective" importing might be the way to go but there are more than 4000
tiddlerc ;-)

So, if someone has a better idea ...

Cheers,

Ton
Danielo Rodríguez
2017-05-17 10:05:29 UTC
How are you creating your new tiddlers?
If you are using some custom way, maybe such custom way is not calling the
wiki.addTiddler method properly
Ton Gerner
2017-05-17 10:11:45 UTC
Hi Danielo,

Post by Danielo Rodríguez
If you are using some custom way, maybe such custom way is not calling the
wiki.addTiddler method properly
Just the standard way: the new tiddler button (+).
To exclude any customizations, I started in safe mode and deleted remaining
overridden shadow tiddlers (except $:/DefaultTiddlers,

2017-05-17 12:16:50 UTC
Could you batch tag'n-drag all your non-system tiddlers with "FooBar" ainto
a fresh empty TW?

I think I recall that someone made a tool for batch tagging.

Thomas Elmiger
2017-05-19 16:59:31 UTC
Hi Ton

Are you on TW 5.1.14? We have a new feature here:

“Added new page control button to temporarily suspend timestamps”
http://tiddlywiki.com/#Release%205.1.14

It seems to me, that when I press that new button in the Tools tab (stopwatch icon) on tiddlywiki.com I get the behavior you describe.

To press it (again?) might solve your problem

Good luck,
Thomas
Ton Gerner
2017-05-19 18:26:24 UTC
Hi Thomas,

Thank you. Your guess was spot on!
I remember I read about the new functionality, but can't remember I touched
that button (for sure I must have done that).
Luckily my TW was in Dropbox so there were backups and it was no problem to
get the 'normal' situation back.

After that I stripped down the TW I thought it was corrupt; just curious
why it happened.
I deleted plugins, normal tiddlers, overridden shadow tiddlers, added
system tiddlers, state tiddlers, ...) but the behavior stayed the same.
Only after I deleted configuration tiddlers I got the 'normal' behavior
back but I didn't notice $:/config/TimestampDisable as 'suspicious' while
that is the culprit.

Anyhow it is a 'dangerous' button since there is no feedback about the
state. In my toolbar I color such toggle buttons when the state changes
from normal to activated (see e.g. http://tongerner.tiddlyspot.com/).

The good news is that all the RSODs I got with this TW (I think it is my
oldest TW, started in the alpha phase of TW around september 2013) never
could corrupt the TW in the real sense.

Thanks again, I will not forget this anymore!

Cheers,

Ton
Thomas Elmiger
2017-05-19 18:39:09 UTC
The icon has two different states
http://tiddlywiki.com/#%24%3A%2Fcore%2Fui%2FButtons%2Ftimestamp

(tap to see the difderence)

If the difference is not visible enough it’s my fault :–/

All the best!
Thomas
Ton Gerner