[tw] Testers needed for TiddlyServer
Add Reply
Arlen Beiler
2017-10-10 12:06:27 UTC
Good Morning everyone,
I just released an update to TiddlyServer. This release brings support for
nexe. So now I need people to test it. If you are interested, go to
https://github.com/Arlen22/TiddlyServer/releases/tag/2.0.7 and download one
of the nexe builds.

For now, I only have windows and mac builds in 64 bit. The
settings.json file still belongs in the root folder, but the executable is
in the dist folder. Let me know how it works.

Thanks,
Arlen
2017-10-10 14:05:42 UTC
Could you explain what "nexe" is about?

Thanks,
Mark
Arlen Beiler
2017-10-10 19:39:09 UTC
I beg your pardon. If you download the nexe zip for your platform, and
unzip it, then you should be able to go into the dist folder and run the
binary contained in it. It's compiled into one executable instead of being
a bunch of loose javascript files.

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 10:05 AM, 'Mark S.' via TiddlyWiki <
Post by 'Mark S.' via TiddlyWiki
Could you explain what "nexe" is about?
Thanks,
Mark
msgid/tiddlywiki/73cb0873-f4c1-4422-a418-a0c6d943d569%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/73cb0873-f4c1-4422-a418-a0c6d943d569%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
Jim
2017-10-10 21:16:14 UTC
This is what I get

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-zbyAXzUagXY/Wd04WwTd5JI/AAAAAAAAorE/vyMX2s19W0wCy5v87lJt5XJT1Lp0XrZIACLcBGAs/s1600/00348.png>
:
2017-10-10 21:32:14 UTC
Post by Arlen Beiler
Good Morning everyone,
I just released an update to TiddlyServer. This release brings support for
nexe. So now I need people to test it. If you are interested, go to
https://github.com/Arlen22/TiddlyServer/releases/tag/2.0.7 and download
one of the nexe builds.
For now, I only have windows and mac builds in 64 bit. The
settings.json file still belongs in the root folder, but the executable is
in the dist folder. Let me know how it works.
Thanks,
Arlen
I get this:

C:\DL\TiddlyServer\TiddlyServer-2.0.7>node server
C:\DL\TiddlyServer\TiddlyServer-2.0.7\src\server.js:186
return server_types_1.obs_stat(state)(favicon).mergeMap(([err,
stat]) => {
^

SyntaxError: Unexpected token [
at exports.runInThisContext (vm.js:53:16)
at Module._compile (module.js:387:25)
at Object.Module._extensions..js (module.js:422:10)
at Module.load (module.js:357:32)
at Function.Module._load (module.js:314:12)
at Module.require (module.js:367:17)
at require (internal/module.js:16:19)
at Object.<anonymous>
(C:\DL\TiddlyServer\TiddlyServer-2.0.7\server.js:1:63)
at Module._compile (module.js:413:34)
at Object.Module._extensions..js (module.js:422:10)

C:\DL\TiddlyServer\TiddlyServer-2.0.7>pause
Press any key to continue . . .

I downloaded the bundle zip file, extracted it, started with the example
settings.json and cleaned out the comments, added a single alias "books":
"some_path" and ran start.cmd.

Does it matter the version of node installed if it's already installed? Or
will it use the one in the bundle first?

Coda
Arlen Beiler
2017-10-11 02:43:42 UTC
@Jim, you need to put a settings.json file next to the dist folder
containing the tiddlyserver settings.

