[tw] AutoPill (beta) - Parser to automatically turn any word into a tag pill (if it's a tag)
Add Reply
David Szego
2017-03-22 02:08:56 UTC
Hi all,

I needed a way to dynamically give me cross-links within my Wiki, but I
couldn't MakeEverything a CamelCase link. And I didn't want to <<tag
manually>> wrap everything in appropriate <<tag tags>>.

So, here's a beta of a parser that looks through all non-system tags, finds
matches in the text of a Tiddler, and wraps them with a <<smalltag ... >>
macro. (This is just a better-behaving Tag macro).

It needs a bit of work in the RegEx dept. I've got a RegEx in mind, but it
fails in TW. (Works great in various online testers).

Try it at http://david.szego.me/autopill.html

Cheers,
David.
David Szego
2017-03-23 15:07:05 UTC
Bump ... Much more usable version, go give it a try if you haven't already,
or update the .js Tiddler if you've been playing with it.

Cheers,
David.
2017-03-23 18:50:38 UTC
I'm not ignoring it. Its just the particular implementation is not so
useful to me. BUT I am very interested in how to automate taggery. Both
FROM extant TW Tags and TO freshly create new Tags.

My particular use case is being into Twitter. I often author using
#hashtags in text. The little gizmo that you looked at before from
tesseract was part written in reply to me about how to automate creation of
TW Tags from Twitter posts written in TW with #hashtags. A few interesting
cases came up like #Buddhist & #buddhist (equivalent on Twitter) end up in
TW as both "buddhist" & "Buddhist" tags.

The mechanism to only deal with strings starting with a delimiter I do
think has value. A possible issue with your implementation is Taggitis? :-).

NOT that this is that much to do with what you are doing, but I thought it
worth mentioning.

Best wishes, and interest
Josiah
2017-03-29 11:22:36 UTC
Ciao David

I have been thinking about your method of Auto-Tagging & ways I might
benefit form it.

I have a Use Case that may be of interest ...

- AIM: Analyse the novel Great Expectations for the occurrence of
characters (like Tags: Pip, Estella, Havisham, Jaggers, Drummle ...)

- HELPFUL AID: Auto tagging ALL the occurrence of NAMES of characters in
the text so a student could get a useful visual sense of the pattern of
occurrence.

This leads me to some thoughts ...

1 - That the Auto-Tagging Gizmo be able to be TOGGLED on/off. Its very
useful but it could also be over "noisy" as a perpetual thing in texts.
Being able to toggle it on and off would, I think make it much more useful
to someone like me.

2 - Taking that further ... an awkward? thought ... that the addition of
in-text Auto-Pills could also just be done on strings in the text from a
"Picklist", rather than from extant tags? In other words the tags are
created dynamically according to what is on a "Picklest". Hope this is
clear?

Just thoughts.

David Szego
2017-03-29 15:20:48 UTC
I have a Use Case that may be of interest ...
- HELPFUL AID: Auto tagging ALL the occurrence of NAMES of characters in
the text so a student could get a useful visual sense of the pattern of
occurrence.
Great use case... Make the names a Tag, and they get highlighted.

1 - That the Auto-Tagging Gizmo be able to be TOGGLED on/off. Its very
useful but it could also be over "noisy" as a perpetual thing in texts.
Being able to toggle it on and off would, I think make it much more useful
to someone like me.

Now *that* I'm excited about! And as soon as I read it I realized how easy
it would be, what a great suggestion! I'll work on it tonight or tomorrow
when I have some time. Basically put a button beside the tags on the header
of the Tiddler, which changes the <<smalltag>> macro to return a button
wrapper or return just the word.

Love it, would be useful for me too!

2 - Taking that further ... an awkward? thought ... that the addition of
in-text Auto-Pills could also just be done on strings in the text from a
"Picklist", rather than from extant tags? In other words the tags are
created dynamically according to what is on a "Picklist". Hope this is
clear?

I'd make that a separate plugin, but it's an interesting idea.
Alex Hough
2017-05-15 09:54:04 UTC
Hi

I think autopill could be very useful, especially now we have drag and drop

@David - the link above is broken, is the plugin still online

Alex
Post by David Szego
Post by @TiddlyTweeter
[...]
msgid/tiddlywiki/99db9e55-ef69-4150-b677-95de37db86e7%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/99db9e55-ef69-4150-b677-95de37db86e7%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>