[tw] link in a documentation macro doesn't show up as a reference
Add Reply
Alex Hough
2017-10-11 07:45:17 UTC
TiddlyWikers,

When you create a link in a documentation macro, that link doesn't show up
as a reference.

I've started to adapt the documentation macros for my own use, it would be
handy if they created a reference in the linked-to tiddler

Alex
2017-10-11 10:29:04 UTC
Post by Alex Hough
When you create a link in a documentation macro, that link doesn't show up
as a reference.
That's right. The reference mechanism parses the tiddler source (one level
deep) and looks for a "type: link" combination in the AST
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abstract_syntax_tree>, produced by
[[link-syntax]]

Since a macro call isn't a link, it isn't seen. .. That's "kind of" desired
behaviour, since link-references should show up in tiddlers that define the
link and not where they are eg: transcluded. ...

But IMO they main reason is performance. ... If you would search deeper it
would be incredibly slow and recursion problems will come up immediately.
Post by Alex Hough
I've started to adapt the documentation macros for my own use, it would be
handy if they created a reference in the linked-to tiddler
What do you try to achieve?

-m
Alex Hough
2017-10-19 15:11:42 UTC
Hi Mario,

The use case is to annotate text. I adapted the .tip core macro by changing
the image to a sheep. The sheep then becomes a character with her own
perspective on the text.

I've borrowed the idea from Douglas Hofstader and Stafford Beer. Both have
used the technique of including a dialogue at the end of chapters in one of
their books.

(I choose a sheep because of Dolly the sheep, the famous cloned sheep. I
wondered what a clone-centric would look like in the context of TW! I am an
artist by training, this is the kind of thing we are allowed to do?

I started to develop a clone-centric TW, (SheepyWiki?)

I found made a drag-to-clone button. I drag a link or title as link into
the sheep and it clones the tiddler. I am shifting the metaphor from little
fish in a stream sheep in a landscape. Part of me was thinking by making TW
easier to understand, part of me was thinking about creating cartoon type
stories where sheep talk for my children.

The use case emerged when I cloned a tiddler, then wanted to annotate a
trimmed version of the text. I put the trimmed text into the sheep macro
then added double brackets to produce missing links. Then, from the preview
window I create the new tiddler, without changing the title (pretty links
to create a capital). From this tiddler there is no reference connection
back to the tiddler with the macro.

I was thinking of using the newly created tiddlers (from the sheep macro)
as the starting point for a narrative. The tiddler could be tagged in such
a way to hide the title, it could feature the sheep making a comment which
expaned on the title of that tiddler. It sounds longwinded and complex, but
in terms of annotating a text I found it to be a natural and quick process.
A visual language was emerging where different voices annotating the text
could be easily produced.

To make a story, you could create an outline and a metastory then create
annotations by cloning and making links from except of the text.

The whole system falls down when the link from the macro doesn't create a
backlink.

I hope that makes sense. I will try and create a MTC..

Alex
Post by Alex Hough
I've started to adapt the documentation macros for my own use, it would
be handy if they created a reference in the linked-to tiddler
What do you try to achieve?
-m
gid/tiddlywiki/185f6073-ff20-4f97-a4ff-27a7505c9c4b%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/185f6073-ff20-4f97-a4ff-27a7505c9c4b%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
2017-10-19 20:12:56 UTC
Post by Alex Hough
The use case is to annotate text. I adapted the .tip core macro by
changing the image to a sheep. The sheep then becomes a character with her
own perspective on the text.
I like this idea. I'm a "visual type" too :)
Post by Alex Hough
The whole system falls down when the link from the macro doesn't create a
backlink.
I hope that makes sense. I will try and create a MTC..
That would be nice. ... I think I got the idea from your story, but an MTC
would make it easier.

I did provide a small bundle for an other thread
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tiddlywiki/YOj4pgiykBQ/E5621rTYAAAJ> and
some info about the uni-link plugin. ... May be if we get the "aliasing"
thing right, so that it also produces backlinks this may be a possibility.
.. But I'm not really sure !!

have fun!
mario
2017-10-19 22:24:21 UTC
Alex,

Will you publicly show the Sheep Macro in an exhibition?

Josiah, x
Post by Alex Hough
The use case is to annotate text. I adapted the .tip core macro by
changing the image to a sheep. The sheep then becomes a character with her
own perspective on the text.
... I started to develop a clone-centric TW, (SheepyWiki?)
... part of me was thinking about creating cartoon type stories where
sheep talk for my children.
... I put the trimmed text into the sheep macro then added double brackets
to produce missing links.
... The tiddler could be tagged in such a way to hide the title, it could
feature the sheep making a comment which expanded on the title of that
tiddler.