[tw] [TW5] Windows Desktop Interactive TiddlyWiki 5
2017-06-24 09:33:15 UTC
Hi all in this wonderful community,

I have only recently started to get serious with TW5 after years of
TiddlyWiki Classic.

I just wanted to put it out there and seek your input to my current
project, building "Windows Desktop Interactive TiddlyWiki's", by which I
mean that I am using TiddlyWiki 5 instances to build and support my use of
the Windows desktop environment. Managing folders and their contents,
documenting file locations, network locations, Network devices,
highlighting important documents and settings, even launching applications
or documenting troubleshooting tips and settings. The idea includes the
creation of what I call Micro-sites using tiddlywiki for whatever I fancy.

You could say I want to enable TiddlyWiki to become a "first class citizen"
when it comes to the Local operating system.

*My setup*
My preferred browser is FireFox but I use Chrome as well.
I have a node.JS install, but also independent wikis.

Please let me know your thoughts and any inspiration you have, along with
plugins and tips you think may add value.

*Examples so far*

- Using standard TiddlyWiki external Links I can document the Web admin
addresses of routers, open and read text and config files.
- Using Import, Drag and Drop I can document setting and text files and
more
- From inside TiddlyWiki or the Browser session, I can browse the file
system, open file and network locations in Windows Explorer, and Microsoft
Office application documents (any registered file types from inside FireFox.
- Using the FireFox "Local File System Links" Add-on/extension, With
the execute files option checked (not wise browsing the internet)
- I can launch native applications
- Launch batches, and Presumably power-shell scripts

*Some things I would like to do,*

- Include an image of a Graphical map of my network with hotspot clicks
to go to that device, backed up by device info and settings
- Build a open tasks related apps menu
- Nice Graphical application launcher

Of course I will share back my progress and consolidated findings to the
community

Thanks in Advance
2017-06-24 18:05:48 UTC
Ciao TonyM
Post by TonyM
You could say I want to enable TiddlyWiki to become a "first class
citizen" when it comes to the Local operating system.
It's interesting as its far to bespoke. Its not so easy to explain as you
can't really demo it since there is, inevitably, local configuration in how
TW & the browser negotiate with the OS that can't be easily replicated.

Maybe, later you could post *screen shots* of it working, *or a video*?

I think its a superb use of TW to Desktop Manage, and I'm aware you can go
a long way with it. But it does involve quite a lot of background
knowledge. Its explanation of that background knowledge that, I think, is
needed so others are are able to benefit.
Post by TonyM
*Some things I would like to do,*
- Include an image of a Graphical map of my network with hotspot
clicks to go to that device, backed up by device info and settings
Would Mat's nice CSS "Bubble Map" of lists help? *(I can't find it, I'll
write Mat)*. Or Tiddly Map could be adapted to it? Possibly also embedded
Visio diagrams (though I'm not sure Visio lets you create HTML "clickable
maps" any longer)?

The way that programs get invoked by the OS is an interesting theme. As
browsers are going its getting harder to directly invoke any program. But
the "download" mechanism is pretty universal and a fall-back that the OS
can intercept, so whilst the TW thinks its downloading, the OS can be set
to consider it a call to open a file of that type (at least on desktops).
An issue I had is that the file opened can be a copy in a temp folder,
rather than the original. And the behaviour is not always consistent, for
reasons I do not understand.

There are some Firefox add-ons that still manage to open Office documents
for edit directly in the browser.

FWIW, in the Editor in TW I use the Firefox Add-On Its All Text
<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-uS/firefox/addon/its-all-text/>to enable
easier editing for larger texts. Previously there was a Firefox gizmo like
this that could handle many formats. Its gone, a victim of Firefox changes.
Now, basically, external editing can usually only be set to one file type
using that simple (editing area) add-on. But it works. I'd be interested if
you knew of any alternative ways that recognised more than plain text. BJ's
add on that enables CKEditor HTML editing is handy, but in a way its
overkill if you can use a fully external editing solution without any TW
plugin needed.