@codacoder, tiddlyserver-2.0.7-nexe is the download with the executable.
The one you downloaded is tiddlyserver-2.0.7-bundled. I'm sorry for the
confusion, I don't think I explained it correctly.
Post by c***@outlook.com
Post by Arlen Beiler
[...]
msgid/tiddlywiki/86412638-8944-4a7f-8e8b-da2b55a170e4%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/86412638-8944-4a7f-8e8b-da2b55a170e4%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
2017-10-11 03:12:28 UTC
No luck, Arlen...
Post by Arlen Beiler
@codacoder, tiddlyserver-2.0.7-nexe is the download with the executable.
The one you downloaded is tiddlyserver-2.0.7-bundled. I'm sorry for the
confusion, I don't think I explained it correctly.
Okay, I downloaded the nexe zip, extracted it, copied the folders from the
unzipped set over the previous unzipped set, ran start.cmd, same error.

Next, I unzipped the nexe zip again (clean), copied the start.cmd and
settings.json from the old set into the nexe set up and got this:

C:\DL\TiddlyServer\TiddlyServer-2.0.7-nexe>node server
module.js:341
throw err;
^

Error: Cannot find module
'C:\DL\TiddlyServer\TiddlyServer-2.0.7-nexe\server'
at Function.Module._resolveFilename (module.js:339:15)
at Function.Module._load (module.js:290:25)
at Function.Module.runMain (module.js:447:10)
at startup (node.js:139:18)
at node.js:999:3

C:\DL\TiddlyServer\TiddlyServer-2.0.7-nexe>pause
Press any key to continue . . .

So, here's where I'm at:

I have Windows 7 with Node version 5.5.0 already installed.

1 - is having node already installed a problem for TS?

2 - Which download and which set of instructions should I follow?

Coda
Arlen Beiler
2017-10-11 03:18:10 UTC
I'm sorry for the confusion.

- Download TiddlyServer-2.0.7-nexe-win-64.zip from https://github.com/
Arlen22/TiddlyServer/releases/tag/2.0.7
<https://github.com/Arlen22/TiddlyServer/releases/tag/2.0.7>
- Unzip to your desired location.
- Copy your settings.json inside the folder you just unzipped, next to
the dist, assets, and tiddlywiki folders.
- Open the dist folder, and double-click on server.exe

Don't worry about start.bat, it isn't needed in this case.

If something is not clear, please ask. I am sorry that I am not so clear
the first time around.

Thanks, Arlen
Post by c***@outlook.com
No luck, Arlen...
Post by Arlen Beiler
[...]
gid/tiddlywiki/9e274859-4442-4575-9168-f0a542a2ef84%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/9e274859-4442-4575-9168-f0a542a2ef84%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
2017-10-11 03:24:25 UTC
Post by Arlen Beiler
I'm sorry for the confusion.
- Download TiddlyServer-2.0.7-nexe-win-64.zip from
https://github.com/Arlen22/TiddlyServer/releases/tag/2.0.7
- Unzip to your desired location.
- Copy your settings.json inside the folder you just unzipped, next to
the dist, assets, and tiddlywiki folders.
- Open the dist folder, and double-click on server.exe
Bingo.
Post by Arlen Beiler
Don't worry about start.bat, it isn't needed in this case.
If something is not clear, please ask. I am sorry that I am not so clear
the first time around.
I'll play with it more tomorrow.

THANKS!
Coda
Jim
2017-10-11 16:55:43 UTC
Ah thanks - this works for me after getting the settings file in the right
place. My suggestions would be to just include a working settings file
pointed at the User's home folder. If the user then wants advanced
settings, they can go read the docs. Thanks.
Post by Arlen Beiler
I'm sorry for the confusion.
- Download TiddlyServer-2.0.7-nexe-win-64.zip from
https://github.com/Arlen22/TiddlyServer/releases/tag/2.0.7
- Unzip to your desired location.
- Copy your settings.json inside the folder you just unzipped, next to
the dist, assets, and tiddlywiki folders.
- Open the dist folder, and double-click on server.exe
Don't worry about start.bat, it isn't needed in this case.
If something is not clear, please ask. I am sorry that I am not so clear
the first time around.
Thanks, Arlen
Post by c***@outlook.com
No luck, Arlen...
Jim
2017-10-11 15:03:38 UTC
Hi Arlen,

I've tried it this morning and all seemed to go well for a while then
errors started to occur when saves are made.

