[tw] [TW5] How Does One Add a Button to the Text Editor in the editTemplate?
Add Reply
Paul Boughner
2017-04-07 17:10:47 UTC
Whats the process for adding a button to apply a highlight? I know my way
around TW5 pretty well, so I can understand a quick list of:

1. add a tiddler and tag it with...
2. write a macro to do this...
3. edit this toolbar to include...

I am currently using the stamp button to insert "@@ hl.ToDo" at the head,
and "@@" to close it.

@@ hl.ToDo -text- @@

I use this to tag things in journals and then use a list to search for that
particular highlight. Which automagically gives me lists of ToDo, research,
add to quiz, etc.

I would like to add a highlight button like the stamp button to choose the
highlight.

Just cloning the stamp button would be great as long as it doesn't get
overwritten in the next update.

Thanks
'Stephen Kimmel' via TiddlyWiki
2017-04-07 18:23:23 UTC
Without getting into the specifics, I created several buttons to be added
to the editor toolbar including one that does the highlighting. You'll find
them at http://skplugins.tiddlyspot.com/

I make no claims that these are elegantly done but they do work and that
will give you a starting point.
Pit.W.
2017-04-07 18:59:52 UTC
Not that I know how these buttons work, but use them im many TW files
-standalone and node.js-

They work fine, I am happy... but one thing to be aware of: it seems
that something in these many buttons disables the use of Alt-Ctrl-Q.
This is a bit painful, since this is, on a German keyboard, the "@". But
maybe am mistaken and it is caused by something else

But: #SK: great work, many fantasic functionalities, dramatic impovement
of productivity, great contribution.

THANK YOU!

Pit
2017-04-07 19:24:50 UTC
Post by Pit.W.
Not that I know how these buttons work, but use them im many TW files
-standalone and node.js-
They work fine, I am happy... but one thing to be aware of: it seems that
something in these many buttons disables the use of Alt-Ctrl-Q. This is a
mistaken and it is caused by something else
But: #SK: great work, many fantasic functionalities, dramatic impovement
of productivity, great contribution.
THANK YOU!
Pit
I use a number of Ctrl-Alt-whatever key combinations though I don't recall
using Ctrl-Alt-Q. If you use the advanced search on the system tiddlers
looking for ctrl-alt-q, it should pop up immediately if it is one of mine.
If it doesn't, then it is probably something else.

And thanks for the compliment.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/d3caf227-6927-438e-a650-49e49fd75004%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/d3caf227-6927-438e-a650-49e49fd75004%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
Paul Boughner
2017-04-08 13:18:47 UTC
Yes! That's exactly what I was looking for. I just couldn't track back the
required tiddlers for some reason.

Thanks, Stephen.

Side note: In case anyone is wondering why I don't just use a tag or create
a task list system, it's because I don't like to do things twice. So
highlighting text as I read/write it and having a list pull those text
blurbs is as simple as I can make it. I don't need to create a system to
generate and track a simple ToDo or research list. Although, I do have
those things for more complex tracking. I just use these simple lists as a
filter and jumping off point. If I work the lists and find something is
more complex, I escalate it.
wang dadong
2017-05-23 16:52:04 UTC
Hi, Stephen, thanks for your plugins, I found the Color plugin very useful,
except that I prefer the highlight button to set the background color
instead of foreground color, just like Evernote did.

Besides, I drag and drop all tiddlers listed in
http://skplugins.tiddlyspot.com/#Color%20List , it's boring but I don't
know other ways to install this plugin, I presume that there's a better and
neat way?
Matthew Petty
2017-10-05 08:34:43 UTC
Hi Stephen,
I just went through the trouble of figuring this out myself, when I could
have just researched more!
Now, is it possible to add a keyboard shortcut to the new button? That
would be very nice, especially when I'm just editing old notes and marking
stuff as links.
Best regards,
Matthew Petty