[tw] TiddlyServer as a Mac App
Add Reply
RichardWilliamSmith
2017-09-28 09:37:35 UTC
Hi All,

Further to my recent explorations with Tiddlyserver, I *think* I've managed
to bundle it into an executable for the MacOS that should "just work"
(famous last words).

You can download a zip file from
here: https://github.com/r1chard5mith/TiddlyServer/releases/tag/2.0.6

That should unzip to reveal a single icon, the double clicking of which
might (should) launch a terminal window with Tiddlyserver running. It's
preconfigured to run on port 8889 and to serve to 0.0.0.0 (the terminal
window will tell you the full address including your local ip address)

There are instructions on how you can change the settings and a link to a
bit more info about how I made it.

I'd be really grateful if you could let me know if it works, if you're able
to test it. It doesn't install anything and the download is only ~18 Mb,
but please treat it as a 'beta' and don't trust anything important to it
initially.

Hopefully Arlen doesn't mind me releasing it this way? Maybe it is worth
trying a similar method for Windows? I'm not able to try myself, I'm
afraid. Whatever you would prefer, just let me know.

Regards,
Richard
RichardWilliamSmith
2017-09-28 10:13:39 UTC
Profound apologies if anyone tried this while it was broken. For it was
broken. It's fixed now. For some value of fixed.

Arlen Beiler
2017-09-28 19:08:20 UTC
Windows has no equivalent feature. The closest to it would be the start.bat
file. In a future release I will try to sort out the file structure so it
is easier to understand.

On Sep 28, 2017 6:13 AM, "RichardWilliamSmith" <
***@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

msgid/tiddlywiki/2ea8a2ca-e070-451f-9869-201416cf4464%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/2ea8a2ca-e070-451f-9869-201416cf4464%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>

RichardWilliamSmith
2017-09-28 21:26:08 UTC
Hi Arlen,

But you can still compile your server against nexe to get a single
executable, right?

Regards,
Richard
Arlen Beiler
2017-09-28 21:30:37 UTC
Possibly. I'll have to check into it sometime.

On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 5:26 PM, RichardWilliamSmith <
Post by Arlen Beiler
[...]
msgid/tiddlywiki/e4aa3c5b-af52-402b-9d38-ce0001830d3c%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/e4aa3c5b-af52-402b-9d38-ce0001830d3c%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
2017-09-29 13:24:13 UTC
Richard and Arlen,

I comming days I will revisit tiddlyserver, test it on my mac mini and windows.

Arlen, I can look into improving windows implementation since Ive been a windows geek far too long.

tony
Alex Hough
2017-10-01 15:21:40 UTC
Dear Richard,

I tried it, there was an error.. see below

----

Last login: Sun Oct 1 16:17:08 on ttys001

users-mbp-2:~ alexhough$ cd
/Users/alexhough/Downloads/Tiddlyserver.app/Contents/MacOS/..

users-mbp-2:Contents alexhough$ ./nexeserver.bin

Settings file:
/Users/alexhough/Downloads/Tiddlyserver.app/Contents/settings.json

{ Error: listen EADDRINUSE 0.0.0.0:8889

at Object._errnoException (util.js:1026:11)

at _exceptionWithHostPort (util.js:1049:20)

at Server.setupListenHandle [as _listen2] (net.js:1343:14)

at listenInCluster (net.js:1391:12)

at doListen (net.js:1500:7)

at _combinedTickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:141:11)

at process._tickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:180:9)

code: 'EADDRINUSE',

errno: 'EADDRINUSE',

syscall: 'listen',

address: '0.0.0.0',

port: 8889 }

caught process uncaughtException

(node:455) [DEP0013] DeprecationWarning: Calling an asynchronous function
without callback is deprecated.

users-mbp-2:Contents alexhough$

-----

Alex
RichardWilliamSmith
2017-10-01 22:22:02 UTC
Hi Alex,

"EADDRINUSE 0.0.0.0:8889" suggests that port 8889 is already being used.
This is possible but quite unlikely. Are you sure you didn't run it twice?
If you go to 127.0.0.1:8889 in your browser, what do you see?

Regards,
Richard
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/47b0ec8b-b98a-4ae1-89e8-c8ed078e3da1%40googlegroups.com
Amit Ahire
2017-10-03 16:55:02 UTC
First of thanks for the Mac port.

I wanted to try TiddleServer -- But I ran into some problems. (Might be
quick fix but I cant think of anything myself)

1 - When I try to load my tiddlywiki.info file - I received this msg - "The
Tiddlywiki data folder failed to load. To try again, use ?reload=true after
making any necessary corrections." -- Any idea of how to fix this?

