[tw5] How to make a tiddler that asks the user for specific input ?
Melissa Rodriguez
2018-08-15 14:03:36 UTC
Hi all!

I discovered TW some weeks ago and I find it's a very powerful tool!
I'm impressed by the great things that can be done with it, so I decided to
dig deeper and give it a go myself.
I thought this would not be that difficult, but after several weeks trying
out, all my tests still fail...

I would like to:

- Create a new button in TW
- When clicked, this button opens a new TiddlyTemplate
- This TiddlyTemplate looks like a form.
- In the form, the user (me :)) is asked for some input, eg:
- Project title
- Project summary
- Project abstract
- Project pictures (insert pictures)
- Ideally, the input is predefined: eg. the Project abstract can only
be 300 words long; the Project summary can only be 1000 words long
- There is a save option.
- After saving, a new Tiddly is created which shows the input entered by
the user.

I have tried to adapt the awesome work done by Alberto Molina with Tiddly
Scholars to my needs - *http://tw5.scholars.tiddlyspot.com/ - * but I have
not managed to have a decent output.
Also, I've been playing around with the New Template Tiddler Button found
here -
*http://tw5custom.tiddlyspot.com/#New%20template-tiddler%20button:%5B%5BCustomization%20of%20TW5%5D%5D%20%5B%5BNew%20template-tiddler%20button%5D%5D*
- but no success either...

Any help on this is really really very much appreciated!
:)
Ste Wilson
2018-08-15 17:30:31 UTC
Hello
You might find
inmysocks.tiddlyspot.com/#New%20Tiddler%20Form
Usefull and a recent thread here

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/tiddlywiki/slwB8u1PQrA

Which might help.

Stephen
Melissa Rodriguez
2018-08-15 17:52:16 UTC
Hi Melissa,

Welcome to the club!

Some time ago I did create a step by step video-tutorial [1] about a "A
script and todo manager workflow / UI experiment + video howto's", which is
introduces in a different thread. see link [2]

It deals with all types of input elements, for a specific usecase, in a
step by step process!

The videos (17) are from 3min up to 15min long and explain every element
including the code in detail. In sum they are about 2h15 ..

It's not a 100% fit to your project, but I'm sure, that the different ideas
and elements could also be used or modified to fit your needs.

The finished project can be downloaded from here:
https://wikilabs.github.io/editions/script-manager/

IMPORTANT: It's meant to be used together with the videos. ... IMO It won't
work as a basis for your project. You should start with empty.html ... and
just import the stuff, that you need and understand!! ... So it fits your
needs

have fun!
mario

[1]

[2]
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/tiddlywiki/intro$20script$20manager%7Csort:date/tiddlywiki/_VQw8yIKWn8/vxJU13slBQAJ
Melissa Rodriguez
2018-08-16 06:54:16 UTC
Happy to join the club :)
Thanks for having taken the time to make tutorials for the community!!
I will have a look!!
http://youtu.be/0fwd7R4vsDc
2018-08-16 14:31:52 UTC

Your tutorials are excellent.

Though I know you are a "quiet philanthropist" I do think they need some
marketing. Why? Because I don't think many users know they exist. Many
would benefit from them IF they knew they existed.

I was not aware how many you made. They sum up to a substantial, useful,
way into TiddlyWiki.

Are they on Gifford's list? Are they accessible from tw.com?

Josiah, x