[tw5] Request - tiddler type for bullets
David Gifford
2018-08-09 21:35:04 UTC
Hi all

Well I will be bold and ask - I don't even know if this can be done. I
remember there was a WYSIWYG plugin, but I stopped using it because it
prevented me from using the regular edit toolbar buttons.

What would be really cool is if there were a way to create a special
tiddler type that acts in a way that all new lines rendered as bullet
points, and all tabs rendered as indented bullet points. In other words,
bulleted lists that act as they do in Microsoft Word and outliner programs
like Dynalist and Workflowy.

Why? Because bulleted lists are quite common but always require shift + 8
or the wrap button, but the wrap button doesn't take indented bullets into
account. And because many of us are used to the ease of bullets in Word and
outliner programs.

I say a tiddler type because obviously there would also be need for regular
tiddlers for tables and much more that wouldn't work that way.

Is this even possible? Some times I don't know if I am asking for the moon
or if my ideas are just a 15 minute spells concocted by the wizards here.

Blessings
Mat
2018-08-09 23:13:56 UTC
OK, you ask for a "special tiddler type". Regarding that particular aspect,
I can't answer. But regarding turning new lines into bullet lines I answer
this;

If you by "new line" mean double row breaks like you do to make paragraphs
in TW normally, then it should be no problem. If you by new line mean to
merely break the line which normally in TW doesn't register, then this
takes a little more.

The former is probably merely to style paragraphs to show a bullet before
each <p>

The latter can use parts of my newtids <http://newtids.tiddlyspot.com/>
macro where such single linebreaks are detected and maniuplated.

<:-)
David Gifford
2018-08-09 23:21:18 UTC
I could live with it being double row breaks.

So double row breaks would tell TW to render it as a bullet, and then a tab
would tell it to render as an indented bullet. Not sure how it would work
to indicate either

1) multiple indents

or

2) return to 1st level bullets

David Gifford
Mexico team leader, Mexico City

*Resonate Global Mission*
*Engaging People. Embracing Christ.*
A Ministry of the Christian Reformed Church
resonateglobalmission.org
Post by Mat
OK, you ask for a "special tiddler type". Regarding that particular
aspect, I can't answer. But regarding turning new lines into bullet lines I
answer this;
If you by "new line" mean double row breaks like you do to make paragraphs
in TW normally, then it should be no problem. If you by new line mean to
merely break the line which normally in TW doesn't register, then this
takes a little more.
The former is probably merely to style paragraphs to show a bullet before
each <p>
The latter can use parts of my newtids <http://newtids.tiddlyspot.com/>
macro where such single linebreaks are detected and maniuplated.
<:-)
msgid/tiddlywiki/4cb7063c-5641-461c-8d3b-3492e23f6acd%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/4cb7063c-5641-461c-8d3b-3492e23f6acd%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.
Mat
2018-08-10 00:36:03 UTC
Dave, when answering before I glossed over that bit about rendering tabs as
something else. That is not so easy. I'm pretty sure it can be done but
that is not so easy.

The bullets before each paragraph is simple though and that idea with
"tiddler of certain type" is almost fulfilled; you toggle it by tagging the
tiddler (in this case tag "bull"). Here's the stylesheet:

title: Stylesheet/bullets
tages: $:/tags/Stylesheet
text:
[data-tags*="bull"] .tc-tiddler-body p:before {
content:"⊁";
margin-left:1.5em;
margin-right:.7em;
}

I hope it's a step on the way at least.

<:-)
David Gifford
2018-08-10 01:38:25 UTC
Thanks Mat, it's a step.

Post by Mat
Dave, when answering before I glossed over that bit about rendering tabs
as something else. That is not so easy. I'm pretty sure it can be done but
that is not so easy.
The bullets before each paragraph is simple though and that idea with
"tiddler of certain type" is almost fulfilled; you toggle it by tagging the
title: Stylesheet/bullets
tages: $:/tags/Stylesheet
[data-tags*="bull"] .tc-tiddler-body p:before {
content:"⊁";
margin-left:1.5em;
margin-right:.7em;
}
I hope it's a step on the way at least.
<:-)
msgid/tiddlywiki/8bbfb303-70c9-441a-97ac-717bad1a505a%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/8bbfb303-70c9-441a-97ac-717bad1a505a%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.
David Gifford

David Gifford
2018-08-10 02:00:45 UTC
This is not perfect, because I still have to add the : to the second level,
but it is still easier than adding * for even the first level

[data-tags*="bull"]
.tc-tiddler-body p:before { content:"⊁";font-size:16pt;color:#66f; margin-left:1.5em; margin-right:.7em; }
dd:before { content:"⊁";font-size:16pt;color:#66f; margin-left:1.5em; margin-right:.7em; }
TonyM
2018-08-10 01:56:24 UTC
David,

Have you used in wiki text the ; semi-colon and : colon? Please bare with
me on this.