2 - Why is the CSS screwed in the server ? Even when I try run the server
from tiddlywiki - CSS is not working. Might be an issue with my setup? Did
the mistake of upgrading to HighSierra as soon as it was available.

[[ This same tiddlywiki.info works perfectly well in the TiddlyDesktop App]]

Thanks. These seems very dump questions but I cant think of anyway to solve
it myself.

On Thursday, September 28, 2017 at 3:07:36 PM UTC+5:30, RichardWilliamSmith
RichardWilliamSmith
2017-10-03 21:00:33 UTC
Hi Amit,

I don't know about #1 - maybe Arlen can help? Are you able to launch your
Tiddlywiki in the normal way? How did you create the tiddlywiki.info file?
Does Tiddlywserver work with a "normal" single-page tiddlywiki?

#2 - I screwed up the css when I packed it as an app - I'll fix it in the
future.

If you're interested in how I made an app out of it, you can read my notes
here: https://www.didaxy.com/introduction-to-tiddlyserver

Regards,
Richard
Arlen Beiler
2017-10-04 00:50:10 UTC
There should be an error message of some sort in the server console window
related to the tiddlywiki.info file not working. Usually it can't find a
path for some reason or the json is invalid.

Can you post your tiddlywiki.info file?
#2 - I screwed up the css when I packed it as an app - I'll fix it in the
future.
Post by Amit Ahire
[...]
msgid/tiddlywiki/cbff722e-9c66-47e8-ac7d-805b54ec1074%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/cbff722e-9c66-47e8-ac7d-805b54ec1074%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
Amit Ahire
2017-10-06 16:43:42 UTC
Thanks Arlen for the reply. Please find the tiddlewiki.info attached here.
(Nothing fancy in it and json is valid)

In the setting.json - I am setting the path of the folder where my wiki
folder exist.

In server console - i get "TypeError: Path must be a string. Received
undefined"
Arlen Beiler
2017-10-06 17:48:55 UTC
Since you said it works perfectly in TiddlyDesktop, what version of
TiddlyDesktop are you using? Also, please try using the TiddlyServer in
this link to make sure it is not something Richard's port. I will try to
implement the Mac app soon, so I can support it myself if there are any
problems. It could be something related to the Current Directory in the mac
app. I will have to look into that. But let me know how this works.
https://github.com/Arlen22/TiddlyServer/releases/download/2.0.6/TiddlyServer-2.0.6-bundled.zip
#2 - I screwed up the css when I packed it as an app - I'll fix it in
the future.
Post by Amit Ahire
[...]
msgid/tiddlywiki/88d7ecfa-fbe9-4d0f-90ad-753520b90f24%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/88d7ecfa-fbe9-4d0f-90ad-753520b90f24%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
Amit Ahire
2017-10-08 08:38:26 UTC
TiddlyServer is working fine. I set up the path in the settings.json and
its renders the wiki properly.

In terms of Macapp by Richard - I am new to OSX, but i tried changing the
location of the app. I had kept Tiddlesever app in the Applications folder
after setting the path in settings.json - Also tried placing the app in a
normal folder but still no luck.
RichardWilliamSmith
2017-10-06 21:20:24 UTC
Hi Amit,

Can you just clarify - are you able to see any wikis using Tiddlyserver? Is
it just one that isn't working? Have you tried a single file wiki?

There isn't really any different code in the package I released - I just
filled in the settings and added the shell script to run it.

Are you able to post the changes that you made to the settings.json file?

Regards,
Richard
RichardWilliamSmith
2017-10-08 02:31:31 UTC
I'm really sorry to anyone who wasted time with this but in it's current
form, it *will not work* unless you already have Tiddlywiki installed
globally (which then invalidates the whole point of this existing). I will
fix it, if I can. Sorry again.

On Saturday, October 7, 2017 at 8:20:24 AM UTC+11, RichardWilliamSmith
Amit Ahire
2017-10-08 08:41:26 UTC
Thanks for the update Richard. Can you delve a bit more into the issue, if
you have a better picture?

On Sunday, October 8, 2017 at 8:01:31 AM UTC+5:30, RichardWilliamSmith
RichardWilliamSmith
2017-10-08 10:45:23 UTC
Hi Amit,

Yes, I'll look into it more when I have time. I want this working, so I'm
pretty motivated but, as always, it's a bit more complicated than I was
hoping.I'm going to have to actually understand what's going on, instead of
making it up as I go along. Le sigh. Thanks for your patience.

Regards,
Richard
Amit Ahire
2017-10-06 16:36:03 UTC
Thanks Richard - I will try to fix the CSS or wait for you to release the
new update. :)

On Wednesday, October 4, 2017 at 2:30:34 AM UTC+5:30, RichardWilliamSmith