[tw] [Noteself] load error using empty.html ($tw.boot.boot is not a function)
Lost Admin
2017-08-07 16:33:36 UTC
In my slow but continuing effort to built a full Noteself supporting
environment I noticed something odd.

If I go to https://noteself.github.io/online/, there is a nice quick
green. It all happens with a single call to the URL.

If I download the empty.html from https://noteself.github.io/ (a button
near the bottom of the page) and put the resulting file on my own static
web server (https://wiki.suntrap.ca/noteself.html), there is a series of
several reloads from the server before it finally shows up. I have
confirmed this with both the Firefox developer console and the server logs
on wiki.suntrap.ca.

In addition, the console log in the developer tools of Firefox shows an
error each time there is a reload. The error (tabs expanded) is below.

I suspect there is a bug of some sort in the empty.html that is not in the
"online" version used in noteself.github.io.
Lost Admin
2017-08-07 16:54:56 UTC
I have now tried this with Firefox 54, MS Edge, and IE 11. IE 11 does not
exhibit the reloading behavior.

*Firefox (repeating in access log)*

"GET /noteself.html HTTP/1.1" 200 404453 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0;
WOW64; rv:54.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/54.0"

*Edge (repeating in access log)*

"GET /noteself.html HTTP/1.1" 200 245760 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0;
Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/52.0.2743.116
Safari/537.36 Edge/15.15063"

*IE 11 (only once in access log)*

"GET /noteself.html HTTP/1.1" 200 404453 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT
10.0; WOW64; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko"

I don't have chrome at home to test with.
Lost Admin
2017-08-08 12:26:32 UTC
Now that I'm at work, I can add Chrome 59 to my list. It works without
issue.

I'm thinking it might be something to do with either Firefox in general or
my particular set-up of Firefox. Can someone else see if it's doing the
same multiple-reload thing for you too or if it's just me?
Lost Admin

RichardWilliamSmith
2017-09-19 21:37:37 UTC
Sorry I hadn't seen this thread before I posted previously. This is the
same issue that I'm having, on both Chrome and Firefox. The issue is not
present when the same file is loaded over the file api.
<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-a8HOeRRexHQ/WYm4EEE6K4I/AAAAAAAAAG0/kzkkYza2b-k0nzDC1s-I348l6tqAW8CHACLcBGAs/s1600/Noteself%2BChrome%2BError.PNG>
Danielo Rodríguez
2017-09-21 11:09:25 UTC
Hello everyone,

This is very inconvenient, and very hard to trace.
Lost Admin, If I open the link you have provided it reloads the page a
couple of times, but after that it then starts to work and from that point
the page no longer crashes or reloads. The page crashes randomly at first
because it has to create the required environment, and it creates a part of
it each time it reloads. This is NOT by design, but it happens, and it only
happens on the offline version.

As time passes, it is getting harder and harder to keep both versions (the
online and offline ones) on sync, and sometimes it takes time that I would
better invest in developing NoteSelf itself.

The fact that I can't reproduce the issue on any of my computers or mobile
devices does not help neither: for me it always works, an it's quite
frustrating. I'm thinking about hidding the offline version a bit more and
put a disclamer about it's beta stage.

Lost Admin
2017-09-21 14:00:49 UTC
On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 7:09:26 AM UTC-4, Danielo Rodríguez
Post by Danielo Rodríguez
Hello everyone,
This is very inconvenient, and very hard to trace.
Lost Admin, If I open the link you have provided it reloads the page a
couple of times, but after that it then starts to work and from that point
the page no longer crashes or reloads. The page crashes randomly at first
because it has to create the required environment, and it creates a part of
it each time it reloads. This is NOT by design, but it happens, and it only
happens on the offline version.
Likewise, it only happened to me on the version I got from your download
button. To reproduce it I had to clear all data from Firefox, which is
surprisingly difficult.
Post by Danielo Rodríguez
As time passes, it is getting harder and harder to keep both versions (the
online and offline ones) on sync, and sometimes it takes time that I would
better invest in developing NoteSelf itself.
The fact that I can't reproduce the issue on any of my computers or mobile
devices does not help neither: for me it always works, an it's quite
frustrating. I'm thinking about hidding the offline version a bit more and
put a disclamer about it's beta stage.
That is your choice and I respect it. But if I can't host everything on my
own system(s), I will look for something else. Self-hosting is part of what
got me looking at TiddlyWiki and the offline/online mode(s) of NoteSelf
combined with the per-tiddler conflict resolution got me very interested
in NoteSelf.