1 - An alert pops up with XMLHttpRequest error code: 412

2 - Then a Red Internal JS Error TypeError: xhr is undefined

3 - The console says XML Parsing Error: no root element found Location:
http://127.0.0.1:8080/books/testwiki.html Line Number 1, Column 1:

4 - Followed by TypeError: xhr is undefined

Nothing is mentioned in the server console, just the regular PUT statement.

If I close the testwiki and reopen, it starts working again (until it
eventually fails again).

Coda
Arlen Beiler
2017-10-11 15:32:10 UTC
The 412 is thrown if the server thinks the client is working from a stale
copy. Is it somehow possible that another application updated the html file
on disk? Especially if you can do several saves and then start getting the
error. The other errors are a little puzzling, but I think might involve an
unrelated bug in TiddlyWiki (
https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/issues/2989).
Post by Arlen Beiler
Good Morning everyone,
I just released an update to TiddlyServer. This release brings support
for nexe. So now I need people to test it. If you are interested, go to
https://github.com/Arlen22/TiddlyServer/releases/tag/2.0.7 and download
one of the nexe builds.
For now, I only have windows and mac builds in 64 bit. The
settings.json file still belongs in the root folder, but the executable is
in the dist folder. Let me know how it works.
Thanks,
Arlen
msgid/tiddlywiki/ea2dd98e-e1f0-4f35-8c3e-199094e48aa8%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/ea2dd98e-e1f0-4f35-8c3e-199094e48aa8%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
2017-10-11 16:00:31 UTC
Post by Arlen Beiler
The 412 is thrown if the server thinks the client is working from a stale
copy. Is it somehow possible that another application updated the html file
on disk?
No, single copy open in the browser. Note that they occur from autosaves
(closing an edited tiddler, for example) not manual saves by clicking the
save icon.
Post by Arlen Beiler
Especially if you can do several saves and then start getting the error.
Right. And once I have the errors appear, there is no way back except to
close and reopen the TW.
Post by Arlen Beiler
The other errors are a little puzzling, but I think might involve an
unrelated bug in TiddlyWiki (
https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/issues/2989).
Note that error #1 appears first while error #3 appears in the console.
When the dialog in #1 is cleared, #2 appears in the UI and #4 appears in
the console. IOW, it's a sequence that always repeats. And once it has
occurred, clicking the TW save icon will repeat the whole thing again.
Arlen Beiler
2017-10-11 18:07:07 UTC
So even after you start getting the error it will still manually save
without errors? And when you say save, do you mean it saves to the server?
Or does the manual download saver kick in?

Or do you mean that the error only starts occurring when using autosave?

What version is your TiddlyWiki file? This can be found on the control
panel.

Is anyone else getting this error?

Also, could you paste in the entire logs from the TiddlyServer terminal
window?

Thanks, Arlen
Post by Arlen Beiler
Good Morning everyone,
I just released an update to TiddlyServer. This release brings support
for nexe. So now I need people to test it. If you are interested, go to
https://github.com/Arlen22/TiddlyServer/releases/tag/2.0.7 and
download one of the nexe builds.
For now, I only have windows and mac builds in 64 bit. The
settings.json file still belongs in the root folder, but the executable is
in the dist folder. Let me know how it works.
Thanks,
Arlen
gid/tiddlywiki/ea2dd98e-e1f0-4f35-8c3e-199094e48aa8%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/ea2dd98e-e1f0-4f35-8c3e-199094e48aa8%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
msgid/tiddlywiki/b351e4b4-f946-4e37-830d-45360bd893ae%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/b351e4b4-f946-4e37-830d-45360bd893ae%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
2017-10-11 18:19:01 UTC
Post by Arlen Beiler
So even after you start getting the error it will still manually save
without errors?
No. Once I've seen the error, the only cure is to close the TW and reopen
it.
Post by Arlen Beiler
And when you say save, do you mean it saves to the server?
Yes, regular saving.
Post by Arlen Beiler
Or does the manual download saver kick in?
No. If I try to save AFTER seeing the error, I get the error again. It
DOES NOT save.
Post by Arlen Beiler
Or do you mean that the error only starts occurring when using autosave?
That's hard to say. I rarely save manually so I have only seen the error
appear under regular autosave conditions.
Post by Arlen Beiler
What version is your TiddlyWiki file?
5.1.14
Post by Arlen Beiler
Also, could you paste in the entire logs from the TiddlyServer terminal
window?
It's gone now -- I had to return to my old system (using tiddlyfox). I can
assure you, the server window only contained regular PUT statements which
suggests to me, the server "thinks" it has saved the wiki (but clearly
hasn't since it responded with a 412). Which preconditions are you
setting/checking? If-Unmodified-Since? Anything else?