2017-06-24 18:59:14 UTC
TonyM - this sounds very exciting and I'll follow this closely.
Post by TonyM
- Include an image of a Graphical map of my network with hotspot
clicks to go to that device, backed up by device info and settings
Would Mat's nice CSS "Bubble Map" of lists help? *(I can't find it, I'll
write Mat)*. Or Tiddly Map could be adapted to it? Possibly also embedded
Visio diagrams (though I'm not sure Visio lets you create HTML "clickable
maps" any longer)?
I don't know what you're referring to Jeremiah.

...HOWEVER, I've over the past week been working on something cool that
will be released within very shortly. While not it's primary purpose, I
think it should make it possible to easily create "graphical maps of a
network". :-)

2017-06-24 19:09:39 UTC
Mat,

No one called me Jeremiah before. Am I getting too biblical? :-)

The Bubble Thing, I think you tried do family trees in it. It was a visual
tree using LI with excellent CSS formatting.

Don't force me to look you up.

Josiah, x

2017-06-25 11:00:57 UTC
@Tony

I'll try to remember to post a message here also for it.

The thing Josiah referred to as bubble thing is the family tree
<http://familytree.tiddlyspot.com/>.

@Josiah

Why, Jeremiah is obviously the well established term when addressing both
you and Jeremy at the same time. One could possibly argue that "why the
heck would I bring in Jeremy in this", but that is of course a different
matter. I'm sure Toniah agrees.

<:-)
2017-06-25 00:43:21 UTC
Thanks Josiah,

Let me add a little more than my first post, I will endeavor to share some
screen shots in time.

I hope to build a set of plugins, tips and practices, perhaps an instance
of TW5 with appropriate plugins and Browser/OS notes for use on a computer
to manage and document local resources.
Here are a few more examples
*Create a tiddler with the readme text from a command line utility and
provide prepared links to execute various command parameter variations eg;
sysinternals
*Drag and drop the hosts file into the wiki and create a link to launch
notepad or other default text editor
*Display a link to a file IF Exists
*Execute a command line and pipe the output into a tiddler (with Node.JS
this seems practical)

You mention Background knowledge. Well I can contribute Windows OS
knowledge from working with it since before Windows 3.1, I wonder what
other diciplins would help. I would love to add android, Unix and MAC
features as well.

I will look into Bubble Map and Tiddler Map thanks.

The Execute from browser is a real issue, just as saving tiddlywikis has
being. TiddlyFox - TiddlyWiki for Firefox is a life saver. One approach I
have is to create a FireFox Profile called Local which has the desktop
permissive plugins including the execute option in the aforementioned
"Local File System Links" add-on. I think there may be a way to open
external links in another profile and keep the local profile as the only
one able to do local execute etc... I would love to see this option built
into tiddlyfox, so you could nominate a tiddlywiki for local execute,

I think there may be an opportunity to monitor a download folder and have
the Local machine respond, but there is a lot to be gained from
adding/using file associations in the OS and mime types in the browser.

Yes, With office 365 installed, you can get great access to local office
applications, with "Local File System Links" add-on I can browse to
file://c:/User/Tony/Documents and click on a document to open in the
application.

I love the "Its all text plugin" as well, and are currently using it off
TiddlyWiki Classic for large tiddlers. I will investigate CKEditor HTML
editing.

Thanks for your feedback Josiah
Post by @TiddlyTweeter
Ciao TonyM
2017-07-02 09:08:03 UTC
An update on executing Windows OS commands from within tiddlywiki

I have a reasonable solution, which could be improved upon

I managed to create a custom exporter using copies of the following tiddlers

$:/core/templates/exporters/TidFile

$:/language/Exporters/TidFile

$:/core/templates/tid-tiddler

The custom exporter exports the command and parameter fields only from a
custom tiddler to a custom file type/extension

When I want to execute a documented command tiddler I use the toolbar
export option and select as type "command" (my name). This will prompt me
to save this "tiddler" or command.

As I always save downloads in a fixed folder and they go there.

I have a looping batch file that looks for the appearance of these files in
the download directory (I will run it when I have a command to execute the
first time), the batchfile moves them to a folder and runs the command in
the command shell, then deletes them.

I can even open notepad on the hosts file, or run applications not known by
firefox. Using the start commend I can leverage all windows file
associations.

