[tw] Presenting: GRAPHS - pies, bars, scatter and whatever turns you on
2017-07-25 13:26:25 UTC
Directly from the guys at TWaddler Neuro Blast Enterprises...

....extremely proudly to presenting...

Graphs <http://graphs.tiddlyspot.com>

[beta]

I'll be abroad for a few days now so will probably not be
able to communicate much, but please do come with input.

2017-07-25 15:06:22 UTC
Thanks Josiah, fixed.

2017-08-04 21:29:36 UTC
Updates made. (still beta)

Several (probably not noticeable) tweaks have been. The only major feature
change is:

Three "special fields <http://graphs.tiddlyspot.com/#Special%20fields>"
have been introduced, to easily (1)indent the graph, (2)add a header or
(3)a footer. These are probably such common use cases that I wanted to
enable them without CSS knowledge.

@Pit.W - The Gantt macro is approaching readiness - but not quite there
yet.

@Thomas E - I intend to experiment replacing the current calc macro with
your rpn solution, hoping for more efficiency thanks to your wikification
of the output. Also, I note the rpn randomization feature which will enable
a fun idea I have... :-)

Input is more than welcome.

2017-08-04 22:10:11 UTC
As far as I see it reads data from TiddlerS. I think there are lot of
occasions where reading data from ONE Data Dictionary would be Just As Good.

Take the case of doing a search of the novel Great Expectations for the
word occurrence of Biddy, Pip, Miss Havisham, Estella, Wemmick, Jaggers,
Joe, Herbert & Orlick. you won't find those counts in any tiddler. Rather,
they pertain to thousands of paragraphs.

The case would be this kind of outcome in a Data Dictionary:

Wemmick: 107
Pip: 302
Estella: 135
Orlick: 28
Herbert: 98
Jaggers: 72
Joe: 123
Miss Havisham: 102
Biddy: 57

Can your gizmo sail with this easy kind of data counts? Or even make Word
Clouds of them?

Best wishes,
Josiah
Post by Mat
Input is more than welcome.
2017-08-04 22:42:51 UTC
As far as I see it reads data from TiddlerS. I think there are lot of
occasions where reading data from ONE Data Dictionary would be Just As Good.
Hm, interesting - I misunderstood you at first: I think it should be
possible to use one dictionary (or rather, its entries) as input for the
graph, instead of tiddlers. That's a very good idea.

...but you seem to want something else: Using one single *text* as input
and somehow count occurrences of predefined strings, right? The graph macro
is rather kind of the step after; you give it the value you want to
visualize. How to *get* the number to begin with is a totally different
matter.

That said, someone made a word count widget (Thomas?). I would think it
should be tweakable to count specific strings rather than (I assume) space
characters. You could then use a regular list widget and with your funny
names as the filter argument and apply the count widget/macro on one name
at a time to get the desired list.

Or even make Word Clouds of them?
(What the heck!? ;-) Word clouds is exactly the thing I had in mind when I
tried to be mysteriously cryptic in what I would to with the randomization
feature in Thomas' rpn macro. I have actually already experimented with
this a bit, for the Graphs macro, and I'm pretty close to a cool solution
but need a better randomizer than what I currently have
<https://www.sitepoint.com/the-cicada-principle-and-why-it-matters-to-web-designers/>

2017-08-04 23:01:55 UTC
Post by Mat
Post by @TiddlyTweeter
As far as I see it reads data from TiddlerS. I think there are lot of
occasions where reading data from ONE Data Dictionary would be Just As Good.
Hm, interesting - I misunderstood you at first: I think it should be
possible to use one dictionary (or rather, its entries) as input for the
graph, instead of tiddlers. That's a very good idea.
...but you seem to want something else: Using one single *text* as input
and somehow count occurrences of predefined strings, right?
*NO.** I'd have the dictionary done already. *Not your issue. It would be
this ...

Label: count

The basic structure of Data Dictionaries is that.

It would need be ALREADY ready. Data dictionaries could be anything. The
one thing they are NOT, usually, is dynamic data.

Josiah, x
Alex Hough
2017-08-05 06:34:04 UTC
Matt,

you've been busy!
Wow!

Alex
Post by @TiddlyTweeter
Post by Mat
Post by @TiddlyTweeter
As far as I see it reads data from TiddlerS. I think there are lot of
occasions where reading data from ONE Data Dictionary would be Just As Good.
Hm, interesting - I misunderstood you at first: I think it should be
possible to use one dictionary (or rather, its entries) as input for the
graph, instead of tiddlers. That's a very good idea.
...but you seem to want something else: Using one single *text* as input
and somehow count occurrences of predefined strings, right?
*NO.** I'd have the dictionary done already. *Not your issue. It would be
this ...
Label: count
The basic structure of Data Dictionaries is that.
It would need be ALREADY ready. Data dictionaries could be anything. The
one thing they are NOT, usually, is dynamic data.
Josiah, x
msgid/tiddlywiki/aa8daf62-c5e2-430c-b9e0-bf4ef7200711%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/aa8daf62-c5e2-430c-b9e0-bf4ef7200711%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
Danielo Rodríguez

Danielo Rodríguez
2017-08-05 11:32:36 UTC
Can you see my screenshot?

