[tw] What's the point with titles NOT as links?
2017-05-17 12:02:00 UTC
What are the arguments to NOT have titles set to be links by default -
other than the blue color etc (which is very easily styled to look e.g like
plain text) ?

2017-05-17 13:27:43 UTC
Hi Mat,

By default the just link to themselves, which is pretty much useless.. for
me.
If you want to d&d import open tiddlers to an other browser window, they
are handy.

So it depends.
-m
Danielo Rodríguez
2017-05-17 13:29:51 UTC
You should think what are the advantages. For me, it's just one, and I
don't use it very often. Better not confuse 99% of the users
2017-05-17 13:37:08 UTC
I think it clear that Mat is asking about *NOT* having them as links. I see
no strong argument for that.

There is I guess an argument to be made for not confusing new users - but
really, I'd make them default to being links so that dragging "just works"
and cover it with documentation.
Rob Hoelz
2017-05-17 14:37:05 UTC
You mean the "Enable automatic ~CamelCase linking" setting? If so, I'm the
weird one, it seems!

I don't like the automatic behavior because I write a lot of CamelCase
words and I don't like seeing a bunch of broken links in my tiddlers. But
that's just me =)

-Rob
2017-05-17 19:05:48 UTC
Ouch thread going havoc

NO - I'm NOT talking about camelcase autolinking (which I really dislike)

I'm talking about this:

Ok, so to sum up it seems people don't have any particular arguments *against
*titles as links.

Danielo mentions possible *confusion *for users, presumably that clicking
it doesn't lead anywhere, but I frankly thing few would be confused by
this. (Particularly if the title was not styled as a link). AND, clicking
the title link *does *do something; It scrolls the window so the tiddler is
at screen top if it wasn't there before!

As noted, the other advantage is when copying tiddlers between TWs. This is
perhaps not needed all that often BUT in public TWs, I find a tiddler every
now and then that I want to copy and where the link simplifies.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the input.

Danielo Rodríguez
2017-05-17 19:14:26 UTC
I still think that the average user does not need this . The use case is small , a d people can easily activate it on the control panel. Having a link not styled as a link is even more confusing. Maybe what may make sense is to allow drag and drop of titles by default, without linking
Rob Hoelz
Lost Admin
2017-05-18 19:34:38 UTC
I personally don't care if the titles (as you explained below) are links or
not. I personally have only wanted the tiddler titles to be links once,
when I wanted to copy a tiddler between two wikis and needed the link so I
could drag it.

My personal best guess as to why there is an option is because someone
wanted them to be links and someone didn't. The easiest way to resolve the
disagreement was add an option in tiddlywiki.

Just to keep the confusion going ;-) I want to like CamelCase but I don't.
Of course, I don't have to use it since we have [[ and ]].
2017-05-17 15:48:33 UTC
Ciao Mat

Erm ... do you mean ...

We talking about display, right? I see little advantage in having them as
visible links. Its just excess visual noise for most usage. They still, of
course, function as linkable tiddlers.

PMario points out you lose dragability, but I'd just switch them on for
that if I needed it as a regular action. But there seems little point in
having them on as the default.

OR do you mean this setting ...

I think this setting is much more dependent on use cases than with the
first scenario. Its obviously got direct functionality in some authoring
situations. Even so, I suspect CamelCase is less universally used (i.e.
writers are consciously using it) than one might suppose & I doubt most
users would notice if the default were "off".

2017-05-17 17:48:56 UTC
* Accidental linking to terms that happen to contain camelcase
* Have to use additional formatting to turn off on terms where it's not
wanted
* If you change the target tiddler name, the link disappears (at least with
[[]] you could search for the brackets)
* Even if you change link color with CSS, clicking on word will take you to
a different tiddler. Can you suppress tooltip message with CSS?
* Maybe ... (can someone verify this?) dynamic linking slows TW down as
text is searched and replaced with links

The big issue would be that nobody really seems to leverage CamelCase as
links (you rarely see it being used that way), and that it may confuse
newbies. In the 90s, it seemed like a neat idea. But I've never found that
I use it that much. In practice, tagging and searching are more useful.

Have fun,
Mark