[tw] TiddlyWiki not working properly on latest version of firefox
Add Reply
Adrian Holbrook
2017-10-02 15:32:14 UTC
Just updated to Firefox 55.0.3 and the right hand menu does not work any
more. I can still use the scroll bar but i get a ghosted menu that scrolls
and another copy behind it that stays in the same place. Clicking on any of
the menu items no longer works. Can anyone help?
Lost Admin
2017-10-02 15:40:18 UTC
I don't know if it is related, but after I upgraded Firefox it was having
all sorts of problems. Most obvious, if I opened a new blank tab and then
entered a URL, it would never load the page. But clicking on a link and
choosing open in new tab would work find (and I could then type an
unrelated url and it loaded fine).

I ended up uninstalling Firefox and wiping the profile from the hard disk
and then re-installing. Suddenly everything worked fine. I'm assuming it
didn't handle some upgrade to the config/profile properly.

I haven't actually tried to use tiddlywiki with the latest Firefox yet, so
it may not be related.
Birthe C
2017-10-02 16:18:38 UTC
I got Firefox 56 yesterday. Nothing works for long due to memory issues and
breakdowns. For a long time every other version has had those problems. I
find myself constantly saving and refreshing to avoid loosing my TW when
Firefox breaks down.
Sometimes I get no warnings at all, but tabs looks like material from one
tab is getting mixed with stuff from another. Then I know that I have to
restart Firefox 3. time today. WHEN it works it works okay, though.

Birthe
2017-10-02 16:24:12 UTC
Ciao Birthe

I think this is inevitable as Firefox goes mad for November and Firefox 57.
This is why some months ago I recommended shifting to Firefox ESR--so you
don't have to go through experimental torture before the failure that's
inevitably coming on saving in FF57.

I got Firefox 56 yesterday. Nothing works for long ...
Adrian Holbrook
2017-10-02 16:08:35 UTC
i have resolved the problem. I was using an old version of tiddlywiki. I
have now upgraded using the upgrade tool, configured saving in TiddlyFox
and everything is running smoothly.
2017-10-02 16:14:05 UTC
Ciao Adrian

Glad you sorted it.

Be aware that at Firefox 57 saving will FAIL (see:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/tiddlywiki/best$20bet%7Csort:relevance/tiddlywiki/4yyMPH-0hXg/SjIOy7aeAgAJ).

There are good alternatives like TiddlyServer that can take over on that in
the future.

Adrian Holbrook
2017-10-02 18:01:11 UTC
If the tiddlyfox plugin does not work how do you save the file? Whenever i
tried without the plug in - and even with the plugin until I enabled it to
save - the file would disappear and not get saved.
2017-10-02 18:26:02 UTC
Hi Adrian

Well, you were talking about a layout issue, not about tiddlyfox (which
WILL be a problem from FF57 onward). I was commenting about your layout
issues which, to me, sound like CSS problems which I could not repeat using
the FF versions I mentioned.

Regarding the tiddlyfox issue, there are many threads below this one
addressing that exact problem. You could, for example, try the default
save mechanism enhanced by *Mark S* here:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/tiddlywiki/lPDUD66GBD8/nyxytP_DEwAJ
2017-10-02 18:34:07 UTC
Ciao Adrian

Auto-saving when TiddlyFox stops working with FF57 won't be possible. The
default "download saver" will still function but its cumbersome unless you
know how to program batch files (codacoder just mentioned Mark's clever way
with that ...).

I'm on ESR FF version 52 till next March. Installing that would give time
for other saving routes to clarify.

Even so, now, TiddlyServer is a very viable alternative too.

2017-10-02 18:23:42 UTC
Ciao codacoder...
Post by c***@outlook.com
I've tested 55, 56, 57 and 58 and all my wikis run fine (ignoring the
fated tiddlyfox plugin).
That post is a little bit confusing in that you are not saying HOW you
save. Folk coming up to 57 dependent on TiddlyFox need to be clearer about
the alternative ways that folk save.

My 2 cents.

2017-10-02 19:00:48 UTC
Forgive me but my reply was to Adrian's original post, nothing else.
Reading anything else into it is a problem for the reader ;)

My 5 cents (with interest) :)
Post by @TiddlyTweeter
Ciao codacoder...