I may be able to retry TS properly later.

Coda
Anders Jonsson
2017-10-11 19:21:54 UTC
I will chime in to say that I’ve also had plenty of this 412/RSOD problem (and I’m relying on equal measures of manual saves and autosaves; win10, FF56, TW5.1.14)...

1. White box stating ”Error while saving: XMLHttpRequest error code: 412”
2. The big, red ”embarrasment” box stating ”TypeError: xhr is undefined”
(3. In the TiddlyServer window the 412 code is given for the last PUT)
4. Generally no saving possible afterwards without reloading the tiddlywiki (thereby losing any changes since last successful save), but sometimes I’ve found that the problem ”goes away” by itself after me waiting a while, meaning that I can once again start saving normally without having to reload...

Regards
//Anders
2017-10-11 19:32:38 UTC
Post by Anders Jonsson
I will chime in to say that I’ve also had plenty of this 412/RSOD problem
(and I’m relying on equal measures of manual saves and autosaves; win10,
FF56, TW5.1.14)...
1. White box stating ”Error while saving: XMLHttpRequest error code: 412”
2. The big, red ”embarrasment” box stating ”TypeError: xhr is undefined”
(3. In the TiddlyServer window the 412 code is given for the last PUT)
4. Generally no saving possible afterwards without reloading the
tiddlywiki (thereby losing any changes since last successful save), but
sometimes I’ve found that the problem ”goes away” by itself after me
waiting a while, meaning that I can once again start saving normally
without having to reload...
Apart from the message posted to the server window, that's identical to my
system. One thing I did wonder... my wikis are on an external drive.
Yours?
Anders Jonsson
2017-10-11 19:59:26 UTC
I keep my TWs on an internal drive.

But that reminds me that I have them stored in my Dropbox folder, and wondering if the Dropbox-syncing might affect things? (Guessing blindly, me knowing next to nothing about the ”under the hood network stuff”...)

//Anders
2017-10-11 20:09:46 UTC
You can discount the dropbox theory, not in play here.

I'm intrigued by your point #4 though. How long do you typically wait for
the problem to magically "go away"?
Jim
2017-10-11 20:14:29 UTC
Yes, I believe this an issue I had when trying tiddly server initially.
Google drive is worse for creating this issue than Dropbox. If you wait
until Dropbox says it is done syncing, you can save again with no errors.
The bigger your wiki, the longer it takes Dropbox to upload it.

On a side note, I quit using Google drive sync altogether because it
appeared to permanently change file permissions to read-only and I had to
go in and manually reset it in order to save.
Arlen Beiler
2017-10-11 21:08:09 UTC
The reason I asked about the terminal output is because the line that
specifies the put request also specifies the response that the server
returned, which in this case should be 412.

The server does not think it's saved if it returns a 412. It is telling the
client that it could not save because the file was newer than what the
client had specified.