I do a lot, Here is an example to paste into a tiddler

;My Section
:Indented without bullets
::double indented without bullets
:::triple indented without bullets

The Colon acts as leading tabs

Of course the actual bullets work the same

*Indented without bullets
**double indented without bullets
***triple indented without bullets

But the reason I seem to be off topic is because I have crated a
EditorToolBar button that allows me to select multiple rows and add ":" to
the front of each line/paragraph,
This is enough for me to work with content similar to yours.

All I want now is a leading character like the ";" semi-colon that does not
bold its text but does cause the line to break at the end. Or ideally a
character that does both eg |

|here
||one indent
|||Two indent

here
one indent
two indent

Then toolbar buttons to add or remove "|" on multiple lines at a time, and
possible make the tab key insert | (at the beginning of the line) in the
editor.

Make sense?

Tony
David Gifford
2018-08-10 02:13:27 UTC
Hi Tony and Mat

Maybe I am not understanding you, Tony, but adding ; and : and | even on
the first line is no improvement over adding * before every line, and there
is a button to add * before every line.

On another note, when I just tried with text that spills over to the next
line, Mat's idea turns out not so good because the second line of the
paragraph stays left of the bullet.
TonyM
2018-08-10 06:31:02 UTC
Dave,

I understand if you do not see where I am coming from, it is a slight
digression. But to me it solves the same problem by different means,
perhaps you have some preferences or unstated requirements my solution does
not help you with.

The point is one can highlight any piece of wiki text and add * : to lines
one or more times to indent bullets.

A value of this method is such lines act as paragraphs (ending with enter
not <br><br>) and wrap just the way we want. All that remains is to do this
without bold as in the ";" so we can precede every line with that character
and they behave as paragraphs. By having the same character also indent one
tab level after the first we we can simply add and remove that character as
desired.

In the following example I have also followed the ":" with a css class and
this works if you define .q and .a in a style sheet

;Hello
:.q Question
::.a answer

This means you could use css to insert an icon of your choice and other
styling.

The : and * will indent long the text correctly.

Mohammad also pointed out this tip

* One
* """ Two
This is a muliline item!
"""
* Third

But the multi-line can't contain More bullets.

Regards

Tony
David Gifford
2018-08-10 13:32:51 UTC
Ahh now I understand you.

Re-reading your posts in the morning helped me see what you are saying.

I think to restate my request in a simpler way, what I want is to reassign
the tab key to insert asterisks instead of whatever it does now in
TiddlyWiki. (or : or | but * has the advantage of already doing what I want
it to do).

In other words, I want to hit a tab key once, twice or more within a line
to add bullets rather than go back and select and hit editor buttons.

A second but less necessary tweak would be tweaking the enter key so that
it does a new line but also adds an asterisk. That way I could finish a
line, hit enter, and be on the next bullet point, then add additional
bullets with tab. If I wanted a line without a bullet I could just
backspace after using enter to start the new line.

Does this make sense?

Post by David Gifford
[...]
msgid/tiddlywiki/2a20d9db-11bf-4e1b-a3ba-54658499cf56%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/2a20d9db-11bf-4e1b-a3ba-54658499cf56%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.
David Gifford
2018-08-10 13:35:51 UTC
On second thought, scratch the idea about the enter key. That would create
problems for me when going back and editing later. I sometimes like to have
spaces between bullets in edit mode.

TonyM
2018-08-10 23:45:07 UTC
David,

You could use a keystroke tool to get a key to "<newline>*<space>"

On windows I use Auto hot key, which is so powerful you may find your
malware alarms go off. You can assign complex keystrokes to "macros" and
keys.
Two "key" uses I put it to is

- My Numeric pads enter, now moves down a line and to the beginning of
the line (without enter) Great for inserting a character at the beginning
of lines with existing text
- I set the caps lock to behave as the shift key so I do not find myself
SHOUTING any more.

I think sometimes there is value solving problems outside a specific
application (eg; TiddlyWiki) because the solutions then apply to other
applications.

A firefox add in, before the changes called "Its All Text" allowed you to
open an editor of choice on any text field in the browser, I used to use
this to launch NotePadd++ and some other editors that had special features
such as SPFLite (desktop version of Mainframe editors) which has advanced
search and replace and column editing features. I am investigating a
replacement for "Its all text" now.

The point being rather than get your application (tiddlyWiki) to support
your specific need, leverage an editor that specialises in giving you tools
and macros to do what you want, you could even edit text documents that
later become tiddlers.

Not that this is for your use case, but it is worth keeping in mind.

Regards
Tony
Post by David Gifford
[...]
<javascript:>.
David Gifford
2018-08-11 13:13:20 UTC
Thanks for the tip, Tony. If your hot keys idea can be limited to one
application only, or if it can be toggled on and off painlessly, then it
might be an option. Leaving for a weeklong trip to teach a conference. Will
look at it when I have time. Blessings.

Post by David Gifford
[...]
msgid/tiddlywiki/786ec24e-b229-42c6-9e8a-96b17515747c%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/786ec24e-b229-42c6-9e8a-96b17515747c%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.