I can generalise this and publish if anyone is interested.

I suppose now a button or links to export current tiddler using the
specific file type more easily, or a feature like tiddlyfox that permits
saving these file types without prompting would make it better.

My feeling is this approach is somewhat immune from hacking because of the
minimal user intervention required, and I am using this on a tiddlywiki
dedicated to the local machine only, not hosted.

Your thought please,
Tony
2017-07-03 13:21:59 UTC
Ciao TonyM

Am I right in thinking that this gets round the issue that when you click
on most local file links in browsers they download the file type to the
download folder. And what you are aiming to do is open the originals? Have
I understood?

You are using TW to construct the command lines? Right? And they get
executed by an external batching mechanism. That is very interesting. I'm
not sure how easily it could generalise, but its definitely interesting.

I was kinda thinking about it the other way around. You push the browser to
register many file types the OS already knows. They get downloaded and
auto-invoked in a "download folder" for editing. Then you have a mechanism
to copy them back "home" after changes.

One thing seems clear, with browsers as they have become, you will need
some "gizmo" outside them to do part of the magic.

2017-07-04 01:02:29 UTC
Josiah,

It is not quite like your first paragraph below.

Given Office 365 support clicking on local links to Office documents allow
me to open or save (already), I open them and the app launches editing the
original local file. Outside the document types already supported for
viewing in the browser such as PDF and Txt (read Only) I use this "export
as command" process from a custom tiddler, the custom export places the
command line with parameters in the exported/downloaded file example
commands "C:\Users\Tony\Dropbox\PortableApps\Start.exe" OR "notepad
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts." If however you use "Start
filename.ext" the start command will execute the app with the file
association to ext. Yes, the result is I open the original local file in a
desktop application.

I have not generalised the batch file yet but here is the guts inside a loop

if exist C:\Users\Tony\Downloads\*.tidact echo tidact file(s) for processing
if exist C:\Users\Tony\Downloads\*.tidact move
C:\Users\Tony\Downloads\*.tidact C:\Data\batches\tidact\
if exist C:\Data\batches\tidact\*.tidact for %%A in
(C:\Data\batches\tidact\*.tidact) Do call :actions "%%A"

the the :action section moves, renames, executes and deletes the file.

It may be possible to help install this batch process using the command
execution process itself (more thought required)

I hope than throws more light on it?

2017-07-17 08:38:47 UTC
Another Update in this Quest

I am now running a local nodeJS instance of tiddlywiki on each of my
windows machines (and incidently my Android phone). I use windows scheduler
to launch the nodeJS instance on startup so the server is available before
I login. If I am logged in the variouse UNC and File or folder links are
processed by the firefox addon "Local file system links" and will open a
windows explorer windows on folders direct from a click in tiddlywiki. If
browsing a folder from inside firefox I can click on a known file type and
it opens in the app eg; Office 365 apps, if the filetype is unknown I can
r-click > Link Addon > Open containing folder and simply pressing enter
will launch the program or the filetype associated program.

Using the Family tree stylesheet I have now created a simple map of Network
locations eg;

Now combined with my aformentioned OS Command execution I am well on the
way to making the Desktop Interactive TiddlyWiki.

2017-07-17 16:53:50 UTC
are you using Mat's "Bubble Thing" for that flow?

its looking good. i don't think you need folders TWICE ...

josiah x
2017-07-17 16:56:51 UTC
i wonder I it could be made into a plugin? probably not. but maybe for one
platform? even so ...?

your thoughts?
2017-07-18 02:01:11 UTC
I did remove the larger folder icons, The yellow ones are generated by the
FireFox Plugin. A plugin I imagin may fail in future FF updates. I think it
needs to be in the Browser rather than tiddlywiki to access Windows
Explorer.

I would love to see stronger intergration with the local computer where
ever it comes from. The security issues can be overcome, it just needs the
will.

Jeebus K
2017-08-11 13:58:28 UTC
This looks like a good effort, I have a different project in mind but
similar requirements. I'm still struggling to understand how to make a
basic plugin, however I was thinking a modification of TiddlyDesktop would
be a good way to implement an API for local access?

I'm assuming it's open source as well.