[tw] TW5 as Electron app?
Add Reply
Dave
2017-05-15 03:36:30 UTC
I was listening to a podcast, an interview with this fellow:
https://plus.google.com/+MartinWimpress talking about the viability of
Electron apps (in a Linux context) and I looked it up and it makes use of
node.js.

On an older thread someone mentioned that electron apps *don't* have access
to node.js. Maybe he was just talking about his app.

Anyway, is that a worthwhile direction to go if I both wanted to make TW5
"apps" (with node.js) as well as (maybe) other things? I.e. can you do TW5
in Electron?
2017-05-15 10:25:56 UTC
Hi Dave,

TiddlyDesktop is a very similar project, but using a different framework
[1] https://nwjs.io/ . ... The problem with apps like this is, that users
start to demand functionality, that they are used from standard web
browsers... Jeremy clearly stated, that he doesn't want to go that route,
which is very understandable.

Electron is a framework, with a different approach. Electron
<https://electron.atom.io/> [2] emerged out of the Atom <https://atom.io/>
[3] text editor project, which, i think, was launched by github, at a later
date than nwjs.

The cool thing about Electron is its multi platform approach. So you can
build macOs, Linux and Windows apps, with just one build source. ... That
doesn't mean, that everything is easy, but it means its possible, with the
right resources. ...

There are actually several Electron apps, where users, don't even recognize
the difference to native apps. ... For more about this, see the electron
homepage.

BETA - BETA - BETA

There is a cool project, that I'm watching since some time now. ...
Actually Jeremy pointed me in that direction, in connection to the DAT
project [4] <http://datproject.org/>. ...

The beaker browser <https://beakerbrowser.com/> [5]. It is only available
for macOS at the moment. Linux binaries (that I play with) have to be built
from source. Windows builds don't work yet.

This browser exposes a file API, that can be used by TiddlyWiki to save
itself. ... Jeremy implemented a file saver module in the version 5.1.14,
which is very promising. ...

Since the whole stuff is still in beta status, there are a lot of changes
going on, in the whole stack. So with the upcoming beaker version
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/beaker-browser/zDRrk194bbM/2e386YsNAgAJ>
[6] v0.7.0, it seems, we need to modify the TW module a bit. ... more
investigations needed!

If you have a closer look at the DAT project, you'll see it would be a very
nice fit for the TiddlyWiki community. ..

just some thoughts
have fun!
mario
Arlen Beiler
2017-05-15 11:44:29 UTC
Yes, you can run TiddlyWiki 5 on electron. I have done it with both HTML
files and the NodeJS​ code that can be downloaded from NPM or GitHub. It is
fairly easy and works well.
Post by PMario
[...]
msgid/tiddlywiki/5b9cf21a-d147-4e31-b635-f6c7939b517f%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/5b9cf21a-d147-4e31-b635-f6c7939b517f%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
Arlen Beiler
Arlen Beiler