[tw] TW5, hierarchical tags, Taggly?
Add Reply
Noah Zucker
2017-10-01 16:47:59 UTC
I'm a total beginner who's looking to sort notes from books I read. What
ways are there in TW5 to have any sort of organizational hierarchy for
tags? I've only tried the Taggly plugin and it said it didn't work with
tw5, not sure where to turn or what other options are. I guess best case is
if I could tag a tiddler "Book 1, Washington, Early Life" or "Book 2,
Washington, Mid Life" and based on that have it make a hierarchy from
searches like "Washington" into the tags "Early life" and "Mid life".

Anything similar for TW5? I'd be very appreciative for any tips!
Alex Hough
2017-10-01 17:18:07 UTC
Noah,

Mario's "Table of Content - based on a perent field " :

https://wikilabs.github.io/editions/tocP/

@mario there's a mini typo here "parent" not "prerent"

ALex
Post by Noah Zucker
I'm a total beginner who's looking to sort notes from books I read. What
ways are there in TW5 to have any sort of organizational hierarchy for
tags? I've only tried the Taggly plugin and it said it didn't work with
tw5, not sure where to turn or what other options are. I guess best case is
if I could tag a tiddler "Book 1, Washington, Early Life" or "Book 2,
Washington, Mid Life" and based on that have it make a hierarchy from
searches like "Washington" into the tags "Early life" and "Mid life".
Anything similar for TW5? I'd be very appreciative for any tips!
msgid/tiddlywiki/eaa7bc4d-485a-4a50-bfac-78bcf4386a81%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/eaa7bc4d-485a-4a50-bfac-78bcf4386a81%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
2017-10-01 17:56:03 UTC
Post by Alex Hough
https://wikilabs.github.io/editions/tocP/
The plugin is very similar to the TOC macros from tiddlywiki.com. ... Using
the parent field, you can create your own structure, that's completely
independent from the tags.

Feedback is very welcome!
Post by Alex Hough
@mario there's a mini typo here "parent" not "prerent"
Thx for the info. ... I'll fix it with the next version.

have fun!
mario
-m
Noah Zucker
2017-10-01 22:29:55 UTC
Thanks, a table of contents definitely helps. Do you know of any other
similar plugins? I'm looking for something a little more flexible, limiting
the hierarchy's nodes to tiddlers prevents a category from appearing more
than once in different places. Maybe something that links tags together and
displays those as a toc? not sure... anything that helps organization really
Noah,
RichardWilliamSmith
2017-10-01 23:43:27 UTC
Are you sure you can't just use the built in TOC
macros? http://tiddlywiki.com/#Table-of-Contents%20Macros

As you will have probably noticed, one of the biggest problems we have is
the 'discoverability' of our documentation :-)

Regards,
Richard
Post by Noah Zucker
Thanks, a table of contents definitely helps. Do you know of any other
similar plugins, maybe something based off searching? I'm looking for
something a little more flexible, limiting the hierarchy's nodes to
tiddlers prevents a tiddler from appearing more than once in different
places (unlike how tagging could include it in multiple tag trees). Maybe
something that links tags together and displays those as a toc? not sure...
anything that helps organization would be great to know about
Noah,
Noah Zucker
2017-10-02 00:17:50 UTC
Don't worry, I found that documentation pretty easily. I'm looking for a
TOC or something similar that uses linked tags (like animal->mammal->dog)
so tiddlers don't need to be made for just categorization nodes and so
tiddlers can exist under multiple hierarchical trees. Like how "Pumpkin"
can have the tags "Pie" or "Halloween" and be part of both hierarchical tag
trees.
Post by Noah Zucker
Thanks, a table of contents definitely helps. Do you know of any other
similar plugins, maybe something based off searching? I'm looking for
something a little more flexible, limiting the hierarchy's nodes to
tiddlers prevents a tiddler from appearing more than once in different
places (unlike how tagging could include it in multiple tag trees). Maybe
something that links tags together and displays those as a toc? not sure...
anything that helps organization would be great to know about
Noah,
Noah Zucker
2017-10-02 00:32:43 UTC
Don't worry, it was pretty easy to find the documentation. I'm looking for
a way to make a tag hierarchy of sorts, so a tiddler can be part of
multiple different hierarchies of tags. I've seen a lot of posts about it
from 2007, but nothing recently.
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Ftiddlywiki.com%2F%23Table-of-Contents%2520Macros&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNE5dfVfXP9Zc1WDaQvhNlNQg9k8mg>
Post by Noah Zucker
Thanks, a table of contents definitely helps. Do you know of any other
similar plugins, maybe something based off searching? I'm looking for
something a little more flexible, limiting the hierarchy's nodes to
tiddlers prevents a tiddler from appearing more than once in different
places (unlike how tagging could include it in multiple tag trees). Maybe
something that links tags together and displays those as a toc? not sure...
anything that helps organization would be great to know about
Noah,
Birthe C