Now that I checked the example on landscape mode I saw the "for you" message, so that "error" may be intentional ?
2017-08-05 21:38:47 UTC
Post by Danielo Rodríguez
Can you see my screenshot?
Now that I checked the example on landscape mode I saw the "for you"
message, so that "error" may be intentional ?
Ah, yes, that is in deed intentional - and it is especially made just for
the demo. Bad idea of mine to demo it with something that can appear like
an error. I do want to show that it's possible to single out slices but
"serving" it above or below doesn't feel aesthetically right, so I'll do
some thinking.

Thanks for pointing it out.

2017-08-08 21:31:51 UTC
Update (still beta)

Main change is not noticeable but the previous calculation plugin has been
exchanged for fellow @Thomas Elmigers rpn plugin! (Thank you Thomas!) It
simplified the code in a few places thanks to the "built in" wikification
of the result and I'm doing some experiments with its randomization feature.

Hopefully fellow Danielo will also be happy with the Pie demo now. The
special slice serving should hopefully show up better on small screens.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

Thomas Elmiger
2017-08-10 13:05:03 UTC
Hi Mat

Great to hear that my rpn plugin is of use to others!

Your remaining problem with chart slices >50% reminds me of a similar
problem you had with CircleBar
 please feel free to steal back from my
variant on https://tid.li/tw5/styles.html in case you want to integrate
something similar in Graphs!

Happy graphing,
Thomas
2017-08-10 15:36:33 UTC
Post by Thomas Elmiger
Your remaining problem with chart slices >50% reminds me of a similar
problem you had with CircleBar
 please feel free to steal back from my
variant on https://tid.li/tw5/styles.html in case you want to integrate
something similar in Graphs!
I had totally forgotten about that. Thanks! I'll see what I can do.

'Stephen Kimmel' via TiddlyWiki
2017-08-14 21:20:57 UTC
Probably I am just exceptionally dense, but I'm having problems with this.

I imported everything listed on the install tiddler, and for good measure
everything tagged demo, demoData, sample and sample2. Demp Pie gives me two
large colored circles. Demo Line gives me graph axis but no graph. Demo
Mapper gives me the text but no graphs. etc. etc. etc. It looks to me as
though there is some critical tiddlers that weren't included in the ones
mentioned on the install tiddler, but I can't figure out which ones they
are.

So... What am I missing here?
2017-08-15 00:36:57 UTC
Stephen, I'll investigate this tomorrow.

2017-08-15 15:44:24 UTC
Update

- Likert scales <http://graphs.tiddlyspot.com/#Demo%20Likert>
- Added a missing tag that caused the problems identified by Stephen
(Thank you Stephen!!!)
- Updated to latest rpn, i.e the "basic math calculations" macro by
Thomas Elmiger (Big thanks Thomas!!!)
- Pies <http://graphs.tiddlyspot.com/#Demo%20Pie> can now handle >50%.
Thanks (again) go to Thomas even if I ended up using another, more
contextual, method to achieve it.
(Unfortunately, my >50% solution sacrificed the pretty box-shading that
gave the pie a 3d look. Not crucial, but still. I'll probably make future
attempts to get it back but it is not prioritized.)

Do keep ideas / opinions on Graphs coming.

Note that "graphs" is not limited to show... well, graphs; The "engine"
just visually presents numerical (or other) data from a list of tiddlers,
where the data set can be treated as a whole or at the individual level. If
you have any "related" tiddlers, graphs might be of use to *present* them.
For example, I'd think(!) one could use it to illustrate

- Board games, such as chess
- Perhaps make exploded views of things, where each thing is a tiddler
- ...more ideas?

'Stephen Kimmel' via TiddlyWiki
2017-08-15 16:00:48 UTC
That, pretty much, takes care of my issue. Now I'm off and running toward
looking at it.

Not to be real picky about this... but I noticed that on the install sheet
you added likert but lost line. And for what it is worth, x-axis and y-axis
are also required to get the Demo-Line to work properly. You might consider
adding the x-axis and y-axis items to the Line tag as well.

Stephen
2017-08-17 19:23:10 UTC
Update <http://graphs.tiddlyspot.com/>

The installation procedure has been much simplified to now serve *one
complete graph per plugin*. See image.

...actually, the blue pills are not plugins but instead "draggable lists"
kind of like tagpills. (Thanks Stef
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/tiddlywiki/UeAf40pUWCw>!)

While Graphs is still in beta, I did some cleaning in the process so
earlier versions may not be fully compatible. To clean out earlier
versions, use some batch deletion to delete everything tagged "graphs".