Under the hood, it uses the modified time of the file to check whether the
file was changed since the client loaded it. Every time the client sends a
new version to the server the server sends the new timestamp back to the
client which the client then sends on the next save. If nothing else
changed the file in the meantime, the timestamp will still be identical.

One more question, what version of node are you both using, or are you
using the nexe version that I posted at the top of this thread?
2017-10-11 21:14:13 UTC
Post by Arlen Beiler
The reason I asked about the terminal output is because the line that
specifies the put request also specifies the response that the server
returned, which in this case should be 412.
I'll pay closer attention when I try it again.
Post by Arlen Beiler
One more question, what version of node are you both using, or are you
using the nexe version that I posted at the top of this thread?
I asked you that a couple of times. I have Node 5.5.0 installed but I
would guess yours is being used (I guess it's "in" the nexe build, right?)
2017-10-11 21:32:06 UTC
Post by Arlen Beiler
The reason I asked about the terminal output is because the line that
specifies the put request also specifies the response that the server
returned, which in this case should be 412.
Yep, here it is:

Settings file: C:\Wikis\TiddlyServer-2.0.7-nexe\settings.json
Open your browser and type in one of the following:
127.0.0.1:8080
[2017-10-11T16:22:35.406-0500] PUT 127.0.0.1 200 127.0.0.1
/books/testwiki
.html 854.115 ms - -
[2017-10-11T16:22:59.737-0500] PUT 127.0.0.1 200 127.0.0.1
/books/testwiki
.html 146.147 ms - -
[2017-10-11T16:23:02.356-0500] PUT 127.0.0.1 200 127.0.0.1
/books/testwiki
.html 143.149 ms - -
[2017-10-11T16:23:03.996-0500] PUT 127.0.0.1 200 127.0.0.1
/books/testwiki
.html 144.009 ms - -
[2017-10-11T16:23:05.605-0500] PUT 127.0.0.1 200 127.0.0.1
/books/testwiki
.html 146.161 ms - -
[2017-10-11T16:23:06.878-0500] PUT 127.0.0.1 200 127.0.0.1
/books/testwiki
.html 155.558 ms - -
[2017-10-11T16:23:08.573-0500] PUT 127.0.0.1 200 127.0.0.1
/books/testwiki
.html 168.605 ms - -
[2017-10-11T16:23:53.250-0500] PUT 127.0.0.1 200 127.0.0.1
/books/testwiki
.html 144.057 ms - -
[2017-10-11T16:24:00.915-0500] PUT 127.0.0.1 200 127.0.0.1
/books/testwiki
.html 144.234 ms - -
[2017-10-11T16:24:40.083-0500] PUT 127.0.0.1 200 127.0.0.1
/books/testwiki
.html 143.304 ms - -
[2017-10-11T16:25:38.675-0500] PUT 127.0.0.1 412 127.0.0.1
/books/testwiki
.html 1.528 ms - -
[2017-10-11T16:26:05.757-0500] PUT 127.0.0.1 412 127.0.0.1
/books/testwiki
.html 0.654 ms - -

I also got this on the very first attempt. I restarted and didn't see it
again:

[2017-10-11T16:18:20.981-0500] OPTIONS 127.0.0.1 200 127.0.0.1
/books/testwiki
.html 1.254 ms - -
[2017-10-11T16:18:33.329-0500] PUT 127.0.0.1 200 127.0.0.1
/books/testwiki
.html 153.159 ms - -
TypeError: Cannot read property 'length' of undefined
at Function.morgan.token [as local-addr]
(C:\Wikis\TiddlyServer-2.0.7-nexe\d
ist\server.exe:1598:37)
at eval (eval at compile
(C:\Wikis\TiddlyServer-2.0.7-nexe\dist\server.exe:3
181:10), <anonymous>:7:26)
at developmentFormatLine
(C:\Wikis\TiddlyServer-2.0.7-nexe\dist\server.exe:1
632:9)
at Array.logRequest
(C:\Wikis\TiddlyServer-2.0.7-nexe\dist\server.exe:2912:1
8)
at listener (C:\Wikis\TiddlyServer-2.0.7-nexe\dist\server.exe:2688:17)
at onFinish (C:\Wikis\TiddlyServer-2.0.7-nexe\dist\server.exe:2619:7)
at callback (C:\Wikis\TiddlyServer-2.0.7-nexe\dist\server.exe:2475:12)
at Socket.onevent
(C:\Wikis\TiddlyServer-2.0.7-nexe\dist\server.exe:2513:7)
at emitOne (events.js:101:20)
at Socket.emit (events.js:188:7)
at emitErrorNT (net.js:1277:8)
at _combinedTickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:80:11)
at process._tickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:104:9)
caught process uncaughtException
closing server
Arlen Beiler
2017-10-12 03:03:26 UTC
Thank you all for your input. I will check into these things and hopefully
figure something out. I don't know what is causing the 412 error, but it is
considered a safeguard to make sure a stale copy does not get saved to the
server.

Yes, the nexe zip contains its own version of node, I should have directed
my question more specifically to Anders. If you use the nexe zip, it should
not matter what version of node you have installed.

I cannot see a reason that a 412 would suddenly start happening unless
perhaps if two saves happened too close to each other, but the normal
autosave mechanism doesn't seem to work like that. But I'll check into it.
I have a couple ideas.

If it was happening to me the first thing would be to pause Dropbox. But I
use Dropbox all the time for this stuff. And I never run into trouble with
it.

Thanks,
Arlen
2017-10-12 03:17:23 UTC
If you use the nexe zip, it should not matter what version of node you
have installed.
Good.
I cannot see a reason that a 412 would suddenly start happening unless
perhaps if two saves happened too close to each other, but the normal
autosave mechanism doesn't seem to work like that.
Agreed. I did try again, and on one of the tests, the second manual save
brought the error up. The file had only been open a matter of seconds.
All other instances took much longer and, as I said before, happens during
autosave.
But I'll check into it. I have a couple ideas.
If it was happening to me the first thing would be to pause Dropbox. But I
use Dropbox all the time for this stuff. And I never run into trouble with
it.
Dropbox is not in my setup, but Ander's stores his files in his dropbox
folder.
Arlen Beiler
2017-10-19 11:42:05 UTC
@coda and @jim, have you used the bundled version of TiddlyServer before
and did it also have this problem for you?

Thanks
Arlen
Post by c***@outlook.com
[...]
msgid/tiddlywiki/b3c0b545-ef0b-4748-80aa-a930f10d7509%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/b3c0b545-ef0b-4748-80aa-a930f10d7509%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
coda coder
2017-10-19 11:49:12 UTC
Post by Arlen Beiler
@coda and @jim, have you used the bundled version of TiddlyServer before
and did it also have this problem for you?
I have never used TS before - this was my first time.

Any progress, Arlen?
Arlen Beiler
2017-10-19 12:45:48 UTC
The best that I can figure is that it is some kind of problem on the file
system. But I don't know which of two problems it is. Either it is because
of the inode, or because of the modified time.

I made a new release which will give more info about the 412 error in the
node console when it happens. You can download it from here:
https://github.com/Arlen22/TiddlyServer/releases/tag/2.0.8

Use the TiddlyServer-2.0.8-nexe zips. As always, when upgrading, unzip the
folder and copy the settings.json file into it rather than copying the
files into your old folder.

Arlen
Post by coda coder
Post by Arlen Beiler
@coda and @jim, have you used the bundled version of TiddlyServer before
and did it also have this problem for you?
I have never used TS before - this was my first time.
Any progress, Arlen?
msgid/tiddlywiki/e9670a67-c6c5-49f8-8cdd-4301047ca283%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/e9670a67-c6c5-49f8-8cdd-4301047ca283%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>