[tw] LOADING
2017-07-17 17:37:38 UTC
Am i right in thinking that if you open 7 tabs in TW, ONLY the one that is
active is loaded? That the other six are not loaded until you click on them
to foreground? And if you click on the PREVIOUS one its already been
unloaded and you have to wait whilst it loads again?

Just asking.
2017-07-17 18:17:51 UTC
Hi,

Depends on your browser setting. Not TW specific.

-m
2017-07-17 18:20:25 UTC
Which browser preserves loads? I'd be interested.
2017-07-18 13:50:16 UTC
Sorry PMario

I suddenly realised my question was very ambiguous.

I didn't mean browser tabs. I meant tabs in TiddlyWiki.

2017-07-18 14:15:15 UTC
Ahh,
OK .. That's the "*retain*" setting from the reveal widget:
http://tiddlywiki.com/#RevealWidget

If you set retain to yes, it will keep the stuff in the browser DOM. ..
It's faster to display, ... BUT ... it also takes part in the TW refresh
cycle.

So, even if the content is hidden, it's updated in the background, if
something changes. .. So having 6 hidden tabs with 100 tiddler links each,
TW has to touch them, for no good reason, just wasting time.

If loading your tab content is slow, imo there is a different problem. ...
We also have to define, what slow is, for you?

have fun!
mario
2017-07-18 14:36:24 UTC
But there's no retain setting for the tabs macro, which is how most people
are going to get tabs. I suppose the default is not to retain? That seems
likely since performance suffers when you have a long list of recent files
opened (I hacked mine to keep the list short).

Thanks,
Mark
Ahh,
2017-07-18 16:41:45 UTC
Ciao PMario & Mark S.

I think mine is an interesting, though possibly not uncommon, case.

It is only ONE tab I need to be "kept fresh". Yes, its dynamic content is a
weight on the TW, but its actually really all that wiki is centrally about,
so its not really an issue.

I'd rather not have to spend 3-6 seconds waiting for it to load every time
I navigate back to it since I am constantly going in and out of it.

I have absolutely no idea how to achieve a "*retain*" for that tab though.

2017-07-18 17:34:55 UTC
I'd rather not have to spend 3-6 seconds waiting for it to load every time
I navigate back to it since I am constantly going in and out of it.
hmmm, If loading of a tab takes 3-6 seconds, that's bad ... There's
probably something wrong.

How many tiddlers do you show in the tab??
How many content tiddlers (not shadow) does the TW have.
Anything big in it? eg images, jpgs > 500k in size and many of them?

How old is the PC?

-m
2017-07-18 18:26:07 UTC
Ciao PMario

Once it loaded its fine and responsive. The PC is 5 years old but very
powerful (I edit film on it).

I think its only because its a very complex tranclusion with lots of
in-tiddler dynamic filters and interactive elements that it can take a
while to load. the specific tab is Thomas Elmiger's ToDoNow which I am
pushing to the edge with over 500 entries (Tiddlers). As I say, once
loaded, its fine.

If I could keep it loaded it would help.

2017-07-18 22:01:04 UTC
You can try the attached and see how it works. After importing Invoke like:

<<tabs tabsList:"[all[shadows+tiddlers]tag[$:/tags/SideBar]]"
state:"$:/oregon" retained:"[[$:/core/ui/SideBar/Recent]]">>

The caveat is that the 'retained' filter must be a subset of the main
filter (in this case it is a single tiddler). I *think* it made a
difference on my system, but really the 'recent' tab wasn't quite big
enough to put a load on the system.

All standard disclaimers applied. Only used once by a little old lady
(MacKenzie or something) on a Tuesday.

Good luck,
Mark

2017-07-25 14:57:48 UTC
Thank you Mark S.

YES it helped.

I actually went a different way in the end (for other reasons) so it never,
now, needs be a tab.

I really should have come back and said "it worked". It did.

So, belated thanks.

Josiah