[tw] An Introduction and TiddlyWiki Project
t***@sunyit.edu
2017-10-10 13:30:30 UTC
Hi All,

I just wanted to introduce myself. I am currently working on my thesis as a
graduate student at SUNY Poly. I will be working on taking an existing
Calculus OER and importing it into TiddlyWiki. I plan to utilize the KaTeX
javascript library and also look into potential enhancements regarding
graphical interaction, mathematical formula calculation, etc.

Would love to hear from anyone who is interested in or has experience with
things in this area.

Thanks!
2017-10-10 22:33:54 UTC
Welcome, to the TiddlyWiki community,

Your Name?

I think we have had others from SUNY Poly in the past,
eg http://sunypoly-schedule-explorer.tiddlyspot.com/

What is "Calculus OER ", even just decompress the acronym OER, or tell us
more about the nature of the data?

Some leads for you on graphical interaction,

- Use a CSS Only solution http://familytree.tiddlyspot.com/ or TidGraph
- http://tiddlymap.org/
- http://graphs.tiddlyspot.com/

I am not a mathematician, although I dabble, but I have some database and
knowledge management skills, Tell us more and others will make connections
to support you.

RichardWilliamSmith
2017-10-11 02:25:36 UTC
Hi Tony and Tib...

OERs are "Open Educational Resources" - something I've been pretty
interested in myself. I made this some time ago, which is a 'port' of an
excellent calculus textbook (by Matt Boelkins) to TW:
https://didaxy.neocities.org/tiddlywiki/Active_Calculus_v0.1.html (takes a
while to load)

The process I underwent was quite laborious - what we really need is a
pipeline for ingesting tex (the defacto standard for academic publishing)
and generating wikitext. My best guess for that was to write a wikitext
plugin for Pandoc.

Something else I keep meaning to do more with is
this: https://didaxy.neocities.org/tiddlywiki/KhanAcademy5114.html

It's a couple of years old now, but it's a TW index to lots of Khan Academy
videos.

Good luck with your project, anyway - do you have a text already picked out
or are you planning to mix elements from mulitiple sources?

Regards,
Richard
2017-10-11 14:48:30 UTC
Thanks for the responses. My name is Lindsey.

Right now I am at a cross roads of whether I want to import an entire
textbook, make adjustments to the look and feel and coding to make it nice
or just take a small piece of content, like one chapter and focus on a few
innovations such as interactive graphs, annotation/note space for working
out formulas, maybe some way to have it calculate the formula (although
this may not be possible yet). Really focus on the potential for
interactivity and then let professors reuse it for an entire textbook if
they desire.

Richard - Your project is awesome. That is actually one of the text's that
I have under consideration for my content.

Tony - Thanks for the leads on the graphical stuff, I'll check that out!

Ste Wilson
2017-10-11 22:06:14 UTC
I'm slowly building a resource for 16-18 yr old engineers.

stephenteacher.tiddlyspot.com

Particularly pleased with the equations/ variables/ constants bit developed with loads of help from the peeps here. Tinkering with setting up maths question generation and marking but been too busy to make any headway in that recently.

stephenteachertests.tiddlyspot.com

Feel free to steal if any of it helps.

Stephen
Abraham Samma
2017-10-11 16:22:31 UTC
Wow, that Khan Academy index is something else. Will definitely bookmark
that.

On Wednesday, October 11, 2017 at 5:25:36 AM UTC+3, RichardWilliamSmith